Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 374
Re: Some Kinda Stones Connections
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 29, 2010 04:13

I knows it's only rock&roll but I likes it ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 29, 2010 04:33

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-11-30 12:19 by Edith Grove.

Date: November 29, 2010 04:40

Chris Spedding ...... ..............Classic Rock December 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: November 30, 2010 06:41

Family Values -------------------- W Magazine December 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: November 30, 2010 12:19

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: December 1, 2010 00:55

Date: December 1, 2010 10:46

ARTS --- THE AUSTRALIAN ........................................1 December 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: December 1, 2010 23:45

Herald Sun -------------------------------------------------- 2 December 2010

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 2, 2010 00:23

Looks like he is wearing 2 tiesconfused smiley

Date: December 2, 2010 13:20

NEW release on Bear Family of all known remaining Billy Lee Riley outtakes for Sun Records .......

Cool to hear the first workings of Flying Saucer Rock & Roll
and I Want You in early December 1956 and then some two-weeks later
Jerry Lee Lewis joining the next session and knockin' 'em inta classic shape....

And Riley's blistering work overs of Billy "The Kid" Emerson's RED HOT .....

Extensive liner notes --- Rare Photos --- Detailed discography......Wonderful Stuff.......

Billy Riley - The Outtakes ------------------------ Bear Family BCD 17122 BR

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 4, 2010 07:55

Date: December 8, 2010 05:42

UNCUT TAKE 164 ------------------------------- January 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: December 8, 2010 08:09

TERRY REID ---- What Is And What Should Never Be by Mick Houghton --- UNCUT January 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: December 8, 2010 22:11

ROCKMAN

Date: December 8, 2010 22:59

UNCUT ---------------------------------------------------- January 2011

ROCKMAN

Date: December 9, 2010 04:59

Peter Asher Denies Responsibility for Beatles' Breakup at L.A. Show
Posted on Dec 8th 2010 4:00PM by Melinda Newman

Rebecca Sapp, WireImage

Rock 'n' roll could have looked very different if not for Peter Asher.

To be sure, there are the obvious roles the Grammy winner played in musical history: as part of British invasion duo Peter and Gordon, as the Apple A&R executive who signed and nurtured James Taylor and as producer of such acts as Linda Ronstadt (who he also managed), 10,000 Maniacs, Diana Ross, Cher, Neil Diamond and countless others.

But as he revealed in his multimedia show, 'Peter Asher: A Musical Memoir of the '60s and Beyond,' at Los Angeles' Grammy Museum on Tuesday night, some of his behind-the-scenes activities had just as great an impact.

Asher, who grew up a privileged child in London, met Paul McCartney through his younger sister Jane, who was dating the Beatle. McCartney would lodge at the Asher home in London when not on tour and even wrote Peter and Gordon's first hit, 'World Without Love.'

Peter and Gordon had success on both sides of the Atlantic, coming to America to appear on both 'The Ed Sullivan Show' and 'The Jackie Gleason Show.' "We'd never seen 'The Honeymooners' in London," said Asher, recalling that Gleason struck him as "this drunken a-----e being obnoxious to everyone. I later saw 'The Honeymooners' and realized he was a genius."

Asher expanded into other ventures as Peter and Gordon's light started to dim, including partnering with Barry Miles and John Dunbar in a London art gallery and a book shop. The Indica Gallery decided to support a young artist named Yoko Ono by putting on an exhibit, attended by none other than John Lennon, who met Ono and was smitten. "According to some pessimistic Beatles fans, I'm responsible for the breakup of the Beatles," Asher said. He comes down squarely on Team Yoko, discarding the persistent belief by some that she caused Lennon to leave the group. "I don't believe that,' he said. "He was so happy with her. They were incredibly in love."

