Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Where's that joint? - The Satanic Sessions HQ
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 23, 2011 02:45

Thanks Rootsman! Didn't know that before! thumbs up

It's the November 1967 Beat Instrumental.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 8, 2011 02:05

Rockman

I forgot that the A-side was credited as a Wyman solo single (3 years before Jagger's Memo From Turner!).

Posted by: Ayler ()
Date: January 25, 2016 23:32

His Majesty
Mathijs

Concerning Gomper: judging on the outtakes Brian only plays the vox Bijou (electric dulcimer). The version on this outtakes set is the basic track for the released version, and only percussion and vocals seemed to be added.

Concerning The Lantern: all brass is from the mellotron, I do not believe Brian actually played sax.

On Gomper, it'll be Charlie on tabalas during the basic takes. Brian must have overdubbed recorder, and Keith doubles the bassline with an electric guitar overdub.

I'm listening to "Gomper (Take 1) from Satanic Sessions Box 2 CD1.

Am I the only one who hear another instrument at 1:50 ? Sounds like an electrified indian instrument.
Played by who ???

Date: January 26, 2016 02:25

Ayler

I'm listening to "Gomper (Take 1) from Satanic Sessions Box 2 CD1.

Am I the only one who hear another instrument at 1:50 ? Sounds like an electrified indian instrument.
Played by who ???

I think you may be hearing Bill freaking out on his fretless bass. Kinda rubbery, elastic sound?

Date: January 26, 2016 10:08

I don't think so. I hear that part on "Gomper part 1 (Take 2)" too, after 4 minutes, til the end, with Bill Wyman still playing bass. A very indian-like instrument.
It's the take we can hear it longer.
It seems to be recorded on the same track as Keith Richards (on the right). At one moment Keith stop playing, and then near 5:30, Keith make arpegios (with a clearer sound than the solo instrument, which is a bit distorded).
The bass is mixed in the center.
I don't hear at all this instrument in the singing part.,

By the way, His Majesty, thanks a lot for your comments, so interesting on who plays what.

Date: January 26, 2016 14:21

You're not just hearing Brians electric dulcimer?

I recall coming to a conclusion that Mick joins in on slide on the freak outs as well as another slide instrument does appear.

The only indian instrument is the tablas.

Date: January 26, 2016 14:24

His Majesty
You're not just hearing Brians electric dulcimer?

I recall coming to a conclusion that Mick joins in on slide on the freak outs as well as another slide instrument does appear.

The only indian instrument is the tablas.

Must be echo of the dulcimer, surely?

Date: January 26, 2016 14:48

DandelionPowderman

Nope.

Date: January 26, 2016 14:59

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Nope.

Which Gomper are we talking about here? The 8:56 version?

Could it be one of those morroccan instruments with round necks? The sliding sounds sound similar, imo.

Will post the track soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-26 15:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 26, 2016 15:43

Here's Gomper - part one, take two. Nearly 9 minutes of exploration and brilliance. I'd say that the instrument, slightly in the right channel is an african string instrument.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 26, 2016 17:01

It's an electric instrument, just sounds like a guitar with slide played (intentionally) badly to me.

Date: January 26, 2016 17:14

It's not badly played IMHO. There's an indian feeling caused by many embellishments. At that time, Mick Jagger couldn't play at all those licks.
It' quite hard to identify on which string instrument it's played.

Date: January 26, 2016 17:19

There is bending as well, so I doubt it's a slide. With those fretless african instruments you can do both. I'd a say it's a miked up ethnic instrument with some effects.

However, it's very hard to tell precisely what it is. Sounds good, though, and it might be the finest vibrato on a Stones track ever grinning smiley

Date: January 26, 2016 17:20

confused smiley It's random messing about with a slide.

Date: January 26, 2016 17:25

His Majesty

I don't know why you're hearing a slide between 6:20 and 7:00.

Random messing? Indeed. Slide? No.

Date: January 26, 2016 18:10

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Er, yes, slide.

Quick picking, moving slide about.

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: January 27, 2016 05:10

His Majesty, I am having trouble figuring out how to access these files. Any simple link (even simpler than the one I am sure you are calling "simple enough already" when you read this request)grinning smiley

Date: March 16, 2016 20:22

Coming back to this...

