Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick T & 2013 tour
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: April 8, 2013 23:54

Just read this interview from the Chicago papers. Looks like Mick T. could have more than two songs. Keith speaking:

I’ve had a couple of chats with Mick Taylor about that and his great answer is: “I don’t really know.” Gee, really inspiring, Mick! But welcome back, anyway! It took us all, and himself, on another journey, but it was great to have him playing with us last year; I look forward to spreading that around a bit. Ronnie [Wood] and I, you know, we’re two guitars in the Stones, and on the records, there are at least four or five guitars, we overdub and overlay and overlay. And to have a third guitar in and add somebody else for flavor, to us, it’s a sheer luxury.

Re: Mick T & 2013 tour
Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: April 9, 2013 00:00

Holy sh!t... so Midnight Rambler is a given...

But the possibility of Rocks Off, Can't You Hear Me Knockin', Moonlight Mile, Bitch, Sway, Dead Flowers? I can't even handle it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-09 00:08 by Tonyz.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 9, 2013 02:01

Wow. Love this.

Date: April 9, 2013 02:07

I'll be in Stone Heaven if he plays on Gimme Shelter - shades of 1973!!!!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 9, 2013 04:01

Mick T or Blondie as third guitar . . . tough call.

Mmmm, I'll go with Mick.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 9, 2013 06:15

I don't think he has much added value to Bitch as Keith please the lead on that song.
Can't you hear me Knocking and Gimme Shelter would be great.

I'll probably be a minority hear but I didn't like the Midnight Rambler versions that much... It was great to hear him play again but it was nowhere near the old versions. I prefer just Ronnie and Keith if Taylor plays the way he did in December.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: April 9, 2013 07:28

I would like to hear something they haven't played much or never live. Time Waits For No One, Winter, and Moonlight Mile were all songs that Taylor had extended roles and I consider good choices. Would be a shame to leave such a great talent in the wings.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 9, 2013 15:05

i wanna hear taylor play on dead flowers as i am sitting in my basement room with my needle and a spoon and another girl to take my pain away .love that song big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 9, 2013 15:22

Wuudy
I don't think he has much added value to Bitch as Keith please the lead on that song.

I'll probably be a minority hear but I didn't like the Midnight Rambler versions that much... It was great to hear him play again but it was nowhere near the old versions. I prefer just Ronnie and Keith if Taylor plays the way he did in December.

A very delicate statement. I didn't attend the concerts, but from what Ive heard on the internet, no one really took the the intiative from a musical point of view. It sounded like it could fall apart any moment.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 9, 2013 16:22

Don't get started with the Midnight Rambler bashing again. eye rolling smiley

My two cents (judging from the youtube clips): It was shaky at times, but Mick T added a lot of great licks, a lot of good jamming. He stirred the pot, so to speak.

But yeah, I agree that CHYMK, Rocks Off, Sway, Gimme Shelter and a bunch of other songs could sound awesome with Mick T. Let him rip on Shelter just like in '72-'73! smileys with beer

Date: April 9, 2013 16:28

That's no bashing, it's just an objective musical observation. I'm talking about all the songs played. Keith fell out of a palm tree, his fingers. Ron was never much of a player to me. And I agree MT added something special, albeit nostalgia so far. Something very basic on his playing changed though, his sound, his timing and phrasing. Nobody here wants to talk or dicuss it.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 9, 2013 17:48

my god to hear this solo welded to the Stones would make me need to change my pants everytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please make it so

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 9, 2013 18:09

VT22
Wuudy

A very delicate statement. I didn't attend the concerts, but from what Ive heard on the internet, no one really took the the intiative from a musical point of view. It sounded like it could fall apart any moment.
I attended Brooklyn and thought the MR without Taylor was the best song on the night. While players like Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck have seemed to keep on top of their game Taylor has not stood the test of time as a solo artist or his 80's stints with The Bluesbreakers. In his day he was one of the most influential guitarists but 30 + years of playing with pick-up bands has not aged his playing well. Still he is the best choice for the 50+ tour as Keith and Ronnie could use some juice and the majority of us have been waiting for this moment. I predict he will dish out some great solos but things will get messy at times.. Really what are we paying to see? A couple of brilliant moments that hark us back to the golden era, a few belly laughs when things mess up and a giant celebration of the greatest band ever doing their utmost to stop time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-09 18:10 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 9, 2013 18:23

judas

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 9, 2013 19:00

Mick J will have to keep Keith under control so that Mick T can shine without Keith's jealousy getting out of control and ruining the potential for some pure magic!

Date: April 9, 2013 19:06

Captainchaos

my god to hear this solo welded to the Stones would make me need to change my pants everytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please make it so

That would be great..smiling smiley

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: April 9, 2013 19:29

Having Taylor on board would certainly give the band an opportunity to open up the setlist. But Taylor needs to know what is expected of him and that takes time, as in rehearsals and just plain sitting down and playing together. At their age it doesn't get easier. They need to practice. Hopefully, they can give each other a long needed spark of inspiration. I am not betting on it. And that gets into what the band has long become. But still...one can hope.

For me Taylor represents something beyond the notes he plays. It has to do with what the band was in a creative sense....the whole vibe of the band. Just a small bit of that would be welcome before they go.

Crossfire Hurricane ran about 105 minutes. Of that about 15 minutes is dedicated to the post 1974 band. I see no reason to extend that time further. For me those minutes in the film do not even feel like the same subject matter.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2013 19:37

Well said, the "vibe" was definitely something else when he arrived on stage on the 25th at the O2 !

What was the original question in the article, "what songs will you be playing with Mick Taylor"? Based on what Keith says it sounds like he'd asked Mick T. what he wanted to play?

I'm pretty sure Mick T. said it would be great for him to be on stage for the numbers that were created during his time. That sounds like a given now. One sing they can now add is TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE !!! How fitting it would be and it's THE opportunity to do it.

Posted by: nankerphlege ()
Date: April 9, 2013 21:07

Does MT playing only one song make sense? Nah. If they have to pay him, insure him, feed house and pay for his airfare they will need more than one song to make this finicially viable.

Go Dawgs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-09 21:15 by nankerphlege.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 9, 2013 21:54

Captainchaos
judas
Sorry, what I mean to say is if The Beatles toured this summer hypothetically, I'd be very happy if they just played the tunes from the red and blue greatest hits collections. If they muddled through quite a few I'd still think it a great show and go again and again. Same goes with The Stones, it's a marvelous miracle and they are doing it with a minimum of side people. I expect us all to have a grand time including them, somewhere down at the bottom of my list is music criticism or comparisons to their best moments. When the RS rehearsed for the first Hyde Park in the basement of Apple, John heard it as an awful mess, live they were an acquired taste then as well as now.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 9, 2013 22:09

mickschix
Mick J will have to keep Keith under control so that Mick T can shine without Keith's jealousy getting out of control and ruining the potential for some pure magic!

That's it! A brilliant idea! Have Mick Taylor play the solo on Out Of Control! Keith won't give a crap...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 9, 2013 22:22

Shall we try to stick to the existing 4 page "Mick Taylor on 2013 Tour" thread : [www.iorr.org] ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home