Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
How Keith Makes My Friends Laugh
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 8, 2008 00:10

I played my bandmates Shine A Light this weekend. Nothing but laughter. It's that bad. Mick's 'singing' was laughed at - these guys are Stones fans too - but mostly it was Keith's playing. They really laughed hard at the same solo different song lick he does.

Everyone agreed - he needs to stick to plaing riffs and let Ronnie do the solos.

And Connection is the worst song in history - at bad as DBT's Bob. Personally I like Connection but they thought it was just terrible.

And I'm so enthralled by the new album I left it in Alabama. I like the Some Girls tunes.

I've tried. I dunno. It's just not so good I guess. I like it but not so much as other live albums.

Re: How Keith Makes My Friends Laugh
Posted by: Ket ()
Date: April 8, 2008 01:04

Maybe your firends just have bad taste in music.

Date: April 8, 2008 03:23

Well, seeing that they all like the Stones, you're saying they have bad taste. What does taste have to do with bad shoddy performances? Keith's playing is just not very good, when it comes to playing leads. And they all heard what everybody else here hears - same solo, different song. Badly done too. The initial groove, the way Darryl is playing in the intro and first verse of SFTD is brilliant. They all liked how it's a little different than the previous live album's version and so on. But they outright laughed when Keith played the solo.

This being a fan site does not mean 100% pro-Stones comments by fans - this is not Disney Land. Criticism is just as vital on a fan site. I'm not going to lie and say Keith plays great on every song. If it stinks it stinks - you can not defend a shitty performance. If anything it's admirable.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 8, 2008 03:54

It's easy to laugh at someone but I don't see anything funny in Keith.Relax,he still is the man.

Posted by: m1cawber ()
Date: April 8, 2008 04:04

skipstone
I played my bandmates Shine A Light this weekend. Nothing but laughter. It's that bad.
Well...I bet it's going to be hilarious listening to yourself & friends aged 64! yawning smiley

Date: April 8, 2008 04:32

We laugh pretty hard as it is now but I don't play the same solo over and over heh heh....

Date: April 8, 2008 04:33

I guess the point has been lost. Such blind defense. It's OK to admit if something isn't good or very good or is bad or pretty bad. I don't see why that is a problem. All one has to do is listen. It's very obvious.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 8, 2008 04:44

my wife laughed at his appearance...said it was songs from the cryptkeeper...he really did look like a walking skeleton....and I used to think he looked bad in '89/'90....in those clips he looked healthy compaired to now.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: April 8, 2008 06:30

Your friends are azzholes. Find new ones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-08 06:31 by Jumpin'JackFrash.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 8, 2008 06:52

Keiths solos are very limited I agree.
But they are absolutely tasteful to me.

I don't think Willie Nelson is a very good soloist either but I sure like it when he plays them.

I see your point clearly, but I think KR is better at touch rather than technique.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 8, 2008 07:34

Skipstone, you and your friends are right.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 8, 2008 07:54

connection is pretty good I thought. Although I guess keith doesnt have that many parts he plays on, its good.

If you don't like this version you must not be a fan of the Wino's then, because its similar to their version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-08 07:54 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: April 8, 2008 07:59

Your friends are idiots. Stay from them. Make new friends.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 8, 2008 08:11

Keith's playing is not only noticeably different but it is forever sealed and packaged for all to see in both SAL's soundtrack and film. There was a time when I would feel confident showing any friend a Stones DVD. I didn't have to worry about Keith or Ronnie....Mick I had trouble with...some of my friends don't get his dancing. But since ABB...it's been tough to trust Keith. You just don't know how he's gonna do.

Instead of looking forward to what he' gonna play...it's completely the opposite for me....now I'm fearful of what he might play. He has completely lost interest in maintaining the rhythm in songs. When's the last time he's played a chord while wearing a guitar in standard tuning? I'm not sure when the last time I was pleased with a Keith lick. Ronnie still wows me. His fingers are loose and limber and I've never heard the same solo twice from him.

What can Keith do? I mean, you really can't TELL him something like "hey play better." But the very LEAST he can do is at least play solos in the minor penatomic scale. Why, oh why, has he stopped doing that? He only does it during Chuck Berry solos and those usuallly are still great. But songs like Sympathy....he lingers around the same 4 notes. Why isn'e he taking advantage of the open strings in the first position? Why can't he solo up on the 12th fret?

I wish someone knowledgeable would've sat in with the mixers on SAL and helped put Keith lower in the mix when he was repeating that lazy slow bend that he does or other rough moments throughout the show. Everyone still assumes Keith Richards is STILL great. Although he is great in many ways...he is also accidentally damaging his own reputation.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 8, 2008 08:53

@#$%& the reputation. I don't think he plays so you can boast to your friends mate. Fearful of what he plays. Gimme a break.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: April 8, 2008 09:22

I hear songs like Some Girls, and even parts of Just My Imagination, and I think that Keith has the ability to do better than what he has been doing, if only he'd make a conscious effort at it. I have a feeling he knows, and that he'll do something to work at it. Having said that, I still have faith in him, it was a rough tour, but you never forget how to ride a bike, so to speak. Take it back to formula, it may not be the most ideal thing to do, but it will give you a fresh start.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: April 8, 2008 09:36

Jumpin'JackFrash
I hear songs like Some Girls, and even parts of Just My Imagination, and I think that Keith has the ability to do better than what he has been doing, if only he'd make a conscious effort at it. I have a feeling he knows, and that he'll do something to work at it. Having said that, I still have faith in him, it was a rough tour, but you never forget how to ride a bike, so to speak. Take it back to formula, it may not be the most ideal thing to do, but it will give you a fresh start.

