Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: R.I.P. Muhammad Ali
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 4, 2016 23:38

“I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be...I'm free...to be what I want.”...-...Muhammad Ali,...The Greatest

The Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band In The World, The Rolling Stones..........

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 00:27 by schillid.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 5, 2016 02:01

Good ole Muhammad Ali... the memories... take me back to my innocent age...
the age of Muhammad Ali talking, Evel Knievel talking, Howard Cosell talking, Johnny Carson talking and all the things going on in the world... when I was just a kid looking at them/it all having really no idea what to make of any of them/it... but they/it all added to what I grew up to make of things...

RIP Muhammad Ali

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 5, 2016 03:27

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 5, 2016 04:00

One of my earliest and most surreal memories of professional boxing; the fictional 1969 "super fight" between the exiled Ali, and the long-retired, toupee-wearing, 45-year-old Rocky Marciano.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-05 05:18 by tatters.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: June 5, 2016 06:20

great post to you all.......thank you be well always

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 5, 2016 07:24

“If the measure of greatness is to gladden the heart of every human being on the face of the earth, then he truly was the greatest. In every way he was the bravest, the kindest and the most excellent of men.”
Bob Dylan

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:13

hopkins
“If the measure of greatness is to gladden the heart of every human being on the face of the earth, then he truly was the greatest. In every way he was the bravest, the kindest and the most excellent of men.”
Bob Dylan

fantastic quote, thank you.

Muhammad Ali is one of the bravest American public figures of the last 100 years.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: June 5, 2016 11:17

THE greatest boxing champion ever......The world is a sadder place without him.

Rest in Peace Muhammad Ali

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 6, 2016 00:57

STANLOVE, in response to your previous post ( and reply to mine): Ali must have thought if he went to Vietnam he would see ACTIVE DUTY/FIGHTING because in intrviews I've heard him say " I will not KILL those people, fight this war for this country when my people are enslaved..." that is not a direct quote but close enough. The gist of it is he DID say on many occasions when defending his decision not to serve in the armed forces, that he would not KILL those people...for a cause he did NOT believe in especially. PLUS he was a Muslum and it was against his religion. I did admire him for sticking with his beliefs. He lost a lot in doing so.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 6, 2016 01:14

Clay was drafted but didn't score high enough to make it for military service. But his score made it for the second draft since the army had lowered the admission requirements.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 6, 2016 01:56

tatters
One of my earliest and most surreal memories of professional boxing; the fictional 1969 "super fight" between the exiled Ali, and the long-retired, toupee-wearing, 45-year-old Rocky Marciano.

[en.wikipedia.org]

For sure Rocky Marciano would have make a great chance............... I don't thing the dancing of Ali wouldn't have impressed him......Marciano's attacks were short but fast.................but we never will know.

We lost a great boxer indeed....although I never was a fan of his attitude and playing...........they only highlight for me is when he got mad and starts to boxing..................

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: June 6, 2016 02:02

I think his attitude and playing helped change the world a little bit.
Some things and people and TV shows and movies change the world, help tick it forward a little further, some have more of an impact than others... and I think Mr Ali ticked forward our attitudes and sarcasm and salesmanship and showmanship and the way we give people "trouble" with a wink and a nod.

I saw that Johnny Carson rerun again last night and it was pretty funny the way Mr Ali was giving Johnny "trouble" giving Johnny the "business"... and Johnny loved it... it was funny.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 6, 2016 05:35

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 6, 2016 05:53

I LOVE the Dylan quote.

Are you all certain that he wrote this about Muhammad Ali?

The New York Times this morning printed a brilliant article by
Ishmael Reed about Ali.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 6, 2016 06:08

stonesrule
I LOVE the Dylan quote.

Ishmael Reed about Ali.

Unless it was written by somebody else, it's on Dylan's website: [bobdylan.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 6, 2016 06:09

stonesrule
I LOVE the Dylan quote.

Ishmael Reed about Ali.

From Dylan's official site:

Bob Dylan on Muhammad Ali

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 6, 2016 08:07

stonesrule
I LOVE the Dylan quote.

Ishmael Reed about Ali.

Yes I'm certain. Caught it early and came right here with it.
What an incredible homage!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-06 08:40 by hopkins.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 6, 2016 10:33

mickschix
STANLOVE, in response to your previous post ( and reply to mine): Ali must have thought if he went to Vietnam he would see ACTIVE DUTY/FIGHTING because in intrviews I've heard him say " I will not KILL those people, fight this war for this country when my people are enslaved..." that is not a direct quote but close enough. The gist of it is he DID say on many occasions when defending his decision not to serve in the armed forces, that he would not KILL those people...for a cause he did NOT believe in especially. PLUS he was a Muslum and it was against his religion. I did admire him for sticking with his beliefs. He lost a lot in doing so.

100% correct. Indeed, the United State Supreme Court found this to be true by an unanimous decision, 8-0. Ali spent 3 years having his case heard, during which time he was not allowed to box and was stripped of his title.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 6, 2016 20:36

you'd have to had been around back then to even begin to understand the impact of Ali-

beyond the politics and showmanship there was an unbelievable list of heavyweight wars he was involved in.
they don't have fights like that anymore,a title fight then was 15 rounds,those last 3 rounds were known as "the championship rounds" those 3 rounds were where champions were made-dead tired,out of breath,beat to a pulp and arms that felt like they weighed a ton.and guess what Joe Frazier is across from you,and he's really pissed off.
after round 12 todays fighters are in the locker room,meaning many of Ali's non-title fights would be considered a championship bout here in 2016.

and those fights were some serious friggin battles,Ernie Shavers[picture a heavyweight Marvin Hagler] Ken Norton,fights that get lost in time and forgotten but were battles as epic as any.
Just like the old saying"leave it all on the field"-Ali left it all in the ring.he paid a price but when you look at the nut's and bolts of his career he really was the greatest of all time.

