Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Which was cooler, the Stones on 5th Ave. or the Beatles on the roof?
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 14, 2012 11:32

Sad to see all the jealousy about The Beatles in here. Just because The Beatles were the spokesmen of their generation and made the worlds most memorable music, doesn't mean The Rolling Stones aren't a cool band and on their own terms and of the worlds most influential bands period.

Get over it people. The four men from Liverpool, did everything and all others, including The Stones, followed. So What.

The Rolling Stones are a cool R'n'R band. Enjoy it!

Posted by: folke ()
Date: April 14, 2012 12:13

Bruce Springsteen borrowing a guitar from a street musician and performing three songs in Copenhagen 1988 is the coolest.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 14, 2012 12:32

Blueranger
Sad to see all the jealousy about The Beatles in here. Just because The Beatles were the spokesmen of their generation and made the worlds most memorable music, doesn't mean The Rolling Stones aren't a cool band and on their own terms and of the worlds most influential bands period.

Get over it people. The four men from Liverpool, did everything and all others, including The Stones, followed. So What.

The Rolling Stones are a cool R'n'R band. Enjoy it!

It is quite amusing. The fact that The Beatles and The Stones were good friends, collaborators, and soul mates in many ways, yet there are so many "fans" who have such closed minds and fail to understand the importance of their axis in the sixties and beyond. They inspired each other, inflamed a generation, and sat back and laughed at the supposed rivalry. Interviews with members from each band slagging the other is what brothers in arms do. Yet, in those private moments their love for each others music is shown. Keith doing an acoustic version of Please Please Me, The Beatles singing on We Love You, Keith and Mick singing on All You Need is Love, The Beatles faces hidden on the cover of Their Satanic Majesties... It just is humorous how adults carry on the teenie bopper rivalry that was orchestrated to sell more albums. It is great to be able to appreciate both bands, and have a treasure trove of inspiring music from both The Beatles and The Stones.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 14, 2012 13:47

Rooftop was cooler because it's colder in London in January than New York in May.

Seriously though as I'm a STONES fan on a STONES website what do you think?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2012 19:49

The Beatles...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 9, 2013 17:39

This may be a better contrast to the other thread.

Re: Which was cooler?????? WHICH IS COOLEST??????
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 9, 2013 18:22

Da Stones always... duh.... errr... Da Stones!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2013 18:23

Max'sKansasCity
Da Stones always... duh.... errr... Da Stones!

is that the answer to any question regarding which band was the best at....?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 9, 2013 18:27

or something.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: January 9, 2013 19:15

folke
Bruce Springsteen borrowing a guitar from a street musician and performing three songs in Copenhagen 1988 is the coolest.

Wow I bet that guy is still dining out on this story 25 years later

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 9, 2013 20:37

The Beatles. It was January afterall. Or winter. Or London. Or something.

Date: January 9, 2013 21:15

Another Veetleas promotional thread...grinning smiley

Which was cooler, the Stones on 5th Ave. or the Beatles on the roof? :confused smiley

Do you seriously doubt? eye popping smiley

Date: January 9, 2013 21:21

Hey Paul, your best supporters are in a Stones forum.

What do you think?

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 9, 2013 21:51

Stones - it announced the '75 tour

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2013 21:52

hbwriter
Stones - it announced the '75 tour

we insiders already knew

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2013 22:02

I vote for Stones in a balloon...what could be cooler than your stones 10000 feet up?!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 10, 2013 00:37

Beatles are not cool - that should be answer enough

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 10, 2013 00:53

Neither. Macca beats them both by a mile in a scene filmed for his 1984 movie Give My Regards To Broad Street, where he is filmed actually busking [Yesterday] in front of a London train station--and no one recognizes him!

Here's the story behind that scene and what Paul thought about not being recognized in public, with a guitar and singing perhaps his most famous tune no less.

Paul McCartney Busking In London In 1984 & No One Seems To Notice

In 1984 Paul McCartney filmed "Give My Regards To Broad Street," and while the movie ended up being a flop -- the plot revolved around McCartney losing his tapes and trying to get them back by midnight -- it did feature one very memorable scene.

In the film, McCartney busks -- donning ruffled hair and disheveled clothes -- in front of the Leicester Square Station in London. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for McCartney, no one recognized him as the former Beatle.

“Y’know, they just made me up and dropped me off," McCartney told the New York Daily News in 1984. "I told ‘em we’d never get away with it, but they kept putting dirt on and rufflin’ up me hair -- I was looking better and better -- and I figured, why not."

"So I was standin’ there plunkin’ chords, doing this silly version of the song, and no one noticed it was me," he continued. "No one wants to look a busker in the eye of course, ‘cus then they’d get his life story. So they’d toss coins and I’d be going, ‘Yesterday, all my troubles -- thank you, sir -- seemed so far away.'"

Despite the obvious snubs, McCartney's pride wasn't wounded. In fact, he enjoyed his busking experience, as he recalled an encounter he had with a group of punks who just wanted to dance.

"This fabulous drunk Scotsman, who didn’t know me from Jesus, came up, threw his arm around me and gave me all his coins," he told the Daily News. "I started doing these little dances and some punks came by, studs and leather, and they were dancing, too. Not because this guy’s a Beatle, but because this was something happening."

And in case you're wondering what he did with the money, he donated it to a local mission. However, that didn't stop the media from saying otherwise.

