Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 15
Re: R.I.P. Prince
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:44

mr_dja
exilestones

thumbs up
Nice

I saw a screen shot last night credited to a news station in Nashville, TN that changed the coloring of the weather radar to be different shades of purple rather than the "normal" blue-yellow-red.

Peace,
Mr DJA

The Los Angeles Forum was bathed in purple lighting last night.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 22, 2016 19:44

Prince performs on stage with Ronnie Wood at a small London club gig after a Wembley show, August 1986.
Michael Putland

Ronnie Wood and his wife Jo, attending a party held by the singer Prince in London, July 27th 1988.
Dave Hogan

Ronnie Wood and his wife Jo attending a party held by the singer Prince, London, circa 1988.
Dave Hogan

Prince performs his second of three shows onstage during 'One Night... Three Venues'. Ronnie Wood and girlfriend Ekaterina 'Katia' Ivanona during Prince's first of three shows. Ronnie Wood and Cuba Gooding Jr.
Kevin Mazur

'One Night... Three Venues' hosted by Prince and Lotusflow3r.com held at the Conga Room on March 28, 2009 in Los Angeles.

Date: April 22, 2016 19:49

Jacqueline Pruitt wipes away a tear after leaving flowers at a memorial to Prince outside the First Avenue nightclub on April 22, 2016 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Prince, 57,
was pronounced dead shortly after being found unresponsive yesterday at his Paisley Park Studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota near Minneapolis

Hartley Hokuf leaves a flower at a memorial to Prince outside the First Avenue nightclub while her mother Melissa takes a picture on April 22, 2016 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Purple pancakes sit on the sidewalk outside of the First Avenue nightclub where fans have created a memorial to Prince

Date: April 22, 2016 19:59

Prince on stage with Ronnie Wood and Sting at Wembley Stadium, August 1986 Parade Tour

Date: April 22, 2016 20:00

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:01

Chester
I definitely get Prince.

I don't think you are getting me.

No question: He was a great musician.

No question: Comparatively speaking, his records and lyrics should have been much better than they were.

it's fine, Chester. You don't like him. That's your opinion. A good man is never honored in his own country. (That being Minneapolis in your case). That's funny you mentioned 'Cream' as one of his underachieving songs. Before I came on here I just posted that song on my FB page. Look, the Grateful Dead do less than nothing for me, and there's people out there that swear by them. As a pop star Prince had about 10 years really burning bright, and then not much on the charts. But, as a live act, always great. I saw him early in '85 on the Purple Rain Tour and again in 2005 in Los Angeles. Both were fantastic. His fusion of funk and rock is incomparable. Later I'll be posting 'Diamonds & Pearls'. Are there ANY Prince songs that meet your high standards?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:08

RIP Prince.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:09

Sometimes it snows in April...

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:32

I was lucky enough to see Prince five times over the years. The show I saw at the Rio in Vegas 2007 when he was doing his residency was probably the best concert I've ever seen. (it was also my 30th birthday)-It was this in the round dinner type theater, Maceo Parker on sax, I think Sheila E was playing drums.. the whole band was just tremendous. He came on at 2:30 and played till 6 am. What a night! On stage, the man was half James Brown, half Jimi Hendrix. That son of a bitch was laying down the smoothest dance moves, the most shredding guitar solos all while orchestrating the band. It was truly a thing of beauty.

I was also lucky enough to attend two of the four theater shows he did with 3rd Eye Girl at the 1600 person Ogden here in Denver a few years back. The second show we caught was the final of the four and may well be the second best show I've ever seen. About half way through he puts down his guitar, brings a bunch of girls up on stage, gets behind the keyboards and starts DJing this Prince greatest hits dance party. The place went insane.

Aside from his song writing and guitar playing, the thing I'll always dig about Prince was he did it his way. He never stopped playing music and he never compromised. The fact that the industry and media paid him that huge respect of letting him be Prince is all you need to say. He was that highly regarded. He was his own thing

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:57

As to the 'underachiever' label, I think it's silly to focus on his lyrics when he was such a brilliant musician, arranger, performer, band leader, etc.
and there are other great musicians who didn't write great lyrics -- Clapton, James Brown, Hendrix.
And anyway a lot of the time it's not what the lyric says, but what the singer does with them. For example, Miss You has pedestrian lyrics, but the vocal conveys a universal feeling. Ruby Tuesday has a simple lyric but again, the vocal track and the music conveys a powerful feeling.

