Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: "The pool's in, but the patio ain't dry" question...
Posted by: three16 ()
Date: June 29, 2013 08:01

I would install a pool first, then pour a patio around it. Makes sense to me. So Keith's twist is maybe he's saying it's kind of a bummer. Pools in, but damn, can't swim. Yet...because concrete's not dry. Like, I got her number, but damn, now I just need a tele. I don't know. It's classic tho.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 29, 2013 08:16

It's definitely a reference to Lenny Bruce's routine The Palladium.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 29, 2013 10:03

"The pool's in, but the patio ain't dry" means that all of Keith's drunken junkie house guests are ignoring the pool and just lounging on the patio, not being "dry" because they're all sitting around being drunk or whatever.

"Well it seems it seems that the juice keeps foaming and I know why" means that the pool people have dropped in some weird chlorine-type additive that makes the water in the pool look spooky and bubbly (and probably green and glowing), so Keith's guests just lounge on the patio rather than jumping in.

"The car's heating, but the dealer's squealing," refers to Keith's car dealer, who couldn't sell him a car that was hot, meaning stolen. The car dealer must have been at the pool party. That must be the key to the "heat's raining, tracks is fading", meaning that the tire tracks of the disreputable car dealer's ways are becoming apparent, illuminating the road Keith is being driven down, at the drunken pool party where everyone just stays on the patio ignoring the pool, because of the dodgy green water foaming away....

"The bitch keeps bitching" (the wife about the endless "pool" party on the patio) "the snitcher keeps snitching" (to the wife about the endless "pool" party on the patio) "joint names and telephone numbers at all" (names of joints [weed] you keep phoning in to your pot dealer) "Well, she's my little rock n roll" (the "she's" being the weed that keeps the "pool" party on the patio going....)

"She got a shark-end shoulder, she's my little rock n roll".... That's the one part of the song I don't get, and I always picture that he's describing Patty for some reason, but why does he describe her shoulders as shark-like?

"Shark, shark, shark, oh my, my, my"....

Ah well, the lyrics continue to mystify me, one of Keith's most beguiling songs.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 29, 2013 11:17

stonehearted
"The pool's in, but the patio ain't dry" means that all of Keith's drunken junkie house guests are ignoring the pool and just lounging on the patio, not being "dry" because they're all sitting around being drunk or whatever.

"Well it seems it seems that the juice keeps foaming and I know why" means that the pool people have dropped in some weird chlorine-type additive that makes the water in the pool look spooky and bubbly (and probably green and glowing), so Keith's guests just lounge on the patio rather than jumping in.

"The car's heating, but the dealer's squealing," refers to Keith's car dealer, who couldn't sell him a car that was hot, meaning stolen. The car dealer must have been at the pool party. That must be the key to the "heat's raining, tracks is fading", meaning that the tire tracks of the disreputable car dealer's ways are becoming apparent, illuminating the road Keith is being driven down, at the drunken pool party where everyone just stays on the patio ignoring the pool, because of the dodgy green water foaming away....

"The bitch keeps bitching" (the wife about the endless "pool" party on the patio) "the snitcher keeps snitching" (to the wife about the endless "pool" party on the patio) "joint names and telephone numbers at all" (names of joints [weed] you keep phoning in to your pot dealer) "Well, she's my little rock n roll" (the "she's" being the weed that keeps the "pool" party on the patio going....)

"She got a shark-end shoulder, she's my little rock n roll".... That's the one part of the song I don't get, and I always picture that he's describing Patty for some reason, but why does he describe her shoulders as shark-like?

"Shark, shark, shark, oh my, my, my"....

Ah well, the lyrics continue to mystify me, one of Keith's most beguiling songs.

i can't tell if you're joking or not
some of the lyrics you have from the song are not what he sings

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 29, 2013 12:15

... There's no shark in the song (or in the pool); instead, you've got to shock them, show them.
The juice keeps pumping; the scar's healing; and the bitch who keeps bitching is not anyone's wife
(unless you buy the concept that the Glimmer Twins are a marriage!); and it's dropping names
(Right, you're joking. But let's not confuse people on purpose, okay? It's too early for that)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-29 12:21 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 29, 2013 12:23

Proper lyrics here:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 29, 2013 13:16

Green Lady
Proper lyrics here:

[www.iorr.org]

it's pretty clear what most of the lyrics are about (and i agree with the conclusion about the patio lyric being from the skit)

but...

