Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15
Re: R.I.P. Prince
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 27, 2016 04:17

Just watched Prince channel Hendrix. All I can say is Holy fluck! What a player's player he was on guitar.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 27, 2016 06:57

Funny Jimmy Fallon story about Prince:
[www.startribune.com]

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: April 27, 2016 09:35

Prince was an amazing guitar player. Way better than some of these so called Guitar Gods.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: April 27, 2016 11:33

prince was great on stage, singer, dancer and awesome guitar player, played 21 nights at 02 london went to 4 concerts and he kept changing the set list and sat night went to private club gig and set list was diff again,gone too soon, sad, sad, sad.PRINCE MUSIC WILL BE PLAYED FOREVER HE IS CHARTS AGAIN.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 27, 2016 13:26

Prince on Larry King Live, 1999.
Unbelievable, that this shy guy exploded on stage...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 27, 2016 19:05

such a big loss , this one hit me really hard !!!!!!!!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 27, 2016 21:54

TooTough
Prince on Larry King Live, 1999.
Unbelievable, that this shy guy exploded on stage...

[www.youtube.com]

Drugs help.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 28, 2016 01:59

first public performance of purple rain.

[youtu.be]

Date: April 28, 2016 02:01

Lenny K remembers his good friend Prince:
[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 28, 2016 11:42

I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks to see the Cure & think I'm going to check out Purple Reign on 1 of the other nights. Normally I wouldn't go to a tribute show but I saw these guys on Letterman & they were quite good. Given the circumstances, seems like a good move. Anybody else seen these guys?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 28, 2016 18:19

crholmstrom
I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks to see the Cure & think I'm going to check out Purple Reign on 1 of the other nights. Normally I wouldn't go to a tribute show but I saw these guys on Letterman & they were quite good. Given the circumstances, seems like a good move. Anybody else seen these guys?

I'm pretty sure this is the band I saw there some years ago. They were very good. Especially notable is the female dancer they had performing with them. Quite entertaining on the whole. I'm glad I went.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 29, 2016 09:59

angee
crholmstrom

I'm pretty sure this is the band I saw there some years ago. They were very good. Especially notable is the female dancer they had performing with them. Quite entertaining on the whole. I'm glad I went.

thanks!smoking smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 29, 2016 10:32

35love
[www.rollingstone.com]

Whenever someone dies, nearly everyone seems to claim to be their "good friend".

Date: April 29, 2016 12:29

jlowe
35love
[www.rollingstone.com]

Whenever someone dies, nearly everyone seems to claim to be their "good friend".

*agree, but this article rang sincere. Here's one paragraph:

"I saw him so much, in and out, that I can't remember the last time we spoke. I heard about the plane landing the other week. And I knew what it was. I thought, "Okay, he dodged a bullet. Close call, but it's a one-off and we move on." And then a week later, I got the news. It knocked me really out. I still haven't really recovered. Not to be dramatic or overly sensitive, but I really feel like a piece of me died."

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 29, 2016 14:21

Chester
I never said "No biggie.''
I never said "So the F what.''
I never said "I heard better.''

Just like you, I have seen him live.
And just like you, I thought his musical ability was from another planet.

I just happen to think a musician from another planet should be held to the highest of standards and he was capable of better records than he put out, records that will stand the test of time and be remembered in history and I don't think his will.

I'm not saying they were all terrible, quite the contrary, I just thought someone that gifted was capable of better records.

Sorry, just my opinion.
i agree and i wish i wouldnt. He was fantastic, great outstanding artist musician and producer and songwriter and unlike you i do think "die 4u" will stand but i dont think hos official output has aged well and i doubt that will change. He could have been THE Beatles or Hendrix of the 80s but maybe perfection got to him. Or the 80s.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 29, 2016 14:28

cHESTER AND RED HOT CARPET...THANK YOU!

COULDN'T AGREE MORE...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2016 14:57

Redhotcarpet

He could have been THE Beatles or Hendrix of the 80s but maybe perfection got to him. Or the 80s.

