Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'What about the 1975 elephants???
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 9, 2005 12:58

As a child i saw it on tv,and in this''on tour book theres a picture(memphis)now was this the only elephant show?they were never to be on stage,right?

Re: 'What about the 1975 elephants???
Date: December 9, 2005 13:14

Tomorow this ''dombo''is going tobuy a 120e ticket for the go go.I aint gonna be sad!!

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: December 9, 2005 17:15

They wanted elephants on stage, but the stage would not support the weight -
wild show, was my 2nd Stones show - hotter than blazes.

Date: December 9, 2005 19:28

big bam thank you manph!!!!

Date: December 9, 2005 19:30

Does there exist a boot of this 75 menphis show????

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 9, 2005 19:37

No, but it exists on tape/CD-R in OK quality.

Date: December 9, 2005 19:43

Maybe ''snow'' you might one day, send it to me, i love 75/76 tour dearly.

Date: December 9, 2005 19:47

I would love to copy, but I can't copy tapes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-29 19:10 by Erik_Snow.

Date: December 9, 2005 20:03

right, snow, it s some where,would have a hell off a party i tell ya!!!menphis, r&r do have the 78 show,they was givin there all an i think they did it in 75 also, like to know.

Date: December 9, 2005 21:02

Memphis '75 was an all day deal - J. Geils, Charlie Daniels, and more.
The Stones were 2 hours late comin' on - 95 degrees in Memphis on July 4.
Cconcessions ran out of ice and drinks. It was great.

Date: December 9, 2005 23:57

Somebody out there ,must have morephotos ,only have the ''on tour,book'' ones.

Date: December 10, 2005 00:04

can you tell me abou this gig manp???!!!!

Date: December 10, 2005 00:10

thanks,sure want to know more man!!!it was a huge stadium thats for sure.Did ron played ''sure the one you need''?great live version by the by!!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2005 00:16

