Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
DARTFORD - Pictures of Mick and Keith's childhood
Posted by: benstones ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:01

Last year, I was in London for a few months and I decided to visit Dartford. It's not really beautiful but I was very happy to see the universe of Mick and Keith when they were children. I took a lot of picture, I'm sharing now.

I also went to Mick's house in France. I took pictures too. But the problem is that a bodyguard kick me out of the property (I was not inside the house but in the gardenn anyway, it was normal he kick me out). I don't know if I can share the pictures... He told me that he doesn't want to see any picture of that.

Train Station of Dartford, Platform 2 - THE BIRTH OF THE ROLLING STONES

Mick Jagger - Childhood's house. now for sale if a fan is interested grinning smiley

Keith Richards - Childhood's appartment

Me, with a guitar signed by Keith, front of his house. The owner lent me the guitar and took the picture. Very nice because he had work (he's florist)

The Owners - with Keith

Dartford Grammar School, Mick Jagger's Grammar school - Wonderful.

Wentworth Primary School - Mick and Keith's school.

Livingstone Hospital - Hospital where Mick and Keith were born

The Mick Jagger Center

Benjamin.

Re: DARTFORD - Pictures of Mick and Keith's childhood
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:26

Nice work, benstones !

I'll bet that train station looked a lot different way back when.

Date: November 30, 2012 21:27

Edith Grove
Nice work, benstones !

I'll bet that train station looked a lot different way back when.

Trains, yes! The station, I don't know. It looks very very old!!

Benjamin.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:28

Very, very, nice. Pieces of history. Jagger looks like he grew up in a pretty fine house,

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 30, 2012 21:31

Date: November 30, 2012 21:35

Edith Grove

[www.kentrail.org.uk]

The same. It almost didn't move!!!

Benjamin.

Date: November 30, 2012 21:37

Blue
Very, very, nice. Pieces of history. Jagger looks like he grew up in a pretty fine house,

Yes, his parents were not "poor".

Benjamin.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 30, 2012 22:03

OK, they've been photoshopped. But you get the idea.

Date: December 1, 2012 18:13

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: December 1, 2012 20:31

On Sunday I went past the Crawdaddy. It is now a nice restaurant. The waitress was from Poland and had no grasp of what the Crawdaddy used to be. Neither did the barmen from New Sealand.
I went to the Bricklayers Arms to see where the guys used to practice. Maybe I was at the wrong bricklayers arms, but no sign of any Stones heritage here. Some nice singing going on though.
I went to Edith Grove 102. It is now amongst the most anonimous buildings of London.

What a contrast to the Beatles' trails. Not only in Liverpool or on Abbey Road but even in Hamburg you can find signs saying: "On this or that date half a century ago Ringo Starr farted in this alley."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-12-01 20:45 by Promoman.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: December 1, 2012 20:33

Great pics benstones, now i regret not seeing some of this places in London this week..

Date: December 1, 2012 20:52

Promoman
On Sunday I went past the Crawdaddy. It is now a nice restaurant. The waitress was from Poland and had no grasp of what the Crawdaddy used to be. Neither did the barmen from New Sealand.
I went to the Bricklayers Arms to see where the guys used to practice. Maybe I was at the wrong bricklayers arms, but no sign of any Stones heritage here. Some nice singing going on though.
I went to Edith Grove 102. It is now amongst the most anonimous buildings of London.

What a contrast to the Beatles' trails. Not only in Liverpool or on Abbey Road but even in Hamburg you can find signs saying: "On this or that date half a century ago Ringo Starr farted in this alley."

No - there is no tacky tourist trail for the Stones, thank goodness. Most of the early buildings where they played are gone, and the ones that still exist aren't interested. But (being a Richmond resident) it adds something to my evening to come home from the 2012 show at the O2 on Thursday, get out of the train at Richmond Station, and look across Kew Road to the old Station Hotel.

Date: December 1, 2012 20:55

Bitches Brew
Great pics benstones, now i regret not seeing some of this places in London this week..