Re: R.I. P. Prince
Posted by: Hotstuff ()
Date: April 22, 2016 21:15

God bless you man

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:10

RIP Prince.

Date: April 22, 2016 22:16

wonderboy
As to the 'underachiever' label, I think it's silly to focus on his lyrics when he was such a brilliant musician, arranger, performer, band leader, etc.
and there are other great musicians who didn't write great lyrics -- Clapton, James Brown, Hendrix.
And anyway a lot of the time it's not what the lyric says, but what the singer does with them. For example, Miss You has pedestrian lyrics, but the vocal conveys a universal feeling. Ruby Tuesday has a simple lyric but again, the vocal track and the music conveys a powerful feeling.

Prince had some great lyrics. Want 'heavy' lyrics? 'Sign 'O The Times'. There are lyrics that stick in your head. For the Stones it's always 'I see the girls walk by, dressed in their summer clothes....' For Prince I think of 'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing'. Besides, rock and roll is supposed to be fun. And don't forget that '1999' came out at a time in the early 80s when assured nuclear destruction between Russia and the West was as acute as the 1960s.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:42

Keith on Prince:

"A unique talent. A true original. So sad, so sudden and, I will add, a great guitar player. We are all going to miss him."

[twitter.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 22, 2016 23:34

Maybe this happened to some of you with Bowie: you didn't fully realize the impact of the music and life of an artist that is with you until they unexpectedly die.
I graduated High School outside of Mpls. in 1985. The youth there in the early 80's was wild. Latch key kids searching. Music, drink, etc. Rock music (Stones, Zepplin, Van Halen, Pink Floyd) and Prince. Everywhere. Purple Rain, expression of a painful childhood a lot of us related to. Dancing in clubs Long Island Ice Teas popular/ fast hammered. 'Erotic City' by Prince LOUD on the floor.

I can't figure out quite what I am mourning. Leaving MN? My vulnerable youth? Honestly, I don't want his vault music, and feel angry a respectable private man with seemingly chronic daily pain
has his bodily contents upon death and
medical records made public and vultures await to pick.
He was immensely musically gifted and talented, whether you liked the music or not. He was Minnesota's treasure. He stayed. He gave a lot back.
But his music spoke. Seeing the monuments lighted purple. Choked up.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 23, 2016 00:23

Cristiano Radtke
Keith on Prince:

"A unique talent. A true original. So sad, so sudden and, I will add, a great guitar player. We are all going to miss him."

[twitter.com]

Well, Prince made an improvement in Keith's mind (on twitter at least) since he last made a statement about mister Nelson.

“An overrated midget… Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That's the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you've proved it. His attitude when he opened for us... was insulting to our audience. You don't try to knock off the headline like that when you're playing a Stones crowd. He's a prince who thinks he's a king already. Good luck to him."
Read more at [www.nme.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 00:38 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: April 23, 2016 00:49

RipThisBone
Cristiano Radtke
Keith on Prince:

[twitter.com]

Well, Prince made an improvement in Keith's mind (on twitter at least) since he last made a statement about mister Nelson.

“An overrated midget… Prince has to find out what it means to be a prince. That's the trouble with conferring a title on yourself before you've proved it. His attitude when he opened for us... was insulting to our audience. You don't try to knock off the headline like that when you're playing a Stones crowd. He's a prince who thinks he's a king already. Good luck to him."

i think he made those comments in the early 80's but i remember reading even before Prince's death that Keith did come to admire his talent

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 00:52 by Ket.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 23, 2016 01:06

I'm sure Keith did appreciate the talent of Prince as the years went by. smoking smiley

Date: April 23, 2016 01:16

Gaetzi
I was lucky enough to see Prince five times over the years. The show I saw at the Rio in Vegas 2007 when he was doing his residency was probably the best concert I've ever seen. (it was also my 30th birthday)-It was this in the round dinner type theater, Maceo Parker on sax, I think Sheila E was playing drums.. the whole band was just tremendous. He came on at 2:30 and played till 6 am. What a night! On stage, the man was half James Brown, half Jimi Hendrix. That son of a bitch was laying down the smoothest dance moves, the most shredding guitar solos all while orchestrating the band. It was truly a thing of beauty.

