Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Rich Cohen book : The Sun & The Moon & The Rolling Stones
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 16, 2016 13:35

jlowe
Uum....another scissors and paste job? The wrting flows, however.
Bill Wyman:Renaissance Man?!

Some mistakes, I think:
-From what I recall Bianca did not come from a rich family
-Eric Clapton, in his heroin period, did not use needles.

Yeah, it's well written and has a few details I hadn't heard before. Some thing are a bit dubious, as usual when it comes to Nellcote era Stones history, such as the swastikas in the cellar vents.

I agree about Clapton. According to his own autobiography, he snorted massive amounts of heroin because he wouldn't go anywhere near a needle during his whole addiction peroid. Him shooting up at Nellcote? Probably not. Passing out from drugs? Maybe yes.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 17, 2016 01:49

I wonder what Exile outtakes he's referring to where Mick says "All right, all right, here we go." ?

Also I didn't remember that Klein "Nanker Pheldge" Inc. story from Rupert's book?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 17, 2016 19:57

gotdablouse
I wonder what Exile outtakes he's referring to where Mick says "All right, all right, here we go." ?

Also I didn't remember that Klein "Nanker Pheldge" Inc. story from Rupert's book?

Often authors are a bit sloppy when it comes to references. I haven't read the Prince's book, but maybe Cohen ASSUMES its mentioned given the nature of the tome.
So many books are disappointing though in that they repeat the same tale over and over again. No new angle or insight.
So ok Klein was their Business Manager but up to 1965 taxes were paid, courtesy of first Manager Eric Easton, also they did have British Advisers and Legal people who can't have been in Klein's employment.
And the constant blaming of the UK Tax regime at the time: There were many high earners at the time who paid their taxes AND didn't escape abroad.
Blame culture, no sense of responsibility.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 21, 2016 19:47

Dave Davies isn't happy!
[www.facebook.com]

An open letter to Rich Cohen, Random House and Slate magazine.
For the record, I would like to correct a falsehood published in author Rich Cohen’s recent book ‘The Sun & the Moon & the Rolling Stones’. In a passage about the Rolling Stones’ song Satisfaction, a song which came out in 1965, the year after our worldwide hit Kinks song 'You Really Got Me' written by my brother Ray was released in 1964, Mr. Cohen states that Ray and I got into 'a fight' after which ‘one’ of us slashed my green amp to create my famous distorted guitar sound.
Cohen states, 'The sound was akin to the lead on the Kinks’ “You Really Got Me,” which, according to legend, resulted from a fight between Dave Davies and Ray Davies. One of the brothers cut a speaker with a razor blade, causing the same sort of snarled line Richards achieved with the fuzz pedal.'
Mr. Cohen and Slate magazine editors have refused to provide a source for this passage despite repeated requests from my staff. As I have stated in interviews and print since 1964, I was alone at home in the front room of 6 Denmark Terrace in Muswell Hill North London when I got angry because I was upset about being separated from my girlfriend. I slashed the speaker cone with a razor blade IN A FIT OF RAGE. Ray was not with me. I was alone in my ANGER. IT had nothing to do with a fight with my brother.
My friend and peer Jimi Hendrix told me some years later that he loved my guitar sound and that 'You Really Got Me' was a landmark record. The casual tone with which Rich Cohen dismisses my innovation is insulting and undermines my singular achievement as if it didn’t matter , A SLIGHT OF HAND. I request an immediate revision of this passage to the book and article excerpt in Slate magazine. In all modesty that guitar tone on You Really Got Me- revolutionized rock guitar and Rock guitar was never the same again. The sound was copied by generations of musicians and still is today.. including Punk rock and heavy metal musicians.
Dave Davies - May 21, 2016

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 21, 2016 20:55

Isn't the correct spelling A SLEIGHT OF HAND ?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 21, 2016 22:53

Deltics
Dave Davies isn't happy!

