Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Track Talk: Worried About You
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:04

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Worried About You (version III)

Composers: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: January-February 1975, October-December 1980 & April-July 1981
Recording locations: Rolling Stones Mobile Unit, Rotterdam, Netherlands
..................................Pathé Marconi Studios, Paris, France;Mobile Unit, warehouse, Paris, France
..................................Atlantic Studios, Electric Ladyland Studios, Hit Factory & Power Station, New York City, USA
First Released on: 27th August: The Rolling Stones ‘Tattoo You’ (LP)
Label: Rolling Stones Records RS 21003)
Producers: The Glimmer Twins
Chief engineers: Keith Harwood, Glyn Johns & Chris Kimsey

Line Up:
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards & Wayne Perkins
Bass:Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Electric piano: Mick Jagger
Background vocals: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Harmony vocal: Keith Richards

Worried About You I
Billy Preston on piano
1975 22nd January - 9th February: Rotterdam, Holland, De Doelen, Mobile Record Unit.
Sound engineers: Keith Harwood, Glyn Johns.

Worried About You II
With different falsetto and backing vocals
1980 11th October - 12th November & 25th November - ca. mid-December: Boulogne-
Billancourt (near Paris), France, Pathé-Marconi Studios.
Sound engineer: Chris Kimsey.

Worried About You

Some time I wonder why you do these things to me
Some time I worry, girl, that you ain't in love with me
Some time I stay out late, yeah, I having fun
Yes, I guess you know by now that you ain't the only one

Yeah, and, baby, ooh sweet things that you promised me, yeah
They seemed to go up in smoke, yeah, vanish like a dream
Baby, I wonder why, yeah, you do these things to me

Cause I'm worried
Yeah and I just can't seem to find my way

Baby

Ooh the nights I spend just waiting on the sun, oh yeah
Just like your burned out cigarette, you threw away my love - why did you do that, baby?
I wonder why, why you do these things to me

Baby - oh I'm worried, Lord, I'll find out anyway
Sure going to find myself a girl someday
Till then I'm worried
Yeah, I just can't seem to find my way

Ooh

Yeah, I'm a hard working man, when did I ever do you wrong?
Yeah, I get all my money, baby, yeah, yeah I bring it, I bring it on home, yeah, I'm telling the truth
Yeah, all right, the sweet things, the sweet things, Lord, Lord, that you promised me, well

I'm worried
And I just can't seem to find my way

Baby
Ahh, ahh

I'm worried about you, yeah
I'm worried about you, yeah
Tell you something now, I'm worried about you, (ah) yeah
I'm worried about you, child (ah yeah)
I'm worried about you, woman, ah yeah - going to keep on telling you something now
I'm worried about you, yeah, come on, yeah (ah yeah)
I'm worried about you, (ah) yeah

Yeah and I'm worried, Lord, I'll find out anyway
Sure as Hell burns I'm going to find that girl someday
Oh and I'm worried
Lord, I just can't seem to find my way

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-30 11:13 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: Worried About You (New)
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:19

Nice one this version III thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:19

Worried about you is my fav Rolling Stones song

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:28

Great vocals. Mick can’t write a bad song for his falsetto voice – the demise of the Stones after 1981 can be traced I think to his forgetting that. Fool To Cry, Beast of Burden, Emotional Rescue and Worried About You immediately come to mind but, correct me if I’m wrong, no girlie singing since Tattoo You.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:33

One of the many highlights on Tattoo You. Great song.

Date: May 23, 2016 11:53

Swayed1967
Great vocals. Mick can’t write a bad song for his falsetto voice – the demise of the Stones after 1981 can be traced I think to his forgetting that. Fool To Cry, Beast of Burden, Emotional Rescue and Worried About You immediately come to mind but, correct me if I’m wrong, no girlie singing since Tattoo You.

Feel On Baby, Winning Ugly, Sweet Thing and Use Me are a few that come to mind..

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 23, 2016 11:56

Lordy Lordy - what a great groove this one has. For a song that obviously started out as a loose jam it has grown over the years as a live tour de force on the rare occasions it is played.

I love the way Mick was always looking for a new pitch for his voice around this time in the 70s - from growling menace of Heartbreaker to the sweet Van Morrison/California soul vocals of Till The Last Goodbye and Time Waits For No One to the falsetto of Fool To Cry and slighly later, Emotional Rescue.

