Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Top 10 Bands That Should Stop Writing New Music
Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: May 26, 2016 09:52

Hmmmm...

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Top 10 Bands That Should Stop Writing New Music
Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 26, 2016 10:59

Nobody should ever stop writing new music.

Nor should anybody be put to a stop...

The world would be a much, mĂșch better place if we ALL would start writing music to the best of our abilities (instead of pursuing more trivial goals like most of us do today...)

- although, watching this video, I sometimes thought to myself, "We would have been better off if THESE guys wouldn't have writen ANY music AT ALL..."

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 26, 2016 11:08

I would suggest that bands that do not produce new music should stop playin live the same warhorses over and over again

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2016 11:43

It has been nearly forty years since the stones wrote a great song.

Date: May 26, 2016 11:57

KeithNacho
I would suggest that bands that do not produce new music should stop playin live the same warhorses over and over again

I agree in parts. I also think that one reason of being a band is to be creative and to produce new music, unless it's a Top 40 covers band. On the other hand, if a band is able to fill huge arenas and stadiums with playing the same old songs over and over and over and making millions with it and their fans are happy with it, why not? It's a pretty easy way to make a shitload of money.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: May 26, 2016 13:44

My own point of view is that i'm not very happy with this strategy. IMHO.
I'd appreciatte some new music
I liked ABB, it is not a masterpiece, but i love it as well as CYH

Date: May 26, 2016 13:54

KeithNacho
My own point of view is that [...]

...I'm quite sure I agree with you; although I don't know what "CYH" is...?!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 26, 2016 13:59

Hansman
KeithNacho

I agree in parts. I also think that one reason of being a band is to be creative and to produce new music, unless it's a Top 40 covers band. On the other hand, if a band is able to fill huge arenas and stadiums with playing the same old songs over and over and over and making millions with it and their fans are happy with it, why not? It's a pretty easy way to make a shitload of money.

We have to realistic. Any artist's well will start to run dry after awhile. That doesn't mean they can't produce anything new, but you have to have realistic expectations. The Stones can still write, I'm sure - but nobody expects them to write another Sympathy For The Devil. Nobody can expect Dylan to make another Blood On The Tracks. Doesn't mean they should stop. Just means we should accept what is for what is...if that makes any sense...

Date: May 26, 2016 14:18

HonkeyTonkFlash
Hansman
KeithNacho

We have to realistic. Any artist's well will start to run dry after awhile. That doesn't mean they can't produce anything new, but you have to have realistic expectations. The Stones can still write, I'm sure - but nobody expects them to write another Sympathy For The Devil. Nobody can expect Dylan to make another Blood On The Tracks. Doesn't mean they should stop. Just means we should accept what is for what is...if that makes any sense...

I don't expect the Stones to write another SFTD or Gimme Shelter...but I'm still hoping. I do so for more than 30 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-26 15:31 by Hansman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 26, 2016 14:36

Hmm their latest songs like 'Doom and Gloom' isn't bad...grinning smiley

Talking bands that should stop Writing Music I got plenty of suggestions but my delicacy forbids me...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: May 26, 2016 17:53

Turner68

No it isn't.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: May 26, 2016 18:20

bobo
Turner68

No it isn't.

Correct. More like 33 years.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 26, 2016 18:36

On a different (but similar) note - Cheap Trick's new album is on par with their Big 4 - In Color, Heaven Tonight, Budokan, Dream Police

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 26, 2016 18:37

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 26, 2016 18:44

Turner68

They released a great song in 2012. A gem, a classic.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 26, 2016 19:48

HonkeyTonkFlash
Hansman
KeithNacho

I have never understood why artists like Dylan or the Stones release crap. I mean when they record crap they themselves must know that. Why release it?

Get together and see what you can some up with and if its crap don't bother and if you come up with something thats pretty good then release it.

I saw Jagger asked once why artists when they get older lose the ability to write classics. he denied that it was true and said that its just a perception that his 60s and 70s stuff are classics while his newer stuff is not and it comes from things like radio play and being the in thing at the time.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 26, 2016 20:22

stanlove

I have never understood why artists like Dylan or the Stones release crap. I mean when they record crap they themselves must know that. Why release it?

Get together and see what you can some up with and if its crap don't bother and if you come up with something thats pretty good then release it.

I saw Jagger asked once why artists when they get older lose the ability to write classics. he denied that it was true and said that its just a perception that his 60s and 70s stuff are classics while his newer stuff is not and it comes from things like radio play and being the in thing at the time.

yeah,in other words he was in total denial.plus,by now these guys have spent most of their lives surrounded by people who tell them how great they are and how everything they do is fantastic.

you even see some of the fans who think the crap is good,that if mick or keith is involved it's gotta be something worthwhile.sadly,if you add up their solo records and the stones output from 81 on you get alot of music that is far from great.

but you're right i can't understand it either,you want to ask them-"you can't hear that?"

