Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Formatted Back-up drive.....sad smiley
Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: August 26, 2015 20:35

I accidentally formatted the wrong external drive and lost some 1.5 Tb of Stones stuff. I tried to recover as much as possible, but could only rescue some 300 Gb.

So I will not be able to contribute much for a while when people ask for a re-upload.

Off course, I will continue to download from torrent sites and post WT links here once in a while.

Lesson learned: Remove External HDD from PC before starting to delete/format the HDD you just copied to it..............

(I copied 10-15 files, deleted them, then copied the next bunch and so on, so the HDD was empty. Then I wanted to format it but clicked on the drive letter for the back-up, so the 300 Gb was safed by trying to recover from 2 HDD)

Edit; as I wrote below:

This is one of the moments that I thank G.. on my bare knees for the StonesVault!!!!!!

In the spreadsheet, everything is listed by date, so I just have to see which dates I'm missing and start downloading smiling smiley

VERY glad that those guys took that initiative!

Chris from Belgium

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 12:23 by coowouters.

Re: Formatted Back-up drive.....sad smiley
Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: August 26, 2015 21:32

coowouters
I accidentally formatted the wrong external drive and lost some 1.5 Tb of Stones stuff. I tried to recover as much as possible, but could only rescue some 300 Gb.

So I will not be able to contribute much for a while when people ask for a re-upload.

Off course, I will continue to download from torrent sites and post WT links here once in a while.

Lesson learned: Remove External HDD from PC before starting to delete/format the HDD you just copied to it..............

(I copied 10-15 files, deleted them, then copied the next bunch and so on, so the HDD was empty. Then I wanted to format it but clicked on the drive letter for the back-up, so the 300 Gb was safed by trying to recover from 2 HDD)

So sad, i hope you can found more or less what you have lost eye rolling smiley

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: August 26, 2015 22:17

Let us know what we should upload for you so that your collection will be (nearly) complete again!smiling smiley

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: August 26, 2015 22:25

werther2003
Let us know what we should upload for you so that your collection will be (nearly) complete again!smiling smiley

I totally second what H. says!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 26, 2015 22:26

I feel for you... confused smiley
I just discovered my beloved 87-91 Pixies live shows collection was MIA. It was far smaller than my Stones collection but yeah it stings a bit.

Date: August 26, 2015 22:41

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, although I hadn’t used the HDD (I was a split second to late to halt the formatting), I couldn’t recover but a small part.
I used Linux tools, Recuva, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 8.0 and another on-line tool (as last try), but all with the known result.

And I just did a “quick format”, took a couple of seconds and all was gone. You would have thought that with a “quick Format”, files would have been easier to recuperate than with a “Full Format”, but no….

And you know what the biggest problem is? The XLS-sheet with what I had on that HDD is also gone, so I don’t know what I lost, LOL!!!!!!

But I’m retired and have all the time in the world to look around for stuff that isn’t on my other 8 Tb of external disks (+ the hard copy DVDs, CDs and CDr’s I have)

Anyway, thank you very much for your willingness to help, I really appreciate it, and if I really need something, I'll post a request smiling smiley

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: Rolling on ()
Date: August 26, 2015 22:52

coowouters
Thanks guys!

Unfortunately, although I hadn’t used the HDD (I was a split second to late to halt the formatting), I couldn’t recover but a small part.
I used Linux tools, Recuva, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 8.0 and another on-line tool (as last try), but all with the known result.

And I just did a “quick format”, took a couple of seconds and all was gone. You would have thought that with a “quick Format”, files would have been easier to recuperate than with a “Full Format”, but no….

And you know what the biggest problem is? The XLS-sheet with what I had on that HDD is also gone, so I don’t know what I lost, LOL!!!!!!

But I’m retired and have all the time in the world to look around for stuff that isn’t on my other 8 Tb of external disks (+ the hard copy DVDs, CDs and CDr’s I have)

Anyway, thank you very much for your willingness to help, I really appreciate it, and if I really need something, I'll post a request smiling smiley

Hopefully it has been the one that I send to you for Jaap! I do have a lot that has been on the HDD before from Werner. Not everything but a lot. And the stuff for Jaap is still in my boxes.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: August 26, 2015 23:00

hope your memory still serves you well.
without the excell sheet you must have some clues.
I like to be of help.

