Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Kenney Jones and The Who
Posted by: stonesriff ()
Date: August 3, 2006 05:21

Why doesnt The Who ask Kenney Jones to play with them. They didnt ask him back for the 89 Tour either. Does anyone know why?

"Is it any wonder that we fuss and fight"

Re: OT: Kenney Jones and The Who
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: August 3, 2006 05:31

Here's my opinion... Kenney Jones was very bland. Zak Starkey does a much nicer job on drums, as he was trained by Keith Moon himself! Kenney J had a massive kit for the stage show, but never did the KM material justice AT ALL... Listen to that '82 live stuff... KJ doesn't compare. ZS simply DOES.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 3, 2006 05:33

Daltrey didn't like him. Based on what I've read he was not treated well by that band.

Date: August 3, 2006 05:35

yes those are my feelings as well. Simon Phillips was used for the 89 tour. Why do you think they didnt invite him back? He played with Pete on some solo stuff as well.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: August 3, 2006 05:36

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 06:48 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: August 3, 2006 05:42

Starkey is a way better fit for them. Jones is a bum.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 3, 2006 05:44

"My version of torture is being tied up in a chair and Roger Daltrey singing for three hours." -- Keith Richards

Date: August 3, 2006 05:44

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 06:48 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 3, 2006 06:11

Jones was very tame and generic. His sound was soft and mellow.
A total contradiction for the Who. I saw them in '79, and it was a shame.
As someone mentioned above, Daltrey didn't like him. In a recent interview with Roger,
he called Kenny Jones a mistake that he regrets. It should have never happened.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: August 3, 2006 06:37

As stated above, Daltrey did not like Jones. Back in 1979, he did not want a new drummer to become a full member like Jones became (although I highly doubt he was a full member as far as financial rewards). He wanted their drummer to be just a hired hand. Perhaps he held this resentment towards Jones and that impacted how he felt about him.

I saw him with The Who in 1982 and thought he sounded fine. That was the only time I saw him with The Who compared to having seen Starkey 10 times with them,but I feel Zak is a great match for them and is well respected by Pete and Roger, as well as he was respected by John.

Posted by: RDNZL ()
Date: August 3, 2006 08:06

Zac can play the tight style of The Who. The Faces were one of the sloppiest bands ever. I like The Faces, however, their style fit his playing. Also, he was just another dude with The Faces. With The Who he had the daunting task of trying to replace one of rocks key personnas. As a Who fan, he was adequate, I neve saw him live. The addition of Zac reinvigorated the Who for the 6 yrs they played together before the Ox died. He is even a bigger part to the sound now since the key element to the bands sound(the bass) is no longer around. Can t wait for show in MSG, Pete still rules!!!!!!!Long live rock!!!!!!

Date: August 3, 2006 08:12

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-07 06:46 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 3, 2006 18:31

RDNZL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Zac can play the tight style of The Who. The Faces
> were one of the sloppiest bands ever.

the Who's style is tight? The Live at Leeds style is many things, but I wouldn't say tight. Maybe from Who Are You on.

Date: August 3, 2006 18:37

Gee, the Faces a sloppy band??? WAsnt Ronnie Wood a guitarist with them? Ah Yes it all makes sense now. He is with the Stones and is very sloppy!

"Is it any wonder that we fuss and fight"

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 3, 2006 19:08

Just to both restate and echo: Kenny Jones is a brilliant drummer with a very distinctive style, as a listen to "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake" (check the title track), or any other SF album, not to mention "You're My Girl" from Gas Alley, or the whole Faces box, or the Al Jackson groove of the later singles like "As Long As You Tell Him" or "Jodie" ...With the Who he sounded bland, not exhibiting any of the style that had made him one of the top rock drummers from 1965 - 75, but the music on those last 2 Who albums (Faces Dances '81, and 'It's Hard', '82) is very bland as well...Townshend, it sounds, came in with prepared demos and the band would do their parts...Even the last Moon album, 'Who Are You ('78),' suffers from this problem, and consequent lack of vitality in the rhythm section...

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 3, 2006 19:16

KJ is fab on Rockplast from 1981, totally rocks!...... but IMO he grew tired of the Band as the long tour progressed. Doesn't help that your lead singer hates you and you have to fill the shoes of one of rocks finest and most individual drummers!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 3, 2006 20:48

The best thing Jones ever did with The Who was the version of "I'm Free" found on the Tommy soundtrack album.

