Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Off Topic threads may be deleted...
Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 22, 2016 22:35

Off Topic threads will be deleted... unless you clearly mark them OT:

This is a ROLLING STONES related web site. If your new topic is not 100% related to The Rolling Stones, you MUST mark it "OT: xxx" where "xxx" is the non-stones topic. Nothing new, it just seems that people are LAZY these days...

Why? Because OT means "read if you care, it is not about The Stones"...

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-29 10:06 by bv.

Re: Off Topic threads will be deleted...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 22, 2016 23:29

Just a silly question on the side: If OT means Off Topic which is the acronym for On Topic then?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 22, 2016 23:34

There's always one... grinning smiley

Date: July 22, 2016 23:48

Should off topic posts within Stones related topics get deleted? Now that would be a lot of work.

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: July 23, 2016 00:24

bv
Nothing new, it just seems that people are LAZY these days...
Or maybe some people make innocent mistakes. We're human...

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 23, 2016 00:35

Boognish
bv
It is the warm weather in Europe. Lack of water makes people dizzy and lack of concentration...... hot smiley

Re: Off Topic threads may be deleted...
Date: July 23, 2016 09:15

Boognish
bv

If you forget then you may do "EDIT POST" - on your own posts - and add the OT: in front of the off topic post...

Bjornulf

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 23, 2016 09:46

<<Off Topic threads will be deleted... unless you clearly mark them OT: <<

I am Oki with that , BV
But your words are a bit hard , don'y ya think ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Mister_D ()
Date: July 23, 2016 10:30

Well then how come THIS thread isn't marked OT? Just sayin'...
Will you be deleting yourself?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 24, 2016 12:33

Thanks, bv. It's annoying when you don't have a lot of time, click on a new thread, and end up skimming and skimming only to discover there is no Stones' content, and should have been marked "OT." Not sure whether the people who tend to forget adding "OT" will heed bv's request, but it would be considerate if they did smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: July 24, 2016 14:12

Technically IORR is a ROLLING STONES web site. I could have deleted EVERY single non-Stones post, but that would have made IORR boring and nerdy. Then on the other end, if there are more than 50% off topic posts, like a lot about whatever, wherever, whenever, IORR will be like water, easy going, but nothing more.

If you really look for news about the new Stones album, or the next shows the Stones will play, I am 100% sure you don't want to dig into a dozen posts about John Fogerty, Kiss, AC/DC, Pokemon and more. Some just forget to add OT, others do it on purpose.

By the way this topic is 100% ON TOPIC because it is 100% about IORR. I could delete myself but then there would be no more IORR. Someone have to be around to pay for the servers, and to keep them going. I am that someone.

Bjornulf

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 24, 2016 14:52

There is also another option: make a separate forum for offtopic discussions, like there is Hot Stuff and All Sold Out. People could discuss there other bands and issues without disturbing those who search for Stones content.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 24, 2016 21:32

franzk
People could discuss there other bands and issues

Or people could go to another website

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 25, 2016 01:28

It has already been suggested several times to have subforums, but I don't think it will happen.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 25, 2016 01:56

what about topics which contain other bands but only as a comparison to the stones, should they be off topic.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 25, 2016 03:00

franzk
There is also another option: make a separate forum for offtopic discussions, like there is Hot Stuff and All Sold Out. People could discuss there other bands and issues without disturbing those who search for Stones content.

Lots of extra work for our Moderator / Host, who already provides this for us.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 25, 2016 03:48

^^^Yes...way too much work for Bjornulf and, anyway, many times the OT threads end up with some Stones content.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 25, 2016 12:31

franzk

Great idea! And not extra work because once it's set up, the OT section could be anything goes...people can discuss ice cream, or REO Speedwagon, or anything they want to!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 25, 2016 13:01

swiss
franzk

Great idea! And not extra work because once it's set up, the OT section could be anything goes...people can discuss ice cream, or REO Speedwagon, or anything they want to!

Yes absolutely do create a seperate area for OT subjects. The large number of OT threads just clutter up the main page. I would question why people are posting irrelevant material in the first place? Less is more sometimes.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 25, 2016 14:59

Father Ted
swiss
franzk

Yes absolutely do create a seperate area for OT subjects. The large number of OT threads just clutter up the main page. I would question why people are posting irrelevant material in the first place? Less is more sometimes.

From 2009:

"Sorry no. I don't want a backyard with Off Topic posts. Not on Tell Me. Not on the other two forums here on IORR. Every single forum on IORR take a lot of time (my private spare time) to monitor and check. Every time somebody post too long subject lines or something offending or something off topic and so on it generate extra work for me to clean up. It is either very few Off Topic in total or no IORR Forum at all. I think most people want IORR to be here. Big newspaper portals have a paid staff to monitor and clean up after people who post in a bad way. I don't have that staff. And I don't want that staff, not even if they are free. I am in charge of the servers and the content, and I have been running IORR since 1995 i.e. for 14 years without the need of a staff of moderators, so I think I can handle it for some more years. But there is one simple requirement: Read the help and policy link on the top of the forum pages. That's all. Thanks!

Bjornulf
IORR Editor"
[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: TE ()
Date: July 29, 2016 09:05

Father Ted
swiss
franzk

Like the idea as well. Unless BV gotta read tru' it all, to check if someone is breaking the law (and he or someone might have to do it). As for Stones. We only need the Talk, Tickets and Hot Stuff, me think.

TE
Oslo

Date: July 29, 2016 09:19

Any threads and forum need moderation by real people. Otherwise they will be like my lawn after two months on the tour. The nature takes over everything. People are not always nice to each other on Internet, that is the problem. Too much negativity, too much hate, too many fights. I have said it 1,000 times. Even if only one percent is hate people and they spam us it is still several hundred because there are tens of thousand on IORR posting.

So I simply do not have time to moderate the whole world, and I still want to keep some of the 24 hours per day to other tasks than IORR. That is why IORR will always mainly be Stones-related. There may be off topic posts, but they can't be in endless volumes. And they need to be here, where I and you and we all see them, not in some backyard where people can say I hate this and I hate that and I will kick your balls and you ar stupid and Donald is better than Putin and Putin is better than me or you and so and so and so and so on and on and on and on... The world is not perfect, unfortunately, and these days any person with and wihouth empathy are able to post and publish with a split second in time.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-29 10:10 by bv.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: July 29, 2016 10:58

Well said. How hard is it to put OT in front of the subject when you post a new topic? Simple as that. Problem solved.

I don't think a sub group is necessary.I kinda like to read the OT stuff now and then. Is what Bjornulf said, makes it less nerdy and life isn't about one kind of topic after all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home