Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Jagger shoves Bill Wyman on stage! General mistreatment of Bill
Posted by: FP ()
Date: July 26, 2016 16:37

I was watching this very interesting documentary about the Stones 1976 tour and at about 10.31 during a performance Jagger walks over to Bill's side of the stage and gives him a hard push! It isn't a friendly gesture, but rather a hard "get out of my way" shove. Bill mildly attempts a kick back and then Jagger tries kick Bill.

Does anyone know what this may have been about, was this a joke or a disrespect to of Bill? I have heard a lot about Bill's problems in the Stones, was this type of thing a regular occurrence?

[www.pastemagazine.com]

Re: Jagger shoves Bill Wyman on stage! General mistreatment of Bill
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 26, 2016 16:59

Looked pretty good natured to me, trying to get a rise out of Bill. At that time Mick was known for bumping up against newby Ron Wood a lot, and for dancing with Billy Preston. I think it was part of Mick's mid-70s turn around for the Stones from an overly serious band to a good time band. A little bit of the old darkness returned for the short Some Girls tour and then it was back to light heartedness and bright neon football jerseys.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 26, 2016 17:07

Having been a bass player on many stages with many vocalists, I'd put that shove off as nothing more than "show business". I see no malice on the part of either Mick or Bill. Stuff like that on stage, if not actually choreographed, is one of many ways that many musicians break the monotony of playing the same thing over and over again. That's my opinion of what I saw anyway...

Side note: Thanks for sharing the link to the documentary... I think I've seen it before but I'll probably end up watching it all later!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 26, 2016 17:10

That's love, not mistreatment!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 26, 2016 17:11

just having fun

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: July 26, 2016 17:27

Why so sure? For some reason my PC only gave me the sound, not the visuals, so I can`t really judge.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 26, 2016 17:34

Well nows the fact that Bill were tha @#$%&..thats why the friendly push...

2 1 2 0

Date: July 26, 2016 17:36

noughties
Why so sure?

Why so sure it's just horseplay, not malice?
A] The Rolling Stones are professionals and do not have physical fights on stage.
b) The Mick used to do that sort of thing a lot.
iii. Other Stones felt free to reciprocate in the spirit of good fun, as Bill does here.
IV] There was even an incident of this recently between the Glimmer Twins and everyone loveloveloved it.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 26, 2016 18:01

Interesting video. A few observations / questions, although I've very little to say regarding Wyman's 'mistreatment' other than to agree with with sssoul, schillid, et al.

Forgive my poor memory, but could someone remind me who is being interviewed at 23:08?

According to Wood, the 'joints' are not what they appear; what of the 'multivitamin' and 'salt tablet' at 22:36?

Nice to see Bianca graciously sharing out the champagne, having quenched her thirst first by swigging from the bottle (and whyever not?) at 19:57.

Olly.

Date: July 26, 2016 18:05

How was Bill normally treated in the Stones? I read somewhere that Ron Wood said Bill never got to contribute any tunes (at least in the 70's) because "they were useless", which seems quite harsh. Was he bitter about this?

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 26, 2016 18:13

I'm sure I've seen Jagger do this to Bill in other films and maybe even in person once. I just assumed he was humorously calling attention to the fact that Bill never moves .... so he pushes him in order to make him move. Bill was very good-natured about it. I mean, can you imagine if Daltrey had done something like this to Entwistle? They'd end up having to take Roger to the hospital.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-26 18:27 by tatters.

Posted by: mattstones ()
Date: July 26, 2016 18:17

I think it is good natured.

As someone else said, he used to mess around 'bumping' into Ronnie.

I think on Flashpoint (just before Factory Girl) he says something like:

'What album is it off Bill?' followed immediately by' He doesn't know'

I think the only person who he wouldn't do it with is Keith (because he wouldn't take it so easily).

Date: July 26, 2016 19:07

FP
How was Bill normally treated in the Stones? I read somewhere that Ron Wood said Bill never got to contribute any tunes
(at least in the 70's) because "they were useless", which seems quite harsh. Was he bitter about this?

I don't know where you found that quote, but it's rubbish. Ronnie was co-writing even before he joined the band,
and Bill even got his own single plus a track on Metamorphosis. And since he feels he deserved more credit
that means his contributions were not being rejected, right?

You need some better books/sources, dear FP. Timeisonourside.com is packed with wonderful information.
Have fun!

