Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: Shine A Light - The Rolling Stones live CD - Reviews
Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 3, 2008 07:44

... anything new coming out of the stones camps these days, ,

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: April 3, 2008 08:09

I've received the double CD this morning. I had been to both concerts and I have to say that the double CD is stunning.
A few highlights: Just like I remembered, Start Me Up is phenomenal, C&R is great and I have to give it to Chuck on Shine a Light. Satisfaction is freasking enormous.
Not crazy about Brown Sugar but Connection and LT&A rock.

This album is awesome. I'm listening to it with my Shure headphones and I don't understand all the complaints about the sound & overdubbing. It's sound raw and rock n' roll to me. One of Ronnie's finest, period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-03 08:14 by micwer.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 3, 2008 16:41

It's pointless talking about GET YER YA -YA'S OUT which is just a cosmic mistake of totally pure PERFECTION - we shant hear the likes of that moment of amazement ever again, that's for sure.....

SHINE A LIGHT double CD - my first impression is Jagger sounds super hyper in many places, I mean TOO HYPER, trying a bit too hard - rushing through - instead of just letting it all FLOW....Did anyone else notice that this is kind of a SOME GIRLS/EXILE/WAR HORSES set list? 4 songs from SOME GIRLS - IMAGINATION/FARAWAY EYES/SOME GIRLS/SHATTERED. 4 songs from EXILE - SHINE A LIGHT/ALL DOWN THE LINE/LOVING CUP/TUMBLING DICE. 6 WARHORSES - JJF/SYMPATHY/START ME UP/BROWN SUGAR/SATISFACTION/PAINT IT BLACK. Total under representation of STICKY FINGERS, TATTOO YOU, and BEGGARS BANQUET. Total Non Representation of GOAT'S HEAD SOUP, IORR, BLACK AND BLUE, EMOTIONAL RESCUE, DIRTY WORK and forget about anything from 1989 to NOW. 1983's SHE WAS HOT is the newest song on here - 25 years old !!! (would have REALLY been nice to include UNDERCOVER on here and not just give it to Japan and the down loaders). Highlights for me are CHAMPAGNE AND REEFER/SOME GIRLS (where's the black/white girls line? Go with the PC version but don't DROP IT !!!)/FAR AWAY EYES/YOU GOT THE SILVER/AS TEARS GO BY.... I don't know, the mix is good, JJF is dragging - no energy, how about throwing in BACK OF MY HAND, SAINT OF ME, I GO WILD, OUT OF CONTROL, LOVE IS STRONG - let's NOT do a BEACH BOYS show.... I don't know, I like it but they sure could have added a few more songs - MOONLIGHT MILE and NO EXPECTATIONS would have been great, TILL THE NEXT GOODBYE would have been fantastic.... SO MUCH missed opportunity, I'll give it a 7/10 and a 10/10 for the band still being around and not breaking up.......

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 3, 2008 17:02

micwer
I've received the double CD this morning. I had been to both concerts and I have to say that the double CD is stunning.
A few highlights: Just like I remembered, Start Me Up is phenomenal, C&R is great and I have to give it to Chuck on Shine a Light. Satisfaction is freasking enormous.
Not crazy about Brown Sugar but Connection and LT&A rock.

This album is awesome. I'm listening to it with my Shure headphones and I don't understand all the complaints about the sound & overdubbing. It's sound raw and rock n' roll to me. One of Ronnie's finest, period.

Agree with SMU, not with Satisfaction, and those who complain about the sound must have a bad stereo system!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 3, 2008 17:57

Uh - no. It's not being stuck in 1969, it's wishing they'd play the tune in a worthy manner. It just so happens to be that Ya-Ya's has the best version of it. And I'm not comparing Shine A Light to Ya-Ya's - just JJF's performance.

Similar to not being afraid or against change, just so long as it's good.

However, JJF on SAL is the loosest performance of it on a live album since Love You Live.

Sorry - I only have 2 or 3 1972, 4 1973, 1 1981, 1 1990 and 1 1994 boots from other tours to compare anything to as well as the official live albums.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 3, 2008 19:49

I bought the doulbe disc yesterday.
Overall, a good album which will no doubt be the soundtrack to many summer-deck rock-outs.