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: August 26, 2015 23:39

That same thing happened to me early this year. I feel really sorry for you. It's seems that your collection was really huge.

If you need some uploads, I'll be pleased to do it for you, as you did when I needed them.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: August 26, 2015 23:58

WTF... Chris if you need something please let us know...

Date: August 27, 2015 01:14

Thanks gang,

I'll need some time to find out what's lost. pretty sure that I will be able to get a lot from the vault, but first I have to examine my other XLS sheets to see what's missing on those HDD's.

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 27, 2015 01:30

Lots of help here already Chris but count me in. I got loads and loads of stuff too...

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: August 27, 2015 02:33

Between us all, we should be able to help...and, more importantly, would be delighted to do so!
thumbs up

Posted by: elmuseo ()
Date: August 27, 2015 03:03

Don´t worry
In few days i take holidays.(and i´ll have time to do it)

Tell me what you need an i´ll try to send you.
i have a 1,5 tb HDD or more ( i have in a 2 TB hdd)

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: August 27, 2015 03:06

sorry to hear this Chris...if theres ANYTHING i can do dont hesitate to let me know....afterall you have helped me a bunch(s)...

Date: August 27, 2015 04:28

coowouters

You could try one more shot (or 2 more shots) at recovering the data.

1) connect the hard drive to a computer with Linux on it ; install GParted ; select the correct drive ; go to the "device" tab ; select and execute "Attempt Data Recovery"

and / or

2) from within Windows, use "Recuva" from Piriform , although its interface is a bit more difficult than the above option.

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: August 27, 2015 08:58

All because of installing Windows 10 ?
angry smiley

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: August 27, 2015 09:35

Chris sorry to hear what's happened, I can sympathise with you. I lost all my stuff a couple of years ago when I left an external hard drive in a hotel room.Like the rest of the guy's here are saying, when you are ready to let us know what you need just post up. What's in my collection is your's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 09:43 by Tonstone.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 27, 2015 11:54

coowouters
Thanks guys!

too bad............. confused smileysad smileyconfused smiley ...........I'm sure if you can work out what's gone, post a list and links will appear in no time.............

Date: August 27, 2015 11:59

I was re-organizing my collection by date, so it will be probably be easier than I thought to recover everything.

This is one of the moments that I thank G.. on my bare knees for the StonesVault!!!!!!

In the spreadsheet, everything is listed by date, so I just have to see which dates I'm missing and start downloading smiling smiley

VERY glad that those guys took that initiative!

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 12:20

If I can help count on me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 12:21 by Stone601.

Date: August 27, 2015 16:25

I see that you already tried "Recuva". I missed that before but,I will add that with "Recuva" .... there is a box to specify if you want to scan for deleted or non-deleted files.

In a different set of circumstances,to recover files from a failed hard drive,I had to check off the "Scan for Non-Deleted" files box and then run a second scan for the files to appear. I would at least try to scan in both modes before you give up.

Also,don't use the scan for music / audio option presented when the program starts because a) those specific types of scans did not work for me and b) that type of scan would not recover your zipped files and maybe not even FLAC files ..... maybe only mp3 and / or WAV files may appear in those scan results. The best bet may be to scan for all files in both deleted and non-deleted modes - if you remember which folders on the hard drive the music was stored.

Also,like I said,before throwing in the towel,I would give GParted a shot. It is a great piece of software for partitioning so maybe its data recovery would work well,too. It does not sound like your data was overwritten with multiple passes.

Anyway,going forward,if your data is important to you,you could consider a RAID configuration. For example some 1.5 TB hard drives are really 2 x 750 GB hard drives. A configuration can be set-up to mirror your data and save 2 copies of each file ..... 1 copy on 2 different hard drives so that if one hard drive fails or is overwritten,you still have your data on another hard drive.

Date: August 27, 2015 21:06

Winning Ugly VXII
I see that you already tried "Recuva". I missed that before but,I will add that with "Recuva" .... there is a box to specify if you want to scan for deleted or non-deleted files.