Date: July 26, 2016 19:10

with sssoul
FP
How was Bill normally treated in the Stones? I read somewhere that Ron Wood said Bill never got to contribute any tunes
(at least in the 70's) because "they were useless", which seems quite harsh. Was he bitter about this?

I don't know where you found that quote, but it's rubbish. Ronnie was co-writing even before he joined the band,
and Bill even got his own single plus a track on Metamorphosis. And since he feels he deserved more credit

You need some better books/sources, dear FP. Timeisonourside.com is packed with wonderful information.
Have fun!

I think it was in the book "According to The Rolling Stones" I read the Ronnie quotesmiling smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 26, 2016 19:14

I thought the quote was attributed to Keith about Bill's songwriting.

As for the shove, Mick did the same to Rafael Saadiq at The Grammy's a few years back, the aggression is not mean-spirited. Likewise when he and Keith collided on stage a couple years ago. They're performing. It's the equivalent of playful banter.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 26, 2016 19:44

with sssoul
FP

Have fun!

Not sure what Wood writing songs before he joined the Stones or even within the Stones has to do with Bill's songs being useless during the 70s.

The post said that Wyman didn't get to contribute songs in the 70s because they were useless. What songs did he contribute during the 70s?

Then you posted that since Wyman thought he deserved more credit then that means he was contributing. Again what songs written by Wyman were recorded by the Stones in the 1970s?

Date: July 26, 2016 19:51

Easy there, Stan. I misread the post, all right? I thought FP said Ron and Bill were not allowed to contribute.
And by "contributing" I didn't/don't mean "writing entire songs" (neither does Bill, when he complains about the lack of credit).
Anyway Bill issued several solo albums in the 70s so I guess his songwriting needs were satisfied that way.

I do stand by my statement that FP seems in need of better sources of Stones-related information,
even if According to the Stones was the source of the statement we're discussing.
They not only horse each other around on stage, but also say rude things to/about each other quite regularly.
They're the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-26 20:03 by with sssoul.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 26, 2016 20:27

with sssoul
Easy there, Stan. I misread the post, all right? .

Cool. I have done that before.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 26, 2016 20:47

In 1989 IMAX, he gives Bill a big hug

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 26, 2016 23:39

How many pages can we get on a friendly shove from 40 years ago?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 26, 2016 23:56

BILLPERKS
How many pages can we get on a friendly shove from 40 years ago?

Maybe over 100!!!! hot smiley

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 27, 2016 01:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-27 01:21 by mosthigh.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: July 27, 2016 01:22

mtaylor
In 1989 IMAX, he gives Bill a big hug

If you watch the movie, he actually seems to put Bill in a headlock, and Bill shakes his head disapprovingly.

"Whaddya mean you're quitting the band!?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-27 01:24 by mosthigh.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 27, 2016 01:32

..... it's showtime ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 27, 2016 04:29

MJ gives Bill a little push and a quick hug in 2012 .... (at 2:27)

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-27 04:30 by SweetThing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2016 17:39

FP
How was Bill normally treated in the Stones? I read somewhere that Ron Wood said Bill never got to contribute any tunes (at least in the 70's) because "they were useless", which seems quite harsh. Was he bitter about this?

Mick Taylor basically stated that the Stones songs were useless so perhaps it's no big deal.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2016 17:44

stanlove
with sssoul
FP

Have fun!

Not sure what Wood writing songs before he joined the Stones or even within the Stones has to do with Bill's songs being useless during the 70s.

The post said that Wyman didn't get to contribute songs in the 70s because they were useless. What songs did he contribute during the 70s?

Then you posted that since Wyman thought he deserved more credit then that means he was contributing. Again what songs written by Wyman were recorded by the Stones in the 1970s?

Ronnie Wood writing with Mick Jagger... It's Only Rock'N'Roll in 1973. Ronnie Wood writing with Mick Jagger and Keith Richard with Black Limousine in 1973... and even recording it then.

Date: July 27, 2016 17:45

GasLightStreet
FP

Mick Taylor basically stated that the Stones songs were useless so perhaps it's no big deal.

Except (ironically) for BB, his favourite album.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 27, 2016 17:47

Bill has always been a mama's boy. Crying and complaining all the time. Sorry but it's true.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 27, 2016 18:04

My god, it's assault!! eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home