MEMORIES OF '75 ROLL IN WITH STONES TOUR
September 25, 1994
By Larry Nager
The Rolling Stones' "Voodoo Lounge" rolls into the Liberty Bowl Tuesday night, and though it's the band's most massive undertaking to date, it's one smooth-rolling, well-oiled machine.
The 220-foot-wide stage, complete with giant inflatables and airplane lights, takes four days to assemble, requiring a 250-member crew, 56 semitrailers, nine custom buses and a Boeing 727 for the band. Budweiser, the tour's national sponsor, is helping pick up the tab for mobilizing those forces, as the tour calls into action a fair portion of the national concert industry. But unlike the Stones' last Memphis stadium date, this one doesn't require trained elephants or bluesman Furry Lewis, so local promoter Bob Kelley isn't too worried.
"This date is so organized, so controlled, so contracted, so specific," said Kelley, president of Mid-South Concerts, which is producing the show in conjunction with the national promoter, Toronto-based CPI. "In those days it was just, 'Stop complaining, you've got the best date in the country.' "
That "best date" was July 4, 1975, when the Rolling Stones played the Liberty Bowl, then known as Memphis Memorial Stadium. It was a wild time that remains infamous in Memphis concert lore, a brutally hot show day that found many concertgoers stripped to the buff, a time when marijuana consumption was so conspicuous that hemp plants could be seen growing out of the stadium turf a few weeks after the concert.
Today, many of those fans are respectable, fully dressed adults who'll be bringing their children to Tuesday's concert. But it was a different world in 1975 and, not surprisingly, Kelley had a rough time securing the date, as some in the city felt a rock and roll show on Independence Day was a form of treason. But while others had plans for patriotic fireworks displays to begin the Bicentennial year, Kelley had secured his bid in first.
Still, the holiday did trip him up a bit, as a few days before the show, the Stones decided they wanted to do something special for the occasion.
"So we got this elephant call," Kelley said. "They said that on the day we took the colonies back from them they wanted to ride onstage on elephants."
The Stones' production team had scoured the country, securing elephants from a Ringling Brothers troupe in Minnesota. "That afternoon or the next morning, eight elephants come sauntering into the stadium grounds," Kelley said, still sounding a bit exasperated. "So not only do we have elephants for them to ride onstage, but we have elephants to take care of. Three days before the show, these elephants are hanging around dumping on everything."
But the biggest problem was figuring out how to get them onstage. Every time they tried to get the lead elephant onstage, the wooden ramps were turned into piles of kindling. They reinforced the ramps again and again. "We had that ramp at least 2-, 2 1/2-feet thick and every elephant would go right through."
The solution, so they thought, was to use a swing like those used to maneuver large boats into the water and simply hoist the elephants onstage. The stage was rebuilt on show day, using more than 20 carpenters (all working at inflated holiday rates, Kelley recalled), and the first elephant was placed in the boat swing. "This elephant got about six inches off the ground and he starts freaking because he doesn't like being a boat," Kelley said. The pachyderm was tranquilized and slowly raised up to the stage, which had earlier withstood rigorous weight tests with heavy machinery.
"We took this elephant, swung him around, put him on the stage," Kelley said, pausing for effect before pounding his fist on his desk. "Right through the . . . stage. That was it. That's when I said, 'Enough, it's not gonna work.' "
But the Stones' American manager, Peter Rudge, refused to tell Mick Jagger. That was Kelley's job, he insisted. Jagger arrived the day of the show by private plane and when he got to the stadium, Kelley, who was being held in place by a terrified Rudge, approached the head Stone. "I said, 'Mick, the elephant thing didn't work out. Nothing we can do will hold them.' And he just said, 'Oh (expletive) it, then. Where's me makeup man?' That classic line, and he just walked right into the dressing room. We spent $45,000 trying to make a stage that would be able to hold elephants."
Furry Lewis did make it to the stage, but just barely. Lewis booster Knox Phillips had landed the octogenarian Memphis bluesman the gig of playing for the Stones when they arrived at Memphis Aero a couple days earlier.
"Furry set up on whisky cases on the runway playing, just as they got off and everybody else walked by except Keith (Richards) and (Ron) Wood," said Memphis musician-producer Jim Dickinson, a longtime friend of the Stones who played piano on the "Sticky Fingers" sessions that produced Wild Horses. ''And Keith literally sat at Furry's feet."
The band decided they wanted Lewis to open for them, but Kelley, thinking that the J. Geils Band, the Meters and the Charlie Daniels Band were enough, figured they'd forget about Lewis, according to Phillips. But as Knox enjoyed a Fourth of July at his father Sam's house, "I get an emergency call and Bob says, 'Knox, the Rolling Stones will not go on unless you bring Furry out here.' "
Phillips called Lewis and told him he'd be picked up at his house and Kelley dispatched a limousine and two motorcycle officers to bring Lewis and his girlfriend Fredonia to the show.
"I was there when he got there," Phillips said. Everybody was very kind to Furry, very respectful. But it was really surreal. Here he was, playing guitar, this old man standing there with Mick Jagger in major-league makeup."
Phillips said Lewis, who died in 1981 at 88, was paid $1,000 for playing onstage in front of the 51,000 Rolling Stones fans, the biggest crowd of the bluesman's lengthy career. But when he was done, Lewis was ready to leave. ''Fredonia said, 'Don't you want to see the Rolling Stones? They're the biggest rock and roll band in the world.' And he said, 'I don't care nothing about it.' "
But after Lewis left the stage, the crowd still had to wait for the band. ''The Stones waited until sundown to come on," recalled Walter Dawson, former music critic for The Commercial Appeal and now managing editor of the Monterey County Herald. "There was a long gap before the Stones. People were hot and things were getting a little tense. There was no trouble, but things were getting a little tense."
Kelley says Jagger delayed the show because he'd taken a private plane to visit a girlfriend in Virginia. "He delayed the show about two hours," Kelley said. "And the crowd was not getting unruly, but it was an extremely hot day and they were getting very, very tired. There was a huge amount of tension. And they came on about two, two-and-a-half hours late, and Jagger just pranced onstage with a parasol, like absolutely nothing was wrong and just said some snide remark to Memphis and then the band proceeded . . . and it was like nothing ever happened. The show was unbelievable."
The Stones made $275,000 from the Memphis date, which Kelley recalls paying in cash (he also bought his house shortly after, paying for it, he said, mostly in cash). Memphis did well, also, stadium manager Nat Baxter estimating the city earned $112,000 in rental, parking and concessions.
But the Stones' adventures in the Mid-South weren't over yet. The following day, at Dickinson's suggestion, Richards, Wood and a bodyguard decided to drive to the Dallas concert through Arkansas. But they got no farther than Fordyce, where they were arrested after officers said they smelled marijuana. Richards was later charged with reckless driving and possession of a knife. Bodyguard Fred Sessler was charged with possession of a controlled substance.
Kelley took part in a conference call with the Stones' attorney and the sheriff of Fordyce to try and get Richards and Wood freed. "And he (the sheriff) said, 'We don't need this kind of stuff down here in Fordyce, all this press, getting calls from all over the world. We don't need no Rolling Stones bringing attention to Fordyce, we don't need that.' And I said, 'Why is that, sir?' 'We're already famous. Bear Bryant was born here.' "
Years later, when Dickinson was touring England with Ry Cooder, he stopped in to see Richards and apologized for sending him off to Arkansas.
'I said, 'I'm so sorry. I had no idea that you would have that kind of hassle. And he looked at me, and sometimes he completely drops his accent. Keith thinks of himself as an American, which is the big difference between the two of them (Richards and Jagger). And his accent completely went away from him and he got this mysterious look on his face and he said, 'Man that was the most fun I ever had in my life.' "
Though the times have changed and rock and roll is much more of a business nowadays, Dickinson says the Stones' music hasn't changed much. Even with Darryl Jones replacing original bassist Bill Wyman, Dickinson said of the band's recent MTV Awards appearance, "It was the only real music anybody played."
In that, Kelley, who later promoted the Stones' 1978 Mid-South Coliseum appearance, agrees. "When you see the Stones live, you see how good they are," said Kelley, more hard-core fan than veteran promoter. "Once that band hits the stage, it's like all the stress, all the problems, everything that's been associated with the show melts aways and you just stand there and watch in awe."