Date: May 26, 2016 21:00

lem motlow
stanlove

yeah,in other words he was in total denial.plus,by now these guys have spent most of their lives surrounded by people who tell them how great they are and how everything they do is fantastic.

you even see some of the fans who think the crap is good,that if mick or keith is involved it's gotta be something worthwhile.sadly,if you add up their solo records and the stones output from 81 on you get alot of music that is far from great.

but you're right i can't understand it either,you want to ask them-"you can't hear that?"

I don't think it's total denial. It's true that much of the Stones output post-81 has not measured up to their golden era, but it's not total crap either. They've put out some very good songs that don't get enough credit for the very reasons Mick stated. They don't get played on the radio and they're not on the radar of the appropriate music-buying demographic. I know I'll get attacked for saying this but I still maintain that if A Bigger Bang was put out in, say - 1979, it would be thought of today about as highly as Some Girls or Emotional Rescue. Prepare to fire...

Date: May 26, 2016 21:23

streets of love-miss you

it wont be long-beast of burden

this place is empty-before they make me run

driving too fast-shattered

look what the cat dragged in-when the whip comes down

....i'll stop if you promise to put the bong down for awhile.

Date: May 26, 2016 21:58

lem motlow
streets of love-miss you

Ha Ha....but seriously, Rough Justice = When The Whip Comes Down
Oh No Not You Again = Respectable
....I'll stop...cough...cough....

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: May 26, 2016 22:14

lem motlow
stanlove

Are you saying Talk is Cheap is crap??? WOW ???????????

Date: May 26, 2016 23:20

umakmehrd
lem motlow
stanlove

Are you saying Talk is Cheap is crap??? WOW ???????????

Good point! Talk Is Cheap is great! So was a lot of stuff...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 26, 2016 23:29

lem motlow
streets of love-miss you

IMO, the rockers on ABB are better than those on Some Girls... Rain Fall Down is better than Miss You... plus the SG-Stones were A LOT younger... to pull out an album like ABB isnt a bad job for a bunch of musicians just pushing 60. Of course ABB could have been better as a 10-12-track-album. It is not a masterpiece but it beats VL and B2B everytime (and Crosseyed Heart too, btw).

Date: May 26, 2016 23:40

HMS
lem motlow
streets of love-miss you

IMO, the rockers on ABB are better than those on Some Girls... Rain Fall Down is better than Miss You... plus the SG-Stones were A LOT younger... to pull out an album like ABB isnt a bad job for a bunch of musicians just pushing 60. Of course ABB could have been better as a 10-12-track-album. It is not a masterpiece but it beats VL and B2B everytime (and Crosseyed Heart too, btw).

I don't always agree with you, HMS....But here I do! smileys with beer

Date: May 27, 2016 01:19

the difference is day and night.

those some girls songs have the wyman-watts-richards rhythm section rolling in full force with ronnie joining in,weaving and shifting off lead and rhythm with keith creating a song that moves and swings.
where mick taylor would play over it,ronnie is down it,mixing it up with keith.bill and charlie.

the bigger bang rockers are thin and disjointed.in oh no not you again and rough justice the bass is almost nonexistant,the rhythm behind the song doesn't propel it,it just sits there like someone running in place.

you guys are good posters who know music,i shouldn't have to point this shit out to you.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 27, 2016 09:47

NO band should stop writing new music if that's what they want to do. Why the heck should they? You may not like their new music, but that's a different point entirely.

(And if you're one of the bands in question, you hear:
a. Their new music isn't as good as their old music, they ought to quit
b. They just play their old music, I'm sick of the warhorses

so . . . )

Date: May 27, 2016 11:20

I agree with aquamarine; no band should quit writing new music.
I think what changes is the REASOn they will write. This seems to determine much of the quality, or relevance. In the video clip they showed 10 bands. I agree with several of the names. Metallica, U2, Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, all have really tanked.
But Weezer ? Who cares. Linkin Park? Really? When was the last time that name was uttered? In 2000? Bon Jovi? They should never even have written anything to begin with.
But I think what happens with many topnotch bands, is they just end up trying too hard. They quit listening to their internal compass; the one that got them there. They want to please fans that are out of their age range, the want to please ignorant label execs.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 27, 2016 11:37

Pearl Jam and Metallica should stop writing new music.
From the other hand Aerosmith must do a new and better album because their last one in horrible.

Date: May 27, 2016 12:40

Aquamarine
NO band should stop writing new music if that's what they want to do. Why the heck should they? You may not like their new music, but that's a different point entirely.

(And if you're one of the bands in question, you hear:
a. Their new music isn't as good as their old music, they ought to quit
b. They just play their old music, I'm sick of the warhorses

so . . . )

Obviously, some people can never be pleased....I remember hearing a friend bitch about going to see Elton back around 1986; "He did NEW songs! Who the hell wants to hear NEW songs??!!" Well...I would...

Date: May 27, 2016 18:13

RoughJusticeOnYa
KeithNacho
My own point of view is that [...]

...I'm quite sure I agree with you; although I don't know what "CYH" is...?!

...Anybody?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1636
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home