Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10
Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd Blew The Stones Away?
Date: March 24, 2007 19:03

NumberOneStonesFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tjkeef Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Iremember reading some reviews saying Lynyrd
> > Skynyrd blew the stones away at Knebsworth
> anybody
> > else read anything like that?
>
>
> I once read or heard of a time where Skynyrd
> apparently opened up for The Who when Skynyrd was
> a new band and The Who were in their prime and
> Skynyrd upstaged the Who. The audience was more
> receptive anyway... never heard about that sort of
> thing with the Stones.

Indeed, The Who fans were more receptive and didn t boo them off the stage. They didn t upstage The Who though. They opened for the Stones at Knebworth. Did u read page one kemo sabe?

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: March 24, 2007 19:06

... lets change the subject here folks, , ,

i recall something in the seventies where the stones dropped the
airplane/starship from playing with them cause they out played the stones so badly in florida or somewhere back there..???

Date: March 24, 2007 19:12

soundcheck Wrote:
> ... lets change the subject here folks, , ,
>
> i recall something in the seventies where the
> stones dropped the
> airplane/starship from playing with them cause
> they out played the stones so badly in florida or
> somewhere back there..???

LOFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 24, 2007 19:16

guys, guys.....we've all made our points.....I Wish I Never Met You thanks for your conciliatory comment about going "a little too far." Now let's all party....after all it is Saturday........Tumbling Dice, it's always nice to know a Southern brother.

As for the rebel flag, I don't own one, I don't wave one, but it's part of my heritage so I don't dis' it. And in fairness to I Wish there are lots of idiots who do wave that flag......

in the sake of fun my signature will soon change back to Curly

Posted by: tarmon ()
Date: March 24, 2007 19:30

Back to Knebworth, I was there and yes LS were very very good but the problem was 10cc. The day had already been long and they took bloody ages well over an hour, possibly two to get set up. In fact I think they were close to being told 'that's it b*gger off'. They were then their usual crap self and certainly not the right type of band to precede the Stones. As a result, both the crowd Mick and Keith were thoroughly stoned and pissed off by the time they got on stage, but as usual they made you glad you had a ticket.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 24, 2007 19:34

Good posts, E-duane and Lukester. My first show ever was the ABB in 1975 in Macon. I'm less than an hour away from there.

Saw Skynyrd a few weeks later with just two guitarist as Ed had left. Saw them again in Summer 76 right after Steve Gaines had joined. They were one hot live act.

Hard to say what would have happened with LS had the plane not crashed. Street Survivors showed a lot of musical growth - Steve Gaines was gonna be a major force. Hard to believe that an act with an established lead singer (as RVZ was) would let a new band member sing two songs on his debut! This woulda been like Ronnie singing a couple of songs on B & B.

Anyway, I love Skynyrd, A-Bros, and Stones, although I'm kinda burnt out on the warhorses of all 3.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 25, 2007 03:20

"The hick reference doesn't bother me as bad as the inbred reference. That crossed the line. You wouldn't say such negative things about black people or jewish people or Muslims and would probably think anybody that did was a rascist and a biggot. So what are you? Negatively stereotyping southern people as "inbreds". Talk about a biggot."

he didnt call southern people "inbreds". he called LS "inbreds". they were indeed a racist group of rednecks who played some pretty good music to get drunk to. im a southerner and in no way am i offended by the statement. i am offended by the confederate flag, which stands for a government and economy based on slavery and true biggotry. by the way..southern isnt a race. enough from me-im off to the varsity. peace out.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 25, 2007 03:31

StonesTod Wrote:
> nice post, Duane. Wow - the hendrix and miles
> covers sound cool! i just wish the boys would
> finally get their arses back here to the left
> coast - been too long!

Tod. Saw Greg Allman solo in San Francisco last Nov. Great show. But I agree it would be nice to have the band come back to the bay area. I remember a few years back they did a long run od shows at the Warfield. I wish they would do that again.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 25, 2007 03:37

I've read interviews with LS band members -- they did not seem racist in any way.

The Confederate flag, hmmm, I can see why some view it like a Nazi flag, and it has been used by bigots just like that.

