Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
What to do with all that rare old Stones stuff?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 27, 2015 22:04

For decades I have been collecting vinyl, CDs, printed stuff and everything I picked up during tours and the past decades. All the fan club magazines, 60's, 70's and on. Hola magazines Argentina in duplicates. All the bootlegs. Confetti during the final bows - gold, silver, red, all sorts. Pictures from the pro photographers. All the books. T-shirts, tour posters and so on. But when I am gone it will all end up on the garbage heap I thing. No value for the next generation. I am sort of buddhist way of thinking may be. I don't want anything no more. No things. Just memories.

The books will stay, also all the tickets, pictures, set lists and ticket stubs. But with these modern times, where is my music? I don't stream, I don't play vinyl, my CD player was ditched last week. I don't have any spare time. I would like to have all my rare stuff like Beautiful Delilah, all the minidisc recordings I made during the decades, tapes, acetates and other rare stuff into a large digitized disc available for my own digital network. But how? Anyone into modern storage? Or should I just order a big container and move on to Himalaya after these tours? Am I the only one thinking this way?

Well, may be I am just a bit desperate for the upcoming tour. But I do still miss my music. I just got my mega SONOS but I want to feed it with the best rock'n'roll in the world, just can't figure out how.

Bjornulf

Re: What to do with all that rare old Stones stuff?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 27, 2015 22:15

You could donate it to the Stones' own museum or to the Stones Fan Museum. A description to all the stuff (date, location, context) would be nice so that the curators can allocate it ....

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: February 27, 2015 22:17

I have a storage trunk full of books, tickets, bobbleheads, VHS tapes, tshirts, etc.. I have'nt opened it in 4 years.I was thinking the same thing, what am I to do with all this stuff that I don't even look at anymore ?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: February 27, 2015 22:26

IORR Garage Sale!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 27, 2015 22:32

You are sounding a bit wistful BV....gets me thinking that you are hearing 'this may be it'.

I know you haven't actually said that, so this is just reading between the lines.

I have a lot of material as well, the usual T-shirts, posters, books ticket stubs but the granddaddy has to be all the vinyl and cds.

I like you wonder what use it will be, maybe burden, to the next generation.

At least my 'buying' of this stuff has died down considerably.

Eventually I will create my own 'man cave' where I'll house this stuff and an incredible stereo and wet bar for when friends come over.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 27, 2015 22:42

Optical disks seem like the best long term storage media these days but like everything in that technology field, things are changing rapidly. I'd pay someone to transfer all your music, photos and other stuff that can be digitized to a Blu-Ray type optical disk so you can have easy access for years to come. I must admit your post kind of scares me concerning the fate of the IORR site and data.

I don't think you're alone in losing attachment to the things you have accumulated in your youth. We spend half our lives accumulating stuff and the other half trying to get rid of it. The only real accumulations that have meaning (and value) to me these days are guitars and real estate. I've got a large barn full of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of old recording and studio gear that stresses me out every time I think about it.

But if you want to get rid of your memorabilia, I know someone with a fan site which has a Buy/Sell/Trade section that might be of use. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 27, 2015 22:56

Great subject. I've been down sizing for a couple years now. But at the same time I'm collecting only rare (and valuable to me) kind of records and cds. Funny that you say it will all go in the trash because I've been saying that for quite a long time now. My friends give me strange looks when I say such things. I mean why buy all that stuff in the first place? I can't dispute that. But it has been a lot of fun. I always say if I had a parking lot full of Ferraris it wouldn't come close to the enjoyment my Rock And Roll collection has given me. So, I guess it's all in the way you see things. No shame in changing, if it doesn't turn you on anymore it is a good idea to change the situation. Some people say they're happy with less posessions. I believe it. Happy trails to you BV and everyone else in the same situation.