First of all, comparing this to the pre-1981 version of the band is just not reasonable. We all know why they don't soulnd like they used to. It IS fair to compare this to the rest of the modern era, so track-for track, here's what I think.

JJF - we've heard it played like this since 89. The Licks sitar sound from Ronnie is gone, back to the "twangy ding-dings" from Flashpoint era. Chuck's organ sounds are great. Jagger sounds more winded here than in 89-90 when this was at the end of the show - and it's the opener here.

Shattered - Didin't this song used to have a guitar solo in it? Not as good as they used to do it in 94-95.

She Was Hot - the band sounds great here. Jagger sounds a bit more enthusiastic doing a rarer song (albiet taking vocal shortcuts galore a la modern Rocks-Off).

All Down the Line - I much much much prefer the b-side to 95's Like A Rolling Stone than to this version. Doen't quite hit it.

Loving Cup - Pretty decent version. I'd much rather have had Jack harmonize with Mick in the verses instead of the switch thing - that sounds disctracting and arbitrary to me, saying "Oh look, now it's Jack White singing" a la Dave Matthews 10 years ago. Still - the band nails it. Good version.

As Tears Go By - Unintentionallly funny singing by Mick. "Wwwhyle sit and a-whhalch... as tears go by".

Some Girls - Not bad. I don't care/mind about the lyric changes really. We all know the original words. Let's face it, they'd be creepy coming from senior citizens, ad the Stones likely realize this. Other than that, just like Shepherds Bush 99 to me - which is not a bad thing.

Just My Imagination - Finally. A reason for the CD. I wasn't expecting to be blown away by this at all. Fantastic arrangement. The horns actually flavour this very nicely. Jagger is finally believeable here. Well done!

Faraway Eyes - Again - this version is really, really good, and is the midpoint of the best part of the whole collection. I was surprised too, again. Continues my opinion that every song off of Some Girls has live versions that kick the ASS of the original.

Champagne and Reefer - Just as I'd thought - the white blues boys have their English asses HANDED to them! Never i nthe guest-star history have the Stones been showed up so mercilessly than here - which is saying a LOT. Bo Diddley did it, Solomon Burke, but never have the vocals and guitar work been shredded by a true powerhouse quite like this. I'm amazed the Stones ended up releasing this! It proves that age is no longer a trump card for fans to keep forgiving less-than-stellar playing from living legends who still tour.

Tumbling Dice - I had to listen to this separatley, not right after the last track! I much prefer the 95 b-side of this. Not big on the whoo-whooooos at the end.

Sympathy - I think it's safe to say that this song can be retired now.

Live With Me - Another live version. Another female guesting on it. Ms. Aguilera made me almost forget that Sheryl Crow (bless her heart) ever did this! Well done!

Start Me Up - on par w/ Live Licks
Brown Sugar - better than Live Licks!
Satisfaction - on par w/ Live Licks

Paint It Black - this is their best live version of this song that they've released. Jagger is NOT singing through his nose, it's in the right key, and it's full of passion. I'm not even a huge fan of this song - but it's a great version!

I'm Free - this version I prefer to Stripped. Electric and soulful. Tasteful and played very well.

Shine a Light - Stripped is better. Better singing, better (somehow) solo. Neither touch the original (I know I said I wouldn't do that - but come ON).

This is a good listen over-all, despite my initial nitpicking. I give it a 7/10. I rate it higher than Disc One of Live Licks, but not as exciting as Disc 2 of the same album.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 3, 2008 19:51

this is a largely unlistenable album. far away eyes, connection, some girls, champagne & reefer exceoted.

It is a truly sad reflection on the state of the band.

OLDKR

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: April 3, 2008 20:18

skipstone
Uh - no. It's not being stuck in 1969,

Actually, you're right. You're not stuck in 1969. You just wish the band was.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 3, 2008 20:42

oldkr
this is a largely unlistenable album. far away eyes, connection, some girls, champagne & reefer exceoted.

OLDKR

I quite agree. I can't decide if the rest sounds like a cover band, if the mix was twisted or if they have truely gone to the dark Las Vegas side.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 3, 2008 21:15

you know the stones had the biggest audience for there superbowl performance 2 years ago and they didnot change the lyrics to start me up(make a dead man c$%).so now the totally drop the black girls just want to get f!@#$% all night long from the song some girls.really lame on mick's part.do it right or why bother ,i mean with the back catalog that the stones have .you get my point.to hell with all the P.C. B!@#!@#$.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 3, 2008 21:21

Rip This
I quite agree. I can't decide if the rest sounds like a cover band, if the mix was twisted or if they have truely gone to the dark Las Vegas side.

