Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Rod Stewart's old house
Posted by: Ron Wud ()
Date: September 26, 2008 20:55

Interested as I am in rock n roll landmarks, I'm hoping somebody could tell me a little more about Rod Stewart's old mansion which he owned from about '72 to '76. It was called Cranbourne Court and he lived here with Dee Harrington and briefly with Britt Ekland. It is in Winkfield, close to Windsor Forest. A lot of the footage in 'Smiler' documentary was filmed there.

It used to be a white fronted property. I did hear it's in the hands of a business now, probably as offices. Anyway if anyone has pics of Rod here or of the building at any time I'd really be interested. Especially as I plan on buying it when I win the £100 million Eurolottery tonight!!

I did come across these snippets:

Parish Ward Application Number
Winkfield Winkfield And Cranbourne 04/00219/LB
Proposal
Application for listed building consent for internal alterations to restore parts of
house and lodge to former condition. Repair to swimming pool roof.
Site
Cranbourne Court Windsor Road Winkfield Windsor Berkshire SL4 2DD
Decision Decision Date
Approval 07 April 2004

An adjoining 18th century mansion, Cranbourne Court, was once part of the same estate. It has had various names over the years and a myriad of well-known residents, including Admiral Sir Charles Rowley, General Sir Thomas Willshire, the Victorian actress Edna May and singer Rod Stewart. Bob Hope rented it in the Summer of 1961 when filming 'The Road to Hong Kong' and lived their with Bing Crosby and their families.

Other residences are Cranbourne Hall and Cranbourne Court. When the comedian Billy Connolly lived here, he called his house Gruntfuttock Hall but not all of the local residents were equally amused, and the name was removed as soon as Mr Connolly moved on to greater things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-09-26 21:21 by Ron Wud.

Re: OT Rod Stewart's old house
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 28, 2008 01:51

RW--this is utterly shameless but i cannot resist--

when you say "Interested as I am in rock n roll landmarks" i fel compelled to at least show you a book I wrote -

[www.amazon.com]

and a stones video from the book

and finally

i'll go away now! smiling smiley

Date: September 28, 2008 22:50

Thank you very much Chris. Enjoyed looking at all, will be hitting on my local library for your books. Right up my street sir.

Date: September 29, 2008 19:24

Here it is, the one on the right with the stripey lawn.

[virtualglobetrotting.com]

Posted by: john r ()
Date: September 29, 2008 19:34

Let Rod move back in - '76 is exactly the start of his long decline, so maybe 'it's magic...magic' as creative enviropnment!
And then Bob Hope can visit & make the sort of proto Woody Allen comedies he mastered in the '30s/40s, before he too slid into aging caricature, contracted to wade through awful TV specials with guests Ann Margaret and the Pittsburgh Steelers, so awful they inspired some (forgotton by me) punk band top record "Die Bob Die"...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1609
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home