Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Anita Pallenberg Appreciation Thread
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 17, 2007 18:55

Yeah, I'm just curious as to where the April 1969 date is coming from.

In one of the quotes about when they wrote in Italy, Keith mentions they visited the same place before.

Of course, they could have visited anywhere at anytime, so it's all a bit, erm, somefink... tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 17, 2007 19:02

>> but this isn't Marianne in the back?!?!?! <<

thanks for asking, JJHMick - i was havin doubts as well.
but i grant that it could be, and since CindyC is sure it's her, i believe her.

Date: January 17, 2007 19:04

>> so it's all a bit, erm, somefink <<

as so many finks are, in these areas of research!
maybe those are the Steps of Perception and they all came there from different years.
have some popcorn.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 17, 2007 19:06

Thanks WS for your confidence, except that makes me very nervous to be proven wrong now, GOD, I hope I'm right! haha

But I do think it's her. Besides her smile, I can't think of anyone else it could be. It's not her best look though, I have to say.

Date: January 17, 2007 19:15

Oh man, that is DEFINITELY Marianne! tongue sticking out smiley

Is there somefink in the air today?

Their look isn't too far of from this...

Keith has that cool little twsity thing on the top of his mop that seems particular to mid 68.

Maybe they nipped off for a few days to bonk and get a rest from Brian(not turning up!) hahaha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-17 19:16 by His Majesty.

Date: January 17, 2007 19:48

>> that is DEFINITELY Marianne! <<

cool! so that's settled. the poor thing looks rather unscintillating - maybe this was while she was pregnant?
the pregnancy that ended in miscarriage shortly before Rock & Roll Circus, i mean. i seem to recall
that she'd been unwell during the pregnancy and was ordered to stay in bed or something?
and spent a while convalescing in Ireland? Mick's private life isn't a research specialty of mine, though,
so in case that's all wrong, and/or true but irrelevant, i have my finger near the "edit post" button. :E

meanwhile i've found a photo of Mick in what looks like that same jacket,
but since his hair is way long in it and i don't have a definite date for it,
i don't think it does our investigation much good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-17 20:03 by with sssoul.

Date: January 17, 2007 19:51

Oops, this is supposed to be an Anita thread...

ah, post the Mick pic anyway! winking smiley

Date: January 17, 2007 20:08

>> ah, post the Mick pic anyway! <<

how about a link, just to keep it more discreet? [img.photobucket.com]
my theory is that that's from the 1969 sessions, especially because of the Maton; it might be by Eric Hayes.

apologies for the digression - it's part of the investigation of an Anita photo, though!

Date: January 17, 2007 20:36

Yeah me thinks 1969 for Mick with the Maton guitar. Also, Mick can be seen with the same shoes in 1968 on the set of Performance.

To keep things flowing in an Anita way, there are LOADS of great pics to be found here...

[www.thefashionspot.com]

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 17, 2007 20:37

To Cindy: But "Marianne's" hair is rather "black" in comparison to Anita's. They didn't differ that much, don't they? Isn't Marianne a natural blonde with much lighter hair than Mick?
What about the occasion that picture was taken (no hint whos's the photographer?!): I ask you as a woman, would you wear a hat like that if you're just out on a stroll to have some ice cream and wait till Vesuvio erupts again?
They must be going somewhere as that Anita in a bikini feeding Marlon photo was taken in a street cafe.
To withsssoul: Flicking through all (including the early ones) issues of the mentioned chroniclers I found that Midnight Rambler shifted from a Beggars' Banquet Outtake (we probably thought too long that Brian wasn't able to participate after Godard's filming and his low profile RnR Circus appearance)
to an early 1969 recording. Martin Elliott has it (in his last edition) explicitly that Monkey Man had that Positano working title and that it was written during a March 1969 trip.
Regarding that there is no necessity that we were right with April just because it was mentioned first. But that's, of course, all proof for your 69 in Italy thesis and not for my 71-thesis in France (I don't have that Tarle volume just know some photos...
To Sherlock Holmes: Mick's shoes and Anita's floral skirt might be somewhere on pictures - if we presume they wear it only during one season...