Thanks BB. Yes it was a good and moving experience. And in 2 hours in a half, I saw everything. The house of Mick was very very closed to Keith's house.

Benjamin.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:03

Thanks Benstones for sharing those pics. I never went there, but next Wembley I will take the necessary time before things get tumbled too much.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:15

Promoman

It's like with The Marquee club, went there on Tuesday, there is only Keith Moon plaque, nothing else. Hope it will change...

Date: December 1, 2012 21:17

HBWriter needs to see this thread. Kind of ties in w/ what he puts together in US.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:24

Palace Revolution 2000
HBWriter needs to see this thread. Kind of ties in w/ what he puts together in US.

done and done smiling smiley (the ringo/alley quote made me laugh out loud)

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:26

Green Lady
Promoman

No - there is no tacky tourist trail for the Stones, thank goodness. Most of the early buildings where they played are gone, and the ones that still exist aren't interested. But (being a Richmond resident) it adds something to my evening to come home from the 2012 show at the O2 on Thursday, get out of the train at Richmond Station, and look across Kew Road to the old Station Hotel.

Yup, exactly that. I'm a Richmond resident as well. There's absolutely nothing in the way of signage to indicate what went on in that building all those years ago, when it was the Station Hotel.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 1, 2012 21:29

my sister lives in Richmond!

Posted by: stoneman333 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 15:40

Great pictures - many thanks for posting them.

I live in the UK and was at the 1st O2 concert on the 25th - but have never been to look round Dartford. I know there's no "Heritage Trail", but it would still be great to see these places. Must make the effort next time I'm over that way.

I've been a Stones fan ever since seeing Mick shakin' those maracas on "Not Fade Away" on the Telly back in the early 60s - and the O2 concert was great - full of energy and showed that they all really still love what they're doing - and making so many people happy! Thanks to everyone who has posted pictures and videos.

Long Live the Stones!!

Date: December 2, 2012 17:47

paulywaul
Green Lady
Promoman

Yup, exactly that. I'm a Richmond resident as well. There's absolutely nothing in the way of signage to indicate what went on in that building all those years ago, when it was the Station Hotel.

I don't actually understand why the Station Hotel in Richmond has NOT been recognised in the same way that the club in Ealing has, the place that Mick n' Keef used to go along to in order to hear Alexis Corner & Co ....

[www.ealing-club.com]

It should be. Hey Green Lady, maybe as modern day Richmond residents, you and I should start a lobby group to get this done ?

Date: December 2, 2012 17:54

hbwriter
my sister lives in Richmond!

Well perhaps she'd like to join Green Lady and I in "proposing" to English Heritage that the building in question gets a plaque, what used to be the old Station Hotel in Richmond .... ?

[www.english-heritage.org.uk]

Date: December 2, 2012 17:57

After all, Jimi got one for where he lived ............

[www.english-heritage.org.uk]

Date: December 2, 2012 19:00

Or maybe just reinstate the old wording over the door (destroyed when it ceased to be the Bull & Bush):

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:05

"The stones was Brian's baby"

Keith Richards

smileys with beer

Date: December 2, 2012 19:05

Green Lady
Or maybe just reinstate the old wording over the door (destroyed when it ceased to be the Bull & Bush):

Yes indeed. I was wondering where that had gone to. Now I know ... "destroyed" in the name of progress ! How sad ! sad smiley

Date: December 2, 2012 19:09

Here's some info about it .........

[www.music.indiana.edu]

Date: December 2, 2012 19:15

The blue plaque at the Ealing Club:

[www.iorr.org]

- and the riverside plaque commemorating the musical history of Eel Pie Island:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: December 2, 2012 19:21

This is fantastic stuff!

Thanks benstones.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 2, 2012 20:35

benstones
Edith Grove

[www.kentrail.org.uk]

The same. It almost didn't move!!!

Thanks benstones
I like the old black/white Dartford/Station pics
There's a Dartford Station pic in David Dalton's RS "The First Twenty Years" 1981
It's a different pic and there's nobody sitting on the bench
Would like to show but no scan

Cheers

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home