Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Selected Compilations-Talk: Around And Around
Date: April 29, 2016 11:32

I will select compilations from my collection for these talks. Hit me up with an email if you want other compilations discussed as well.

Here we go with...

AROUND AND AROUND

Label: Decca
Format: Vinyl, LP
Released: September 1964

Track list:

Around And Around
Good Times, Bad Times
It's All Over Now
Empty Heart
Confessin' The Blues
Not Fade Away
Bye Bye Johnny
You Better Move On
I Wanna Be Your Man
2120 South Michigan Avenue
If You Need Me
Poison Ivy

What are your thoughts on this compilation?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-29 13:51 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: Selected Compilations-Talk: Around And Around
Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: April 29, 2016 11:53

Great CD - I have it - but not sure it was a compilation -

I thought it was released between #1 and #2. rather like the US got one extra early LP, before Aftermath when it largely got in sync worldwide except for compilations

Date: April 29, 2016 12:04

thecitadel

I thought it was released between #1 and #2. rather like the US got one extra early LP, before Aftermath when it largely got in sync worldwide except for compilations

It's a compilation of the tracks on their first two EPs + Not Fade Away, which didn't appear on albums in Europe, and I Wanna Be Your Man .

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: April 29, 2016 13:16

Included the long version of "2120 South Michigan Avenue" (the song wasn't on the German Five By Five EP by the way, only for tracks and more a Four By Five because of the "Füllschrift-Verfahren") and I tend to see it like thecitadel - it's more a 2nd album for the German market, like 12X5 was for the U.S. rather than a compilation album.

The initial release was Mono with BLK order-number, stereo came later.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-29 13:21 by silkcut1978_.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 29, 2016 13:33

thecitadel

It was not on official CD. You have a bootleg that was put together using different sources.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 29, 2016 13:42

GREAT cover ... front & back ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: terry ()
Date: April 29, 2016 13:48

Great tracks on this album, yeah realing n rocking what a crazy sound

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 29, 2016 14:06

What are your thoughts on this compilation?

What is your thoughts on this compilation...smiling bouncing smiley

It's one of my most important albums from the sixties to be precise...

11/10

Any weak songs...hardly...the one that I only like was 'Poison Ivy', the other ones I adore...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: April 29, 2016 14:11

ironbelly
thecitadel

It was not on official CD. You have a bootleg that was put together using different sources.

good point - I actually have the LP, not CD - so confusing all these different formats!

Date: April 29, 2016 14:13

The «stereo» edition must be electronic reprocessed stereo, surely?

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 29, 2016 18:37

One of THE Rolling Stones LPs from the sixties! Especially because of the songs from the Chess sessions. I still think those two days at Chess are one of THE highlights in the Stones history!

It was the first LP I could afford or was allowed to buy, though I no longer have that version; probably worn out after a couple of years!

The later SLK stereo catalogue number was some sort of 'fake', the album remained mono!
No electronic reprocessed stereo!!

There was a similar LP in the Netherlands called "greatest hits" NU 370 101
Had Fortune Teller, Come On and Money instead of 2120 South Michigan Ave., Poison Ivy and You Better Move On.

Is it bad or wrong memory or wasn't the next Stones LP No2 even titled No3 in some countries, at least for a short time??

Date: April 29, 2016 18:41

Can you beat that? Is there anything cooler than it tells you that one must 'twist' to "I Wanna Be Your Man", and 'Slop' to "You Better Move On"; you'shake' to the fast ones, but you Limboooo'to "Fade Away".

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 29, 2016 18:46

Great compilation of early Stones. No fillers.
I love Bye By Johnny.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 29, 2016 18:48

Palace Revolution 2000
Can you beat that? Is there anything cooler than it tells you that one must 'twist' to "I Wanna Be Your Man", and 'Slop' to "You Better Move On"; you'shake' to the fast ones, but you Limboooo'to "Fade Away".

Back then I did not think that was cool!!

Date: April 29, 2016 18:50

Rank Stranger
Palace Revolution 2000

Back then I did not think that was cool!!
LOLthumbs up

Date: April 29, 2016 19:10

Palace Revolution 2000

Indeed! grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 29, 2016 20:56

I never consider this release as a compilation I thought it was a customized record for the German marked, I bought this LP end of the 60's from sister who got it from here friend who was stationed in Germany as a soldier in '64.

If it's a real compilation it's one of the best....................

Date: April 29, 2016 22:17

NICOS
I never consider this release as a compilation I thought it was a customized record for the German marked, I bought this LP end of the 60's from sister who got it from here friend who was stationed in Germany as a soldier in '64.

If it's a real compilation it's one of the best....................

It was indeed a customised release for Germany.