(By the way, Cindy, how did you make this?:
JJHMick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
but this isn't Marianne in the back?!?!?!
I wanted that to do that with your words but finally copied and inserted them.)

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 17, 2007 20:45

Hi JJHMick,

To quote someone else's message, at the bottom of the post you want to quote, there is an option to "Quote this Message", when you hit it, it brings the message into the bottom window where you type a new message. You can then edit out the parts of the other persons message to only quote what you want to reference.

As for Marianne, I agree, it's a weird look to just be out walking around, but they dressed pretty eccentrically back then all the time. It could be just the look she had going on at that particular time. As for her hair, it does look rather dark, but I think it is just the way the photo was taken, I think the hat made a shadow that darkened it.

Date: January 17, 2007 20:51

People tend to lump anything from 1968 as Beggars Banquet era material, but really, anything post the sunset Sound mixing sessions in July? 1968 is music made for their next album... There is no real evidence to show that Midnight Rambler appeared in any musical guise during the BB sessions.

Have Mick or Keith ever said a date when they wrote those two songs?

Date: January 17, 2007 21:32

Marianne with a similar big hat in 1968...

Date: January 17, 2007 23:09

JJHMick, i agree that it's not very clear when they went to Positano and wrote Rambler and Monkey Man
(Martin Elliot, like the site i quoted, is a great resource, but not error-free);
and in any case whenever it was, that trip may or may not have anything to do with the photo on the steps.

>> there is no necessity that we were right with April just because it was mentioned first <<

actually what i said is that the photo can't be from april 69 - that's definitely impossible.
i only mentioned april because HM mentioned Positano - if that's when they went there,
then that's not where that photo's from.

anyway! it really doesn't seem like either Brazil or the Nellcote era can be right either.
late 67 isn't a very highly photographed phase so i can't totally rule that out;
but all things considered i'm labelling the shot "probably mid-68" until further notice.
have some popcorn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-18 00:45 by with sssoul.

Posted by: gypsy ()
Date: January 17, 2007 23:30

Interesting discussion.
Anita would have been four or five months pregnant in April 1969.
I think that photo - of the four together - has got to be from the late 1968.

Date: January 17, 2007 23:37

gypsy Wrote:
> Interesting discussion.
> Anita would have been four or five months pregnant
> in April 1969.
> I think that photo - of the four together - has
> got to be from the late 1968.

Bear in mind that Mick's hair was performance-black and longer than it is in that photo, from September onwards right up till the r&r circus at the very least, Keith's hair was pretty crazy long by then as well.

Their image in that photo matches how they look in the One plus One film.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-17 23:39 by His Majesty.

Date: January 17, 2007 23:44

>> Anita would have been four or five months pregnant in April 1969. <<

indeed she was, among other reasons why that shot can't be from that late.
it's not from *very* late in 68, though - it seems like it must be pre-Performance:
Mick's hair looks its natural colour, no?

Date: January 18, 2007 00:37

It's been years since I've read Marianne's autobiography, but I think I'll skim through it later to see if I can't find anything mentioned that could help us figure out a date.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 18, 2007 00:54

Wow... Gypsy I hope you will stick around for A while and post some more of those pictures

Date: January 18, 2007 02:17

NICOS Wrote:
> Wow... Gypsy I hope you will stick around for A
> while and post some more of those pictures

Of course!
Hey, check your email, Nico.

1971:

-Photographer unknown

September 1967:

-Photo courtesy of Alamy Images

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 18, 2007 02:54

Count me in for mid '68. Another reason I think supports that is that Keith seems a lot more gaunt in the airport pics and in Circus - here, he looks almost exactly the same facially he does in One Plus One.

When was Marianne pregnant with Mick's baby - '68, right? Didn't she get into the third trimester before she miscarried? She has her arms folded across her stomach here. Read into that as you may...

