Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers Live
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: June 17, 2016 21:15

HMS
They can stick their Cuba-DVD up the... Who needs another GH-DVD with the same old songs they play over and over again?

The Fonda-Gig would sell more items than a DVD that is in fact very similar to Hyde-Park. The only difference between Hyde-Park and Cuba-show is the location and who cares for the location, it´s about the music and not about a 15-minute-mini-documentary with Havana-footage that accompanies an otherwise totally uninteresting concert. Not even the cubans would buy it, they can´t afford it anyway. So leave this in the can for future FTV-release and give us Sticky Fingers instead.

Really - what would be the point of another huge open-air greatest hits concert? It would be so similar to Hyde Park. Give us the Fonda show for a different atmosphere and some different songs!!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: June 17, 2016 21:51

I need a HIGH RES release. Urgently.
AAC is not for me

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 21, 2016 03:33

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS
They can stick their Cuba-DVD up the... Who needs another GH-DVD with the same old songs they play over and over again?

The Fonda-Gig would sell more items than a DVD that is in fact very similar to Hyde-Park. The only difference between Hyde-Park and Cuba-show is the location and who cares for the location, it´s about the music and not about a 15-minute-mini-documentary with Havana-footage that accompanies an otherwise totally uninteresting concert. Not even the cubans would buy it, they can´t afford it anyway. So leave this in the can for future FTV-release and give us Sticky Fingers instead.

Really - what would be the point of another huge open-air greatest hits concert? It would be so similar to Hyde Park. Give us the Fonda show for a different atmosphere and some different songs!!

agree. i can appreciate the historical aspects but other than that..what's the point. i would, however, accept it as part of a deluxe package similar to Totally Stripped...a variety of shows from 50th tour, Zip Code, 14 on Fire etc...

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: June 22, 2016 06:38

Yes love the Fonda performance. Performing it in a theatre; that's so cool. It sure shows that Mick can still lay back and really sing intimately in that environment. Not a cheerleader kinda gig. I'm always gonna miss a little something with a tour band contingent but they stayed pretty close to the arrangements and did well mostly....but all in all what an excellent and unique show. Should have given it a general official release with great fidelity and not overdub it, it was pretty excellent and a pleasure for me to hear it, tho far from an audiophile experience it was still captivating to me.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 22, 2016 20:52

Will Eagle Rock give this a proper release on CD/DVD ?

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 22, 2016 23:54

TheGreek

It's slowly getting too old for a current release, and it's too young for "From The Vault" treatment. Same problem as with Glastonbury. But never say never, maybe in 15 or 20 years the time will be right to let it out!

No, honestly, I don't hear that anybody (either Eagle or Universal) has any plans with it currently.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 23, 2016 13:51

alimente
TheGreek

It's slowly getting too old for a current release, and it's too young for "From The Vault" treatment. Same problem as with Glastonbury. But never say never, maybe in 15 or 20 years the time will be right to let it out!

No, honestly, I don't hear that anybody (either Eagle or Universal) has any plans with it currently.
that stinks because the one album that you would want start to finish live recording of would be Sticky Fingers with Mick Taylor of course and to make it even more fun have Woody also so they can trade licks with Keith , then you can have real guiatr pyro

Date: June 24, 2016 05:21

I think a double-disc DVD set of the Cuba gig with the Fonda gig would be a great idea.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: June 25, 2016 21:53

Regarding SF Live - can anyone deduce whether this is an honest recording, or another overdub heave one? I was listening to CYHMK today and I wondered if, again, the Ronnie part in the verses was not once again another open G guitar done after the fact. I also occasionally thought I heard hints of a third guitar doing little licks here and there. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 21, 2016 04:38

Blown away by Ronnie's haunting slide on Moonlight Mile.

Amazing...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 21, 2016 17:38

This live album grows on me more and more. Very impressive for guys in their 70's; although I would still find it impressive at any age they could do a performance this good.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: DonParker ()
Date: July 22, 2016 00:16

Lord have mercy.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 22, 2016 00:31

Even in the seventies it would have been impressive. One of their best live albums and yet it is not available physically. Very confusing.

They play the songs so wonderful that it is very easy to forget that there ever was a Mick Taylor with the band. Like I always say, they dont need him. The SF-songs work very fine without him. Cheers to Ronnie and of course Mick whose vocals are amazing.

Date: July 22, 2016 00:58

HMS
Even in the seventies it would have been impressive. One of their best live albums and yet it is not available physically. Very confusing.

They play the songs so wonderful that it is very easy to forget that there ever was a Mick Taylor with the band. Like I always say, they dont need him. The SF-songs work very fine without him. Cheers to Ronnie and of course Mick whose vocals are amazing.

Forget about Taylor. One of the best Stones albums ever butchered by the Stones. The difference is painful, and all this just to make money, imo. Sticky Fingers for Stones tourists.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 22, 2016 01:04

HMS

They don't need anybody except Jagger, Richards, and to a lesser extent Charlie. I think that's the only thing that has been proven. Why are you obsessed with Mick Taylor?

I would love to hear what Taylor would play on Moonlight Mile and Wild Horses. At least there is a slim chance a performance exists with Taylor playing Wild Horses from the early 70's.

Posted by: ladylou ()
Date: July 22, 2016 09:45

What happened to FONDA DVD?

