Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: RIP Scotty Moore
Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 29, 2016 20:40

R.I.P

HMN

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2016 00:28

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 30, 2016 01:23

Always funny I you hear people talking about radio Luxembourg.............I remember that I connected the antenna of my transistor radio to my metal bed...........waiting for a Stones song

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 30, 2016 03:54

“It is with great sadness we say goodbye to Scotty Moore, my first inspiration.
The work he performed on those incredible early Elvis tracks stays with me forever.
Farewell old friend.“ - Keith

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: June 30, 2016 03:55

R.I.P Scotty Moore, sad,sad,sad, left us with great music.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 30, 2016 04:18

The Starlite Wranglers

Two weeks before Scotty recorded with Elvis he cut two tracks
with his first band the The Starlite Wranglers with Doug Poindexter out front.... guitar already in place

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: June 30, 2016 08:44

RIP, Scotty. Thanks for everything!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 30, 2016 11:03

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 30, 2016 13:15

Scotty on the 68 comeback special is amazing. He truly complimented Elvis' sound, even on the awful films of the 60s.

I always maintain that Elvis was blessed with three great guitarists; Scotty, Reggie Young on the 69 sessions in Memphis, and James Burton.

Scotty also turned up on a Jerry Lee Lewis session at Sun in 1962, and the two almost came to blows, which was amazing given Scotty's calm character.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 30, 2016 17:57

swiss
Hadn't heard or seen this in awhile - RIP Scotty.

Ah, that was brilliant fun, thanks Swiss! Nice to see Keith with his hero!

Rockeee, that nice video of Keith on Scotty - same session, track playing in the background! Lovely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-30 18:22 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: June 30, 2016 22:03

youtube ...

sun 202...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 28, 2016 10:12

Keith Richards on Scotty Moore: 'He Was My Hero'

Elvis' iconic Fifties guitarist is remembered by one of his greatest fans

Keith Richards remembers his guitar "hero," late Elvis Presley sideman Scotty Moore. From Left: Raphael Dias/Getty ; Michael Ochs/Getty

By Keith Richards

A deep love of the blues united the great British rock guitarists who came of age in the Sixties, but for some, Scotty Moore – best known as Elvis' right-hand man on era-defining classics as "Jailhouse Rock" and "Heartbreak Hotel" – was every bit as influential. Keith Richards in particular wrote in Life that "Scotty Moore was my icon." Recently, in the wake of Moore's death at age 84, Richards spoke to Rolling Stone about his early idol.

Elvis would not have been Elvis without Scotty Moore. When I was a kid, after the BBC would shut off, another station would come on, called Radio Luxembourg. It had terrible reception – I'd be carrying my radio all around my room. That's how I heard "Heartbreak Hotel." I was an acoustic player, lurking in the folk area. But that's when I knew I wanted to go electric.

Scotty Moore was my hero. There's a little jazz in his playing, some great country licks and a grounding in the blues as well. It's never been duplicated. I can't copy it. The closest I came was tracks like "Parachute Woman," where I fooled around with echoes – those early Elvis recordings got me interested in the possibility of the studio. The first one I got had some of the Sun stuff: "Baby Let's Play House," "Milkcow Blues Boogie." But "Mystery Train" is the apex. It's just Bill Black on bass, Elvis on acoustic, and Scotty. No drums. And it's just the most amazingly huge sound. Elvis didn't age as well as he should have, but at 19, 20 years old, it was mind-boggling. There's a run-down that Scotty does on several cuts, like "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone," which I've never figured out. When I'd ask Scotty, he'd just give me a sly grin.

All we really know about Scotty are those relatively few tracks. He stopped recording with Elvis in the early Sixties, though he did return for the '68 special. I was hoping they would pick up the thread together, but it didn't happen. He was probably still getting paid scale – that band got paid scale for Jailhouse Rock and everything. If you were working with the Colonel, good luck.

Scotty's two big influences were Les Paul and Chet Atkins, the innovators of the damned thing. He was a gentle, unassuming guy. He liked his scotch – they didn't call him Scotty for nothing. In 1996, I went up to Woodstock to do a session at Levon Helm's barn with Levon, Scotty and Elvis' drummer D.J. Fontana. I've gotten used to playing with my heroes – I played with Little Richard in his dressing room when I was 19, thinking, "This'll do!" – but this was the crème de la crème. It was a session of good old boys. There was plenty of whiskey that day. There will never be another Scotty Moore.

As told to Patrick Doyle

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 28, 2016 14:59

Thank you Cristiano. Keith's almost made me cry again.
Love and light to Scotty Moore - love and light, and thanks and praises.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: August 3, 2016 19:35

Listen to our latest episode of 'Rolling Stone Music Now' podcast about Keith Richards' first guitar hero, Elvis Presley guitarist Scotty Moore. or check it out below

[www.rollingstone.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home