But, he admits, just as he was responsible for leading one couple to marriage, he helped lead to another to split. The best man at partner Dunbar's wedding to Marianne Faithfull, Asher invited the husband and wife to a party for the Rolling Stones, thrown by their manager Andrew Loog Oldham. Oldham heard Faithfull sing at the party and, on the spot, decided to sign her. He later introduced her to Mick Jagger and Dunbar found himself a single man as Faithfull ran off with the Rolling Stones frontman. "I'm the full-service best man from hell," Asher joked.

Asher, who interspersed his stories with performances of songs by Peter and Gordon, said he is frequently asked if he knew he was witness to many pivotal moments in rock history. His answer is always no, aside from one notable exception when he knew he was in the exactly right place at the exactly right time.

"Paul and I were sharing the top floor at [Asher's parents' house on] Wimpole St. There was a basement music room Paul would use to write in. There was a black upright piano in there," Asher recalled. "One particular afternoon, John came over. They were down there for about an hour and a half. They called me down and asked if I wanted to hear what they'd written. They sat side by side on the piano [and played me] a very early version of 'I Want to Hold Your Hand.' I felt it was a great artistic moment."

Asher tells Spinner that he would love to take the show on the road. In the meantime, he's busy recording a tribute to Buddy Holly, whose music Gordon Waller introduced him to all those years ago. Guests on the album include Stevie Nicks, Lyle Lovett, the Fray and Cobra Starship. Asher didn't have to go far to find Cobra Starship -- his daughter Victoria is the band's keytarist.

Peter and Gordon Perform 'World Without Love'

[www.spinner.com]

Date: December 9, 2010 11:22

RHYTHMS ----------------------- December 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: December 11, 2010 00:01

... BOOKS Weekend Australian -----------------------------11-12 December 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: December 12, 2010 06:27

ROCKMAN

Date: December 12, 2010 08:41

THE ROLLING STONES --- THINK YOU LIKE IT (Undercover Outtakes) --- DAC-109

ROCKMAN

Date: December 16, 2010 08:50

THE PLAYLIST ISSUE - ROLLING STONE RS1119 ------------ 9 December 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: December 16, 2010 09:36

THE PLAYLIST ISSUE - ROLLING STONE RS1119 ------------ 9 December 2010

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 16, 2010 21:05

Exclusive: Former Stones, Dylan Superfan Pamela Des Barres on 'Greatest Groupies'
Des Barres says, 'Renee Zellweger, Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, especially Winona Ryder — they're all groupies because they love musicians'
Michael Ochs Archives/Getty
By Patrick Doyle
December 15, 2010 1:40 PM EDT

In the Sixties and early Seventies, Pamela Des Barres was known as "Miss Pamela," a scene girl who later claimed to have had intimate relationships with Mick Jagger, Keith Moon, Jimmy Page and Jim Morrison — stories chronicled in her 1987 tell-all I'm With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie. Barres, 62, who still lives in California, stars in the new VH1 documentary Let's Spend the Night Together: Confessions of Rock's Greatest Groupies (adapted from her 2007 book Let's Spend the Night Together: Backstage Secrets of Rock Muses and Supergroupies), which follows Des Barres on a cross-country road trip sharing stories with other former groupies. It premieres tonight at 8:30 p.m. ET.

Are there any rock gods today?
Isn't that funny? The guys making the most money are over 60! Paul McCartney, The Stones, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, Leonard Cohen, Dylan. Can you tell me of a Mick Jagger today? Are there any rock gods of that level? I take that back. Jack White is a rock god. Jack has actually risen to that occasion in the hearts and minds of millions of people. He is a certified rock god in my opinion.

Why'd you make this documentary?
People are still fascinated with that era. All of the girls in the documentary are "classic groupies" from the Sixties and early Seventies. Tura Santana — she was with Elvis way before the word "groupie" existed. There are always gonna be groupies. I remember when I first heard that word. It was, you know, "Wow, someone called me something. I have a term. There's a term for what I'm doing." And it quickly became a jeer because it's a misunderstood concept.