While Wayne Perkins plays on the original it's a song that now has Ronnie's stamp all over it, allowing him to stretch out and play some of his finest guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 11:57 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 23, 2016 12:13

Best song on the otherwise subpar B-side of Tatto You.
When I first heard it as a youngster I was totally blown away. I still like it very much, but I dont think you can call it a classic. It´s dated, but still very good - but once again: NO CLASSIC.

Date: May 23, 2016 12:15

Are Tops, Heaven, No Use In Crying and Waiting On A Friend «subpar»?

You sure set the bar high, then grinning smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 23, 2016 12:28

One of those few tracks they played on stage before they were published on a record.
And one of the many reasons why a complete El Mocambo recording should be published.

video: [www.youtube.com]
El Mocambo 1977

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2016 12:44

Great song. Is the fact that it's Perkins on guitar officially documented anywhere? It does sound like him, but I've heard people insist it's an un-credited Mick Taylor.

Date: May 23, 2016 12:51

HonkeyTonkFlash
Great song. Is the fact that it's Perkins on guitar officially documented anywhere? It does sound like him, but I've heard people insist it's an un-credited Mick Taylor.

Taylor quit way before they wrote and recorded this tune.

He plays on Tops, though.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 23, 2016 12:54

DandelionPowderman
Are Tops, Heaven, No Use In Crying and Waiting On A Friend «subpar»?

You sure set the bar high, then grinning smiley

For me the (old) side 2 of the album is the best side.

Date: May 23, 2016 12:55

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash

Taylor quit way before they wrote and recorded this tune.

He plays on Tops, though.

That's what I thought...thanks.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 23, 2016 13:03

IMO, Worried About You is one of the most electrifying and brilliant and cathartic tracks in the Stones’ entire catalog. It’s a lush, theatrical tour-de-force right from the start, with that electric piano and Charlie’s gently-ticking drumbeat creating a feeling of hushed, breathless anticipation.

Then Mick enters, baring his soul in a fragile, utterly naked falsetto; the vulnerability and depth of his performance here is simply a wonder to behold. One of the most remarkable vocal performances ever recorded. At the same time, almost imperceptibly, Keith saunters in, delivering some gorgeous, reggae-tinged guitar licks, while Bill lends a remarkable bass-line that heightens the mood of wistful sadness. Keith then adds a gorgeous bluesy riff, and the song begins to blossom like a rare and precious flower. Those rugged Glimmer Twin harmonies in the chorus contrast beautifully with Mick’s delicate falsetto.

After the first chorus, the feeling of wounded desolation ratchets up, as Mick’s words so vividly capture the incalculable pain that a cold and heartless lover has inflicted upon him. We are inexorably drawn in, absolutely mesmerized by the greatest performer in history, who by now has us completely in the palm of his hand.

It's when the second chorus subsides, however, that the song truly takes off into the stratosphere: that incandescent, scorching, transcendent guitar solo from Wayne Perkins, brilliantly distilling in just 35 seconds all the pain and darkness that Mick has been so desperately trying to exorcise. Holy Mother of Mercy, what a solo; absolutely stunning in its force and precision.

But as mind-blowing as Perkins’ solo is, it is Mick’s subsequent volcanic eruption that is truly the track’s climax. Mick now unleashes one of the most cathartic and heartfelt outpourings of emotion I’ve ever heard, finally purging all the pent-up frustration and heartache and fury that he’s kept locked inside for God knows how long. And oh, what sweet, sweet release. The falsetto wails that follow are the icing on the cake.

Finally, the glorious, strutting outro brings the song to a deeply satisfying close.

Well, talk is cheap. All these words cannot really do justice how much I love Worried About You. I do know that it makes me feel more alive and free than just about anything else on this planet. As in so much of the Stones’ best work, there is such a profound spiritual undertow to this track that its impact on me is akin to an out-of-body religious experience. It nourishes the very core of my being, transporting me to another dimension, liberating my spirit, and releasing me from all my worldly cares. This is why I love the Rolling Stones with all my heart.

Drew

Date: May 23, 2016 13:05

From Hoffman (excerpt from a Perkins interview):

"I stayed in Kingston with [Eric] Clapton for a month or two," Perkins says. "One morning at the breakfast table Eric said, 'Did you hear that Mick Taylor quit the Stones?' And I said, 'Naww, have they found anybody to take his place?' Eric said he didn't think they had, so I said, 'Well, hell, put in a phone call for me.' So Clapton called Jagger and told him, 'Yeah, this boy Perkins can play some guitar.' So Eric—and Leon Russell—were my references to get to the Stones." Months earlier, Perkins had played bass on Stones bassist Bill Wyman's solo debut, Monkey Grip.

