Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tell me (you're coming back) on first album
Posted by: bmandolini ()
Date: July 1, 2015 08:39

Hello everyone. I'm looking for the version of TELL ME included in the first press album "The Rolling Stones" which is different than the classic version.
Can someone please help me? thanks

bmandolini@katamail.com

Re: Tell me (you're coming back) on first album
Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: July 1, 2015 19:28

https://thepiratebay.gd/search/rolling%20stones/0/99/100

Check out this link and you'll probably find it.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 4, 2015 01:14

bmandolini@katamail.com asked for Tell Me. I have a few versions in my collection. I'm not sure about the differences or how many versions of "Tell Me" exist. Does someone have the answer?

ExileStones
PhotoMedia@live.com

(random Tell Me image)

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: July 4, 2015 01:43

Found this one:

The original version of the song "Tell Me (You’re Coming Back)". The song breaks off abruptly in the middle of the note. So it was on the original UK vinyl. On all subsequent reissues on vinyl and CD - fade-out.
24 February 1964:London, Regent Sound Studios.

Wetransfer link (valid until July 10th):

[we.tl]

Chris from Belgium

Date: July 4, 2015 01:43

RS 1964 Tell Me

[en.wikipedia.org])

"Tell Me" was recorded in London in February 1964; versions both with and without Ian Stewart's piano were cut.[3][4]

Jagger said: "Keith was playing 12-string and singing harmonies into the same microphone as the 12-string. We recorded it in this tiny studio in the West End of London called Regent Sound, which was a demo studio. I think the whole of that album was recorded in there."[2]

Richards said in a 1971 interview with Rolling Stone, "'Tell Me'... was a dub. Half those records were dubs on that first album, that Mick and I and Charlie and I'd put a bass on or maybe Bill was there and he'd put a bass on. 'Let's put it down while we remember it,' and the next thing we know is, 'Oh look, track 8 is that dub we did a couple months ago.' That's how little control we had."[5]
Early pressings of the UK release of the debut album mistakenly included the piano-less version of "Tell Me" (the 2:52 version); all subsequent releases have featured the version with piano.[4] The full-length (4:05 or 4:06) recording of this piano version, which appeared on the standard UK LP after the mistake was corrected, has an abrupt ending before the performance of the song finishes. Most other LP and CD versions of the UK debut album -- as well as the Stones' US debut album, subtitled England's Newest Hit Makers -- contain an edited version of this recording, which fades out at around 3:48.

In June 1964 "Tell Me" was released as a single in the USA only. The single edit is 2:47. It peaked at # 24 for two weeks, and lasting in the Billboard Hot 100 for a total of 10 weeks.[citation needed] The B-side was a cover of the Willie Dixon song "I Just Wanna Make Love to You".

The "Tell Me" single was re-released on various Rolling Stones compilation albums, including Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass), More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies), 30 Greatest Hits, and Singles Collection: The London Years.

Over the years, the 3:48 edit has replaced the 2:47 single edit on such compilations; for example, the 1989 edition of Singles Collection: The London Years has the single edit, while the 2002 edition has the longer version.

[www.nzentgraf.de]

640224A 24th and 25th February: London, Regent Sound Studios.
Producer: Andrew Oldham. Sound engineer: Bill Farley.

- Tell Me I (MJ/KR) -early version, pressed mistakenly on the first copies
of the British debut album; 24th February

- Tell Me II (MJ/KR) -STU an piano; debut album-version; 24th February

- Tell Me III (MJ/KR) -STU an piano; edit (used for US-single); 24th February

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 4, 2015 01:58

coowouters
Found this one:

The original version of the song "Tell Me (You’re Coming Back)". The song breaks off abruptly in the middle of the note. So it was on the original UK vinyl. On all subsequent reissues on vinyl and CD - fade-out.

[we.tl]

This is not the one featured on the very early pressings. It was a completely different recording that was included by mistake.

[we.tl]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 02:17 by Deltics.

Date: July 4, 2015 02:26

thanks

Posted by: max56 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 07:27

well done christian

Posted by: coowouters ()
Date: July 4, 2015 10:50

Deltics
coowouters
Found this one:

[we.tl]

This is not the one featured on the very early pressings. It was a completely different recording that was included by mistake.

[we.tl]

Thanks for the link!!!
I found the one I posted on Youtube and did a copy/paste of the text....

Chris from Belgium

Posted by: alfstone ()
Date: July 4, 2015 14:07

coowouters
Deltics
coowouters
Found this one:

[we.tl]

[we.tl]

Thanks for the link!!!

I´ve got the original uk version that ends abruptly, but on a spanish 1981´s reissue of the original LP. So this reissue got the same "mistake", and I´m very happy with that version, for me the best version, the one with the abrupt ending. More authentic feel.

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 4, 2015 15:44

alfstone
coowouters
Deltics
coowouters
Found this one:

[we.tl]

[we.tl]

Thanks for the link!!!

I´ve got the original uk version that ends abruptly, but on a spanish 1981´s reissue of the original LP. So this reissue got the same "mistake", and I´m very happy with that version, for me the best version, the one with the abrupt ending. More authentic feel.

[www.discogs.com]

The one with the abrupt ending is not the one issued by mistake and is not in the least bit rare. I bought my copy brand new in the seventies and that also had the sudden ending. When I first heard it I thought the needle had skipped! I suspect that in their rush to correct the error they didn't check to see that the track had been "faded" properly. This was corrected when "England's Newest Hit Makers" was released.
As I have said, the version issued by mistake is a completely different recording, possibly a demo, and was only included on initial pressings of the album. That version has never seen the light of day since.
Well, not officially, anyway! winking smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 20:58 by Deltics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home