I can see why some from the Old South revere it without being simultaneously rascist.

A tough call.

the LS interviews I've read made it clear that their use of that flag was not intended as a racist act.

I can't judge Knebworth, but LS had a consistently strong guitar section;et.al..

Date: March 25, 2007 03:48

Most folks down my way are proud of the Confederate flag as a pride thing, not a racial thing in any way. Aren't you proud of your part of the world?

Yes, slavery and all of its effects are a sad, horrible reflection on our area, but most southern people are as enlightened as folks elsewhere.

LS never gave off a racist vibe to me - the opposite in fact - check the lyrics to many of their songs. Honest, decent, albeit country folks were what they were about, not racism.

Regarding the interbreeding comment, me and my cousin/sister/wife don't really dig that! winking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-25 03:49 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 25, 2007 03:55

The Confederate flag is a cultural expression. You can agree with it or you can disagree with it....I wouldn't be caught dead with one. But I'll be damned if I'm going to resort to name calling when people display their version of Southern heritage. What happened to be "open minded?"

Date: March 25, 2007 03:57

Good call, Shawn.

I don't have any flying at my house as not to offend black friends who come over - although most black and white don't notice/give a damn.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: March 25, 2007 03:58

Yeah Elmo. I think you and Lukester both did a good job explaining the whole rebel flag thing. Indeed, everyone should be proud of where they live. Where they come from and their heritage.
As for Skynyrd. They definitly played up the southern heritage thing. But that was part of thier act. Just some good ole boys. Ronnie Van Zandt was no dummy. Street Survivors was a really good record. I love listening to Steve Gaines song:Ain't No Good Life - "I need a lover,not a buddy. I don't need nobody"

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 25, 2007 04:01

Think I may have mentioned some of the following in previous mentions of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I was a close friend of the band, and I recall Ronnie Van Zant and Allen Collins phoning me from England after Knebworth. It was one of the great experiences of their lives and several years after the plane crash when Allen would talk about how much it had meant to them to play with the Stones, he completely relived it for me. Thank God, he and Ronnie had this vivid exciting memory. Knebworth was very special to them.

Skynyrd ALWAYS wanted to make it difficult for another band to follow them which is why and how they came up with Free Bird. Eventually, they somewhat tired of it and had a couple of other songs they were working on to give Free Bird a break and still make it tough for any other band to follow them.

HOWEVER, they looked up to the Stones and really didn't totally have in mind to "blow them off the stage." They felt honored to be on the same bill. To them, the Stones were LEGENDS. Mick and Keith especially were so complimentary and kind to the band after their set and this THRILLED the entire band.

Skynyrd had worked incredibly hard to get this far, and playing before the Stones and having Mick and Keith visit the dressing room was a Big Reward.

Skynyrd never said "We blew the Stones away" but they were definitely proud of their performance at Knebworth.

As for any of the posters who knock Skynyrd, I can only assume you never saw the original band.

The touring band of today bears little resemblance to what they were with Ronnie Van Zant.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-25 04:57 by stonesrule.

Date: March 25, 2007 04:58

Post of the year, stonesrule. Thanks! R U forn J'ville?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: March 25, 2007 05:44

Slickers steal my money, since i was 17
If it ain't no pencil pusher then it got to be a honky tonk queen
But i signed my contract, baby, and i want you people to know
that every penny that i make i gotta see where my money goes

Date: March 25, 2007 06:00

I'm just workin for MCA

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 25, 2007 06:07

I Wish I Never Met You Wrote:
> You have them raised on public buildings. I know
> for sure Atlanta does.

Did you read what I said? Apparently now. I said I.....as in ME, MYSELF......I do not own a confederate flag. So I have not raised anything on public buildings. And I don't live in Atlanta. Whether any government raises that flag or not, it's not my choice. So don't judge me. You don't know me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-25 06:19 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Date: March 25, 2007 06:16

coocooforcoconuts Wrote:

>
> he didnt call southern people "inbreds". he called
> LS "inbreds". they were indeed a racist group of
> rednecks who played some pretty good music to get
> drunk to.

