Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stuttgart, Neckarstadion, 19 June 1976 - 30th anniversary today!
Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: June 19, 2006 20:43

It is exactly 30 years ago that the Stones played a concert at Stuttgart, Neckarstadion (today named Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion which they will play on August 3). I attended the concert and looked up my old diary on the occasion of the anniversary. The event was announced as a „Midsummer Concert“. I’ll give you an impression of the day. Times are given in CET.

15.43 p.m. The Meters perform as the first group on that afternoon.
16.02 p.m. Interruption because of a damaged fuse, applauded by the audience.
16.19 p.m. The Meters play on, finishing with ‚Johnny B. Goode‘.
17.41 p.m. John Miles Band instead of Robin Trower who did not appear. John played his big hit ‚Music‘ which was in the charts right then.
18.30 p.m. John Miles finishes his gig.
19.18 p.m. Little Feat, featuring Llowell George (I did not like their gig but then I didn’t know their music).
20.16 p.m. Little Feat finish their gig after two encores.
20.55 p.m. The fireworks start, lasting about five minutes and they are great! Afterwards the light fades to dark, and taped music is played in complete darkness.
21.11 p.m. An announcer says ‚Ladies and gentlemen, the ROLLING STONES!‘ And there they are; Mick Jagger, active Keith Richards, lazy Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts with his ‚prisoner‘ haircut and Ron Wood with his hair like the Bay City Rollers (pardon, but that’s the characteristics from my diary back then). I still remember the gleaming red light on stage during ‚Honky tonk women‘.
They played the common setlist for 1976, and the concert was rather mediocre. But then, it was my first Stones concert, and I was of course fascinated. However, I was disappointed that they did not include any oldies besides ‚Get off of my cloud‘. But ‚Fool to cry‘, the current single, was very moving, with Jagger playing piano on the intro; I also remember ‚Star star‘, and the audience went wild when Jagger played the harmonica intro to ‚Midnight rambler‘. He danced with Billy Preston on stage, while Ian Stewart sat half hidden behind his piano and was only mentioned during the band introductions.
22.50 p.m. The show ended abruptly, with Jagger throwing confetti over the other band members, then emptying a bucket of water over his head. Then the band left the stage and the lights went out. We had no idea that the show was planned and there would be no encores.

The recording is available on bootleg and is a very mediocre audience recording. Local TV station SDR 3 broadcast a part of ‚Honky tonk women‘, and I think that they have more footage in their archives. I saw someone record the show with professional equipment but the tape obviously never surfaced. My own attempt to record the concert with a cassette recorder and high-quality microphones failed because erroneously I pulld out the microphone seconds after I had pressed the button and did not notice it. A friend of mine recorded the show with a primitive cassette recorder and a very cheap microphone. But his recording is marred by audience noises so the only song which has some appeal is ‚Fool to cry‘.

Just wanted to share the memory with you.

Re: Stuttgart, Neckarstadion, 19 June 1976 - 30th anniversary today!
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: June 19, 2006 23:29

thanks

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: June 20, 2006 00:20

.......and it's exactly 24 years since I saw my first Stones-consert at Ullevi in Gothenburg/Sweden 19 June 1982
(And the second one will be 24 years ago tomorrow)

Per-Arne

Posted by: stonethobo ()
Date: June 20, 2006 00:48

great story, thanks.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: June 20, 2006 00:58

Great! To add some vague memory of "having read that" ... they even made it into the Guinness Book of Records with the loudest PA (measured in Watt) then.

Date: June 20, 2006 09:44

Yesterday evening I listened to the old cassette recording and despite the sound quality was far from being perfect it brought back lots of memories of that special day 30 years back.
Actually, Jagger's singing was better than I had remembered. One treasure from that tour is their very funky gospel version of 'You gotta move'.

Date: June 21, 2006 16:00

...and Midnight rambler still was a great live song, clocking in at over 12 minutes.

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: June 23, 2006 19:34

As far as I remember this was the show when a lot of spectators shouted 'hinsetzen, hinsetzen' at those standing in front while the stones started playing 'You gotta move'. That have been times
Great moment in life

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Posted by: rrronnie ()
Date: June 25, 2006 18:53

Yes, I was there, too. Stayed overnight in a nearby park. Was a great summer day and my second Stones show. The stage was so high I didn't see Charlie for the whole show as I was standing (or rather sitting those days)front row. But thanks for the report, saltoftheearth. Brought back níce memories.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: June 25, 2006 19:23

Per-Arne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .......and it's exactly 24 years since I saw my
> first Stones-consert at Ullevi in
> Gothenburg/Sweden 19 June 1982
> (And the second one will be 24 years ago
> tomorrow)
>
> Per-Arne

That makes 2 of us! And the pics of those events are here:

[www.stonesvikings.com]

Date: June 26, 2006 09:25

eismann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As far as I remember this was the show when a lot
> of spectators shouted 'hinsetzen, hinsetzen' at
> those standing in front while the stones started
> playing 'You gotta move'. That have been times
> Great moment in life

No, my scratchy tape proves that it was during 'Star star' and that's why this song is unlistenable on the recording.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: June 26, 2006 10:29

The Meters, Little Feat and Stones at one night?

Must be Three Wishes.

Date: July 25, 2006 12:40

After 30 years the Stones will be back at the former Neckarstadion and present Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion on August §!

Posted by: bigguyelpaso ()
Date: December 10, 2012 21:06

Was at the concert. I was an american soldier stationed at Wilken Barracks. Great weather,thousands of people, and it seemed like most were americans.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 10, 2012 21:10

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 10, 2012 23:16

No Lady Gaga then... well they had Preston in full "camp" mode so... >grinning smiley<

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home