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: February 27, 2015 23:08

I also have shelves of Stones material, mainly music, video, "boots" and books. I wish I had thought more like a collector. I met MJ in a Borders in Chicago the day after the opening night of the Bridges tour, and met McCartney in '76 and watched two days of rehearsals in Ft. Worth at Will Rogers Coliseum. All I have is the memory of handshakes and bumming a cigarette from McCartney, in exchange for a sip from my Coke. My daughter who has 1,000's of pictures on her phone can't believe that I have no pictures to show of my encounters!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 27, 2015 23:15

rtr
I also have shelves of Stones material, mainly music, video, "boots" and books. I wish I had thought more like a collector. I met MJ in a Borders in Chicago the day after the opening night of the Bridges tour, and met McCartney in '76 and watched two days of rehearsals in Ft. Worth at Will Rogers Coliseum. All I have is the memory of handshakes and bumming a cigarette from McCartney, in exchange for a sip from my Coke. My daughter who has 1,000's of pictures on her phone can't believe that I have no pictures to show of my encounters!

Yeah, it was a lot harder to get pics before the mobile phone cameras. I'm like you, probably wouldn't have asked, although I might today. You know, rtr, it's the memories, anyway, that count most. And the two gentleman probably appreciated you all the more for refraining from the photo op.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 23:17 by angee.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: February 27, 2015 23:24

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: February 27, 2015 23:33

I think about this too but not to the same degree as BV. Vinyl and books I have no trouble hanging on to. I listen to vinyl records every day. I've often thought that if I was dying of cancer or something I'd give away my 3000 LPs to a local indie store that has treated me well over the years. (My wife doesn't want 'em and we're child-free.) However, I have about ten cartons of magazines(not just Stones), many dating to the 60s and 70s that I figure are going to wind up in the recycling bin one of these days. It has to be at least ten years since I've looked at any of them. No regrets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-27 23:33 by Roscoe.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 27, 2015 23:45

marry a Beatles fan and let them have the joy of destroying it all ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 27, 2015 23:52

Bjornulf - when your stuff is ready for the garbage heap, let me know where you live and I'll drive over. I'm in South Florida!smoking smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: February 28, 2015 00:00

Leonard Nimoy
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.

BV...Here's your answer from Nimoy.. "Live long and prosper." Mr BV..
"

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 28, 2015 00:10

BV, come on, man, haven't you cultivated one young Stones fan along the way that would cherish what you have built? I collect hardbacks, with dust jacket if I can, of mainly classic novels. I read them and then initial them in a little corner in the back of the book. When I am gone these books will end up in the hands of my god daughter, who loves books. She in turn will read them and leave her initials....and so on.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 28, 2015 00:24

Get in touch with Bill Wyman.........maybe start a museum like the Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburgh but in Dartford.......god knows that place could do with a tourist attraction.......

I know Mick loves the idea of being in a museum....grinning smiley .....vis-a-vis Video Rewind

I'm currently transferring my music to my external HD and then I'm going to offer the physical CDs to the local University music library, free of charge of course,,,,,

Also, I'll have a few dozen of the best recordings on CD ready to play.......

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-28 04:06 by EddieByword.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: February 28, 2015 01:50

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:13 by camper88.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 28, 2015 02:03

As far as your music goes, convert all audio to digital format (mp3 or AAC, flac's are too big)...then save to removable usb hard drive(s).

STAY AWAY FROM THE CLOUDS. DO YOU REALLY TRUST OTHER PEOPLE WITH YOUR STUFF?

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 28, 2015 02:07

Ask someone (or a professional service) to digitize all your musical rarities. Have them on a hard drive and on an online storage service.
Then write a book with all the other things (ala Bill Wyman's Rolling With The Stones) and sell it by thousands (10 thousands?).

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: February 28, 2015 05:21

What a really interesting subject 2 weeks shy of my 50th birthday. I've been collecting Stones "stuff" for nearly 30 years and have been having same thoughts as BV in recent months. Luckily my 10 year old son is a fan and I've told him it's all his to do with as he pleases.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: February 28, 2015 05:55

I agree with all the comments. Books, Vinyl Boots, cd's t-shirts ( when I was smaller- clearly) from 70's mostly, boxes of complete NME from 80's.

I wonder too (I'm 60 this year)

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: February 28, 2015 06:35

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:13 by camper88.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 28, 2015 06:37

There's only one thing you should do in my opinion:

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 28, 2015 11:39

^^ Ha ha! grinning smiley

I don't really care what happens to all my stuff when I'm gone, but I have no interest in losing any of it now. I collected it so that I can enjoy it, and in fact I just had a bunch of stuff that had been in storage for years finally shipped to me--I've been reveling in memories and enjoying them all. The music I've got on vinyl and CD, plus mp3, and I'm not planning on parting with any of that, either! smiling smiley (And this all doesn't just apply to the Stones, of course. Pretty much any music that meant a lot to me still means a lot to me.)