Keith Richards, a reggae fanatic, was familiar with Perkins' work on Catch a Fire. "Far as I know, I was the last one to audition for the Stones job. They had rented a theater in Rotterdam. I basically got off the plane and walked into the audition room," recalls Perkins. "Keith was sitting on a couch with Bill Wyman. And there was a spotlight in the middle of the room. I set my guitars down and was just standing there, and they're all looking up at me. I had never met them before. I was standing there in that spotlight. It was kind of understood that that's where I was supposed to stand because nobody offered a chair. I was talking to Keith when suddenly Jagger and Charlie Watts came up behind me, and they both stood right next to me, really close. Mick and Charlie were looking straight ahead, they wouldn't even look at me. I looked to each side and both of them are staring straight ahead like they're posing for an album cover. Then they walked off without saying a word. They put me in the center of this portrait thing that they were doing, like a lineup. They wanted to see if I looked like a Rolling Stone, and I hadn't even played a note for 'em yet."

Perkins' audition impressed the Stones enough that he was invited to play on the sessions that would become the Black and Blue album. "We started out cold on 'Hand of Fate' one night. We were just kind of starting from scratch with something that Keith had a musical idea about," Perkins says. "He had the basic track down, but he didn't have a bridge, or what they call 'a middle-eight.' I was playing a counter-guitar part to Keith, and I started doing this Motown lick that goes along to what he's playing. And so we're cooking along there, and Mick's walking around the room with a tambourine, and he'd go stand in the corner and shake that damn tambourine. And he's singing to himself, and he's off in his own world trying to figure out what's what. The whole thing sounded real rough, too. It kinda just sucked. [Perkins is not the first musician to comment on the Stones' lack of musical finesse.] It was like the worst garage band I'd ever heard in my life. Then the engineer turned on the red light [to begin recording] and it's like somebody reached out with a magic wand and went, 'Bing!' And all of a sudden, it's the Stones! Damnedest thing I've ever seen."

Perkins lived with Richards and his longtime girlfriend Anita Pallenberg for a month or so in a cottage behind the London home of Ron Wood (who was still a member of The Faces at the time). Richards treated Perkins as the new band member. "We started hangin' out and having a big ol' time. We got along great," says Perkins. "But when Mick came into the picture . . . If I was with Mick, it was all right. If I was with Keith, it was all right. But when the two of them got together, I seemed to automatically fall under a microscope without even trying. Keith and Mick were still going at it over me, because I was under the impression from Keith that I was already in the band. Keith was teaching me their songs and gave me two cassettes of about 60 songs that included what the Stones might play on their 1975 tour. While we were in Germany, they had these two rooms and on the walls were [designs] of different stage setups and they were asking me my opinion of which stage I liked. We cut 'Memory Motel' from scratch like we did 'Hand of Fate.' Keith was on Fender Rhodes, Mick was on grand piano, and I was in some soundbooth with an acoustic guitar and I overdubbed electric guitar later. And then I overdubbed some slide on 'Fool to Cry.' We cut like 10 tracks that were just jamming, and then later on they turned this into some stuff, and a couple of those ended up on Tattoo You." 1981's Tattoo You, though presented at the time as an album of new songs, was actually cobbled together from unreleased songs recorded from 1973 to 1975. Perkins plays the jaw-dropping guitar solo on "Worried About You."

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: May 23, 2016 13:14

HMS
Best song on the otherwise subpar B-side of Tatto You

Subpar!!!??? The B-side from TY is my favourite side ever.

Date: May 23, 2016 13:14

Cool. Very cool both Drew and DP....

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 23, 2016 13:58

drewmaster
IMO, Worried About You is one of the most electrifying and brilliant and cathartic tracks in the Stones’ entire catalog. It’s a lush, theatrical tour-de-force right from the start, with that electric piano and Charlie’s gently-ticking drumbeat creating a feeling of hushed, breathless anticipation.