ROCKMAN

Date: December 10, 2005 00:16

For those who been there must have been in heaven, that for sure,were you there in 78 also? what a wonderfull r&r city more stories please!!!!

Date: December 10, 2005 00:45

Thanks for that post, Rockman!

Date: December 10, 2005 00:48

Rockman your a gent! thank you so much!!Areal good read indeed,thanks once again.In your story the dallas gig is mentioned now that was a huge gig also,somebody been there??Was that old ''lewis''a good support???can i hear this man??!!!!!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: December 10, 2005 00:53

rooster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rockman your a gent! thank you so much!!Areal good
> read indeed,thanks once again.In your story the
> dallas gig is mentioned now that was a huge gig
> also,somebody been there??Was that old ''lewis''a
> good support???can i hear this man??!!!!!

rooster....there's Furry Lewis blues recordings on the Yazoo label....early '30s acoustic country blues

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2005 00:58

Furry was a blues player from Memphis who toured a lot with travelling medicine shows. His style is more talking blues and his best and early works be found on
Furry Lewis - In His Prime 1927 - 1928 Yazoo 1050.

Furry also appeared in two films - W.W. and the Dixie Dance King and This Is Elvis. He passed away in 1981.

ROCKMAN

Date: December 10, 2005 01:03

Gabba gabba, i thank you Leonard!!hey.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: December 10, 2005 01:21

Great articlde. So much lore I've yet to hear.

Date: December 10, 2005 02:14

Rockman wewant a encore!!!

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: December 10, 2005 02:17

"When you see the Stones live, you see how good they are," said Kelley, more hard-core fan than veteran promoter. "Once that band hits the stage, it's like all the stress, all the problems, everything that's been associated with the show melts aways and you just stand there and watch in awe."

The statement I copied above is how I feel to this day. All who are able to dig the Stones, with all of their faults, are very, very fortunate. I've seen four shows so far this tour, all of them simply outstanding. Loads of fun. I saw the Stones in '75, as well. In Cleveland. Still my favorite show.

Date: December 10, 2005 02:21

Cleveland, June 14th - aha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-09-29 19:10 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: December 10, 2005 02:39

Sloppy? Definitely. Very bad? Hardly. Crazy, insane rock 'n roll. Jagger totally over the top. Keith and Charlie just chugging away. I saw Yes that year, as well. And they weren't sloppy at all. I know what show rocked my 18 year old brain, and it wasn't Yes.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: December 10, 2005 02:54

never saw that story ,its a good 1, tank u rockman ,heres the pics from the tour book

Date: December 10, 2005 03:24

soul doggie1!!!tell us bout youre Cleveland experience,im hungy for 75 tonight,right!

Date: December 10, 2005 03:30

THANKS,chippy these are the photo s i meant!!!are there other pics,exsisting!!!!i thank you anyway cause my on tour boook is inti pieces ,but proudly still exist!!!my libraly (oh shit!!)is allllll stones.

Date: December 10, 2005 03:34

by the by, the last picture,aint menphis, its dallas, still a great pic!gent.

Date: December 10, 2005 03:44

Rolling Stone magazine did an article about the '75 tour, with photos by [I think] Annie Liebowitz[sp?]. Sorry, I don't know the issue number. You might try eBay, used record shops, etc. It turns up from time to time in those places.
You might try"googleing" old Memphis newspaper articles also.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home