"After we did it I made sure the money was donated to the Seaman’s Mission, because otherwise I knew someone would say ‘And I’ll bet he kept the money too, the old skinflint! So the next day on the telly this woman said ‘And Paul McCartney busked at the rail station last night and he kept the money too.’ I guess it’s a better story that way.”

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/21/paul-mccartney-busking-london-1984-give-my-regards-to-broad-street_n_1615119.html

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 10, 2013 01:30

After-all it wasn't that special what the Beatles did ...they stopped touring for only 3 years and then a rooftop performance that nobody could see..confused smiley
So I'll o for the Stones close to there fans..........

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 10, 2013 02:03

The Beatles

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 10, 2013 08:14

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 10, 2013 11:02

>The four men from Liverpool, did everything and all others, including The Stones, followed.

HA wrong, the Beatless copied Jefferson Airplane (are there really 2 current threads about this or is this Luxardo liqueur that awesome? no matter, Pooneil rules)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 10, 2013 11:12

Cool, didn't know that confused smiley Put The Beatles in another position definitely.

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 10, 2013 11:14

What's also cool is that this was filmed by Godard the same year he filmed the Stones.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: January 10, 2013 12:43

Hmmmmmmmmm!

Deja Vu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 12:44 by howled.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 10, 2013 13:50

stonehearted
Neither. Macca beats them both by a mile in a scene filmed for his 1984 movie Give My Regards To Broad Street, where he is filmed actually busking [Yesterday] in front of a London train station--and no one recognizes him!

Here's the story behind that scene and what Paul thought about not being recognized in public, with a guitar and singing perhaps his most famous tune no less.

Paul McCartney Busking In London In 1984 & No One Seems To Notice

In 1984 Paul McCartney filmed "Give My Regards To Broad Street," and while the movie ended up being a flop -- the plot revolved around McCartney losing his tapes and trying to get them back by midnight -- it did feature one very memorable scene.

In the film, McCartney busks -- donning ruffled hair and disheveled clothes -- in front of the Leicester Square Station in London. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for McCartney, no one recognized him as the former Beatle.

“Y’know, they just made me up and dropped me off," McCartney told the New York Daily News in 1984. "I told ‘em we’d never get away with it, but they kept putting dirt on and rufflin’ up me hair -- I was looking better and better -- and I figured, why not."

"So I was standin’ there plunkin’ chords, doing this silly version of the song, and no one noticed it was me," he continued. "No one wants to look a busker in the eye of course, ‘cus then they’d get his life story. So they’d toss coins and I’d be going, ‘Yesterday, all my troubles -- thank you, sir -- seemed so far away.'"

Despite the obvious snubs, McCartney's pride wasn't wounded. In fact, he enjoyed his busking experience, as he recalled an encounter he had with a group of punks who just wanted to dance.

"This fabulous drunk Scotsman, who didn’t know me from Jesus, came up, threw his arm around me and gave me all his coins," he told the Daily News. "I started doing these little dances and some punks came by, studs and leather, and they were dancing, too. Not because this guy’s a Beatle, but because this was something happening."

And in case you're wondering what he did with the money, he donated it to a local mission. However, that didn't stop the media from saying otherwise.

"After we did it I made sure the money was donated to the Seaman’s Mission, because otherwise I knew someone would say ‘And I’ll bet he kept the money too, the old skinflint! So the next day on the telly this woman said ‘And Paul McCartney busked at the rail station last night and he kept the money too.’ I guess it’s a better story that way.”

Source: www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/21/paul-mccartney-busking-london-1984-give-my-regards-to-broad-street_n_1615119.html
i liked this movie .can you get it on dvd like in best buy or something ?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 10, 2013 14:47

Oh no, not THIS again.

Well, The Beatles performance on the roof is part of rock history and modern culture. It doesn't matter if someone did it before them, because it's not remembered the way The Beatles performance is.

The Stones performance on the truck is not a part of modern culture but is legendary to Stones fans and an important piece of history of the Stones. Nothing else.

Go ask a rock fan which event he remember. I'll bet 90% even can't recall the Stones on the truck...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 10, 2013 15:02

stonehearted

Even when he's messing about he can make it sound good.

Great clip.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 10, 2013 15:28

The rooftop concert is a great performance by the Beatles, and we're lucky to have it. But, it shows the band playing rock and roll as they basically regarded it in 1969 - as an outdated form of music. It's rock as nostalgia, and they sound like an oldies band - a very good one, of course, but an oldies band nevertheless. The Stones' attitude towards rock and the blues has always regarded the music as timeless and it comes through in the music.

The Beatles lost most of their feel for rock and roll and the best songs on Let it Be and Abbey Road are all ballads. It might be the reason why, although the rooftop concert is better than the flatbed performance, the Stones, because they rock, will always be cooler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-10 15:46 by drbryant.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: January 10, 2013 15:59

Glam Descendant
>The four men from Liverpool, did everything and all others, including The Stones, followed.

HA wrong, the Beatless copied Jefferson Airplane (are there really 2 current threads about this or is this Luxardo liqueur that awesome? no matter, Pooneil rules)

Very interesting.

Fact is that Beatles were very good at picking up ideas and put their own twist on them. Because of their fame they are seen as the pioneers, but they were following genereral trends rather than creating them.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1727
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home