Then Mick enters, baring his soul in a fragile, utterly naked falsetto; the vulnerability and depth of his performance here is simply a wonder to behold. One of the most remarkable vocal performances ever recorded. At the same time, almost imperceptibly, Keith saunters in, delivering some gorgeous, reggae-tinged guitar licks, while Bill lends a remarkable bass-line that heightens the mood of wistful sadness. Keith then adds a gorgeous bluesy riff, and the song begins to blossom like a rare and precious flower. Those rugged Glimmer Twin harmonies in the chorus contrast beautifully with Mick’s delicate falsetto.

After the first chorus, the feeling of wounded desolation ratchets up, as Mick’s words so vividly capture the incalculable pain that a cold and heartless lover has inflicted upon him. We are inexorably drawn in, absolutely mesmerized by the greatest performer in history, who by now has us completely in the palm of his hand.

It's when the second chorus subsides, however, that the song truly takes off into the stratosphere: that incandescent, scorching, transcendent guitar solo from Wayne Perkins, brilliantly distilling in just 35 seconds all the pain and darkness that Mick has been so desperately trying to exorcise. Holy Mother of Mercy, what a solo; absolutely stunning in its force and precision.

But as mind-blowing as Perkins’ solo is, it is Mick’s subsequent volcanic eruption that is truly the track’s climax. Mick now unleashes one of the most cathartic and heartfelt outpourings of emotion I’ve ever heard, finally purging all the pent-up frustration and heartache and fury that he’s kept locked inside for God knows how long. And oh, what sweet, sweet release. The falsetto wails that follow are the icing on the cake.

Finally, the glorious, strutting outro brings the song to a deeply satisfying close.

Well, talk is cheap. All these words cannot really do justice how much I love Worried About You. I do know that it makes me feel more alive and free than just about anything else on this planet. As in so much of the Stones’ best work, there is such a profound spiritual undertow to this track that its impact on me is akin to an out-of-body religious experience. It nourishes the very core of my being, transporting me to another dimension, liberating my spirit, and releasing me from all my worldly cares. This is why I love the Rolling Stones with all my heart.

Drew

Very well put Drew. Completely agree and my feelings too. Thanks.smileys with beer Jeroen

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 23, 2016 14:04

drewmaster = master of wordsthumbs up

Tops & Worried are first class indeed but I can easily do without Heaven, No Use In Crying & Waiting On A Frind, never liked those three songs, always thought of them as a waste of disc space more or less. The inclusion of Heaven, No Use in Crying & Waiting On A Friend for me makes Emotional Rescue a better album than Tattoo You.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 23, 2016 14:08

drewmaster
... that incandescent, scorching, transcendent guitar solo from Wayne Perkins, brilliantly distilling in just 35 seconds
all the pain and darkness that Mick has been so desperately trying to exorcise. Holy Mother of Mercy, what a solo;
absolutely stunning in its force and precision.

But as mind-blowing as Perkins’ solo is, it is Mick’s subsequent volcanic eruption that is truly the track’s climax.
Mick now unleashes one of the most cathartic and heartfelt outpourings of emotion I’ve ever heard,
finally purging ...

What Drew wrote. That subsequent volcanic eruption and all the tension building up to it
is say-hallelujah time.

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: May 23, 2016 14:15

Thanks and cheers y'all for the very kind feedback!smileys with beer

Drew

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 23, 2016 16:38

Thanks for summing it up, words fail me.
I've written about 'WAY' (huh, funny)
not poetically, just impact, praise.
The song is carved upon me for good.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 16:43

Tops
HMS

No sh|t! I can't believe anyone would refer to that side as "subpar".

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 16:43

Tops
HMS

Seriously. I can't believe anyone would refer to that side as "subpar".

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 16:50

agreed. It is A+

Date: May 23, 2016 17:06

P.S.
I am a bit pissed off 'Worried About You'
is song of THIS week. Now it's on my mind, singing it, pulling a listen,
I've looked for this feedback/ waiting
THIS week?
This song KILLS me. It's always KILLED me. When I was 13, then forever.
I got 2 kids graduating monumental to us milestones both on Friday.
I do not need therapy, to feel and own parts of my youth that are coming up,
Killing. Me.

ETA: sorry. ^ silly. Just an emotional mom :-/.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 17:26 by 35love.

Date: May 23, 2016 18:05

Now this right cheered me up
'Worried About You'
2016!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:07

I'm only aware of one Worried About You (non-live) official release. Where are these others from?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 18:09 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 23, 2016 18:08

Could be a great song but ruined a little with the falsetto. WHY..

The Toronto Live version from 77 is the only one I will listen to because he got away from the falsetto nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-23 18:14 by stanlove.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home