Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rare Some Girls Collectors' CD - Updated
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: July 9, 2015 18:49

catalog number under bar code on back 7-2438-47867-2-4.

I remember buying this Some Girls CD when it came out in 1999.

Virgin had released collectors' edition Rolling Stones CDs in over-sized jewel cases in 1994 LP replicas. Then a few years later there were a few more CDs released as mini LPs too.

The second set of CD LP album replicas. This "Some Girls" Collectors'CD came in a plastic bag without a jewel case and featured a round "Limited collector's Edition" sticker on the bag.

I tried very hard at the time to get any information on the CDs but could not get any.

The mix was different on the plastic bag edition with the round sticker than the releases in the over-sized jewel cases.

My best guess comes from an interview with Keith where he said he didn't like the Virgin Remasters (before they were released) and rejected them. Virgin or Bob Ludwig, redid the mastering which became the releases in the over-sized jewel cases. I'm guessing these plastic bag releases were the rejects?

Does any body have any information on this Collector's Edition in the plastic bag with the round sticker. These round sticker releases were also on LP.

With constant re-releases of Rolling Stones albums, I'd like to know how many different versions there are of each album. More to the point, how many mixes of each. Which mastering/mix is each release?

This one is different than every other. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 02:05 by exilestones.

Re: Rare Some Girls Collectors' CD
Date: July 9, 2015 19:38

I have a copy of 'Emotional Rescue' from that series, came in a plastic 'slip-case shell', but the actual case for the CD was a mock-vinyl record cover/sleeve. It came with a mini-poster replica that came with the original vinyl. Glad I picked it up for $10.

Here's a picture of it from an eBay posting...

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 20:19

hi yes i remember i have this one too and "exile on mainstreet" & Sticky Fingers" those 3 titles have been re-released after the other ones were sold out .. just 3 titles and .. bigger size mini lp sleeve !

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 9, 2015 20:44

Yeah i have Emotional Rescue and Tatoo You in that sort of package too.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 9, 2015 21:47

Yes me too I have.

E.O.M.S.
G.H.S.
I.O.R.R..
B'n'B
S.G.
E.R.

The stickers on mine are Black square, with the same wording.They are quite cool they were made to be replica mini LP covers.with EOMS -GHS - & BnB being proper gatefold, and SG having the cut out's on the front. I don't know why I did not buy Sticky Fingers, perhaps It did not come with a real zip.I seem to remember I was trying to track down a Japanese digi pack of Sticky with a real zip at the time.If anyone has Sticky on these Virgin releases can they confirm Zip or no Zip.Mine are the oversized Jewel cases that you slip the cover in from the side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 21:51 by Tonstone.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 9, 2015 23:48

I collected em all back in 94 too, 8 studio albums from Sticky Fingers to Tattoo You (those were all that were released). My Sticky Fingers zipper ended up warping the cd before I realized it, much like it did to the early lp's I suppose. Wish I'd have known this or I'd have stored it in a separate jewel case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-09 23:51 by shadooby.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: July 10, 2015 20:11

BeforeTheyMakeMeRun
I have a copy of 'Emotional Rescue' from that series, came in a plastic 'slip-case shell', but the actual case for the CD was a mock-vinyl record cover/sleeve. It came with a mini-poster replica that came with the original vinyl. Glad I picked it up for $10.

Here's a picture of it from an eBay posting...

I have goat's head soup and black and blue. Wish I had gotten sticky and exile

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 10, 2015 22:33

shadooby
I collected em all back in 94 too, 8 studio albums from Sticky Fingers to Tattoo You (those were all that were released). My Sticky Fingers zipper ended up warping the cd before I realized it, much like it did to the early lp's I suppose. Wish I'd have known this or I'd have stored it in a separate jewel case.

Hi Shadooby did it actually come with a real zipper? - I can't remember but would have bought it.

Posted by: joguema ()
Date: July 10, 2015 23:30

Tonstone
shadooby

Hi Shadooby did it actually come with a real zipper? - I can't remember but would have bought it.

I also have all 8 in the over-sized jewel-cases and I can confirm that my Sticky Fingers came WITH a REAL zipper.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 10, 2015 23:53

Date: July 11, 2015 03:26

The series I am talking about came in a clear plastic bag. No hard jewel case. Also has the round sticker.

These were the same year as the over sized jewel cases but not the same series. Different catalog numbers. I believe only released in the USA. The mix is different than the oversized jewel cases. re-read the post at the top.