How is it misunderstood?
Because the girls are viewed as basically sluts — one-hour stands down on their knees in a bus. They're just girls, mainly who just want to be near the music. We wanted to be around The Who and The Kinks and The Doors and The Byrds and Love and Buffalo Springfield and Zeppelin. We wanted to be a part of this incredible musical brilliance that was lighting up the world. It's really all about love, you know. People would say, "Why did you want to meet these guys?" Why not? Why not? Why not want to be a part of something so important?

When did you first start seeing lots of live shows?
I saw Dylan in '65 at the Santa Monica Civic and I just walked out in front. In those days, I was the only person walking down to the front. And I leaned up against the stage and watched the show gazing up at him you know, from one foot away. I just decided to do those kind of those things. The Stones in '65, Victor and I went, and Don [Van Vliet, Captain Beefheart] actually went to the Ambassador Hotel so I could meet them. You know, Don already knew Charlie and Bill, so we were in Charlie and Bill's room listening to jazz and blues. No one would have believed us in high school the next day. I knocked on Mick's door and he opened the door naked just to scare a little fan, and it worked. Instead of running into the room, I ran in the other direction. I was just too young to know what to do at that point, but I knew what I wanted to do.

Did AIDS kill the groupie scene?
No. It was the same exact time John Lennon got killed. Everyone got tons of security after that. The whole attitude in the rock world changed to, "someone who has asked for our autograph would come back later and kill us." Those two things contributed to closed backstage doors. That's right around the time a lot of rock guys started getting involved with peers, other female musicians, models, actresses. Now, a lot of the groupies would just die to be called a groupie. Renee Zellweger, Nicole Kidman, Gwyneth Paltrow, especially Winona Ryder. They're all groupies because they love musicians, all these women love musicians.

What strategies you'd recommend for girls who hope to get backstage now?
I'm asked that probably every day. You have to either start with a local band — someone's music you love that you can meet easily in the bar after the show — or you become a journalist, photographer, even blogger. Sometimes blogs can become so successful that you can actually do interviews with people. And, you know, there are many ways in the business side to meet them. You know, it's changing again, still. I mean it keeps changing, but that's the way nowadays. Or of course, play music yourself and open for them.

It was reported earlier this year that there's going to be an HBO series about you. Is that still happening?
It's gonna happen. It's just taking longer than we hoped. I've been trying to get I'm With the Band on the screen for 25 years. It's set in Laurel Canyon and the Sunset Strip in the late '60s. Zooey Deschanel is set to play me. We're meeting with [the writer] Jill Soloway next week again to, you know, tell her all kinds of stories and give her the vibe and the juice. You know, she wants to make it as authentic as possible.

Date: December 17, 2010 00:39

ROLLING STONE RS1119 ------------ 9 December 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: December 18, 2010 12:17

Fred McDowell circa 1960 -------------------------------------- Alan Lomax

ROCKMAN

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: December 18, 2010 20:03

Rockman

Herald Sun -------------------------------------------------- 2 December 2010

Could have been Mick, but sad that he wasn't willing to pay the price for her, which is simply faithfulness. But in Plundered My Soul, he sounds like he's doing okay anyway since he still has his benefits that he can't live without. It's just a matter of choice and priorities--relationships or your todger. If your still living on the lower animal plane, rather than the higher spiritual plane, you've got to go with the todger. Sorry that Mick and Jerry couldn't work it out for the sake of the family and the mutual love they still have for one another. Hope Jerry finds happiness in a faithful man, and remains faithful to him, as well. I think she deserves to be happy.

Date: December 19, 2010 11:06

The AGE ---------------------------------------------------- 19 December 2010

ROCKMAN

Date: December 21, 2010 13:32

Andrew Loog Oldham -- Chess Studios Chicago June 1964 --------------- Bob Bonis

ROCKMAN

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: December 24, 2010 19:51

yea'..MERRY CHRISTMAS..Rockman...colonialNZ

Date: December 26, 2010 01:59

Ahh thank ya colonial .... Here's prayin' you had a grooooove-out
day on the 25th and all the best for that approaching year of 2011 .........

TAKE CARE

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 374

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home