Newest song on the disc: SWH 1983

Sounds kinda Vegas to me. They should have had the guts to put on a show with nothing older than VL material.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 3, 2008 21:25

I kinda dig this cover band and find this cd largely listenable. a good picture of the band at its 2k best
For example i must be the only one on stonesearth that find this SAL better than the stripped one. I find it more "fat". Instead i dont dig very much FE or ATGB for the reason they're thin. I agree that ADTL is better in the bside of LARS.
I dont think that bg shredded quite anything. I think it is really a peculiar way to see that sweet sweating jam. I find PIB weak instead for it doesnt build up wildly in the end as say Twick 2003. To me TD is a real surprise and highlight of the record.
What make this record better than the latest live outputs is its unity it being the official boot of one night and not the compile of the best recorded perofrmances of a tour. It has its flaws and rubbish but to my ears prevail the sense of energy.
Anyway its good to have different point of views. If only some of them were argumented and not pieces of spoken truth throwed in wits to us swine...pardon stoned people...

Date: April 3, 2008 21:32

she was hot, loving cup, faraway eyes and champagne and reefer are great

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 3, 2008 21:43

jamesfdouglas wrote: Unintentionallly funny singing by Mick. "Wwwhyle sit and a-whhalch... as tears go by".

i know what you're saying...
great that he's doing a song that's so rarely done live...but....not
sure why he does that with his voice. it's even more "funny" watching
him enunciate it. heck...maybe it was that way back in the day too but
i never had the visual to associate with it.

Sometimes when he sings his ballads weird..i wonder if he's one
of those people that nobody wants to tell. Did you ever see the
Andy Griffith show when Barney tried to sing a solo with town choir? like that.

re: Sympathy for the Devil
also Mick's "woo woooos" that begin at the :40 mark are really
irritating. not his normal "woo wooos". i think there's
even more of them in the movie. if it's possible to "woo woo" like
an old old man....he did it.

I'm listening to it right now.....his "woo woos" seemed to
go on forever in the movie...on the cd there's just a few.
A couple more at the end....definitely edited a few out IMO.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 3, 2008 21:51

I am really not a fan-boy and there are numerous aspects that I dislike about the Stones as they are now. But I really believe SAL is one excellent album. The setlist is largely fantastic and so is the performance. I enjoy the heck out of Ronnie's guitar playing. Fantastic riffs and licks all over the place, together with more than just solid bass playing and a good drum sound. Yeah, Mick sings a bit flat, but I doesn't disturb me much.

Keith is a huge letdown, but I have seen them 5 times last time around and I already know that his ability to play solos and rythm is very limited. Surprisingly, this doesn't affect his playing on SMU, BS or PIB - I guess those riffs are just in his blood. But listen to Ronnie - he really thought about what to play on each song and he adds something new on almost each song. It's fantastic, in my opinion and saves the whole sound.

Date: April 3, 2008 22:41

lorenz i know what you mean by the let down aspects of keith playing nowadays but to be honest i have had a good time listening to the "his channel" in my earphones these days. Listen to Shattered and what he does in the middle. or his licks on the ballads. On TD imho he does his best. Some soloes he seems to be going nowehere and go back to the berryesque but in this whole album i think he delivers. Over all I think he plays for the team and that is good keith.

Date: April 3, 2008 22:48

maumau
lorenz i know what you mean by the let down aspects of keith playing nowadays but to be honest i have had a good time listening to the "his channel" in my earphones these days. Listen to Shattered and what he does in the middle. or his licks on the ballads. On TD imho he does his best. Some soloes he seems to be going nowehere and go back to the berryesque but in this whole album i think he delivers. Over all I think he plays for the team and that is good keith.

remember one of the last scenes in the movie....after last note of last song (i think),
Keith is on his knees...holding his guitar with his eyes closed...and i think he
kissed the neck of the guitar before standing up and smiling. To me he was
thanking his guitar for not letting him down...and pleased with his own performance.
A nice moment to catch on film.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 3, 2008 22:53

Yeah, he does play some nice guitar on As Tears Go By and perhaps also Shattered (gotta take a close listen). But those solos! I mean, he all ends them on the same note, that "whining note"! Anyway, I still enjoy the CDs, don't get me wrong. But this is also not a question of his age or what - he just has to end the solos on a different note and it would be completely ok.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 3, 2008 23:06

... One thing: Blondie's not listed as playing guitar. Do they show him playing in the movie?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 3, 2008 23:09

oldkr

OLDKR

Please define what you think is wrong with JJF...