I don't think Skynyrd were racist. Why don't you tell me how you "indeed" know this? Do you have proof?

>im a southerner and in no way am i
> offended by the statement. i am offended by the
> confederate flag, which stands for a government
> and economy based on slavery and true biggotry. by
> the way..southern isnt a race.

Southern isn't a race, and I never said it was, but being biased against Southerners is still biggotry. And I know he said Skynyrd were "inbred hicks" but he's expressing a negative stereotype about southern people.

Date: March 25, 2007 07:27

Thanks Elmo.

Today listening to the car radio in Los Angeles, at two separate times on two different stations, they played "Shattered" and then a Skynyrd song. I thought how proud the original Skynyrd would be about that.

No, I'm not from Jacksonville, although I certainly spent a lot of time there and in Atlanta, where I put together the original LS debut party at Richard's rock club, quite the hot spot in the 1970s. I worked for Elton John and Rocket Records then, and Skynyrd were a sort of charity project of mine because I believed in their music and them and they needed help. Elton and Skynyrd were both on the rather lame MCA Records, where I had some clout. They were practically starving in the early days, very proud and uncomplaining. The minute I heard the rough mixes when they were making the first album, I knew what they could be, and I wanted them to get there. And they did.

Re The Who tour, Skynyrd never blew them off the stage. They had fifteen minutes to open, then twenty then twenty-five. The Who didn't want to be bothered with them at first and neither did their bloody roadies. But eventually The Who came to respect and enjoy (as people) Skynyrd, who were barely in their twenties then.

Most good musicians respect the original band, both musically and lyrically; it was nice to see some of their lyrics quoted in this thread.

The Confederate flag was a symbol of old Dixie and LS loved the South; it was their home. They did not use the flag as a racist statement. Those ideas came a little later in American consciousness. And as the band traveled throughout America and Europe the flag was more a symbol of home, a bold one to be sure. These musicians were decent and good human beings. And Ronnie Van Zant is and will increasingly be considered one of America's great poets. Most of his songs are about the common man and the working class. For four fleeting years they were one of the most exciting rock and roll bands.

The plane crash was a needless tragedy, thanks to Peter Rudge.

So, let's get back to the Rolling Stones. I am quite sure this summer is going to bring some of their best shows in a very long time.

Date: March 25, 2007 07:41

Very good knowledge and experience there stonesrule. Very well expressed. I have always been a big Skynyrd fan. I don't even think that the current version with Johnny Van Zandt isn't that bad. Gary Rossington is still a good musician and fuels what's left of that band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-25 08:44 by sweetcharmedlife.

Date: March 25, 2007 15:28

nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-25 15:36 by coocooforcoconuts.

Posted by: Smalltowns ()
Date: March 25, 2007 16:03

wasn't knebworth the gig where they all were on acid?

Date: March 25, 2007 20:10

stonesrule Wrote:
>
> Today listening to the car radio in Los Angeles,
> at two separate times on two different stations,
> they played "Shattered" and then a Skynyrd song.
> I thought how proud the original Skynyrd would be
> about that.
>
> No, I'm not from Jacksonville, although I
> certainly spent a lot of time there and in
> Atlanta, where I put together the original LS
> debut party at Richard's rock club, quite the hot
> spot in the 1970s. I worked for Elton John and
> Rocket Records then, and Skynyrd were a sort of
> charity project of mine because I believed in
> their music and them and they needed help. Elton
> and Skynyrd were both on the rather lame MCA
> Records, where I had some clout. They were
> practically starving in the early days, very proud
> and uncomplaining. The minute I heard the rough
> mixes when they were making the first album, I
> knew what they could be, and I wanted them to get
> there. And they did.
>
> Re The Who tour, Skynyrd never blew them off the
> stage. They had fifteen minutes to open, then
> twenty then twenty-five. The Who didn't want to
> be bothered with them at first and neither did
> their bloody roadies. But eventually The Who came
> to respect and enjoy (as people) Skynyrd, who were
> barely in their twenties then.
>
> Most good musicians respect the original band,
> both musically and lyrically; it was nice to see
> some of their lyrics quoted in this thread.
>
> The Confederate flag was a symbol of old Dixie and
> LS loved the South; it was their home. They did
> not use the flag as a racist statement. Those
> ideas came a little later in American
> consciousness. And as the band traveled
> throughout America and Europe the flag was more a
> symbol of home, a bold one to be sure. These
> musicians were decent and good human beings. And
> Ronnie Van Zant is and will increasingly be
> considered one of America's great poets. Most of
> his songs are about the common man and the working
> class. For four fleeting years they were one of
> the most exciting rock and roll bands.
>
> The plane crash was a needless tragedy, thanks to
> Peter Rudge.
>
> So, let's get back to the Rolling Stones. I am
> quite sure this summer is going to bring some of
> their best shows in a very long time.