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 23, 2016 02:23

This is a fantastic album, played very well .... I do not think there is overdubs. It 'nice to have a version played by M.Taylor and a version played by Wood. Taylor is no longer in the Stones from 40 years, so just becomes boring story. neither Taylor nor Wood have made great the Rolling Stones, the RS were big before Taylor and before Wood.

Date: July 23, 2016 02:40

It's a very nice live album. Mick sings better than in 71-73 and some songs (BS, IGTB and SM) are on par with the magical studio versions.

It's great to have an excellent live version of Moonlight Mile, my favourite Stones tune. Finally thumbs up

Date: July 23, 2016 17:51

DandelionPowderman
It's a very nice live album. Mick sings better than in 71-73 and some songs (BS, IGTB and SM) are on par with the magical studio versions.

It's great to have an excellent live version of Moonlight Mile, my favourite Stones tune. Finally thumbs up

I'm not trying to be rude, but no way are those songs on par with the Stones in their prime. They ARE excellent for 70 something year old rockers though!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-23 17:52 by TravelinMan.

Date: July 23, 2016 19:55

TravelinMan
DandelionPowderman

I'm not trying to be rude, but no way are those songs on par with the Stones in their prime. They ARE excellent for 70 something year old rockers though!

I just love the extended energetic versions from Fonda, which really blew me away. I didn't see this BS (after hearing umpteen lame versions) coming. It's dynamite!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 23, 2016 21:28

It´s absolutely on par with the Stones "in their prime" (whenever that was). There´s zero to complain about it, as a live album - although quite short - it even tops marvelous Shine A Light. No need to mention that I think it is way better than YaYa´s (most every other live-album is, imo).

I just cant get over the fact that they didnt release the whole show months ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-23 21:30 by HMS.

Date: July 23, 2016 23:37

Think of the support group back in the day: Nicky Hopkins, Ian Stewart, Bobby Keys, Jim Price, and of course the stoic former bassist, Bill Wyman. Yeah HMS, you are in the extreme minority on this one haha.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 23, 2016 23:42

DandelionPowderman

It's better to be blind than reading this bullshit.
Better than in 71-73... and better that Get yer...
OK I think the Stones started in 2002 for you!

Date: July 23, 2016 23:50

TravelinMan
HMS

They don't need anybody except Jagger, Richards, and to a lesser extent Charlie. I think that's the only thing that has been proven. Why are you obsessed with Mick Taylor?

I would love to hear what Taylor would play on Moonlight Mile and Wild Horses. At least there is a slim chance a performance exists with Taylor playing Wild Horses from the early 70's.

They need everybody to be the Rolling Stones, and at first with Bill Wyman! Mick and Keith only are not the Rolling Stones.
The Sandy Relief concert on 2012-12-12 in NYC was a Keith and Mick participation, they were not introduced as the rolling stones.

Date: July 24, 2016 00:12

ouroux58
TravelinMan
HMS

They need everybody to be the Rolling Stones, and at first with Bill Wyman! Mick and Keith only are not the Rolling Stones.
The Sandy Relief concert on 2012-12-12 in NYC was a Keith and Mick participation, they were not introduced as the rolling stones.

I agree with you, I am just commenting on the direction Mick and Keith have gone.

Date: July 24, 2016 01:27

ouroux58
DandelionPowderman

Who are you?

Date: July 24, 2016 01:50

DandelionPowderman
ouroux58
DandelionPowderman

Who are you?

It's not me. smiling smiley

Date: July 24, 2016 01:51

DonParker
DandelionPowderman
ouroux58
DandelionPowderman

Who are you?

It's not me. smiling smiley

I know that, "Don" winking smiley

Date: July 24, 2016 12:32

DandelionPowderman
ouroux58
DandelionPowderman

Who are you?

I am just me.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: July 24, 2016 16:05

HMS
It´s absolutely on par with the Stones "in their prime" (whenever that was). There´s zero to complain about it, as a live album - although quite short - it even tops marvelous Shine A Light. No need to mention that I think it is way better than YaYa´s (most every other live-album is, imo).

I just cant get over the fact that they didnt release the whole show months ago.

I don't agree with this at all. It is rather average. The playing is not as good and does not top the original studio versions or the live versions from 1972-73. The concept is better than the results for me. The most interesting part is hearing live versions of the rarely played tracks.

Here is an online review from Allmusic - They give it 3 stars which is about average.

As promotion for both their 2015 summer tour and the deluxe reissue of Sticky Fingers, the Rolling Stones held a club show at the Fonda in Los Angeles where they performed the entirety of the 1971 album for the first time ever. Unlike so many other full-album concerts, the Stones didn't play the album in its running order -- an understandable move, perhaps, given Mick Jagger's concern that there are too many "slowies" on the album to make for a good live performance. Jagger is correct that what makes for a dynamic album may not make for a dynamic show and this rejiggered Sticky Fingers does have the momentum of a live concert, with the bigger hits spaced out evenly -- "Wild Horses" arrives third, "Brown Sugar" is moved from the opener to the closer, "Bitch" anchors the middle of the set. Generally, the live show doesn't feel as heavy as the 1971 LP, a consequence of a group of old pros revisiting their past instead of being stuck in the murk at the dawn of the '70s. The band is noticeably older, of course -- Jagger's range has diminished a bit, the tempo on "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" drags slightly -- but they're still a tight, muscular group and any hardcore fan will find these live readings of the rarely played "Sway," "You Gotta Move," and "Moonlight Mile" a delight.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-24 16:19 by boogaloojef.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home