But the album is compiled of songs from the two first EPS just the same smiling smiley

Date: April 29, 2016 22:41

Some of those compilations are so well done, that they take on another feel. "No Stone Unturned" IMO was one of those.
And I remember when I first began collecting Stones, a young kid in Europe; first off there was no Internet, secondly the official releases were next to impossible to find anyway. Even after I had read about such mysterious dark treasures like 'Aftermath', ''Beggars Banquet', "Hitmakers' - it was years before I actually saw them. So when I read about 'Stone Age' being a weak Decca moneymaker scheme, I have to disagree: for me it was priceless. ""Look what you've done", 'Confessin the Blues', "One More Try"...are you kidding me? Then "Rockn Rolling Stones" - it was the only record I ever saw 'Down the Road Apiece" on. The strange spelling alone was intriguing. I knew about the drummer Carmine Appice; I thought it had something to do with him.
Another one was 'Gimme Shelter". The side of official big hits is what it is. But the live side - it took years for me to be able to listen to the 'real' Got Live album without those crazy edits. I used to love the switch from "Under my Thumb" into "Time is on my Side". Nowadays I wouldnt be able to even listen to such a ridiculous edit, but back then I thought that was how the Stones played it in concert.
Sorry Dandy, I just saw that this is a "Around & Around' thread only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-29 22:42 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: April 29, 2016 23:01

Go on, Palace. Your tales are reviving my own experiences thumbs up

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 29, 2016 23:01

Whatever the origin and status of the original songs of AROUND AND AROUND, and how much or little I knew about them at that time, apart from the included singles, also to me, who held this album in my hands in the home of one guy I went to school with, more than a year before I had my own recordplayer, AROUND AND AROUND has always been an album and not an ordinary compilation. And I count AROUND AND AROUND as one of the 12 great albums of the Rolling Stones.

If asked what to present to someone, who does not know the Stones, my answer is: Start more or less at the beginning, and let AROUND AND AROUND be the first album, which that listener gets exposed to.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: April 29, 2016 23:05

...and let Dirty Work be the second. That´s the way to make people Stones-fans, bet on it.

Today I´ve listened to both albums and it was fantastic.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 29, 2016 23:24

If possible, my best recommendation would have been to do the presentation chronologically. No following albums before two months and, for instance, an extra two weeks time for each succeeding single. What joy to experience over an expanded period!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-29 23:26 by Witness.

Date: April 30, 2016 05:01

Witness
If possible, my best recommendation would have been to do the presentation chronologically. No following albums before two months and, for instance, an extra two weeks time for each succeeding single. What joy to experience over an expanded period!

What a joy to RE-discover the Stones.
Some of my lost earth shattering moments of assimilating Stones, was hearing "Talkin Bout You' for the first time. I could not get past the intro, and the way the groove kicks in and Jagger goes "let me tell you bout a girl I know". It was on a turntable, and I kept lifting the needle back to beginning.
Another moment was one of the first times I had smoked the Hashish, and I was high as a kite. I am listening to "Stray Cat Blues" on Ya-Ya's and it was an incredible experience, the way those two guitars would veer off to jam around the chords in their own way, but they would return back to that huge A chord together in unison; it's the "its no hangin matter" chord, or the "betcha mama don;'t know" - same chord.And then Taylor would break off and fly above that again. I just caught a buzz again, I think.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 30, 2016 15:40

Rather an album in its own right than a compilation here in Germany. Fantastic mixture of R&B. On par with the debut The Rolling Stones and Nr. 2. No overlapping tracks.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: May 1, 2016 02:55

Funny that this thread appeared as I am currently waiting to receive a copy of this that I purchased online.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 1, 2016 11:55

... first issued in France I believe ??

Posted by: marclaff ()
Date: May 1, 2016 12:54

The french one got a different verso with no picture but a long article from "Salut les copains".
158.012 for the reedition june 1970 (first edition in 64)
Confessin' the blues is not a "blues" and 2120 becomes a "shake" not a "shuffle".

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 1, 2016 12:54

It has the weirdest cover, doesn't it!? The back side shows American cops in (violent) action and the front has a group photo with Mick having his eyes closed!

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: May 1, 2016 23:41

DandelionPowderman
The «stereo» edition must be electronic reprocessed stereo, surely?

I´m not sure if it ever was released in Stereo . . . . . ?
- even though the 1970 rerelease is labeled "Stereo" !

No 1 & No 2 were both rereleased marked "stereo" on German Decca, -
both in glorious Mono ! -
and I think the same goes for this album . . .

My own copy is 1964 - Mono, - but maybe owners of the 1970-rerelease
can enlighten us !

If Stereo, - it has to be ERPS . . . !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-01 23:47 by HenrikBB.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home