Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Richards gave me hep-c
Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: December 4, 2008 23:28

That's not really true. But, in a way, it is.

Back in 1975, when I was a 13 year old baby freak, I was an avid reader of Creem, Rolling Stone mag, etc. I devoured every article on the Stones and Keith was always my favorite. I read everything I could find about the Stones but especially Keith. The media loved to portray him as the worlds most 'elegantly wasted human'. I couldn't wait to try heroin and when I was 18 I got my wish.

Twenty odd years later I have stage 2 liver disease and hepatitis C. I'm not alone in this, as most of you all know. It is estimated that about 4 million people in the United States are infected with hepatitis C, which is about 2% of the population. This makes hepatitis C much more common than HIV infection. About 2.7 million Americans had chronic hepatitis C infection in the early 1990s, which means they could not clear the virus on their own. This number is expected to increase to 10.8 million in the next 10 to 12 years. Each year, there are about 35,000 cases of acute hepatitis C.

Keith, of course being Keith, was one of the lucky ones and cleared the virus on his own. The rest of us went on to develop long term chronic conditions and can look forward to a) 6 to 12 months of intense chemo-like treatment that may or may not work or b) watch and wait and hope for better treatment (it's coming) and pray we don't die of cirrosis anytime soon.

I was a very young, very stupid kid living in a very irresponsible time, where if you didn't get high you weren't 'cool' and the media made sure we all knew that. I don't blame Keith, I blame myself. But it is what it is and I am not alone. The graveyards are full of keith wannabe's. I'm just lucky I'm not six feet under yet.

I don't think getting high is as cool as it once was. But I still think there are fans out there who, in an idiotic attempt to emulate one of their heroes, might consider experimenting with something that could very well kill them, either quickly or 20-30-40 years down the road. I'm just hoping my little story here might change their mind.

That's all. I'm sorry if this bummed anyone out but I have needed to say this for a very long time. I just hope I don't get too many 'how dare you blame Keith for your stupidity' posts... the reality is, famous people are HIGHLY influential, especially to young people. And its a shame that 'responsible media' is an oxymoron.

Re: Keith Richards gave me hep-c
Posted by: Des ()
Date: December 5, 2008 00:16

We all pay the devil for our choices, yes I have had my share.

As far as role models go I must admit Keith was a bit of a icon. As a lighter topic my freinds older brother and his roomy immediatly upon hearing about Keith chucking stuff out of his hotel room, went to Vancouver, rented a room 14 stories above the pool and cleaned out the room.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: December 5, 2008 00:28

keefan4ever

Back in 1975, when I was a 13 year old baby freak, I was an avid reader of Creem, Rolling Stone mag, etc. I devoured every article on the Stones and Keith was always my favorite. I read everything I could find about the Stones but especially Keith. The media loved to portray him as the worlds most 'elegantly wasted human'. I couldn't wait to try heroin and when I was 18 I got my wish.

Twenty odd years later I have stage 2 liver disease and hepatitis C. I'm not alone in this, as most of you all know. It is estimated that about 4 million people in the United States are infected with hepatitis C, which is about 2% of the population. This makes hepatitis C much more common than HIV infection. About 2.7 million Americans had chronic hepatitis C infection in the early 1990s, which means they could not clear the virus on their own. This number is expected to increase to 10.8 million in the next 10 to 12 years. Each year, there are about 35,000 cases of acute hepatitis C.

Keith, of course being Keith, was one of the lucky ones and cleared the virus on his own. The rest of us went on to develop long term chronic conditions and can look forward to a) 6 to 12 months of intense chemo-like treatment that may or may not work or b) watch and wait and hope for better treatment (it's coming) and pray we don't die of cirrosis anytime soon.

I was a very young, very stupid kid living in a very irresponsible time, where if you didn't get high you weren't 'cool' and the media made sure we all knew that. I don't blame Keith, I blame myself. But it is what it is and I am not alone. The graveyards are full of keith wannabe's. I'm just lucky I'm not six feet under yet.

I don't think getting high is as cool as it once was. But I still think there are fans out there who, in an idiotic attempt to emulate one of their heroes, might consider experimenting with something that could very well kill them, either quickly or 20-30-40 years down the road. I'm just hoping my little story here might change their mind.

That's all. I'm sorry if this bummed anyone out but I have needed to say this for a very long time. I just hope I don't get too many 'how dare you blame Keith for your stupidity' posts... the reality is, famous people are HIGHLY influential, especially to young people. And its a shame that 'responsible media' is an oxymoron.

you are a fool and got exactly what you deserved

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 5, 2008 00:30

Tough post to make and to admit.
Good luck to you.
I drink way too much beer and have always felt it had something to do with my hero.

I have also spent way too much on customizing Telecasters....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 5, 2008 00:34

>I don't blame Keith, I blame myself.

In that case you may wish to change the subject of your thread, as it suggests otherwise.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 5, 2008 00:37

Gazza
>I don't blame Keith, I blame myself.

In that case you may wish to change the subject of your thread, as it suggests otherwise.

suggested wording:

"I gave myself hep-c; Monkey-c, Monkey-do"

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 5, 2008 00:41

Sorry about your troubles, but you can find the responsibility by simply looking in the mirror. Keith never advocated using drugs or drink, but he did say it's not for everyone.

Date: December 5, 2008 00:43

filstan
Sorry about your troubles, but you can find the responsibility by simply looking in the mirror. Keith never advocated using drugs or drink, but he did say it's not for everyone.

he should have been more specific, obviously

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 5, 2008 00:50

Imagine how many extra restaurants there woulda been in the
world if all them kids hadda followed in Bill Wyman's footsteps....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 5, 2008 00:53

Rockman
Imagine how many extra restaurants there woulda been in the
world if all them kids hadda followed in Bill Wyman's footsteps....

not to mention more patrons to fill them if they had followed his "sleeping" habits....

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: December 5, 2008 01:18

ERC6761
keefan4ever

What an @#$%&-ish comment to make.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: December 5, 2008 01:32

Kris Kristofferson once wrote a song...."Blame it on the Stones"....

I wish you health, and a long life....

JR

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 5, 2008 01:53

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-05 13:49 by Green Lady.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 5, 2008 02:00

Wish you the best of luck in your strugle..Keep the faith.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: December 5, 2008 02:03

micwer
ERC6761
keefan4ever

why may i ask

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 5, 2008 02:37

Well,go ask Blondie . .

In the late 60's/ early 70's many, many youngsters were dabbling with drugs.
If you've been young,curious and kinda rebellious rocknroll lifestyle seemed very tempting.
In those days drugs were common in RnR and many writers in the music mags and elsewhere (Kent, Murray,Bangs,etc) were glorifying it. Drugs were still quite new and you can't compare it to later times or now.

I don't like and understand people who whorship Keith and others but look down on the normal user who hadn't Keith' money and possibilities.

Date: December 5, 2008 02:43

micwer
ERC6761
keefan4ever

IAW micwer

Posted by: Sherbabe ()
Date: December 5, 2008 04:15

I have Hep-C and am stage 2 as well. I am older than you and choose speed instead of heroin, but neither choice was smart. The only thing I knew I could catch at the time was Hep-B. HIV and Hep-C were unknown at the time. Teenagers wanting to be cool and serious druggies didn't have a clue they could be injecting a virus that would be horrible to deal with 20 or 30 years later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1877
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home