Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: You Can’t Catch Me
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 11, 2016 11:03

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

You Can’t Catch Me

Composers: Chuck Berry
Original performer: Chuck Berry (1955)
Recording date: 28 September 1964
Recording location: Regent Sound Studios, London
Producer: Andrew Oldham
Engineer: Bill Farley

First release on: 16th January 1965 The Rolling Stones LP ‘No. 2’
Label: Decca LK 4661

Line Up:
Vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards & Brian Jones
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts

You Can’t Catch Me

I bought a brand new airmobile
It was custom made, it was a Flight DeVille
With a powerful motor and some hideaway wings
Push in on the button and you can hear her sing

Now you can't catch me
No, baby, you can't catch me
Cause if you get too close
You know I'm gone like a cool breeze

New Jersey Turnpike in the wee wee hours
I was rolling slowly 'cause of drizzling showers
Here come a flat-top, he was moving up with me
Then come sailing goodbye in a little old souped-up Mini

I put my foot in my tank and I begin to roll
Moaning sirens, it was a state patrol
So I get out my wings and then I blew my horn
Bye bye New Jersey, I've become airborne

Now you can't catch me

Flying with my baby last Saturday night
Weren't no gray cloud floating in sight
Big full moon shining up above
Cuddle up, honey, be my love

Sweetest little thing that I ever seen
I'm going to name you Maybellene
Finding all the beams set on flight control
Radio tuned to rock & roll

Two, three hours passing by
Altitude dropped to 505
Fuel consumption way too fast
Let's get on home before we run out of gas

Now you can't catch me

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-18 09:41 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: You Can’t Catch Me (New)
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 11, 2016 11:06

Just listen to those guitars - that confidence - that rolllllll
That must be the greatest rock & roll band in the world. Glorious stuff!

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 11, 2016 11:14

The Rolling Stones are the only band that consistently can play any song from Chuck Berry and sound at least equally good and often even better.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2016 11:53

I don't think too many bands ever outdid Chuck Berry with versions of his songs but here is one prime example. Just listen to this and marvel.

It's one of their greatest cover versions and from the get go they create a vibe that you are actually sitting in the passenger seat listening to Mick as he recants just how wonderful his powerful motor is and what its capable of achieving on that New Jersey Turnpike.

And my, how the music does roll - from side to side just like that Airmobile as we're taken on a journey into the heart of rock'n'roll.

People always talk about Keith and Ronnie's guitar weaving but the origins of that magical, musical interaction was born 10 years before with Brian. People often forget that but listen here to how those twin guitars interlock and propel this song to that incredible Charlie backbeat.

Was there ever a better guitar band in the 60s - one that achieved the perfect dance rhythms that Keith and Brian created? I don't think so and the evidence of that is all here on this magnificent song.

And I never noticed this before but is this where the 505 from Flight 505 might have been borrowed from? I think so.

Btw - You Can't Catch Me is also the basis for The Stooges equally incredible track, 1970.

Date: July 11, 2016 12:02

Silver Dagger
I don't think too many bands ever outdid Chuck Berry with versions of his songs but here is one prime example. Just listen to this and marvel.

It's one of their greatest cover versions and from the get go they create a vibe that you are actually sitting in the passenger seat listening to Mick as he recants just how wonderful his powerful motor is and what its capable of achieving on that New Jersey Turnpike.

And my, how the music does roll - from side to side just like that Airmobile as we're taken on a journey into the heart of rock'n'roll.

People always talk about Keith and Ronnie's guitar weaving but the origins of that magical, musical interaction was born 10 years before with Brian. People often forget that but listen here to how those twin guitars interlock and propel this song to that incredible Charlie backbeat.

Was there ever a better guitar band in the 60s - one that achieved the perfect dance rhythms that Keith and Brian created? I don't think so and the evidence of that is all here on this magnificent song.

And I never noticed this before but is this where the 505 from Flight 505 might have been borrowed from? I think so.

Btw - You Can't Catch Me is also the basis for The Stooges equally incredible track, 1970.

thumbs up

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 11, 2016 12:54

A brilliant cover, bursting at the seams with confidence and energy, that far outpaces the original. Keith said it best: “It has a fantastic heavy beat which builds up like a locomotive coming up behind you.” Marvelous stuff.