... or his mistrust for other people? He would have benefited from having a producer next to him.
Basically there are two sorts of artists who need a producer : lazy ones who need to be propelled by an external authority and overactive ones who need someone to channel their creativity.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: April 29, 2016 18:41

The man who made Prince’s last guitar

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: April 29, 2016 20:01

dcba
Redhotcarpet

He could have been THE Beatles or Hendrix of the 80s but maybe perfection got to him. Or the 80s.

... or his mistrust for other people? He would have benefited from having a producer next to him.
Basically there are two sorts of artists who need a producer : lazy ones who need to be propelled by an external authority and overactive ones who need someone to channel their creativity.
yes. I agree

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 29, 2016 21:23

dcba
Redhotcarpet

How does Dylan/Jack Frost fit into this theory?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 29, 2016 23:58

Well Dylan is currently in a "let's go back to 1932 and cut this song in one take on a wax cylinder" so he doesn't really fit.
But the hyperactive Dylan of the 1960's was very lucky to find Bob Johnston... (imo).

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 30, 2016 01:16

Prince dying made me really think about his place in music. I was at the University of Waterloo in 1983 and I saw a TV commercial for an upcoming Prince show in Buffalo. I said Holy Moly to myself and bought 1999 soon after that. Started following his career from then on. Saw him in 1988, 1993 and 2002. He was one of the greatest performers I ever saw. An amazing guitarist and singer. I'd say he was one of those figures who takes the past and alamgamates it into the future. He drew heavily from James Brown and Hendrix for the guitar but he also had Little Richard, Sly Stone, George Clinton, Smokey Robinson thrown in there. I still love the raw sexual stuff - political correctness be damned. Prince was a law unto himself much like that other Gemini from Minnesota. I am going to miss him. Thank God I paid for a hotfile account and downloaded all essential Prince boots before they were taken down. That will be my summer listening project. I took him for granted but he was a giant. I love the story of him opening for the Stones in 1981 and how Jagger told him he got hit with projectiles and the fans liked him so don't complain. Prince was the real deal.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 30, 2016 06:55

Killer Country meets R&B tribute version of Nothing Compares 2U by Chris Stapleton.

Date: April 30, 2016 09:21

Chester
I grew up in Minneapolis, have been to First Avenue many times, and have seen Prince in concert.

I stand by my post.

Someone with that amount of God-given talent should have been capable of writing something better than "It's just another Manic Monday, I wish it was Sunday, That's my Fun Day.''

That's not being ignorant.

That's being honest and perhaps this message board could use a bit more it at times.
+1

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 30, 2016 12:12

stewedandkeefed
I love the story of him opening for the Stones in 1981 and how Jagger told him he got hit with projectiles and the fans liked him so don't complain.

I have tried and failed to decipher what it was that Jagger told Prince.
I know he opened for the Stones and the public threw vegetables and so on,
and he left the stage after 15 minutes but came back to open the second show anyway,
but I don't know what Jagger told Prince. Any clarity will be gratefully received.

Love and light to him, and thanks and praises.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: April 30, 2016 14:26

with sssoul
stewedandkeefed
I love the story of him opening for the Stones in 1981 and how Jagger told him he got hit with projectiles and the fans liked him so don't complain.

and he left the stage after 15 minutes but came back to open the second show anyway,
but I don't know what Jagger told Prince. Any clarity will be gratefully received.

And who brings vegetables to a Stones concert? Bloody foodies!

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 30, 2016 16:15

with sssoul
stewedandkeefed

with sssoul, I just posted a pretty lengthy response to what you're wondering about here in this other thread -- to streamline the topic to make it easier for anyone in the future who wants to find that specific topic, rather than scrolling through this RIP thread.

Doesn't look like there's more (yet) about exactly what Mick said, other than what is quoted in Rolling Stones (which, again, is included in this thread).

- swiss

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 30, 2016 19:05

Thanks, swiss!

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 30, 2016 23:18

Brits 2006. another treat for those who get it.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 1, 2016 02:27

camper88
Killer Country meets R&B tribute version of Nothing Compares 2U by Chris Stapleton.

That was very, very cool. Much thanks for the link camper!

Here is another awesome cover of the tune by Chris Cornell.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-01 02:31 by Naturalust.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 11 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1270
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home