Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Steve Jones' autobiography
Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: May 27, 2016 18:16

As many of you know, it has officially been confirmed that Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones will release his autobiography, Lonely Boy, first in the UK in November, with future worldwide release dates to be confirmed. The 352-page book promises to talk about his troubled childhood, his history of thievery, his salvation with the Sex Pistols and his vantage point of their unique placement in music history, and his wilderness years of alcohol, heroin and sex addiction.

Obviously, while the book will talk a lot about all of these, there are things not explicitly stated to be talked about that I very much hope will be addressed. These things include: his first attempt at post-Pistols fame with The Professionals, his years as a guitar hero for hire for the likes of Andy Taylor and Iggy Pop, his solo albums Mercy and Fire And Gasoline, the full story behind the snuffed-out band Fantasy 7, the unique grouping that was the Neurotic Outsiders, his work as a producer for bands such as Buckcherry, and the various Pistols reunions (and maybe a brief retort about Lydon's poking fun at his obvious weight gain). Do you think those will be addressed?

Re: OT: Steve Jones' autobiography
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 27, 2016 18:27

He looks like a schoolboy besides Johnny Thunders...I'll hit 'Life' for the second time instead...

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-27 18:30 by Come On.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 27, 2016 21:20

I like what he did with Matt Sorum and Duff when they pklayed in the supergroup Neurotic Outsiders, it was during 1996.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: May 27, 2016 22:07

Sex addiction !??!!?!! WtF

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 27, 2016 22:39

What was the famous line he gave Megadeth when they asked him to play on their (putrid) cover of Anarchy: "I'll do it for 50 bucks and some suction."

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 27, 2016 22:51

andrewm
What was the famous line he gave Megadeth when they asked him to play on their (putrid) cover of Anarchy: "I'll do it for 50 bucks and some suction."

Megadeth's cover has enough Mustaine menace to carry it off though, far more incendiary than Metallica's punk covers. Mustaine seemed genuinely unhinged at the time, out of his mind on crazy amounts of drugs and flawed as it is, the album from 1988 is visceral because of Mustaine's unpredictability. Some tracks from it are among the best he's ever written; and at his best, his very best, his stuff was so more more compelling than the majority of his peers in that community. His comeback over the last decade is extraordinary; the January 2016 release of 'Dystopia' garnered amazing reviews and is a seriously good album.

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: May 27, 2016 23:02

Toxic34
As many of you know, it has officially been confirmed that Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones will release his autobiography, Lonely Boy, first in the UK in November, with future worldwide release dates to be confirmed. The 352-page book promises to talk about his troubled childhood, his history of thievery, his salvation with the Sex Pistols and his vantage point of their unique placement in music history, and his wilderness years of alcohol, heroin and sex addiction.

Obviously, while the book will talk a lot about all of these, there are things not explicitly stated to be talked about that I very much hope will be addressed. These things include: his first attempt at post-Pistols fame with The Professionals, his years as a guitar hero for hire for the likes of Andy Taylor and Iggy Pop, his solo albums Mercy and Fire And Gasoline, the full story behind the snuffed-out band Fantasy 7, the unique grouping that was the Neurotic Outsiders, his work as a producer for bands such as Buckcherry, and the various Pistols reunions (and maybe a brief retort about Lydon's poking fun at his obvious weight gain). Do you think those will be addressed?

Here's a great interview with Steve from 2012 that might give us an idea of what could be in the book:

[www.youtube.com]

Here's a good interview with Chris Spedding talking about the Sex Pistols and praising Steve's guitar skills (from 2:45):

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 27, 2016 23:24

I try and listen to Jonesy’s Jukebox on the radio every day - he's smart and funny with plenty of great music, and sometimes he plays in the studio live.
And it's not all punk - far from it. The other day he played Jethro Tull's 'Minstrel in the Gallery' and raved about it for almost five minutes. To paraphrase: "How can someone write such a great song like that? I imagine Ian Anderson standing in front of his mirror wearing tights and saying to himself 'right then, I am a minstrel in the gallery...I think I'll write an epic rock song about it'". cool smiley
Looking forward to his book. thumbs up

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 27, 2016 23:55

^ i heard that Jethro Tull bit, and that's a pretty accurate summation. He is the only reason to tune in to KLOS anymore, or any radio station for that matter. Steve has talked about his rough childhood before, and I imagine the book will be pretty fascinating.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 28, 2016 00:31

Johnny has suggested he's almost illiterate so hopefully he got a good co-writer. I think he's a great rock rhythm guitarist. He's a rare one who can play a straight chord (no riff) and it sounds like no one else. Billy Idol said in his memoir he saw Jones play on a borrowed guitar and amp and his sound was still there: "It must be in his fingers."

I liked Jones's interview on Kevin Pollak's Chat Show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-28 00:34 by Title5Take1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home