In a different set of circumstances,to recover files from a failed hard drive,I had to check off the "Scan for Non-Deleted" files box and then run a second scan for the files to appear. I would at least try to scan in both modes before you give up.

Also,don't use the scan for music / audio option presented when the program starts because a) those specific types of scans did not work for me and b) that type of scan would not recover your zipped files and maybe not even FLAC files ..... maybe only mp3 and / or WAV files may appear in those scan results. The best bet may be to scan for all files in both deleted and non-deleted modes - if you remember which folders on the hard drive the music was stored.

Also,like I said,before throwing in the towel,I would give GParted a shot. It is a great piece of software for partitioning so maybe its data recovery would work well,too. It does not sound like your data was overwritten with multiple passes.

Anyway,going forward,if your data is important to you,you could consider a RAID configuration. For example some 1.5 TB hard drives are really 2 x 750 GB hard drives. A configuration can be set-up to mirror your data and save 2 copies of each file ..... 1 copy on 2 different hard drives so that if one hard drive fails or is overwritten,you still have your data on another hard drive.

Thanks for the advice! As I still didn't use the drive, all options are still open, so I'll give it another try with Recuva and I'm going to try to find someone who runs Linux on his PC (I think one of my neighbors does).

Really appreciate all the concern and advice!!!!!

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:26

Maybe it would be actually smart to pay to get your data back. Either by buying a software (freewares are very limited) or to send your drive to a shop that does data saving.

My 2 cents...

Date: August 27, 2015 22:16

dcba
Maybe it would be actually smart to pay to get your data back. Either by buying a software (freewares are very limited) or to send your drive to a shop that does data saving.

My 2 cents...

Paid $ 69.95 for EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 8.0...

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: August 27, 2015 22:59

Hi Chris,
i'm sad for you, i've same trouble in past.
Program repairs are good for photo but vob, avi or another video are difficult to repair.
i've used stellar
[www.stellarinfo.com]

Good luck , friend

Sici

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: August 29, 2015 02:38

Hi Chris,

I did the same thing many years ago. You learn a lot by having this problem once.

I now backup everything on two separate HDDs and a Raid System.

If there's anything you need, please ask.

ExileStones

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 07:06

exilestones
Hi Chris,

I did the same thing many years ago. You learn a lot by having this problem once.

ExileStones

Chris, I have to wonder about this. If it really was a backup drive in the way that exilestones mentioned, doesn't that mean that you have it all safely on your main drive, and that all you need to do is back it all up again to the other drive? I'd be nice to hear that all you lost was your duplicate, which of course can be redone from your main drive any time.

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 07:44

I'm very sorry for you - I don't have so much stuff from the Stones like you long time fans, but if there is anything I could give to you, just let know - you helped me out lots of time in the past

Date: August 29, 2015 10:19

stonesman87
exilestones
Hi Chris,

ExileStones

Chris, I have to wonder about this. If it really was a backup drive in the way that exilestones mentioned, doesn't that mean that you have it all safely on your main drive, and that all you need to do is back it all up again to the other drive? I'd be nice to hear that all you lost was your duplicate, which of course can be redone from your main drive any time.

I was re-organizing my HDD's because with all the downloading (and making rar files to upload to Wetransfer), it started to become a mess.

And then I did something really stupid; I erased a back-up disc and then started to copy/paste from different discs to that one, 10 or 15 folders at a time and erased them from the original disc before starting with the next batch. So the originals were gone.

I had bought another 3 Tb disc that I was going to use to back-up the disc I just created. But I had to format the new one first and that's where it went wrong. The new disc had two partitions; H and I. My newly created original disc was J. All went fine with the H partition, but when I wanted to do a quick format of the I drive, I didn't pay enough attention and I formatted the (new) J drive (which was at that moment a main drive, not a back-up drive).....

The only good thing is that the stuff on the drive was organized by year, so now I only have to see which years I'm missing.

It's "only" CD's, no DVD's and meanwhile I was already able to get a nice part restored by downloading from The StonesVault.

Needless to say that I will pay more attention the next time I want to format a drive smiling smiley

So, many thanks to the people who offered their help here and by e-mail to help me out, and thank G.. for the StonesVault!

Chris from Belgium

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2144
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home