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 3, 2008 23:18

I wonder just exactly what do Mick and Keith do to Christina Aguilera to make her squeal all those times in Live with Me?

Date: April 3, 2008 23:25

jamesfdouglas
... One thing: Blondie's not listed as playing guitar. Do they show him playing in the movie?

i remember seeing him the background w/guitar...i think mick introduced (he intro'd everybody).

Date: April 3, 2008 23:53

Baboon Bro
oldkr

OLDKR

Please define what you think is wrong with JJF...

i'll let you start by defining what you think is right with it!

OLDKR

Date: April 3, 2008 23:56

I will. Give me ten.

Date: April 4, 2008 00:12

On JJF greatness at SAL, to Oldkr.... smiling smiley

I have a theory many of ya collector people have worn out
the ultimate warhorses like JJF, some of ya cant really hear it anymore.

Right now I listen in my crappy crappy headphones..
Have listened to it all along the day in my mp3,
together with about the half of the tracks from SAL cd.

Intro is perfect, fat, greasy, steamy, stumpy & not too un-funky
Ronnie is on the go... Keef is heavy, rolls & secure.
Jagger is cool, cocky & creamy. Charlie elegant as always,
yet precious & hit the skins like a poundin' pugilist.

Around 3:00... Our guitarists makes a steamrollin' weavin' thang
which is roost & garage-y...

For a starter.. I will fill in more later...

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: April 4, 2008 00:13

Where is the bass (sound)? It's as thin as hell this sound/mix.
I like the guitars but their ain't no dynamics! It's a superficially sound.

This release sounds nothing more than their best sounding bootleg!
For official release one might expect more!

No real complaints on the songs (well, some warhorses they should skip) just really don't like the sound, which is important to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-04 00:16 by Muddyw.

Date: April 4, 2008 00:21

micks comical voice and ronnie's strangled cat electric sitar didn't interfere any for you?

I was at the show it sounded far more mangled than it does on tape. The sound was far more rich live though-obviously!

I don't want to get into a pissing match, I made a statement of opinion, I respect the difference of opinion each listener might have.

I'm just amazed how anyone could laude this album in anyway.

OLDKR

Date: April 4, 2008 00:29

No pissin' match here either... We respect each others
opinions here, of course.

For me tha amazin' feelin' comedf from the fact Ol' Flash seems so have
lost in rang dramtically lately. Lorenz also complained over Jagger's voice there... But I just dont hear it.

In the title track, thou, his voice bugs me a lot.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 4, 2008 00:33

.......well I wasn't at the show and it sounds tinny to me. Chuck so high in the mix sort of jumps at me.

I'm anxious to see the film; interviews and reviews seem to focus on Mick's performance and the general high energy........so I'll wait till I see the film...but the CD of that night so far with a couple of exceptions doesn't thrill me.

Date: April 4, 2008 00:36

great bro
that's some cool notes on your listening
thanks
also because that shows some respect for us swine...er people round here
but hey we have to uderstand that Truth must not be unravelled for us modest people
maybe someday some of these wits will enlighten us and we'll be free at last from our ignorance

what i expecially love of TD is the solid riffing of our man perfect in his role of rhythm guitar in this case.
Also I think he is great in his "usual" type of solo at the end of imagination. It is not inventive but nontheless it takes the song to a different level of intensity. Nuch like the last solo on SWH.

the more I listen to ATGB the less i like it instead. It's kind of phoned in to me. Licks are nice but they lean too much on the fake orchestral carpet of chuck. It is a use of the keyboards which I hate. They use also on Angie. It gives a fake body to the sound.

Perfect is also the BS riff, which we kno he can fu++ up pretty much winking smiley

Of the so called warhorses only satisfaction seems to me a little over the edge of the "garagey" sound. It seems quite deliberate. Still i would prefer a little bit more of "form"...

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1725
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home