Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jamming With Edward letter from Jagger insert question
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:32

Did I dream it?

I got Jamming With Edward shortly after it came out in '72. As I recall there was a printed letter on a facsimile of Rolling Stones Records stationery from Mick explaining the project and how it filled the time "while they were waiting for the guitarist to get out of bed" or words to that effect.

At the tender age of 14 I didn't understand why the letter was in the package anyway so I must have thrown it away.

I've been trying to find a copy with the letter in it ever since. Did these exist or am I "misremembering"?

Re: Jamming With Edward letter from Jagger insert question
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:34

It exists. When Virgin issued it on CD in the mid-nineties, they reproduced the letter inside the booklet.

Date: April 19, 2016 16:37

Here it is:

[rocksoff.org]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:44

As I recall, the LP was released at a reduced price because it was considered a throwaway, cost little to produce, and not worth what a "real" record was, and the note was part of that explanation.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:54

Here we go with inner part of the CD booklet

And CD itself. This one is made in Italy but there is exactly the same made in UK

And BTW there is a systematic bug (probably, defective glass master or defective master tape). All the CDs I have heard have a skip at 0:08-0:09 of the 1st track. Some drives just hang in that area when you try to rip the track.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:59

Rokyfan
As I recall, the LP was released at a reduced price because it was considered a throwaway, cost little to produce, and not worth what a "real" record was, and the note was part of that explanation.

Yes, sticker on German LP says:

Sonderpreis DM 15,00

I don't have the letter with the LP, but I remember the text and I did not buy the CD version, could be the letter was part of the advertisements in the papers?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 19, 2016 20:06

Keith missing recording sessions eh?
I was always bemused as to why Mick was happy to release this when far more worthy material was to lie in the vaults for 30 plus years. Oh and still does, in many cases.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 19, 2016 20:11

The letter was in with the LP. I bought it from a small record stall in Gloucester rd tube station in 1980 - I am certain I played it much longer than Mick et al took making it - I wore the LP to death and still play the CD even now...........

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 19, 2016 22:31

Great album

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 20, 2016 00:49

I just looked at my copy, bought when it came out, and if there was an insert I must have lost it. But I was surprised to note that the inner paper sleeve has the Stones tongue logo on both sides, making it look more like an official Stones release than I'd have expected.

Edit: It looks like the insert was written some time after the original release, which would explain why I don't have one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 00:52 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: April 20, 2016 03:49

ironbelly
And BTW there is a systematic bug (probably, defective glass master or defective master tape). All the CDs I have heard have a skip at 0:08-0:09 of the 1st track. Some drives just hang in that area when you try to rip the track.

That's not just a rough cut on the tape? I thought this is on the vinyl too.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 20, 2016 10:34

rbk
At the tender age of 14 I didn't understand why the letter was in the package anyway so I must have thrown it away.
grinning smiley
"Why is there a letter from Mick Jagger in my album sleeve?" *shrugs* *throws it away*

I haven't listened to this album in many years. It reminds me of how starved we were on "vaults" recordings 20 years ago.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: April 20, 2016 11:43

nick
ironbelly

That's not just a rough cut on the tape? I thought this is on the vinyl too.
If that is a rough cut on the tape it has characteristics (wave front) that puzzles CD-ROM during ripping. The drive starts to correct errors at that point. Some drives return reading error in accurate ripping mode and refuse to continue. I have 2 CDs - Italian as pictured above and UK pressing from EMI Swindon factory. Digitally they are clones. And both have problem point I mentioned above. The same goes with CDs in my friends collections.

Here is that problematic position

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 11:58 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 20, 2016 13:21

I bought Jamming when it first came out.

Couldn't for the life of me figure out why it was released...

...and still haven't a clue confused smiley

Date: April 20, 2016 18:57

Despite Atlantic's promotion at the time claiming the session was from "last year," it was from April 1969. One theory for its release was that since Ry Cooder was extremely vocal that he was ripped off and the Stones did a sponge job on him, they released the session (or edited highlights) to show just what he contributed. By crediting the songwriting to Hopkins/Cooder/Watts they circumvented ABKCO and kept the publishing wit'h Promopub. "The Boudoir Stomp" has a passing resemblance to "Midnight Rambler," but these are jams, not songs. At the time, Jagger and Richards were able to find inspiration in such jams to build songs. Obviously Mick isn't interested in working with Keith that way any more, but much of the long-standing arguments over songwriting credits being denied lie with jams such as these. More recently, some of the EXILE bonus tracks in 2010 were developed from jams such as this with at least one track largely consisting of Nicky playing piano as the basis for a "new" song.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 20, 2016 19:12

When I bought it in 90's, that skip at the start drove me nuts, returned about 3 CD's before giving up. grinning smiley

It sounds like a digital blip, but I guess it could be a cut in the tape, or when theykick in recording as a jam kicks off.

Is it on the original LP?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 20, 2016 19:30

Rocky Dijon
Despite Atlantic's promotion at the time claiming the session was from "last year," it was from April 1969. One theory for its release was that since Ry Cooder was extremely vocal that he was ripped off and the Stones did a sponge job on him, they released the session (or edited highlights) to show just what he contributed. By crediting the songwriting to Hopkins/Cooder/Watts they circumvented ABKCO and kept the publishing wit'h Promopub. "The Boudoir Stomp" has a passing resemblance to "Midnight Rambler," but these are jams, not songs. At the time, Jagger and Richards were able to find inspiration in such jams to build songs. Obviously Mick isn't interested in working with Keith that way any more, but much of the long-standing arguments over songwriting credits being denied lie with jams such as these. More recently, some of the EXILE bonus tracks in 2010 were developed from jams such as this with at least one track largely consisting of Nicky playing piano as the basis for a "new" song.

Thanks Rocky,

That's very interesting.

Certainly beats my own tongue in cheek theory.
...That if Decca can release a load of old bollocks...we can release a load of even bigger bollocks !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 19:37 by Spud.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 20, 2016 20:11

jlowe
Keith missing recording sessions eh?
I was always bemused as to why Mick was happy to release this when far more worthy material was to lie in the vaults for 30 plus years. Oh and still does, in many cases.

Kieth may have missed the sessions but he isn't missed on the sessions and result..........I love his playing but it would have been a complete other album

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 20, 2016 20:18

Not missing, just late. grinning smiley

Posted by: nick ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:08

When I got the CD and heard that it simply seemed like a splice. The vocals just cut and the music was cut into a lot more than a skip.

Whoever puts on the vinyl and listens will have the answer.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: April 21, 2016 04:53

I can't play the vinyl anymore, but I distinctly remember that splice, and I now hear it on a downloaded version from the Limewire days.

I think it's a tape splice. You hear Mick say, "Stu? Is that all right, or should I set the echo up?" Then it slips right into mid-jam.

Interesting that a drive would get caught up on that spot. Maybe some techie can explain why that would happen when it's part of the track and not a defect.

T@3

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 21, 2016 15:24

i like the letter....it is very jagger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home