I was also lucky enough to attend two of the four theater shows he did with 3rd Eye Girl at the 1600 person Ogden here in Denver a few years back. The second show we caught was the final of the four and may well be the second best show I've ever seen. About half way through he puts down his guitar, brings a bunch of girls up on stage, gets behind the keyboards and starts DJing this Prince greatest hits dance party. The place went insane.

Aside from his song writing and guitar playing, the thing I'll always dig about Prince was he did it his way. He never stopped playing music and he never compromised. The fact that the industry and media paid him that huge respect of letting him be Prince is all you need to say. He was that highly regarded. He was his own thing

Awesome stories Gaetzi. I was at one of those Rio shows (as I mentioned earlier) that my wife dragged me to the same night after a Stones concert at MGM - but it was 2006 (did a little research, and his Rio run was from November '06 - April '07). Left the Stones show, jumped in a cab to the Rio, and the party was just beginning. Once again, I was converted from someone who was somewhat indifferent towards his music, to someone who was in complete awe of him in a live setting. Needless to say it was a memorable night - to see both the Stones and then Prince within a couple miles from each other was one of the funnest nights in Vegas my wife and I have ever had.

Here's a couple links about those shows:

Remembering Prince and his breathtaking run at the Rio

Prince’s Vegas run was brief, but intense and memorable

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 23, 2016 01:24

Ket
RipThisBone
Cristiano Radtke
Keith on Prince:

[twitter.com]

i think he made those comments in the early 80's but i remember reading even before Prince's death that Keith did come to admire his talent

Really, Ket? Love to know where.

As far as I recall, Keith was still slamming him in LIFE. And he certainly didn't mention Prince in "Under the Influence." And nowhere on those lists of his favorites and inspirations that have been floating around does Prince ever appear.

So, despite my affection for Keith, I call shenanigans. It seems kind of cheap to jump on the accolades bandwagon after someone kicks the bucket.

And no, Keith isn't suddenly "blossoming" and discovering new music with an open mind. Part of Keith's being Keith is his arrogance and old mannishness around new music and artists who--for whatever reason--he ranges from dismissive to contemptuous, or seems to feel threatened. Something that Mick, despite Mick's shortcomings (so to speak) could never be accused of.

Furthermore, what virtuoso rock guitarists has Keith ever praised? None. And that's fine. He doesn't have to like or even appreciate Prince, or shout out an RIP. It seems almost like competition with Mick--or trying to keep up and appear cool. Neither is very cool.

It's as likely that Keith actually said that about Prince as it is that he personally tweeted that from his iPhone. Or maybe you can fax your tweets in if you're Keith winking smiley

Meanwhile I'm seriously bumming about this. Like a lot of people who posted today, I just can't even find words.

So here's this...IORR seems still not to have fixed the "invisible YouTube video" problem...so I will try to paste Prince doing "Honky Tonk Woman" several ways below.

-swiss
Prince's version of "Honky Tonk Woman."VIDEO

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 23, 2016 01:36

swiss
Ket
RipThisBone
Cristiano Radtke
Keith on Prince:

[twitter.com]

As far as I recall, Keith was still slamming him in LIFE. And he certainly didn't mention Prince in "Under the Influence." And nowhere on those lists of his favorites and inspirations that have been floating around does Prince ever appear.

So, despite my affection for Keith, I call shenanigans. It seems kind of cheap to jump on the accolades bandwagon after someone kicks the bucket.

And no, Keith isn't suddenly "blossoming" and discovering new music with an open mind. Part of Keith's being Keith is his arrogance and old mannishness around new music and artists who--for whatever reason--he ranges from dismissive to contemptuous, or seems to feel threatened. Something that Mick, despite Mick's shortcomings (so to speak) could never be accused of.