Drew

Date: July 11, 2016 13:14

Silver Dagger

Agree completely .... terrific post, Mike.smiling bouncing smiley

Drew

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 11, 2016 14:19

One of those songs that make The Rolling Stones Now! one of my all time favorite albums.
I think Bill playing is spectacular too. Shows where the man comes from (skittle), and
where he was going (rock).

BTW, Chuck Berry's performance of this song in Rock, Rock, Rock! from 1956 is entertaining
in many meanings of the word too.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 11, 2016 14:47

I am more impressed with Bill and Charlie than Keith and Brian on that one. The rhythm section is really tight and carries the tune. very special mention for Bill Wyman; he sounds like he slap bass the strings an accoustic upright bass. Great music.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2016 15:53

drewmaster
Silver Dagger

Agree completely .... terrific post, Mike.smiling bouncing smiley

Drew

Thanks Drew and Palace.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 11, 2016 17:22

I love the Stones and their personalities & passion are of course very present here.
However to make this a comparison with Chuck's original, steeped with Johnny Johnson's key brilliance that lifted and co-created Berry's great impact with this in 1956,
is ill advised as there is no fair comparison for lots of reasons imo.
If you made it a comparison in front of Keith, who worked so hard to find Johnny and get him recognized and give him a show-case along with Chuck, he'd snatch that Berry record in a second I think.
1956 vs 1964? Chuck kind of changed the world in 1956. Elvis sure knew it and his Promised Land beats almost anything else that's ever been recorded haha...but really! ohhh comparisons are fun I guess.
Naw Chuck and Johnny would have to win such an imagined match-up here.
However.....if Stu had played on this track, all bet would be off...
I still love The Stones version and it's easy to get excited about.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2016 19:12

It's certainly not a bad cover, but they don't really do anything different, or improve upon the original. Around and Around was really rough and the Stones 'fixed' it. You Can't Catch Me is already a pretty damn good recording. This cover isn't a clunker like Under The Boardwalk or My Girl, so let's call it a draw.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 11, 2016 19:29

Nice cover tune, but Chuck's original is far superior.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 11, 2016 20:09

I don't know if the old Alan Freed movie from '56 ever was released in UK back then but maybe. "Rock Rock Rock"
It was a quickie cheapy indie thing that I don't think was even seen much in America either, tho it's gained historical significance, along with some others of the same ilk featuring Little Richard and others.
There was a lot going on in '56.
Keith would have been around 13 and Brian around 15 years of age. It's fun to think of this song, or what seeing this performance would have stirred in them, all of them I guess, surely including Stu.
Mick and Keith already knew each other.
Come to think of it, Brian being almost 2 years older must have directly effected all their early relationships, that's a huge amount of age difference at this age.
In high school one would be a sophomore and the other a graduating senior, but I ramble on...ha Bill would have been 20 and already done two years in the air force.

Many original Stones fans were probably around 13 when the first Stones records started to hit radio.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 11, 2016 20:25

Bill talks about seeing Rock Rock Rock in some film interview, and in Rolling with
He said that when Chuck appeared the audience started laughing - they thought it was a comedy performance.
(Well, You Can't Catch Me was presented in a humourous way, so it's not like they were totally off base.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-11 20:26 by with sssoul.

Date: July 11, 2016 21:33

Lennon's version shows the direct line from this track to "Come Together".

[www.youtube.com]

(And what a wonderful version indeed!!)

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-11 21:51 by drewmaster.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: July 11, 2016 22:08

As chance would have it I've been listening repeatedly to Berry's original in the past weeks, and have been struck by how great — intelligent, humorous and well-composed — the lyrics are and how much juice Berry and his band squeezes out of that little guitar lick (my associations, Stones-wise, go to Turd on the Run). And all this in 1956! Respect.

The other thing that struck me was how (to use with sssoul's word) confident the Stones must have been to cover this song. Again, respect.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 12, 2016 00:18

NICOS

Thanks NICOS. I'd like to suggest, if not a big deal, that you include the 'track talk index' link for all track talk songs.

I can never seem to find that when I want it! (I know, I should have it bookmarked) .... If that link was there, and we want to do a search on a Track Talk, it wouldn't matter if we didn't find the specific track that we were looking for right away, as we would be able to get to the link from any Track Talk.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 12, 2016 00:50

LeonidP
NICOS

Thanks NICOS. I'd like to suggest, if not a big deal, that you include the 'track talk index' link for all track talk songs.

