Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question about quitting the Stones
Posted by: JumboJetPsycho ()
Date: July 28, 2016 03:41

if Bill Wyman had not quit the stones
if Charlie had quit the stones

Who should have replaced him?

MICK AVORY????????????????????

Re: Question about quitting the Stones
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 28, 2016 03:53

No one, Charlie is irreplaceable.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: July 28, 2016 05:19

Ringo cool smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 28, 2016 12:23

If Charlie had left the Stones instead of Bill in the early 90s they of course had hired another drummer just like they hired Darryl. Charlie can be replaced, Ronnie can be replaced, Keith... no he cant. Mick of course can never be replaced. No Stones without Mick, like no smoke without fire.

But Charlie... yes he can be replaced by some copycat. THE WHO even replaced Keith Moon (hard to believe).

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 28, 2016 13:20

Probably Steve Jordan.
Keith worked with him and they swung great.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 28, 2016 13:21

No Charlie Watts and the Stones simply put do not roll !

Date: July 28, 2016 13:29

A talented drummer can easily copy Watts and they would roll like they used to.

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: July 28, 2016 13:34

HMS
If Charlie had left the Stones instead of Bill in the early 90s they of course had hired another drummer just like they hired Darryl. Charlie can be replaced, Ronnie can be replaced, Keith... no he cant. Mick of course can never be replaced. No Stones without Mick, like no smoke without fire.

But Charlie... yes he can be replaced by some copycat. THE WHO even replaced Keith Moon (hard to believe).

If you think like that even Keith could be replaced by some copycat. But you cannot replace his face/persona. The only one that cannot be replaced is Jagger. Ive heard zillions of RS coverbands, great Keiths, Charlies, Bills, Brians, Taylors, even Woods. Enough copycats out there. But Ive never heard anybody sing like Jagger. You cannot steal his vocal cords.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: July 28, 2016 13:46

latebloomer
No one, Charlie is irreplaceable.

You're right, I totally agree.
No Stones without Charlie...

Date: July 28, 2016 13:53

Why should Charlie be irreplaceable?
They replaced Brian, MT and Bill... so it shouldnt be a big problem to find a drummer who can play Watts-style.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: July 28, 2016 14:07

Of course they would have replaced him. Steve Jordan and Jim Keltner are obvious choices, though I don't think that Keltner would do it.

Charlie isn't that good as a drummer (anymore). Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and I don't want any other drummer in the Stones, but he is easily replaceable. I think the reason why he is so popular amongst the fans is because of his personality and not because of his drumming. Charlie is a mix out of the quite Gentleman drummer and the loyal dog. That's what people love at him. Me too. But his drumming....I don't know. Since the early 90s his playing is subpar IMO. I can't hear any swing or groove anymore. He plays more static and robotic than ever unfortunately. Maybe that comes with age, I dunno. I even have a hard time to watch him playing. It looks uncomfortable and forced.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 28, 2016 14:30

No Charlie, no Stones. Period. Nobody can copy Charlie Watts.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 28, 2016 14:36

Koen

It makes no difference. he would of been replaced.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 28, 2016 14:39

Maybe Woody would have brought in Kenney Jones, another simple but solid and tasteful drummer...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 28, 2016 14:48

It is very hard to imagine the Stones without Charlie Watts, but I do not believe that Jagger or Richards would have retired just because Charlie Watts left the band. They might have asked Jim Keltner.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: July 28, 2016 14:49

There was some silly rumours in the mid to late 80s about Terence Trent D'arby replacing Mick. eye popping smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 28, 2016 16:41

geordiestone
There was some silly rumours in the mid to late 80s about Terence Trent D'arby replacing Mick. eye popping smiley
As long as they are not planning to replace somebody with Anohni.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 28, 2016 16:57

They would have replaced Charlie as easily as they replaces Wyman. I have always thought Charlie is the weak link. They might have improved with the right person.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 28, 2016 17:35

Everybody is 'replaceable.'
Steve Jordan or Kenny Jones comes to mind. Depending on when it happened. Right now they would probably just hire some young session man.
If something happened to Keith, Jagger would have kept them together -- Woods and Taylor as guitarists?
I actually think that even Jagger was replaceable, had he left to go solo for good in the '80s. Keith, Ronnie and Charlie would have found another singer and continued on, not playing stadiums that's for sure, but still playing and recording. Although if Mick had left Charlie might have retired, too.
Just as long as the guitar players ....