Furthermore, what virtuoso rock guitarists has Keith ever praised? None. And that's fine. He doesn't have to like or even appreciate Prince, or shout out an RIP. It seems almost like competition with Mick--or trying to keep up and appear cool. Neither is very cool.

It's as likely that Keith actually said that about Prince as it is that he personally tweeted that from his iPhone. Or maybe you can fax your tweets in if you're Keith winking smiley

Meanwhile I'm seriously bumming about this. Like a lot of people who posted today, I just can't even find words.

So here's this...IORR seems still not to have fixed the "invisible YouTube video" problem...so I will try to paste Prince doing "Honky Tonk Woman" several ways below.

-swiss

thumbs up

Keith was more influeced by Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters and maybe by Mick Jagger also.
Prince made a few nice songs, but he did not write HOT STUFF in 1975.
COME ON...

edit: Lousy version of HTW by the way. Lyrcics are important.Was Prince a dyslectic?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 01:48 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 23, 2016 01:45

A first-rate songwriter, instrumentalist, singer and all-round performer.

Rest in peace, Prince

Date: April 23, 2016 02:09

Chester, can you please step down? It seems like you're crying out for attention, and it's kind of poor form at the moment.

Anyway...

crawdaddy
This is a great one of Prince and Maceo Parker, former sax player with James Brown.

If anyone is on Facebook you can see it, but don't think it's on youtube.

Prince

from Wikipedia:
Rave Un2 the Year 2000 is a 2000 direct to video film of Prince in concert. Although taped earlier in December, 1999, the concert was originally broadcast via Pay-per-view on New Year's Eve, 1999. The concert features several notable cover versions, and some Prince's biggest hits. Special guests included former band associates, Rosie Gaines and Morris Day, funk legends Maceo Parker and members of The Family Stone such as bass player Larry Graham, as well as funk-rock performer, Lenny Kravitz. The concert is notable for "retiring" Prince's classic hit, "1999" (although it would be reintroduced to his performances in subsequent years).

Track listing

"Let's Go Crazy"
"She's Always in My Hair"
"U Got the Look"
"Kiss"
"Jungle Love" (Morris Day and the Time)
"The Bird" (Morris Day and the Time)
"American Woman" (Lenny Kravitz)
"Fly Away" (Lenny Kravitz)
"Gett Off"
Medley (Rosie Gaines, Mike Scott, Maceo Parker)
"It's Alright"
"Everyday People" (Cynthia Robinson, Jerry Martini)
"Higher"
"Purple Rain"
"The Christ" (retitled version of "The Cross")
Blues Medley (Maceo Parker, Johnny Blackshire)
"Nothing Compares 2 U"
"Take Me with U"/"Raspberry Beret"(with Mr. Happy instrumental coda)
"The Greatest Romance Ever Sold"
"Baby Knows"
"1999 sample intro"
"Baby I'm a Star"
"1999"

Available on Amazon.

I can't articulate Prince's place in my life from my mid-teen to today. I literally can't do it. I am not a "mega fan" or whatever that stupid accolade is, or anything like that. But my best friend since childhood and I email almost every day and Prince comes up at least once every 2 weeks, and in myriad ways -- most recently we were talking about his relationship with drumming/rhythm, and 10 days ago I sent him a video of Kevin Smith talking for 30+ minutes about when he and Prince worked together---we had mixed reactions to that one, but if you're down for a long listen, Kevin Smith is a good storyteller, even tho he had a mixed experience with him---most of it (my friend and I concluded, has more to do with Kevin Smith than with Prince, fwiw).

with that said, it did irritate me that Prince was so stalwartly opposed to music-sharing via social media. Believe me, I know his argument. And he was entitled to his position, obviously. But, still, it bugged me. However, not being a "mega fan" of anybody, I don't expect to be 100% aligned with them. I took Prince staunch stance on web/social music-sharing in the same way I accept that Keith is a curmudgeon about music newer than the mid-1970s (except his own).