In an early 1967 Beat Instrumental, I recall reading that Brian and Keith went to Vox and received various effects and instruments... Perhaps this is one of those instruments. A Vox interpretation of a moroccan instrument?

I still think it's guitar, but what ever it is, it is being played after the song section along with Keith on 12 string guitar, Brian on Vox Bijou (electric dulcimer), Nicky on organ, Bill on bass, Charlie on tablas on the live as it happened takes.

My assumption is that Mick joins in the freakyness on what ever this instrument is... it could be a friend of the band of course, like Macca playing percussion on all of the She's A Rainbow takes.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 16, 2016 21:04

HM! Wonderful to see your typeface! xox :E xox

Date: March 16, 2016 21:16

grinning smiley

Date: March 29, 2016 10:22

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Er, yes, slide.

R u two talking about the same instrument? There is clearly some exp. fast picking with a slide on one side, but on other side another (I think) guitar starts with a pattern thru a fast vibrato f/x

Actually I was searching for a thread 'Satanic Sessions" to see if there was info on a Vol 3; which I just found out about in another thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 10:24 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: March 29, 2016 11:01

Palace Revolution 2000
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Er, yes, slide.

R u two talking about the same instrument? There is clearly some exp. fast picking with a slide on one side, but on other side another (I think) guitar starts with a pattern thru a fast vibrato f/x

Actually I was searching for a thread 'Satanic Sessions" to see if there was info on a Vol 3; which I just found out about in another thread

No, we're not smiling smiley

I was referring to the stuff that's going on in the other channel, which someone thought was some kind of indian string instrument. I don't hear two slides on this one. Might be an effect, as you're suggesting. A weird one, though.

I reckon you know about the Satanic Sessions that HM is talking about (as there are other boots also called Satanic Sessions)? Hours and hours of beautiful exploring of music – eventually leading to TSMR.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 23:07

true

Date: March 30, 2016 14:23

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Er, yes, slide.

I was referring to the stuff that's going on in the other channel, which someone thought was some kind of indian string instrument. I don't hear two slides on this one. Might be an effect, as you're suggesting. A weird one, though.

I reckon you know about the Satanic Sessions that HM is talking about (as there are other boots also called Satanic Sessions)? Hours and hours of beautiful exploring of music – eventually leading to TSMR.

Yes DP, I have had the two Box sets for ages. Both with material worthy of 4 CDs. But I just saw (on another site) that there is a THIRD Box Set of another 4 discs. the original boxes were red and blue; this one is purple. That would be, going by the older packaging which were actual discs in actual boxes. I see a lot of work on "On with SHow", "Gold Painted Nails" and "Citadel".

Date: March 30, 2016 14:34

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

Er, yes, slide.

Yes DP, I have had the two Box sets for ages. Both with material worthy of 4 CDs. But I just saw (on another site) that there is a THIRD Box Set of another 4 discs. the original boxes were red and blue; this one is purple. That would be, going by the older packaging which were actual discs in actual boxes. I see a lot of work on "On with SHow", "Gold Painted Nails" and "Citadel".

I only have it digitally, and I don't know the amount of boxes/the design, but what I have is music worth 8 hours and 16 minutes (131 songs). The last song is We Love You, if that helps.

Date: March 30, 2016 14:50

Yes, this is one that I see I actually still have as CDs. I should update this; I think you have close to the 3 box sets worth.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 30, 2016 15:04

Three box sets listed here: [www.willardswormholes.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 30, 2016 18:01

Deltics
Three box sets listed here: [www.willardswormholes.com]

Exactly; that is where I read about the 3rd box two days ago

Date: March 31, 2016 01:43

The 3rd box is a load of crap, fake mixes etc, repeats of stuff from boxes 1 and 2.

The best ones to have are the Midnight Beat box sets. Tall, red and blue.

thumbs up

Date: March 31, 2016 20:16

His Majesty
The 3rd box is a load of crap, fake mixes etc, repeats of stuff from boxes 1 and 2.

The best ones to have are the Midnight Beat box sets. Tall, red and blue.

thumbs up

Thank You Phil; really. Studio Outtakes are by far the boots I am most interested in. And I was just going to start looking for Box 3.
btw - is that you in a youtube clip doing 'Lady Jane'?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home