Date: January 18, 2007 06:50

According to Bill's Stone Alone, they took a break from recording in during April/May 1968 Mick and Marianne went to Dublin, and Keith and Anita were in Rome, perhaps they hooked up at some point!

Just throwing up a possible time. smiling smiley

Date: January 18, 2007 07:25

Going with a snakeskin jacket theme, here are two from the premiere of "Gimme Shelter" at Cannes - May 21, 1971:

-Photo courtesy of AFP
Anita, Jake Weber, Marlon & Keith

-Photo courtesy of Corbis
Marlon, Anita, Keith & Jake Weber

Am I the only girl who thinks Keith looks really handsome in these photos?

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: January 18, 2007 08:09

Is that Spanish Tony (with the hat, over Keith's right shoulder) in the bottom pic?

Date: January 18, 2007 08:28

>> When was Marianne pregnant with Mick's baby - '68, right?
Didn't she get into the third trimester before she miscarried? <<

yeah, it was 68, and it was october or november when she had the miscarriage.
One Plus One/SFTD was shot in early june - she's not visibly pregnant in that, is she?
which of course doesn't mean she couldn't have had her hands folded protectively in april/may.

>> Am I the only girl who thinks Keith looks really handsome in these photos? <<

he can't help it. :E

Date: January 18, 2007 08:47

>> According to Bill's Stone Alone, they took a break from recording in during April/May 1968
Mick and Marianne went to Dublin, and Keith and Anita were in Rome, perhaps they hooked up at some point!
Just throwing up a possible time. <<

possible indeed! does he say anything about those four going anywhere in late 67?
i agree that the photo looks more like 68, but i'm trying to be disciplined in my research. :E

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: January 18, 2007 12:58

The photo of Keith and Anita credited as september 67 was most probably taken in Rome (Every picture tells a story)

Posted by: druwinters ()
Date: January 18, 2007 13:01

gypsy, do you have a bigger/ better quality version of these?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-01-18 17:48 by druwinters.

Date: January 18, 2007 15:21

with sssoul Wrote:

> possible indeed! does he say anything about those
> four going anywhere in late 67?
> i agree that the photo looks more like 68, but i'm
> trying to be disciplined in my research. :E

The whole band, save for Charlie, was abroad in various places for Christmas 1967 in to early 1968, Charlie stayed in England... bless. smiling smiley

Mick and Marianne were "abroad" according to the book, whilst Keith and Anita flew to Paris enroute to Tangier and Marakesh.

The book then says that later Keith flew to Paris and took an apartment there. Perhaps Anita returned to carry on working on Barbarella?

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 18, 2007 18:59

Back to the stair photo in a Mediteranean looking site which led me to Positano or the Exile era - the only times the couples were reportedly there in that presumed stage of the Stones.
But: It's most probably first half of 1968 as their hair cuts are rather moderate as in BB sessions photos. It's most probably that it's Marianne as it is a two couples photo and there is no other woman that comes close to her (haha). Though she looks like a "spinster" (phantastic expression!), as Cindy notes on the iorr-t-shirt thread .
Considering the pregnancies mentioned of Marianne (miscarriage 20 Nov 68 after 5 1/2 half months) and Anita it is not likely that it is 1969.
I found Mick's shoes! Back cover of "Stone Age" shows a group photo with Brian but with Mick (Performance style) and Keith (the wild one) in different hair styles. Unfortunately, I have no source when and by whom that photo session was done.
Regarding it is not Marianne and therefore a-no-two-couples-photo (maybe a "fiancee" the tabloids went unnoticed!!! - no, it's a joke) it might be in 1970. Mick and Keith had moderate hair cuts during the European tour and there is a photo of the passed out Keith on the floor with Anita crouching beneath him with similar hair and a similar mini skirt which must have been taken at that time and not in 1968. Probably Mick and Keith were looking for houses in the south of France before they went there in 1971.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1840
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home