Anyway...I'm enjoying the sharing going on today - and can't wait to see what emerges from the vaults. The above-mentioned Kevin Smith interview indicates there are not only thousands of songs---but tons of videos for said songs that Prince just didn't feel like releasing. (As Morris Day might exclaim: "Release it!" smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: April 23, 2016 02:13

RipThisBone
swiss
Ket
RipThisBone
Cristiano Radtke
Keith on Prince:

[twitter.com]

-swiss

thumbs up

Keith was more influeced by Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters and maybe by Mick Jagger also.
Prince made a few nice songs, but he did not write HOT STUFF in 1975.
COME ON...

edit: Lousy version of HTW by the way. Lyrcics are important.Was Prince a dyslectic?

That's not what I was saying. I don't agree with Keith--at all. I'm simply saying I don't appreciate what might resemble hypocrisy, opportuniism, or pandering. If KR didn't like or appreciate Prince--fine. No need to change your tune and tweet some after the fact sentimentality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 02:47 by swiss.

Date: April 23, 2016 02:24

swiss
No need to change your tune and tweet some after the fact sentimentality.

Personally I don't think Keith would have wasted his time and said anything if he didn't have some genuine grief and sympathy.
What could he possibly gain by saying something he doesn't truly believe in?

Date: April 23, 2016 04:59

imo prince had a brilliant run of albums dirty mind, controversy, 1999, purple rain, around the world in a day, parade and sign o the times and 2 of those are double albums. add to that diamonds and pearls, love symbol and gold experience. what an output

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: April 23, 2016 05:43

That's the thing ... I do like some of Prince's music and greatly respect his overall ability (and I'm hardly looking for any attention and I'm not about to step down for expressing my opinion of someone's music.)

It's just I don't think his catalogue was representative of his immense talent. He always said he didn't do press because he didn't want to be talked about as a person, he wanted his music to do all the talking. OK, so I'm just offering my opinion of his records. How is that poor form? And yes, if you are going to call someone a genius then songwriting is part of that.

Pretty sure "I Would Die 4 You'' "Let's Go Crazy'' "Rasberry Beret'' and "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World'' etc. are not going to be remembered by history the same way songs by the Beatles and Stones are, and yet everyone is mourning him as such.

I'm sorry he has passed, far too young, and his talent will be missed, but let's be honest here: Until Thursday, when was the last time a thread was created on this website to talk about Prince's great talent?

When was the last time anyone on this site mentioned him at all?

Seems like me and Keith are the only two people on earth who aren't completely impressed. I'll take that.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: April 23, 2016 05:53

Amazing Honky Tonk Woman. Prince could play guitar any way he wanted to, he was amazing. I view him as coming up through the disco/dance music scene, with songs like Controversy and I Wanna Be Your Lover. In the early days rockers probably looked down on him as "disco crap" but he could clearly spin circles around most rock guitarists. And now, rock music is just a minor part of the music scene, and what evolved out of disco has pretty much taken over. It just goes to show that there were a lot of really talented people behind the original disco music scene.

Ironically, even though what evolved out of the disco scene has taken over, I will say that most of it is crap. Call me a curmudgeon, but most of what you hear in the popular music scene today is crap. However, early disco was great. Everything is upside-down - if you are over 40. <<< Sounding just like our parents. >>>

Date: April 23, 2016 07:12

chester
when was the last time a thread was created on this website to talk about Prince's great talent?

Last year (though not all of the responses praise him): [www.iorr.org]

chester
When was the last time anyone on this site mentioned him at all?

He's mentioned quite often on this site (positively and negatively) - evidently you don't come around here often?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 07:14 by Hairball.

Date: April 23, 2016 07:22

Chester
Pretty sure "I Would Die 4 You'' "Let's Go Crazy'' "Rasberry Beret'' and "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World'' etc. are not going to be remembered by history the same way songs by the Beatles and Stones are, and yet everyone is mourning him as such.

I have a feeling people will be referring to those exact songs long after Chester and 24FPS have settled into a long dirt nap, separately.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1326
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home