Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Mick Jagger Cannot Sing
Posted by: RoddyD ()
Date: September 14, 2005 05:02

Can Dylan sing?
Springsteen?
Bono?
John Hyatt?
Nick Cave?
Mellencamp?

In my opinion, no ROCK artist CAN sing. They're VOCALISTs.

AS long as they bring the "feeling" to the song, who cares? Not me...

I have to admit, when I read the Topic "Mick Jagger Cannot Sing", I thought the message would read

".....ANY BETTER than he is on A Bigger Bang!"

THAT'S accurate. This is his best sounding record vocally!!!

Rod

Posted by: arjan ()
Date: September 14, 2005 10:42

find new friends. These guys are not worth hanging out with you

Date: September 14, 2005 10:46

Just play these songs for your friends:

Start Me Up
Let It Loose
Angie (!)
Worried About You
One Hit (To The Body)
Fight
Back Of My Hand
Undercover
Miss You
Down In The Hole
Rocks Off

If they still say that Mr. Jagger cannot sing, take them to the doctor smiling smiley

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: September 14, 2005 10:57

Sometimes you get surprised. After more than 40 years some fans discover that the singer "can't sing".

Jagger's voice, Richards guitarplaying, Watts' drumming, Wyman's bassplaying have always been the Stones trademark.
As a musician you can probably learn to play like Keith, Charlie and Bill.
But I have never heard any singer (maybe an early Van Morrison) that sounds even close to Mick's charismatic voice.

To me he is the greatest singer ever.

Date: September 14, 2005 12:01

SHAME ON YOU!

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: September 14, 2005 12:06

The first thing I said to my girlfriend this morning was what an amazing singer Mick is on ABB. Technique? Who needs that in rock? It would sound just stupid to sing ONNYA with an opera voice.

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: September 14, 2005 12:18

Your friend are stuck in a stupid cliche. Apart from all the songs already mentioned, don't forget Winter and Moonlight Mile. And there are tons of others.

At the very beginning of his career, I bet he didn't really think he would be such a great singer. To these days, some journalists or whoever still write "he's not such a good singer, but he has incredible charisma..." and this kind of things. They must be deaf then. Or - is it so hard to admit that someone is just perfectsmiling smiley
His voice is full of emotinos, full of sex, full of irony...he can express anything, and no one else comes close. And the new album proves his perfectionism. Yes, people who claim that this Jagger is not a good singer should really throw away their prejudice...or envy. He's excellent.

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: September 14, 2005 12:27

Sure jagger doesn't have the largest voice or purest timbre ever - but he has unbelievable vocal diversity and skills. I'd suggest you grab Wandering Spirit, Jagger's vocal compendium and play in a row all the tunes, insisting on how many styles he masterizes, particularizing his breathing, his spelling, his phrasing, every little details.

Date: September 14, 2005 13:09

A singer needs a signature. And Jagger has it - more than most singers. He has his own style, his own technique and is truly unique.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 14, 2005 13:44

Great singing is all about expression and emotion - not how many top A's you can hit - and how you use your vocal gifts to suit a certain style of music

Pavarotti is a great singer in every sense of the word...but I doubt he could do much with Gimme Shelter

In concert, Mick is IMO singing better in this decade than he ever has in the past. He's worked very hard at achieving that. Listen to his onstage singing in the 70's and up to 1982 and then compare it with the last tour and theres no contest.

and if your friend still doesnt think he can sing, play him "thats how strong my love is" from Live Licks and shut him up.

Posted by: RockR ()
Date: September 14, 2005 14:24

Jagger is a fine singer when he wants to be , but I've always felt his vocals are so much better in the studio than live. Live, he tends to shorten words and phrases and sometimes sound as though his singing is an afterthought. But in the studio, he almost always hits the mark -- and that's been especially true on recent Stones albums. Whatever your opinions are of 'Voodoo Lounge', 'Bridges to Babylon', and now 'A Bigger Bang', they do contain some of Sir Mick's very finest singing.

Date: September 14, 2005 15:02

Some true in that, RockR. I think it depends on that live Mick is running around a lot at the same time he sings (which of course is impressive in another way).

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: September 14, 2005 16:01

Listen fx. to Wild Horses on Stripped.....

Can he sing? Hell he can....

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: September 14, 2005 16:57

I will wait until seeing him in concert again. But giving the flasetto on worried about you in Stockholm blew me away.
So who can't sing??
However he has more trouble nowadays.

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: September 14, 2005 18:14

Tell your friends that they are a bunch of fukwits.

Oily.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: September 14, 2005 18:28

You should invite your >"friends"< to a karaoke night.
Get some horrible midi karaoke versions of the Stones and let them have a go at them.
This will probably sound like sore rats ass.
Now put the original Stones songs on - and the sun will shine brighter than ever.

Posted by: fancymanblues ()
Date: September 15, 2005 06:54

yes, ask your buddies to define a "good singer"! and snicker at who ever they claim is "good". Mick may not be able to carry a tune in a bucket, but he clearly is one of the best "rock n roll singer"ever. Attitude, delivery, mood all go into the equation. Having a strong voice like Celine Dion doesn't garuntee your a good singer. Having a great voice like Sinead O'Connor, but not liking the US national anthem doesn't help your record sales. Having a great voice like Neko Case, but not playing song with drum loops doesn't get you on the charts. A good singer is clearly a subjective term, I think your buddies just don't understand.

fancy that

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: September 15, 2005 07:03

I think they were comparing to most of the pretty singers today. I'm thinking the guy from Maroon 5 and I cant really think of anyone else. I know they wouldnt say mariah carey.heheheh. But no I know he would definetly say Bono. And I would say Jagger is no Bono on that level. But that is about all Bono has. A slightly better voice then Jagger and maybe a bunch of freaking politics.

TOM

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: September 15, 2005 08:33

Sister Morphine.
Lady Jane.

And the first album completely.

But just have them come to a show. They'll be convinced he can sing!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: September 15, 2005 10:00

Well, mention anyone who can sing according to Moron's Daily: Mariah Carey, and so on.
Now who do you prefer? I know what I like more

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: September 16, 2005 01:38

THE GUY FROM MAROON 5 IS NOT THAT GREAT LLOKING AND HAS A TERRIBLY FEMININE VOICE LIVE! NOT GREAT AT ALL!

Posted by: JamesBurton ()
Date: September 16, 2005 07:04

Mick Jagger can't sing? Well the heck have your friends been smoking? I can't think of another singer, other than Roy Orbison, whose voice has actually improved with age. He also has a remarkable range, particularly for his age.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: September 17, 2005 02:28

micks vocals are second to no one,and like a fine wine has matured to perfection,full range intact.

john scialfa

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2195
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home