Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Formatted Back-up drive.....sad smiley
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 29, 2015 10:31

Christian,
If you think I have something I can send you pls email me.

Re: Formatted Back-up drive.....sad smiley
Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: August 29, 2015 13:55

Meanwhile I gave up on trying to get back the lost data.
I used several softwares, but even the one I paid for (and that guaranteed successful recovery), didn’t help much, although I hadn’t used the HDD after the mishap.
In fact, lots of the files I recovered were rubbish ; artwork (jpg files) weren’t recognized, text files (info files) were just a series of letters and symbols, and many flac files turned out to be vob files (probably from earlier stuff on that disc, as I only had audio folders written to the disc just before I accidentally formatted it).

I tried everything including “deep scan” (which took almost 22 hours to complete).

My guess is that the recovery software just can’t handle a large disc. I have been successful with recovery of a folder or file before, but 1.5 Tb…….

Maybe interesting to know; Recuva, a free software, gave a better result than the one I bought (EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 8.0) All files I could recover as they should be, came from Recuva.
(I just did a short scan of one of my discs to take some screenshots to show you what it looks like)
The only problem with Recuva is that it gives you a list of all files (see first image), but you have to create the folder again and then “recover” the files that belong in that folder to it (and you have to do that for each folder).

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 8.0 gives a nice image with the disc’s original format (folders, subfolders, files) (see second image), but fu.. up the recovery (see above).

So now I’m downloading what’s missing. I can’t stress enough how helpful the StonesVault is, especially for something like this.

I have a premium Filefactory account and unlimited data transfer volume from my ISP, so it will only take a couple of days (I’m not downloading 24/7, LOL!) until I get most concerts back. (outtakes and other stuff was on other discs )

So, to end, it’s not the disaster I first thought it was (due to the fact that it was an organized disc and I know for 99% what’s missing).

And if something like this happens to you, if you want to rescue at least part of what you lost, make sure you don't write anything to the disc with the lost data (sometimes it's just a folder you accidentally deleted, so as long as you don't touch that disc before you start the recovery, it should be OK)

RECUVA:

EaseUs:

Chris from Belgium

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2025
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home