Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Plaque honours Ealing Club contribution to music history
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 29, 2012 16:29

[www.ealinggazette.co.uk]

THE 50th anniversary of a pioneering music venue that hosted bands like The Rolling Stones will be honoured with the unveiling of a plaque later this month.

The Ealing Club was a seminal blues and rock nightspot which acted as a hub for a host of up and coming musicians, including big names like Eric Clapton.

And a plaque honouring the club, organised by a heritage group of the same name, will be unveiled outside the club in The Broadway on March 17, exactly 50 years after it opened.

Alistair Young, club secretary said: “It’s fantastic that we’re going ahead with the unveiling. Hopefully the event will be the first of many that we can have in Ealing over the next few years.”

Mr Young said organisers spent the last year or so raising the £1,200 needed to pay for the plaque. He said the venture is intended to honour Ealing’s musical heritage but also has other ambitions.

“We’re doing this in order to encourage people to be proud of the area that they live in. There are a lot of musicians living in the borough so we would hope that this is something that they will benefit them as well.

“Hopefully this will encourage an emergence of more live gigs in the borough and more new venues for them to be held at.”

The Ealing Club, now The Red Room, was mentioned several times by Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards in his recent autobiography, Life.

The borough has strong links to some of rock and pop’s biggest trailblazers, from The Rolling Stones though to The Who and The Jimi Hendrix.

Queen vocalist Freddie Mercury attended Ealing Art College - now West London University - and Jim Marshall invented his iconic guitar amplifiers in Hanwell, which he sold out of a shop on the Uxbridge Road.

The unveiling on March 17 at 1.30pm will be followed by an afternoon of live music at the Red Room.

The Ealing Club will also be hosting a talk at Ealing Central Library in The Broadway Shopping Centre on March 8.

You can also find out more about the group’s activities on Facebook by visiting the website [www.facebook.com]

Re: Plaque honours Ealing Club contribution to music history
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 29, 2012 16:50

charmed i'm sure! :E
is that the club where they proposed to break the band's arms when they moved on to the Ken Colyer Club
or wherever it was that they moved to from the Ealing Jazz Club?
not that that reduces the historical significance of the place! :E

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 29, 2012 18:17

They should have a blue plaque outside.

7 April 1962 - Nanker Phelge was born here.

That should confuse the hell out of everyone.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 19, 2012 01:53

Stones idol salutes re-birth of blues in Ealing

18th March 2012 By Helena Hickey

Blues heaven: Charlie Watts and the Stones first met at the Ealing Club

A ROCK legend returned to Ealing yesterday to celebrate the 50th anniversary of an old haunt.

Charlie Watts, drummer from the Rolling Stones, was among those who gathered to watch the unveiling of a blue plaque marking 50 years since the first blues night at the Ealing Club, Ealing Broadway.

It was where the Stones first met and played in April 1962 and hosted many famous faces, including Eric Clapton and Rod Stewart.

The plaque was unveiled outside The Red Room, the night club which now occupies the site, by the widow of Alexi Korner, one of the Ealing Club’s founders.

An afternoon of live blues music then followed inside the club.

The £1,300 needed for the plaque was raised by the Ealing Club, a community group aiming to highlight the town’s rock and blues heritage.

Club secretary Alistair Young said all of their work had been worthwhile.

“The day was perfect, it couldn’t have gone any better. We had a brilliant crowd both inside and out,” he said.

The group now plans to hold gigs at the venue on the last Thursday of every month and hopes it will be a place where performers from the 60s, as well as new groups, will perform.

“Most of all, we want to see the young musicians of Ealing make use of this brilliant and historical venue,” said Mr Young. “As the London College of Music is based in Ealing, we hope their students will use this venue to keep music at the heart of our town.”

[www.ealingtimes.co.uk]

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 19, 2012 02:05

Does anyone have any old and/or recent pictures of this place ?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 19, 2012 03:00

Charlie Watts, drummer in the Rolling Stones and Carole Lateman, at the plaque unveiling on 17 March 2012 at The Ealing Club to commemorate the legendary music venue where Alexis Korner and Cyril Davies began the British Rhythm & Blues scene 50 years ago to the day. Ealing, London, England, UK. Bobbie (Roberta) Korner, Alexis Korner's widow is bottom right.

Photos by Nigel Bewley
[www.flickr.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 03:05 by Deltics.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 19, 2012 03:49

Thank you Deltics! thumbs up

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: March 19, 2012 11:49

Anyone have a pic of Mick performing with Alexis Korner there? (Rockman...sssoul?)

Date: March 19, 2012 12:37

This is the only picture I know of that features Mick singing with Blues Incorporated. I think it was taken at the Marquee.

Dave Stevens, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Alexis Korner, Jack Bruce, MJ, Cyril Davies, Charlie Watts (you can just make out his ear!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 13:11 by Deltics.

Date: March 19, 2012 13:13

Some related sounds...

Date: March 19, 2012 15:31

3DTeafoe
Anyone have a pic of Mick performing with Alexis Korner there? (Rockman...sssoul?)

heya my beautiful 3DT! the shot that the gallant Deltics has already posted is the closest i'd be able to get

doesn't Charlie look wonderful in the photos from the plaque unveiling?!
not just that he has one of the best faces ever to grace the planet, but he looks so well as well

i love the Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 15:50 by with sssoul.