Funny you can read the exact same anecdote about the the slashing of a speaker cone and the invention of the "rock sound" here... except this time Link Wray invented it!
[weeklywire.com]

Someone must have had the idea...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 21, 2016 22:54

Get fancy and say legerdemain.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 21, 2016 23:14

Deltics
Dave Davies isn't happy!
[www.facebook.com]

An open letter to Rich Cohen, Random House and Slate magazine.
For the record, I would like to correct a falsehood published in author Rich Cohen’s recent book ‘The Sun & the Moon & the Rolling Stones’. In a passage about the Rolling Stones’ song Satisfaction, a song which came out in 1965, the year after our worldwide hit Kinks song 'You Really Got Me' written by my brother Ray was released in 1964, Mr. Cohen states that Ray and I got into 'a fight' after which ‘one’ of us slashed my green amp to create my famous distorted guitar sound.
Cohen states, 'The sound was akin to the lead on the Kinks’ “You Really Got Me,” which, according to legend, resulted from a fight between Dave Davies and Ray Davies. One of the brothers cut a speaker with a razor blade, causing the same sort of snarled line Richards achieved with the fuzz pedal.'
Mr. Cohen and Slate magazine editors have refused to provide a source for this passage despite repeated requests from my staff. As I have stated in interviews and print since 1964, I was alone at home in the front room of 6 Denmark Terrace in Muswell Hill North London when I got angry because I was upset about being separated from my girlfriend. I slashed the speaker cone with a razor blade IN A FIT OF RAGE. Ray was not with me. I was alone in my ANGER. IT had nothing to do with a fight with my brother.
My friend and peer Jimi Hendrix told me some years later that he loved my guitar sound and that 'You Really Got Me' was a landmark record. The casual tone with which Rich Cohen dismisses my innovation is insulting and undermines my singular achievement as if it didn’t matter , A SLIGHT OF HAND. I request an immediate revision of this passage to the book and article excerpt in Slate magazine. In all modesty that guitar tone on You Really Got Me- revolutionized rock guitar and Rock guitar was never the same again. The sound was copied by generations of musicians and still is today.. including Punk rock and heavy metal musicians.

You'd think 50 years in the biz would give him a thicker skin.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: May 22, 2016 00:27

dcba
Deltics
Dave Davies isn't happy!

Funny you can read the exact same anecdote about the the slashing of a speaker cone and the invention of the "rock sound" here... except this time Link Wray invented it!
[weeklywire.com]

Someone must have had the idea...

yes he did

Rumble

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 22, 2016 00:43

And John Lennon claimed I FEEL FINE as the first feedback.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 22, 2016 02:12

Dave: "Everyone says that Keith Richards was the first to show The Blade. I showed my amplifier The Blade long before Keith had a similar inclination towards table tops!"

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 22, 2016 15:57

Deltics
In all modesty that guitar tone on You Really Got Me- revolutionized rock guitar and Rock guitar was never the same again. The sound was copied by generations of musicians and still is today.. including Punk rock and heavy metal musicians.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 22, 2016 18:03

Title5Take1
And John Lennon claimed I FEEL FINE as the first feedback.
Otis Rush probably did that around 1958... smoking smiley

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 22, 2016 22:46

I noticed at least one discrepancy. Cohen says Mick reached out to Christoppher Gibb who hooked him up with Prince Rupert, but I recall an interview with PRL where he said that he had met Mick at some function and they had got to chatting.

As to Bianca - she exaggerated her family background, just as now, and in the past, she chopped 5 years off her age. She was 26 when she married Mick, not 21 as she claimed. Her father was not a diplomat. Her mother ran a lunchbar in Managua.

Dave Davies - harden up.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 22, 2016 23:33

Is it REALLY TRUE that Mick Jagger drove over to Keith's house in CT (Mick coming from NY, presumptively)
before Keith's autobiography 'Life' was going to press,
that Mick Jagger was at Keith Richards house in CT
reading parts of 'Life'
before it came out?
C'mon, is that true?

ETA: would that be the first time MJ has been to that house?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-22 23:36 by 35love.