"she" is clearly his solace
he says it's about a groupie in interviews

but is the song really an ode to heroin or cocaine and how it lets him escape all the craziness, and he threw in the gratuitous sexualized lines to cover it up ?

someone said it was about moving on from drugs to sex, but we a) know he didn't move on from drugs and b) the song mentions a dealer squealing on him,

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-29 13:49 by sonomastone.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 29, 2013 16:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:34 by camper88.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 29, 2013 18:00

Scar's healing? You get a scar FROM healing.

Perhaps Stonehearted is making this song jump the shark...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 29, 2013 23:00

sonomastone

i can't tell if you're joking or not
some of the lyrics you have from the song are not what he sings[/quote]

Sort of. What I meant is that's how I always heard the lyrics. You could never really tell what the song was about just by listening.

I've only recently had a look at the actual lyrics, and frankly it doesn't help when it comes to trying to figure out just what the song is actually about.

They are in my opinion the most obscure lyrics Keith has ever written, just full of hidden meaning and, to my mind, nonsequitors.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 29, 2013 23:31

As someone here mentioned on another thread, Keith said in 1981: KEITH: "Well, that song's just about every good time I've had with somebody I'd met for a night or two and never saw again."

But I've always thought also that "dealer" "snitch" "heat's raiding" (the law?) suggested a drug subtext.

And I've thought maaaybe the line "Scar's healing, but the dealer's squealing" refers to Keith kicking junk. In "25 x 5" Keith says the high that replaced heroin was him turning away dealers trying to entice him to buy smack, "Come on, just a taste." And when Keith turned them away, "That would be my high." Rejecting the dealer. The dealer's weren't necessarily squealing in a tattletale way, but in a frustrated way that Keith was turning them away.

Date: July 17, 2013 04:30

Adding to my post just above: I was just listening to an early, rough outtake of Little T&A, and for the stanza under discussion, Keith sings differently:

"[no `scar' line]
The dealer's dealing
And the doper's drooling
And the pool's in, but the patio ain't dry,"
etc.

Maybe (maybe) Keith subsequently evolved the stanza to change it to the meaning I related above. The dealer dealing with a junkie; to now squealing (in frustration) with an ex-junkie.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2013 04:31

Nice line and all but really, the 'hey' after it is the bomb.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:20

Had a supervisor say this to a co-worker.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:37

Chris Fountain
It's about the construction of a new backyard. The pool has been installed and the concrete of the patio has just been set.

That's what I always thought that the literal meaning is... (sexual meanings aside )

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: August 1, 2013 17:15

steel driving hammer
Chris Fountain
But then again, musical lyrics need not have a purpose or agenda.

Correct, I'd never call an ice cream shop questioning the She's So Cold lyrics...

Some though, make me wonder.

However, in the SSC lyric, "she's so cold, like a ice cream cone". It is in fact the ice cream itself that is cold, like said lady, not the cone itself which is likely wafer-based and at room temperature. These mysteries may well remain unsolved in our lifetimes. Oh the torture.

Date: August 1, 2013 17:51

Roll73
steel driving hammer
Chris Fountain
But then again, musical lyrics need not have a purpose or agenda.

Correct, I'd never call an ice cream shop questioning the She's So Cold lyrics...

Some though, make me wonder.

However, in the SSC lyric, "she's so cold, like a ice cream cone". It is in fact the ice cream itself that is cold, like said lady, not the cone itself which is likely wafer-based and at room temperature. These mysteries may well remain unsolved in our lifetimes. Oh the torture.

In ASMB's "I was flipping magazines/In that place on Mercer Street," don't you flip THROUGH a magazine? The horror.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home