The Rolling Stones - Some Girls [1999 Virgin Remastered Collector's Edition]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 01:56 by exilestones.

Date: July 11, 2015 03:27

The series I am talking about came in a clear plastic bag. No hard jewel case. Also has the round sticker.

These were the same year as the over-sized jewel cases but not the same series. Different catalog numbers. I believe only released in the USA. The mix is different than the oversized jewel cases. re-read the post at the top.

I definity made a mistake on what year this plastic bag/round sticker series came out. It was not 1994. I remember where I was at the time and it was a few years past 1994. I took the date from an online retailer.

"Sticky Fingers" in this series catalog number is Virgin 7 2438-47863-2. Again, no oversized jewel case, plastic bag and round sticker.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-11 12:34 by exilestones.

Date: July 11, 2015 12:34

rogerriffin

These were cool to collect. They were readily available but now they'd be considered rare.

I thought everyone remember this 1994 Virgin Collector's Editions. I asked Dimitri, "You know those Stones CDs in the over-sized jewel cases?" He said, "No."

I thought for a moment, "These 1994 Virgin Collector's Editions in the too big jewel case to fit in the CD holder were made twenty-one years ago. This kid wasn't even born when they were released."

How many were there?

Thanks for sharing.

Re: Rare Some Girls Collectors' CD - Updated
Date: July 11, 2015 21:16

"Sticky Fingers" Virgin 7243-8-47883-2-8 from the 'plastic bag series.' Notice the plastic bag and the round sticker?

"Exile on Main Street" 72438-47864-2-7

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 02:04 by exilestones.

Date: July 11, 2015 21:25

I found the plastic bag "Some Girls" on ebay:

eBay Link

Released: 10/05/1999 USA

Date: July 12, 2015 01:17

Looks like the same thing as the 1994 editions only with a plastic bag instead of the special jewel case...

Date: July 12, 2015 01:25

shadooby
Looks like the same thing as the 1994 editions only with a plastic bag instead of the special jewel case...

Yes it does. Notice that there is no bar code on the back cover with the catalog number. The oversized has printing on the back cover at the bottom.

The special jewel case catalog number is 72438-39505-2-2.
The plastic bag's collector's edition is 72438-47867-2-4.

I believe it's a rare mix of the album from what I remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 01:37 by exilestones.

Date: July 12, 2015 01:29

1994 over-sized jewel case edition:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 01:35 by exilestones.

Date: July 12, 2015 01:42

exilestones
shadooby

Yes it does. Notice that there is no bar code on the back cover with the catalog number. The oversized has printing on the back cover at the bottom.

The special jewel case catalog number is 72438-39505-2-2.
The plastic bag's collector's edition is 72438-47867-2-4.

I believe it's a rare mix of the album from what I remember.

Oh great, you had to tell me that...now, if it is, I'll have to talk myself out of seeking these out.

Date: July 12, 2015 02:11

its not the same .. even the 2nd version has a bigger sleeve size !!!

only 3 titles were re released after the collectors editions set of 8

some girls sticky and exile ..

richard

Date: July 12, 2015 02:20

I found a thread on these 1999 Virgin Collector's CDs. Apparently, everyone confuses the two series of Virgin mini LP replicas. The 1999 releases had no announcement and came and went quickly.

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

[rateyourmusic.com]

Date: July 12, 2015 02:32

yes everyone things they are the same but its NOT also the size of the paper sleeve is bigger

richard

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 12, 2015 14:05

Guys, why dont' you check matrix numbers for those CDs or run them through EAC or CueTools? Maybe the difference is only the packing and label print?

I am 150% sure that 'Collector's edition' posted by rogerriffin and regular pressing from Holland came with the same mastering by Bob Ludwig. I am not sure they are 'bit by bit' clones but they are clones within null samples for sure.

Regarding the mix. I believe some Japanese TOCP CDs from 1999 were slightly tweaked. I do not remember the details. But essentially they are the same Ludwig's mastering with slightly different EQ applied.