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 28, 2015 13:40

I have the same problem . I have a room packed floor to ceiling with memorabilia .
I'm single and haven't got any children . I fear it will all go in the trash bin .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 28, 2015 13:57

Serious, reflective post and concern of our moderator. I think it reflects the situation when 'all is said and done' - the things that used to be so valuable to us, what are those soon when there is no longer 'us', or we are too old to care? This is not only an issue of Rolling Stones, but of 'rock culture' in general, when the big heyday generations - 60's, 70's and 80's - are 'gone'. It is in the hands of those people - us - who keep the 'rate' of the whole thing high, because it has such a big personal (subjective) value. Its worth is still 'given' and taken for granted, and we are treated with whatever kind of books, reissues, vaults stuff, and the old items, such as original vinyls, have a high collector value. Still. But for how long?

I think the Stones realized the situation not one minute too early. Quite the opposite. They should have started opening the vaults a decade - or even two - earlier as they did. Not only that thanks to new techology and chancing of the mediums, their potential target audience - those who really are interested in stuff like that - is not really getting younger. With the Stones that is understable, because their actual interest is playing live, and they have put their energy there (in where the actual big money is). They probably are using better than any of their contemporaries the nostalgia card.

As far as collecting stuff personally go, I actually lost interest in that some two decades ago (at the time when vinyl business was starting to be dead). Before that I was a passionate collector, even a completist in my little and moderate sense of the word. After that it has been mostly the memories, new experiences, and 'mental' things like that, without much need for physical items in my possession. Just hearing and seeing new releases in some kind of form is enough for me. For me writing here - putting all that in words - has been my kind version of being a fan. Writing, thinking out loud, is just explicating what happens in mind. Or we could say that that's my version of 'Buddhism' BV talks about...grinning smiley

Probably my (now 9 years old) kid can cope with the 'heritage', which basically is just a collection of vinyl albums plus some books, DVDs, etc. Anyway, I have started collecting all my writings here at IORR, and it is my plan at the the moment to put them in one piece, and that when I am dead and gone, that is to go with the vinyl collection and the rest (or maybe I should do like BV, to put all the stuff into one electrical form; that's more handy). A kind of personal guide to all that stuff. Be it my son - or grandchildren - who will get some idea what his dad/granddad was doing and what was going on in his mind at his spare moments. There are some other stuff I have written for my living him/they might read some day, but I think this passionate hobby reflection is more intimate and probably funnier...

- Doxa

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-28 14:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 28, 2015 14:37

I dont have many items and sadly no children to leave it too and have visions of informing my wife to fill my coffin up with dvds and cds or what ever is going at that time.

I hope some of the nieces and nephews will take a few of the posters for memories, but i wont hold my breath.

I think also somewhere down the line we will also be down sizing and that might be the wake up call to have a good think about items.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: February 28, 2015 14:42

. Maybe try to sell it for what it's worth, and give the money to charity ?
. The museum-idea is very nice as well

I have had the same ideas as everyone here, and I wonder : how do Beatle fans or how did Elvis fans handle this problem ?

It's such a strange idea that the next generation will not be interested. We're all so spoiled these days.I remember enjoying getting every disc I could, no matter the music on it. I was just happy to have my own discs.It was like a treasure. What treasure do the young people have, nowadays ? Everything is allready oldfashioned, the moment you walk out of the store.

I'm 52 years, and I'm not very jealous on the next generation, concerning this subject.
The internet brings wonderfull things, but destroys some others, on the other hand. Everything can be found or heard in a minute time, but it's the journey to get there, which is nice, not only the destination.

I'll have a drink and get melancholic. Maybe play some Stones....

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 28, 2015 16:09

Ecclesiastes 3:1: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 3:2: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3:5: A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing: 3:6: A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 28, 2015 16:13

Stoneage
Ecclesiastes 3:1: To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: 3:2: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3:5: A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing: 3:6: A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away.

So, you're saying it's time to cast away the stones?!?! eye popping smiley

...or gather stones together (great news for MT and Bill!)

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home