Fun to speculate, but kind of disrespectful too, I guess. Never mind.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 28, 2016 17:37

To all of the people participating in the thread who either aren't musicians or haven't been in a band before:

Being in a band is many times (if not most of the time) not simply a case of having the correct musical ability. Most people around here have heard the phrase "being a good hang" tossed around. In addition to those to specific examples, there are also MANY intangibles which are added into the equation.

Now add to the fact that, in the case being discussed here, the Stones are not only a band but they're also "a brand". You've now just added in a bunch MORE intangibles into the equation.

The question "If Charlie had quit the Stones in the early 90's, who would have replaced him?" is actually a two part question, and the first answer would not be answered with a drummer's name. The drummer is the secondary issue. The primary issue/answer would be answered with the names "Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Bill Wyman (since this whole exercise is assuming Bill had stayed) and (depending on whether he was given a vote) Ronnie Wood". If those 3-4 guys had decided that they could (and wanted to) continue without Charlie, THEN and only then would it be possible to start to answer the question with a drummer's name.

As I try to wrap my head around what I see as the 1st question, I can come up with reasons that all 3-4 of the primary Stones would have voted both for and against replacing Charlie. Ultimately my final thought comes in closer to the "they wouldn't have replaced him, it would have brought about the end of the Stones" as opposed to, "they would have called 'Steve Jordan' (or anyone else) and rolled on". I could be wrong...

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2016 17:41

wonderboy
Everybody is 'replaceable.'
Steve Jordan or Kenny Jones comes to mind. Depending on when it happened. Right now they would probably just hire some young session man.
If something happened to Keith, Jagger would have kept them together -- Woods and Taylor as guitarists?
I actually think that even Jagger was replaceable, had he left to go solo for good in the '80s. Keith, Ronnie and Charlie would have found another singer and continued on, not playing stadiums that's for sure, but still playing and recording. Although if Mick had left Charlie might have retired, too.
Just as long as the guitar players ....

Fun to speculate, but kind of disrespectful too, I guess. Never mind.

What about Wood and Taylors?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 28, 2016 17:54

GasLightStreet

Or Richard or Richards!

How often do successful bands disband when a member leaves or dies? Not very often, I imagine. Zeppelin did, the Beatles split when Lennon lost interest. If Clapton is in your band and he leaves then you're done. Did Faces try to replace Ronnie and Rod?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 28, 2016 18:00

Zeppelin lost a drummer once...only once

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 28, 2016 18:04

wonderboy
GasLightStreet

Or Richard or Richards!

That was Keith's own doing, not people who don't know how to spell Wood.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 28, 2016 19:06

no one would or could 'replace' Charlie..

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 28, 2016 19:09

Koen

You can same exactly the same about Brian Jones and Bill Wyman. And yet, they were replaced.

Date: July 28, 2016 19:20

franzk
Koen

You can same exactly the same about Brian Jones and Bill Wyman. And yet, they were replaced.

and it resulted in a different band in both cases, which everybody was happy with.

a very different scenario, imagining what Mick and Keith would have done if Charlie had retired, like Bill.

most likely they would have thought about a replacement...

auditioned a few drummers..

and then said f it, no Charlie, no Stones.

Charlie is as necessary to their music as Jagger's vocals and Keith's guitar.

Date: July 28, 2016 19:28

In the early 90s when the money starts to get real BIG, they would never called it quits only just because Charlie leaving the band. "No Charlie, no Stones" vs "No Stones, no big money".

Why should it be impossible to copy Watt´s way of playing? It isnt that difficult for a skilled drummer, I think.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 28, 2016 19:48

duke richardson
no one would or could 'replace' Charlie..

Which planet are you on?
They could replace Bill, though it was hard to accept.
Charlie could have been replaced without trouble.

I agree, as one poster stated, that Charlie's popularity are more because of his personality and because he is the odd man out in the group. He is a loyal person with a good sense of humor.

He was and is the perfect drummer for the band because that's what we are used to. Had he been replaced, it would have been the same scenario as with Bill: Some would accept it, others would not.

Even Ronnie could be replaced.

It's been the Jagger & Richards Show for decades.

Date: July 28, 2016 20:14

Nah.

just wouldn't happen. The irreducible core, as Keith called it.

Arguable though, since they kept on after Brian, Mick T, and Bill...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home