PS. A quote from Ricardo @ Honestman's Stones Cave
Virgin CDVX 2730 STICKY FINGERS (CD, zip sleeve, 202.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2731 EXILE ON MAIN ST (CD, 12 postcards, 191.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2735 GOAT'S HEAD SOUP (CD, with insert, 135.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2733 IT'S ONLY ROCK'N ROLL (CD, 115.000 copies, with longer, unfaded version of "Luxury", 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2736 BLACK AND BLUE (CD, 125.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2734 SOME GIRLS (CD, 180.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2737 EMOTIONAL RESCUE (CD, thermographic poster, 128.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2732 TATTOO YOU (CD, 130.000 copies, with longer version of "Slave", 6/94)

I wonder who chose the number of copies for each title.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 14:23 by ironbelly.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 12, 2015 19:10

exilestones
rogerriffin

These were cool to collect. They were readily available but now they'd be considered rare.

I thought everyone remember this 1994 Virgin Collector's Editions. I asked Dimitri, "You know those Stones CDs in the over-sized jewel cases?" He said, "No."

I thought for a moment, "These 1994 Virgin Collector's Editions in the too big jewel case to fit in the CD holder were made twenty-one years ago. This kid wasn't even born when they were released."

How many were there?

Thanks for sharing.

I have a somewhat funny story on how I got this version, the set of 8. At the time they were out, I didn't want to rebuy the same discs I already had, but VH1 did have some contest advertised on TV to win these. I can't remember the contest details, but somehow I won -- and when they sent them to me, it was 4 of these remasters, and 4 of the original cds.

I was so upset that they did not give me what was promised on their promos for the contest. I wrote letters, emails, tried to call -- all with no responses. Our local newspaper had a section for solving grievances, you write a letter, they look into it for you, resolve it, and publish about it in the paper. I wrote, and the person from the paper came thru! Within about 2 weeks, I had the rest of the discs that were promised, and they never asked for the wrong ones back, so I ended up with 4 extra. And my story made it into the grievance section a couple weeks after -- I wish I saved it!

Date: July 12, 2015 19:14

ironbelly
Guys, why dont' you check matrix numbers for those CDs or run them through EAC or CueTools? Maybe the difference is only the packing and label print?

I am 150% sure that 'Collector's edition' posted by rogerriffin and regular pressing from Holland came with the same mastering by Bob Ludwig. I am not sure they are 'bit by bit' clones but they are clones within null samples for sure.

Regarding the mix. I believe some Japanese TOCP CDs from 1999 were slightly tweaked. I do not remember the details. But essentially they are the same Ludwig's mastering with slightly different EQ applied.

PS. A quote from Ricardo @ Honestman's Stones Cave
Virgin CDVX 2730 STICKY FINGERS (CD, zip sleeve, 202.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2731 EXILE ON MAIN ST (CD, 12 postcards, 191.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2735 GOAT'S HEAD SOUP (CD, with insert, 135.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2733 IT'S ONLY ROCK'N ROLL (CD, 115.000 copies, with longer, unfaded version of "Luxury", 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2736 BLACK AND BLUE (CD, 125.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2734 SOME GIRLS (CD, 180.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2737 EMOTIONAL RESCUE (CD, thermographic poster, 128.000 copies, 6/94)
Virgin CDVX 2732 TATTOO YOU (CD, 130.000 copies, with longer version of "Slave", 6/94)

I wonder who chose the number of copies for each title.

Could You tell if those amount of copies are incl. the USA Package that were send to JAPAN in japan they sold the USA version with additional OBI for japanese fan/market ... ?

Richard

Date: July 12, 2015 21:26

DECCA61
its not the same .. even the 2nd version has a bigger sleeve size !!!

only 3 titles were re released after the collectors editions set of 8

some girls sticky and exile ..

richard

Thanks! That's why I couldn't remember the 4th CD. There wasn't one.

Date: July 12, 2015 21:26

DECCA61
yes everyone things they are the same but its NOT also the size of the paper sleeve is bigger

richard

Thanks

Date: July 12, 2015 22:14

ironbelly

I'm not familiar with EAC or CueTools. Apparently these programs will show difference in the two different series of CDs? Should I download these tools or should I rip one of the CDs and upload it so you could check? Thanks.

What will the matrix numbers show? Sorry for not knowing these things. Your help is appreciated.

Wikipedia:
"A matrix number is an alphanumeric code (and on occasion, other symbols) stamped or handwritten (or a combination of the two) into the run-out groove area of a gramophone record.

A matrix number is intended for the internal use of the record manufacturing plant, but they are also studied and documented by record collectors, as they can sometimes provide useful information about the edition of the record.
There are two parts of the matrix number to be considered: the main number, which is usually printed on the label as well, and extra information which can include a cut or take number. Matrix numbers can refer to any of these elements, or all of them combined. The inscription area may also contain record plant codes or logos, the initials or signature of the disc cutting engineer, and cutting or copyright dates, among other things.