I can never seem to find that when I want it! (I know, I should have it bookmarked) .... If that link was there, and we want to do a search on a Track Talk, it wouldn't matter if we didn't find the specific track that we were looking for right away, as we would be able to get to the link from any Track Talk.

You'll find it on the Home Page in the "Forum links of interest".
Index to Rene's Track Talks

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 12, 2016 14:55

Anyone know what that delightful "popping" sound is that is sprinkled through this track? It's most noticeable at 2:43 after Mick says "tuned" in the "Radio tuned to rock & roll" line.

It's a subtle thing but somehow it really adds to the song's charm. I've always thought of it as some kind of popping noise from the airmobile's engine being revved up so high.

Drew

Date: July 12, 2016 15:49

Deltics
LeonidP
NICOS

I see it, thanks!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 12, 2016 19:04

Eminently listenable but so too is Down The Road Apiece, Route 66, Around and Around etc. and when I listen to those songs one after the other I'm slightly underwhelmed. Yeah it's great stuff, historically very important and all, but not nearly as stunning as the original tunes that would come a few years later.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 12, 2016 19:28

"Down the Road Apiece" and (much later, on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out) "Little Queenie" are my two favourite Chuck Berry covers from the Stones. Like I said, the Stones always played Berry very well, but sometimes they really excelled.

Date: July 12, 2016 20:48

matxil
"Down the Road Apiece" and (much later, on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out) "Little Queenie" are my two favourite Chuck Berry covers from the Stones. Like I said, the Stones always played Berry very well, but sometimes they really excelled.

Both great ones, but I think I go w/ Let It Rock, from '78 tour.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 12, 2016 20:48

LeonidP
Deltics
LeonidP
NICOS

I see it, thanks!

that you include the 'track talk index' link for all track talk songs

I will do that as I have the problem my self finding it........

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 12, 2016 23:44

drewmaster
Anyone know what that delightful "popping" sound is that is sprinkled through this track? It's most noticeable at 2:43 after Mick says "tuned" in the "Radio tuned to rock & roll" line.

It's a subtle thing but somehow it really adds to the song's charm. I've always thought of it as some kind of popping noise from the airmobile's engine being revved up so high.

Drew

Willie Dixon's stand up bass slapping percussion?

Date: July 16, 2016 18:47

24FPS
drewmaster

Drew

Willie Dixon's stand up bass slapping percussion?

I thunk drewmaster is talking about another sound, than the clacking which is prominent throughout the entire song, and sounds like Charlie tapping on hardware somewhere. That "Pop' is heavily reverbed, and pretty much in the background. that's a odd one: it sounds like a woodblock with a lot of f/x on it. At 3:12 there is (Im pretty sure) that sound again, but this time it is way closer to a sound from Charlie's tom. Since in those days they would not have used a track for such rare percussion, it has got to be coming from the band that is playing. Charlie's drums have a good bit of reverb on them; it could be that every once in a while he is also hitting the side of floor tom e.g. - since he is already busy on the sides of drums.
This is an interesting question.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 16, 2016 19:09

The Stones are the best cover band of all time. For the most part they make the song different from the original artists version sometimes surpassing, sometimes on par, sometimes okay and once in a while subpar (My Girl comes to mind). They play the Berry songs really well. Keith and Brian really understood how to play these songs and they were always locked in tight. They also do Motown really well with the exception of the above mentioned. But the Berry covers are the best!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 16, 2016 19:32

slew
The Stones are the best cover band of all time. For the most part they make the song different from the original artists version sometimes surpassing, sometimes on par, sometimes okay and once in a while subpar (My Girl comes to mind). They play the Berry songs really well. Keith and Brian really understood how to play these songs and they were always locked in tight. They also do Motown really well with the exception of the above mentioned. But the Berry covers are the best!

Maybe My Girl is a (slight bit) subpar, but still...I like it. Possibly because it fits so well on Stone Age, a sampler I dearly loved because it had a few songs on it that were unheard in Europe at the time it came out.

Date: July 16, 2016 19:36

alimente
slew

Maybe My Girl is a (slight bit) subpar, but still...I like it. Possibly because it fits so well on Stone Age, a sampler I dearly loved because it had a few songs on it that were unheard in Europe at the time it came out.

+1

I never quite understood what was wrong with My Girl.

Suzie Q is a poor cover, My Girl is quite good, imo.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home