Date: June 6, 2016 20:52

To be honest, I never liked those Ali 15 rounders. That's not what professional boxing is about. It's about knocking your opponent out. Like in the old days, without gloves. Ingo once said that a good clean knockout is better than the constant beating and multiple hits on body and head. Of course Ali, like Floyd and Ingo (and numerous other boxers) suffered from dementia pugilistica (CTBI-B or CTE) in the end.

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: June 6, 2016 20:53

Always remember growing up watching his fights. A wonderful man and great athlete RIP Ali.

John Nicholls

Date: June 6, 2016 21:18

lem motlow
you'd have to had been around back then to even begin to understand the impact of Ali-

beyond the politics and showmanship there was an unbelievable list of heavyweight wars he was involved in.
they don't have fights like that anymore,a title fight then was 15 rounds,those last 3 rounds were known as "the championship rounds" those 3 rounds were where champions were made-dead tired,out of breath,beat to a pulp and arms that felt like they weighed a ton.and guess what Joe Frazier is across from you,and he's really pissed off.
after round 12 todays fighters are in the locker room,meaning many of Ali's non-title fights would be considered a championship bout here in 2016.

and those fights were some serious friggin battles, Ernie Shavers [picture a heavyweight Marvin Hagler] Ken Norton,fights that get lost in time and forgotten but were battles as epic as any.
Just like the old saying"leave it all on the field"-Ali left it all in the ring.he paid a price but when you look at the nut's and bolts of his career he really was the greatest of all time.

I was beginning to wonder when someone was going to post some knowledgeable comments about Ali's actual career in the ring. Yes, I agree with you on all of these points. I'd forgotten about that Ernie Shavers fight. He probably hit Ali harder than anyone.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-06 21:23 by tatters.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 6, 2016 21:32

Agree about Shaver. ..Ali said ones he had thè hardest punch. .

Date: June 6, 2016 22:36

Some highlights of the 1977 Ali vs Shavers fight. Ernie lands some really big bombs, but can never really put two of them together in a combination.

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-06 22:51 by tatters.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 6, 2016 22:45

The last pose . . .

Photo by Zenon Texeira, 2016

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-06 22:46 by camper88.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 6, 2016 22:52

In Cynthia Lennon's memoir A Twist of Lennon she said John was furious after the Beatles/Ali encounter because John thought Ali was such a brat.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 6, 2016 23:39

mickschix

I don't believe there is anyway Ali could have thought he was going to see action. He had all kinds of people in his ear. I believe he made a stand on pricipal. and said he had nothing against the VietCong.

If Ali though he was actually going to fight then people need to stop talking about how brave he was and how he risked it all. Anyone who went to Vietnam risked alot more then Ali did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-06-07 01:19 by stanlove.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 7, 2016 01:02

Stoneage
To be honest, I never liked those Ali 15 rounders. That's not what professional boxing is about. It's about knocking your opponent out. Like in the old days, without gloves. Ingo once said that a good clean knockout is better than the constant beating and multiple hits on body and head. Of course Ali, like Floyd and Ingo (and numerous other boxers) suffered from dementia pugilistica (CTBI-B or CTE) in the end.

i agree and disagree-

the battle sometimes isn't about getting the knockout but a test of will.Ali- Frazier 3 is one of the best fights in the history of the sport because both men battered each other over 14 rounds until Fraziers corner threw in the towel between the 14th and 15th round..it was later revealed that Angelo was gonna throw in the towel to keep Ali from taking more punishment but Eddie Futch , Smokin Joes trainer just did it first.it was that close,the Thrilla in Manila .

just as sugar ray won a 14th round knockout over Tommy Hearns. after 12 rounds what would've been an easy points victory for Hearns became an insane comeback by sugar ray,one eye closed and fighting on heart and instinct Leonard somehow finished the Hitman in a breathtaking display of courage.

why i agree with you-those type of battles are a moment in time that should be left in the past.i was unfortunate to have seen the Doo Koo Kim/Ray Mancini fight that changed the game from 15 to 12 rounds.
the fight was a brutal war in which boom boom Mancini battered the outmatched south Korean who had the heart of a lion and wouldn't go down.ray got a 14th round knockout but Kim lapsed into a coma and died after the fight.
his mother flew to America to see her son before he died and later killed herself because of the grief.the referee in the fight Richard Green also commited suicide sometime later. Boom Boom Mancini was never the same fighter or person.myself and the others watching the fight,cheering on a bout where a young man lost his life felt shame-it was terrible.

so we raise a glass to the warriors but as Keith Richards said[after Altamont]"i don't demand human sacrifice at this stage of the game"

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 7, 2016 01:16

Stoneage

I thought that past 1971 Ali was a very boring fighters except for the Foreman fight. His fights were so full of non fighting and game playing. I didn't enjoy his fights at all when he got older.

Date: June 7, 2016 01:46

I agree, stanlove. The rope-a-dope period was, in hindsight, terrible. And I couldn't understand how he won some of them. I got the feeling some of those matches were fixed.
I think Ali suffered from early signs of Parkinson's already in the mid-seventies (and even before).

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home