The most important part of the extra information is usually the cut number, which is a suffix to the main number. For example, matrix number 12345 is seen on a label, but examination of the run-out groove area reveals number 12345–3, which indicates this is the third cut of this side.

Sides are recut for various reasons. Record stampers can only be used to make so many copies before they become worn, and a new cut is required. (As of the early 1980s, this was no longer true.)

Recuts can also be made when there is a problem with the previous cut, for example, a technical fault. When a new cut is made, several copies called test pressings are made for technicians (and, for a new record, the producer and the recording artist) to review the cut, and determine if it should be accepted or rejected. If it is rejected, another cut must be made.

More reasons for multiple cuts: If a record is pressed at more than one factory, each factory may make it’s own master cut. If a record is issued internationally, each country typically cuts its own masters. If a record is re-issued by a different company, or by the same company under a different catalogue number, the record is usually recut.

Compact discs (CDs) also contain factory codes inscribed near the hub (center), and these are also called matrix numbers.

Matrix numbers are often quoted as evidence that a record is a "first pressing", although this term is not used in a consistent manner by collectors.
A record may be referred to as a "second pressing" if the cut number changes, but the label, cover, and musical content are otherwise identical.

A greater importance to collectors is where a recut contains an audible difference from previous cuts. Some recuts contain a different take, mix, or edit (length of song) from previous editions.

Record collectors have often been amused to find hidden messages inscribed in the run-out area. U2's Rattle and Hum (1988) features a secret message to the band's production manager, Anne Louise Kelly, reading "We Love You A.L.K."

There is an instance where a message is believed to have been inserted at the request of the recording artist, on Led Zeppelin's single, "Immigrant Song", which contains this message on copies made in more than one country: "Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law". Not all copies contain this inscription, and copies that do have a higher collector's value.

Date: July 12, 2015 22:25

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 22:36 by exilestones.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 13, 2015 02:05

exilestones
EAC allows to rip accurately your CD and to compare the results with database. In the end you'll get checksums for the files and peak levels. So you'll know what mastering you have.
CueTools is a similar program with additiona options. It allows you to compare your rip with multiple other rips of the same or similar CDs (different pressings).

Both programs return the set of CRC codes (checksums) of the files with or w/o null samples and samples offsets associated with pressing equipment and mastering.

Matrices of the CDs is a special branch of the numerology winking smiley. But it is very interesting.

For example, the image you show

At 9-11 o'clock = catalog number, ID of this CD.
At 4-5 o'clock - Mastered by EMI Mfg. = Glass master was cut at EMI Manufacturing USA
At 2 o'clock - ifpi 1673 (if I read it right) = SID-Code Factory ifpi 16** corresponds to pressing plant EMI MFG in the USA (EMI Compact Disc pressing plant, Jacksonville, Illinois). Last two numbers are the ID for the pressing (mould) machine.
At 3 o'clock -IFPI L043 (if I am not mistaken) = SID-Code CD-Master corresponds to pressing plant EMI MFG in the USA.
SID Codes - On many CDs, there are two Source Identification Codes (SID Code) in the matrix band. The SID Code, which was introduced in April 1994, consists of the letters IFPI (which stands for the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry), followed by 4 or 5 additional characters. There are two different SID Codes found on CDs:

Mastering Code - The first SID Code in the matrix band is the "Mastering Code." The Mastering Code begins with "IFPI" followed by a sequence of digits beginning with the letter L, followed by two numbers that indicate the pressing plant, and then 1 or 2 additional digits that indicate the Laser Beam Recorder (LBR) that cut the glass master. The Mastering Code is put on the CD at the time the glass master of the CD is cut by the LBR, and it appears on all subsequent pressings of the CD sourced from that specific glass master.
Mould Code - The second SID Code on a CD is the "Mould Code." The Mould Code begins with "ifpi" followed by two digits that indicate the specific pressing plant that pressed the disc, and two additional digits that indicate the unique mould or stamper that pressed the CD.

I can't see father - mother- stampler IDs (like 1-1-9 or something) but I believe they should be there.
Presence of those ifpi codes point the CD was pressed after 1994. IFPI became mandatory by the second half of 1994. And the first pressing of this CD in Collector's Edition with plastic box has completely different matrix. I'll show it tomorrow. Thus, the one you have is definitevely late re-issue.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 12:12 by ironbelly.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2276
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home