I hear you, but Keith's biggest obstacles to playing better are health and age.

When you hear about his drugging stopping only after the Tree incident, and ongoing drinking and pot smoking, it's hopeless.

I doubt his diet is very good either.

Hey Keith stop drinking, drugging and go macrobiotic, your fingers will loosen up, your mind will focus and Stones will sound great.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 8, 2008 09:46

As a big supporter of Keith, I have to admit it's frustrating.
I find myself thinking, like justin, that there are loads of simple and appropriate licks he could use in SFTD and other numbers... which he most certainly can still play.[regardless of opinions about his arthritis.]
The fact is that he chooses not to.
Is it laziness ? ...Is it that he's simply too busy throwing shapes and pulling faces ? ...Is it that he's just carried off into some other world an isn't thinking about any of it ?
I think it's a bit of all the above...and , like it or not, that's the nature of the beast and we ain't going to change it .
On the other hand theres still a huge ammount to appreciate in Keith's tone,his timing and the little rhythmic twists he puts on old grooves.

I too sometimes wish that he'd leave the solo to Ronnie unless he's going to play a proper one...but I'm not holding my breath.;^)

Date: April 8, 2008 10:42

<but you never forget how to ride a bike, so to speak>

No, but it is hard riding it with broken legs, or in this matter with golfball fingers. Keith's arthritis looks bad, and my theory is that he has found an easy pattern to play - that doesn't hurt his fingers so much.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 8, 2008 10:51

I think his singing is better recently than it has been in recent years- i.e. You Got the Silver- he is adapting and doing just what he is capable of nowadays- maybe he plays in agony every night? But, do we want him to stop?!

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 8, 2008 10:57

nanker phelge
maybe he plays in agony every night?

..ahhh, i doubt that.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 8, 2008 11:03

I just don't like to see the all the stereotypical explanations for what Keith may or may not do/be able to do trotted out ad infinitum.

to quote Don Was

"With Keith [Richards], it's shocking because people have a caricature of him as this poster-boy for drug burnout. And that couldn't be further from the truth. He's got one of the sharpest minds I've ever encountered."

Date: April 8, 2008 11:09

<I just don't like to see the all the stereotypical explanations for what Keith may or may not do/be able to do trotted out ad infinitum.>

You go ahead and play with that fingers...

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 8, 2008 11:19

Justin
I mean, you really can't TELL him something like "hey play better." But the very LEAST he can do is at least play solos in the minor penatomic scale. Why, oh why, has he stopped doing that? He only does it during Chuck Berry solos and those usuallly are still great. But songs like Sympathy....he lingers around the same 4 notes. Why isn'e he taking advantage of the open strings in the first position? Why can't he solo up on the 12th fret?

Although he is great in many ways...he is also accidentally damaging his own reputation.

100% agree with you. i mentioned it many times: why oh why is he insisting on playing those same horrible notes in the wrong key over and over again? doesnt he hear that its cacaphony?

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Date: April 8, 2008 11:21

<100% agree with you. i mentioned it many times: why oh why is he insisting on playing those same horrible notes in the wrong key over and over again? doesnt he hear that its cacaphony?>

See above your own post. He uses the b-string because it's easier to bend. That's why he's not playing the pentatonic anymore. Just my two cents...

Posted by: zeb ()
Date: April 8, 2008 11:33

You gotta break up with your friends man!

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 8, 2008 11:40

Not as bad as my friends who call them the worst wedding band in history. hot smiley

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: April 8, 2008 11:56

DandelionPowderman

See above your own post. He uses the b-string because it's easier to bend. That's why he's not playing the pentatonic anymore. Just my two cents...

dont get what you mean....???

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: April 8, 2008 12:12

To me it is not very relevant what other people think about the Stones in general and Keith in particular. I think you've got to be a life long fan of the Stones to still be touched by Keith's charm. For many people on this earth, including me, his music has been a source of great joy during many phases of their lifes, and being able to see and hear him doing the things he does always brings up memories of these happy moments. Not every note has to be perfect to our ears.

But I can perfectly understand those who don't have this history with the Stones as the anthem of their lifes. Those that only judge the musical quality of the songs they hear. And I do understand it if that quality alone is not a reason to buy the album. I just happen to think that THOSE people are missing something. And I feel sorry for them.

Date: April 8, 2008 12:29

Quote:
DandelionPowderman

dont get what you mean....???

Well, to put it shortly - he's playing less notes and saves his fingers. And he's not using the blues scale properly anymore - as he used to. For instance, on Let Me Go (Still Life) he's alternating between the country and blues scales, playing lots of notes on different strings. Today he only uses a couple of strings and a pattern he feels comfortable with. When he plays Berry-licks it's easier because he slides more than he bends. That is harder playing with single strings.

Not so easy to explain - sorry smiling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2172
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home