There's a fire there that they never captured on the two studio albums he did with The Who.

One of the big problems during that time was that Townshend was using his best material for his solo work. Also the production on Face Dances by that Eagle producer (Bill Sxy-- the guy with no vowels in his last name) totally sucked.

I think that they were trying to re-define the groups sound, which is why they weren't going for a Moon-alike (say, Mitch Mitchell) but that ended before it started. (Jones would actually be better suited filling in for Charlie than Moonie)

It was a bad time for the band and Kenny took the rap.

One more thing: I think I know why Daltry hates him. In '82 when they played the LA Colliseum there was a giant video screen (first time--the Stones did not have one there the year before) I recall very clearly at one point they cut to a giant close-up of Jones and hearing a sound of a lot of ladies swooning over the guy! So he was competition for Roger...

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: August 3, 2006 20:52

The prob KJ had was JE. For the reunion tour he said that he don't want to go with them on tour again, because he doesn't want to get on tour just for the reason that JE in those days needed the money urgently, concerning his british tax problems.
as far as I remember this was the reason in those days.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: RDNZL ()
Date: August 3, 2006 23:20

CC- The Who were a very tight band. Check your hearing. Who s Next, Quadrophenia, By Numbers, etc. Live is a different beast. I m talking studio ablums. However, At their peak they were the best live band around. Leeds is quite tight I must say. Have you heard the deluxe Who s Next with the live disc? Although they were figuring out the new songs it is still quite impressive.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: August 3, 2006 23:31

I remember reading something in '89 where KJ said that he was in the middle of a project with Paul Rogers and just couldn't drop it to go out on tour with The Who. It seems like he was pretty cranky about it, something like he had been waiting around for years and they decide to do it when he was tied up.

I don't know if the Paul Rogers thing ever came to pass.

** I just looked it up. It was a band called The Law. It came and went pretty fast in '91.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-08-04 00:54 by cbtaco19.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: August 3, 2006 23:49

There's nothing wrong with my hearing. We must have different ideas of "tightness." One of the things I like most about their turn-of-the-70s sound is the lack of tightness. Somewhat tighter on record, but I understand it took them take after take. I don't think (my understanding of) tight was in keith moon's vocabulary.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: August 4, 2006 01:36

The Rodgers thing came out in '91 as "The Law" - think of the line from Free--Badco--The Firm, and what would come next, i.e. the next step in Faceless corporate dreck bearing the same relationship to Free (or god help us Small Faces & Faces) as Firefall bears to Byrds or the Burittos.
Really, I would repeat: it seems clear the problem with those last 3 Who records (including the final one w/ Moon, so '78-82) ain't Kenny Jones - listen to the explosive early SF on Decca or more nuanced & crafted Immediate label SF records. They were the mods Pete wrote about & for, & there was a cultural reason to hire Jones. It didn't work out.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: August 4, 2006 10:07

spare a thought for kim mclagan = bless her and mac ... how about a new band called the who stone faces... with mac, zak, ringo.keith, ron, mick, rod and roger... plus mick taylor and bill wyman... it might even sell out stadiums...

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: August 4, 2006 13:25

There'e a funny kind of difference between steady and tight, right? The band sounds tight on Live At Leeds, no doubt about it. The word tight means something else when used about a drummer; a tight drummer is more like a steady drummer. Keith Moon, no time keeper, played ALOT around the kit, and therefore tight as part of the band's sound, but not like a tight/steady drummer, IMO.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 4, 2006 16:55

I don't think Jones was ever in the running for the '89 tour whether he was busy or not. After they broke up in '82, they did two one-off reunions: Live Aid in '85 and some sort of British record awards show in '88. Jones played on both of those, but Daltrey reportedly put his foot down and said no Jones on the '89 reunion tour.

Part of it was personal animosity on Daltrey's part, part of it was Jones' playing style didn't really fit, and part of it was they wanted a drummer who was a sideman and not a full member so they could split the money and the glory three ways instead of four. Jones is a great drummer but as someone said his style is a lot closer to Charlie's than Moon's. Zak Starkey is a much more suitable replacement; his style is very close to Moon's and he is one of the top drummers in the world today.

Still, Jones had his moments with The Who. There is an alternative take of The Real Me on the box set 30 Years Of Maximum R&B with Jones on drums that just blows me away every time I hear it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home