Date: March 19, 2012 15:38

You can see Charlie a bit better in this one

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 19, 2012 16:09

Wonderful that the great past of London music scene is to be acknowledged. And a great move by Charlie to take part.

To continue His Majesty's theme, I think it this is a good thread to celebrate the wonderful music of this era. Here is the first single "Counry Line Special"/"Chicago Calling" by Cyril Davies and His R&b All Stars from March 1963. Damn hot, and one can easily hear how much The Stones were influenced by them. Here is what Keith says of them:

"Ricky Fenson and Carlo Little, they were the ones who gave us the power shot...Ricky Fenson, bleached hair. His hair was black but was dyed peroxide blonde. Him and another guy called Bernie, they used to call Strawberry, the guitar player. I wish I could remember his last name. He would sit on the stage with his gloves on his head, on this peroxide thing, 'cause he had the same hairdo and Ricky Fenson. Bernie. What a guitar player. I thought, "Well, I might as well go home, this is ridiculous, this cat's so good." Cyril Davies put that band together - listen to a record called 'Country Line Special' by Cyril Davies' All-Stars, with Nicky Hopkins, Bernie, Ricky Fenson and Carlo Little..." - From biography 'Keith: Till I Roll Over Dead'

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 16:17 by Doxa.

Date: March 19, 2012 16:22

Preaching The Blues...

Date: March 19, 2012 16:37

Here is Bill Wyman specific on the influence of Cyril's band:

After working with Cyril Davies and his All Stars one night I had a crack at copying the 'walking bass' style of their bass player Ricky Brown (sometimes known as Ricky Fenson). I remember Brian Jones looking round at me and saying, 'Hey, that's good. Where did you get that from?' At that moment I joined The Stones on a new level...All the Stones loved the Davies band; the way they interpreted Chuck Berry's 'Deep Feeling' had to be heard to be believed" (Bill Wyman, STONE ALONE)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-19 16:38 by Doxa.

Date: March 19, 2012 16:49

Great sounds!!! ^

Date: March 20, 2012 04:02

Date: March 20, 2012 10:18

thanks HM - atmospheric, innit!
i went to see that entryway too, thanks to my good guide Paul [waving fondly at the aforementioned]

Date: March 20, 2012 10:51

Yeah, thanks for sharing your photos, His Majesty!

Looks atmospheric indeed! I never been there, but would love to do it some day (as, for example, the famous sites in Darford too, and maybe even Cheltenham). I have planned to visit London this historical year, and was looking for The Stones to do something, but the latter unfortunately does not sound likely at the moment. But some kind of 'crusade' to the historical Stones-related sites is very much in my mind still to do this year.

By the way, from where to pick the entryway from the streetview photos? I can't figure it out.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-20 10:53 by Doxa.

Date: March 20, 2012 21:35

They are not my photos, just usual grab 'n' run job fom google search. thumbs up

The first one is from flickr, think it's from 1957 so pre Ealing Club, but it probably didn't look much different by 1962.

Doxa, the stairway which leads to the entrance of where the Ealing Club was is to the right of the jeweller in the 1957 pic and to right again of the Haart restaurant in the modern day pic.

Down there...

[www.ealing-club.com]

Hey, if you do decide to visit UK gimme a shout i might come and join you in a 50th anniversary celebratory Stones sights tour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-20 21:42 by His Majesty.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: March 22, 2012 15:43

with sssoul
3DTeafoe

heya my beautiful 3DT! the shot that the gallant Deltics has already posted is the closest i'd be able to get

doesn't Charlie look wonderful in the photos from the plaque unveiling?!
not just that he has one of the best faces ever to grace the planet, but he looks so well as well

i love the Rolling Stones

Yes, my dearest sssoul, Charlie is looking wonderful. He's truly the classiest man in rock n roll.

Date: March 22, 2012 16:36

His Majesty
Doxa, the stairway which leads to the entrance of where the Ealing Club was is to the right of the jeweller in the 1957 pic and to right again of the Haart restaurant in the modern day pic.

Down there...

[www.ealing-club.com]

Hey, if you do decide to visit UK gimme a shout i might come and join you in a 50th anniversary celebratory Stones sights tour.

Thanks! And yeah, I will give you a shout if I come!

- Doxa

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 22, 2012 18:37

Listening to Cyril Davies I'm struck by how early Stones they sound. Well, I guess they came first, so the Stones are the imitators. The Stones are on their level, don't get me wrong, but they are not better. At least when playing up tempo R&B. I would even go so far as to say they're indistinguishable from each other. Let's face it, the only thing that makes the early Stones stand out on their R&B records is a young pop singer up front.

It's a smart thing that the early Stones mixed it up with R&B, Rock and Roll, and straight Blues numbers. Rock and Roll showcased Keith's abilities, while the incomparable Brian Jones excelled on the blues numbers. (And created the spark with his inspired slide lead on 'I Wanna Be Your Man'.) Cyril Davies rhythm section sounds very Wyman/Watts. Quite a revelation to hear these sides. The Stones are different from the Beatles in that their band pretty much grows almost always in the spotlight. We hear their early incarnations and their influences. We hear their early limitations, which makes their later growth amazing. The Beatles had no such scene to draw from and don't seem to have a lot of local influences. Or if they did they remain unrecorded and lost to history. Two different hothouses altogether.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 23, 2012 22:21

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home