Date: May 24, 2016 01:13

What ALO thinks: [www.huffingtonpost.com]

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 24, 2016 01:53

i post this same thing every time one of the stones hangers-on writes a book-

here goes:

1.stones hire them
2.they do their job
3.they wear out their welcome
4.mick fires them
5.they write a book
6.book says bad things about mick
7.lather,rinse,repeat

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 24, 2016 19:47

Deltics
What ALO thinks: [www.huffingtonpost.com]

ALO is predictably bitter and cranky.

The Under Assistant East Coast Vinyl Man
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 24, 2016 00:07

ALO speaks. if posted before, oops.

[www.huffingtonpost.com]

Re: The Under Assistant East Coast Vinyl Man
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 24, 2016 00:59

Great read.
ALO is an original, great insights there. Some of it might be blarney, but there's some truth even in that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 24, 2016 01:09

Thanks ... always good ta read ALO's words ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 24, 2016 01:10

Thanks for that, I always enjoy Andrew's writing.
From all of the previews and extracts I'd read, I'd already decided that I wasn't going to bother with Cohen's book. This just confirms it for me.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 24, 2016 01:23

Thanks for the link, dmay. ALO is a fine writer, it's always a pleasure to read his take on the Stones. I'm not in any hurry to read Cohen's book, even less so now.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 24, 2016 01:56

good article. don't know if i'll ever read the book. the conceit is a little too self-serving and the mick n keith bashing seems a little too harsh. we'll never know what the rolling stones means to any of them and the intensity of mick n keith's friendship, relationship and partnership could never be described to outsiders/fans.
creating beggars banquet alone is an experience we'll never have. let alone how many people they thrilled last tour. no where to run, no where to hide.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 24, 2016 16:14

ALO is always an interesting read; his two bios are amongst the very best of Stones related literature around.
So he answered 6 out of 9 questions posed. Was he asked:
-when did you and Mick last speak with each other? 1967?
-why did you do the deals with Allen Klein which meant the Stones couldn't even bid for their copyrights and masters?
-how much Stones related income do you receive each year from ABKCO ?

Answers in a brown paper bag.

Date: May 24, 2016 16:37

Great stuff! thumbs up

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: May 27, 2016 22:47

I got the book yesterday. Had only time to look in it a bit. It doesn't look that great: very large letters, about hundred pages with notes, bibliography (read: where he got everything from and just repeated the stuff), index and even blank pages. So you only get 300 from 400 pages which you realy can read and not a lot about what happened after the seventies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-27 22:49 by GJV.

Date: May 27, 2016 23:19

I liked Cohen's personal anecdotes of his time spent with the Stones, but the rest of the book is half-baked and pretentious. He's sort of the anti-Bill German (a compliment to Bill German). Bizarre Mick okayed such an untried second-rater to write "Vinyl." It's nice that Charlie liked Cohen so much (as Keith told Cohen) but that doesn't mean he should be given carte blanche to write a book or "Vinyl."

Cohen often tries to sound erudite when he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Referring to Gram Parsons as a “Gatsby boy” is moronic considering Parsons was a citress-empire heir born into wealth. Jay Gatsby was born dirt poor and lifted himself up—by dubious means, certainly—into immense wealth. That was Fitzgerald’s point and why he titled the novel The “Great” Gatsby. Cohen tries to tie the Stones’ musical timing in with Einstein’s “time” and “quantum” mechanics in a way that shows Cohen knows nothing about either Einstein’s general theory of relativity or quantum mechanics. A could go on but enough's enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-30 08:51 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 29, 2016 23:37

Just finished it in one sitting on the plane. Absolutely recommend it either as a primer for newbies or as a refresher for the rest of us. Great writing, exhaustive notes at the end. Ignore the prejudgement and negativity from others. More later ...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 30, 2016 00:12

DeanGoodman
Just finished it in one sitting on the plane. Absolutely recommend it either as a primer for newbies or as a refresher for the rest of us. Great writing, exhaustive notes at the end. Ignore the prejudgement and negativity from others. More later ...

thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1862
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home