Nice post stonesrule. Did you know Al Kooper as well? I know Kooper was involved in putting together the party at Richards (or at least that's what alot of literature about the band says). About the plane, I've read that Aerosmith nearly leased (or bought or rented or whatever) that plane but somebody in their organization deemed it unsafe. It crashed a couple of years later with Skynyrd on board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-25 20:13 by Tumblin_Dice_07.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 25, 2007 20:26

Smalltowns Wrote:
> wasn't knebworth the gig where they all were on
> acid?

I think what your thinking of is Buffalo '75. & I dont know if theres truth to that. if they were on acid or not. The source I read that from was "Old Gods Almost Dead" so I mean, really...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-25 20:29 by ryanpow.

Date: March 25, 2007 20:32

Yes, of course, I knew Kooper. To be truthful as opposed to immodest, wI masterminded the launch of Skynyrd. Al was turning out to be that "yankee slicker," and I was SO disillusioned. It didn't really bother me he was so much of a credit taker. I was DRIVEN to make that band happen. I've always liked challenges and there was simply no doubt in my mind that LS had IT.

Re the plane, yes the Aerosmith story is true. Their managers cared more about them that that damned Rudge did about Skynyrd's safety. His behaviour at the hospital after the crash was despicable; he couldn't wait to get out of Mississippi, far from potential legal subpoenas and sobbing parents. It was SO hard for me there. I'd flown over to Mississippi as soon as I got the news. Allen was amazing, broken to bits and such a fighter. Gary was unconscious for many hours. I was put in the terrible role of having to confirm to them that Ronnie was really dead.

Ironically, Ronnie had told me six weeks before the tour he was "worried about the plane." Told me never to take that plane.

Can't believe I'm posting all this. I seldom talk about it I still have vivid memories of the lead doctor (of many) going over the list of injuries and deaths with me the night of the crash on the phone. He sobbed when he told me about RVZ. Ronnie had more life in him than almost anyone I've ever known. Years after, there were moments when Allen would look at me, waiting for me to say "It was just a bad dream. It didn't happen." Then we would both say in unison, "UNBELIEVABLE."

I am VERY glad that the original band knew true success and glory before what some members of the band always referred to after the crash, as "the tragedy."

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 25, 2007 20:43

thanks stonesrule

Date: March 25, 2007 22:47

stonesrule, I have a friend - Reuben "Lounge Lizard" Morgan - who drove Al Kooper to Funocchio's to meet Skynyrd for the first time. In fact, he introduced them. He was living/working at the Bistro in Atlanta at that time. He is now the musical king of Daytona.

Check out his website. He relates this story as well as several others. Couple of nice pictures of Elmo on there too!

[www.tiptopwebsite.com]

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-03-25 22:49 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: March 25, 2007 23:01

stonesrule Wrote:

>
> I am VERY glad that the original band knew true
> success and glory before what some members of the
> band always referred to after the crash, as "the
> tragedy."

stonesrule......I don't wanna ask your name here but if you could shoot me an email I'd be thankful. My address is not hidden. I've probably read your name in literature about the band. If you don't want to reveal your identity I completely understand. I would have sent you an email myself but your address is hidden. I'm a big fan of the original band and especially of Allen Collins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2007 04:21

Couple of nice pictures of Elmo on there too!

Please Elmo....Which shots are you?

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 3 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home