Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Feel on baby
Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 24, 2015 23:23

Listened to it today -for the first time in 20 years - and was very surprised.

Never been a fan of Undercover but I really like this tune.

Is it a leftover from the late seventies?

Re: Feel on baby
Date: February 24, 2015 23:26

No, a track from the Undercover sessions. Perfection thumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 24, 2015 23:26

The extended 12" version is da KILLER ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 24, 2015 23:44

I just listened to Tattoo You and Undercover back to back yesterday after a while of not listening to Undercover. Usually I post that Undercover is half and half, that is, half worthy material and half overproduced throwaways, because I always expected for them to pull off a Tattoo You II that year, and because half the record is bare-bones seventies-style Stones and half is club-funk dance music with a lot of the production values and sounds that so typified the eighties club dance vibe. So I liked the whole album, I guess I was just in the right mood to accept it all the way through, and it really is a great album on its own. It's unique in the Stones canon, and in retrospect is a really great achievement, where a sixties band blends credibly with the eighties and manages to sound like they belong there, like they want to be there.

So now I'll have to find a bootleg CD of the outtakes....

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 25, 2015 00:10

stonehearted

They can be found here: [www.iorr.org] .

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 25, 2015 00:17

Thanks! thumbs up

Date: February 25, 2015 00:17

stonehearted
I just listened to Tattoo You and Undercover back to back yesterday after a while of not listening to Undercover. Usually I post that Undercover is half and half, that is, half worthy material and half overproduced throwaways, because I always expected for them to pull off a Tattoo You II that year, and because half the record is bare-bones seventies-style Stones and half is club-funk dance music with a lot of the production values and sounds that so typified the eighties club dance vibe. So I liked the whole album, I guess I was just in the right mood to accept it all the way through, and it really is a great album on its own. It's unique in the Stones canon, and in retrospect is a really great achievement, where a sixties band blends credibly with the eighties and manages to sound like they belong there, like they want to be there.

thumbs up

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 25, 2015 00:18

...interesting track ...but underrated at its time....like the whole album....!

Date: February 25, 2015 00:24

The Undercover Outtakes is a lovely boot. That, and the Chainsaw Rocker is a must-have!

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: February 25, 2015 00:26

Rockman
The extended 12" version is da KILLER ......

smoking smileysmoking smiley Havent heard this version before. Awesome....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 25, 2015 00:27

stonehearted

Have always loved this album.

Date: February 25, 2015 01:21

Excellent song. the 12" is even better.
This song always reminds me of "Can U hear the Music"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 25, 2015 03:30

DandelionPowderman
No, a track from the Undercover sessions. Perfection thumbs up

Agreed, it's brilliant!

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 06:10

stonehearted

That's it! You nailed the essence of UC-that club-funk dance music/bare bones Stones rock-the album has aged really well. I don't think it sounds dated and as much as I've grown to appreciate TTY, i dug UC from the first time I heard it. Feel On Baby shows how far they'd come since their first dabblings in reggae on Cherry Oh Baby.

Posted by: FeelTheFire ()
Date: February 25, 2015 06:15

Never liked it, never will. Undercover is my least favourite Stones album.

Date: February 25, 2015 09:30

Here is the track talk, for other comments and views: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 25, 2015 14:08

"Undercover" is an above average album, but "Feel on Baby" is an under average song ... there are songs, that are interesting boring, and songs, that are boring boring, and "Feel on" is counted among the latter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 14:08 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: February 25, 2015 14:42

Excellent track; and the 12" is even better.

Undercover is not a major Stones album, but, it is quite a cracking album in it's own right. Full of exotic sounds and atmospheres; definitely has it's own place in the Stones canon, and of course, the title track is a Stones classic methinks.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: February 25, 2015 14:44

Feel on baby is excellent!!! The 12" version is dammn good

Date: February 25, 2015 18:15

Interestingly it seems there's no Outtake version of 'Feel On Baby', [www.dbboots.com] says: "Could not be found in any release".

Undercover Studio sessions:

11-Nov-1982, Paris

30-Jan-1983, Paris

2-May-1983, New York City

20-Jun-1983, New York City

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: February 25, 2015 21:49

Thanks for all information. And for the link to the track talk thread.

The song is - in my opinion -by far the most inetersting song (and one of the best songs) from the post 81 era. The last time they did sound "modern" in a natural way.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2015 21:56

Great tune. U is a great album, just not in the sense of BB, LIB, SF and EOMS. It's certainly their most different LP, at least from The Rolling Stones of 1964-1983.

The remix of Feel On Baby is outstanding. It brings out the elements of the song that make it such an awesomely murky tune.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 25, 2015 21:59

I love all the Undercover threads, because so often it gets re-discovered. I have said before and will say again I think this is the smartest of all Stones albums. There was some of that 80's production, but it is not over the top, and pretty tolerable, if not a worthy risk. The songs are excellent, all of them (in my opinion), with the lyrics being some of the best ever. And 'Feel On Baby' is a great vocal performance, super atmospheric, takes the whole Tattoo You Side Two feel to a new level, I think. It's even almost kind of a dark album, which I like. To me, Undercover is the last truly great Stones record. There is not a song on there I don't love. The album still makes me want to dance around the house to this day. I think it may be the first album whose release day I desperately awaited (at the tender age of 11)! And then Dirty Work came out an excruciating three years later.. and it was so disappointing, unfinished sounding, badly mixed, etc. It should have been 1983's album of the year, and there should have been a great big tour.

Posted by: stoneskid ()
Date: February 26, 2015 07:01

Anyone know where I could get the entire 12" versions of these tracks?

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: February 26, 2015 07:21

I've never heard that version. Only Keith and some other woman (can't quite make it out) until 4:30. Crazy stuff.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2015 07:36

Anyone know where I could get the entire 12" versions of these tracks?

Officially only ever released as B-side of Undercover Of The Night 12"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 26, 2015 10:00

SharksWillCry
I've never heard that version. Only Keith and some other woman (can't quite make it out) until 4:30. Crazy stuff.

It is crazy and fantastic indeed, but isn't that "woman" just one of the synthesized effects?
The only voices I hear are Keith's and (from around 4:30) Mick's.

Date: February 26, 2015 10:14

with sssoul
SharksWillCry

It is crazy and fantastic indeed, but isn't that "woman" just one of the synthesized effects?
The only voices I hear are Keith's and (from around 4:30) Mick's.

It's a mini-synth. A little box you'll bang your drum stick on, and you can program it to make different cool sounds.

Date: February 26, 2015 13:15

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: February 26, 2015 15:53

Here is an super extended version combining the two, enjoy!

[www.filefactory.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1272
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home