Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Collectors selling stuff
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 24, 2016 07:50

Hello fellow collectors.

Besides Ebay are there other avenues to sell collectable items that folks here have had success with?

I am looking to sell a few things and am a bit wary of Ebay.

Re: OT: Collectors selling stuff
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: July 24, 2016 09:50

There's a Buy/Sell/Trade section here...

Date: July 24, 2016 09:55

I know that. But this is non stones collectables.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: July 24, 2016 10:25

It's pretty easy on Ebay. But 1) you won't probably get enough money to reach the real value of the items, 2) there could be legal problems if selling bootlegs. 10 years ago I had to pay some 100 EUR to a Munich lawyer agency for offering a DoCD of Stones Boston 05. But in Germany I think they don't send invoices for copyright issues anymore because there was a new law some years ago which forbids unreasonable fees for things like that. I don't know what is going on in other countries, though.

Date: July 24, 2016 11:43

Its not bootleg stuff. And that is one reason I am leery of Ebay not getting the true value of the item. I have several Genesis books (signed) I want to sell.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 24, 2016 11:47

whitem8
I am leery of Ebay not getting the true value of the item. I have several Genesis books (signed) I want to sell.

On Ebay you'll get the exact true value of the items, not the value you might fantasize. I know some ppl have great expectations for their GP books and find themselves highly disappointed when they want to part with their books.
Maybe their expectations were too high...

Date: July 24, 2016 12:52

Oh I know some folks are hoping for big payouts. I am realistic. However, I do know the Jimmy Page book is highly sought after. And I have a Tashen book, the Linda McCartney book singed by Paul, unopened I want to sell. Thanks folks for your guidance!

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: July 24, 2016 13:02

I always buy good stuff! Particularly Stones stuff of course but also high end items by other artists. I will travel anywhere for the right collection and pay on the spot :-)

Date: July 24, 2016 13:04

I will message you Matt.

Thanks!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 24, 2016 17:50

whitem8
Oh I know some folks are hoping for big payouts. I am realistic. However, I do know the Jimmy Page book is highly sought after. And I have a Tashen book, the Linda McCartney book singed by Paul, unopened I want to sell. Thanks folks for your guidance!

I sold the Jimmy Page book on eBay and more than doubled what I paid for it. I disagree that you won't get what you desire on eBay, all it takes to make money there are two or more rabid buyers creating a bidding war. Plus, ebay has the most trusted feedback system in the world, so you know exactly where you stand.

Date: July 24, 2016 17:52

Remember, on eBay, you can set a reserve. This is the minimum amount you will take to sell it. Also be reminded that there are fees. eBay will take a percentage. PayPal will take a percentage. Check the fee schedule before setting a reserve.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: July 24, 2016 18:06

I still buy on ebay, but don't sell anymore. Too much fees for the seller and too much protection for the buyer if there is any problem.
Plus serious bidders bids on the last seconds thru auctions snippers (I only use snippers, I never undertood the point to place a bid one week before the end!)
Impossible to know till the end how much you will get for your item, price can double on the last 3 seconds.
Selling on Ebay is a lottery.
you still have the "buy it now" option.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 24, 2016 20:17

Like to read your comment Mitch, because I'm on the opposite side. Don't really like the last seconds where fake bids are made to raise the price. Guess it's all about perspective, when I buy something it's for my own pleasure I don't expect to get rich with it. After all how many of us can there be left to buy this stuff? Different strokes for different folks applied here. Cheers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 24, 2016 21:30

i'm with you whitem8...i've bought lots on ebay, but never sold anything. fees seem high and buyers protection is wonderful if you're buying, but not so much if you're selling.

PLUS, if you're selling something quite esoteric, no guarantee you'll have people that are looking for that item at the moment in time you're selling. if there were a way to market it easily might improve the bidding and ultimate sales price. while i agree ebay should reflect the true market value, i suspect it doesn't and even undervalues because the very people that might be interested are not as likely to all be on ebay at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-07 03:57 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: lucifrshmr ()
Date: July 24, 2016 22:18

Hey Matt,
I have a problem. JR informed me another collector is interested in my 72 Press Kit.
I would like to keep my 72 package complete though. I think it makes a nice collection. Not sure if it's worth more together or broken apart.

1972 Tour Press Kit / complete
1972 poster / original
1972 tour program / original
1972 poster stamp signed repo.
3 Philly ticket stubs
Photograph of Ollie Brown outside the rear of the Spectrum 7/21/72
Dragon Aire Ladies & Gentlemen poster heavy cardboard theatre sign.
Newspaper clippings and newspapers from Philly, NY
Magazines: Mick Jagger and his tour DELL PUB.
1972 bumper sticker

What do you think, break it apart or keep it together?
Thanks

Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-24 23:09 by lucifrshmr.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: July 25, 2016 18:32

IMHO ebay is Very expensive to sell hi end items on.For example several years ago I was selling the beatles "the record that started beatlemania" the VJ581 promo w/ PS,I knew it was worth about $3000 usd,on ebay I would only have got(after fees) less than $2000 so I opted for craigslist where a collector from canada bought it for just under $3000,of which ALL of the sale price ended up in my pocket...just sayin

Date: July 26, 2016 02:55

That is very good to know detroitken! Thanks! YOu had to pay 1000 dollars in fees! That is a total rip-off!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: July 26, 2016 04:06

yes 15% to list..15% to sell & %5 for credit card/paypal..ebay would have got 35% of the total....

Date: July 27, 2016 20:17

That is a total rip off from EBAY! See this is why I am asking around for alternative ways to sell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home