Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Rich Cohen book : The Sun & The Moon & The Rolling Stones
Date: May 11, 2016 05:34

I think I agree with Swayed. I too saw the initial Daily Mail writings, and dismissed this book, as another one in a long file of sensationalistic books. But what Ive read so far is well written, but more - well thought out.
IMO the main thing is: that this is , maybe for the first time, a book written from the perspective of a young fan born in 70/80. Someone who was not even born when the Stones' glory years were already over. But, who doesn't write as if they had been there, and seen it all first hand.
It bothers me to see talking heads on TV e.g. who speak to me about the Stones , as if from first hand knowledge, lecturing, about the trails of the band, and who look like they are 20 years old. And who most likely never listen to the band .

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 12, 2016 14:31

[email protected]
The STP '72 book was my favorite. I just found Allen Klein's bio on amazon for $1.99 or so I think- Ill wait for this one as well. A Prince Among Stones was also cheap at some point.

Oh, can you give me the link please?
The cheapest I've seen (UK) is £10.45.
Thanks.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 12, 2016 19:24

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 12, 2016 21:30

I want to be quiet until I've completely finished, but I'm up to page 203 and immersed.
I'd say I'm qualified to state:
Rich Cohen is an extreme pleasure to read, and I will look further into his work (books he has written on different subjects, not articles on the Stones)
few random thoughts:
the way he puts the years and dates into his text is brilliant
and, it's mid- way thru now I got my first 'pang' of wanting to defend
Mick Jagger.
Maybe I need to look up the definition of 'monstrous' again,
but way, way harsh.
Also, I realize it 'looks bad' MJ takes a separate vechile out, and has a private pre show ritual,
but maybe it's NECESSARY.
Y'know, to be the very best in the world.
(disclaimer: I am in love with Mick Jagger, lol)
But this is a fantastic book, so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-12 21:31 by 35love.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 12, 2016 22:18

Good God, I've been reading Stones books since my first, David Dalton's 1972 unauthorized biography (which was great). Since then I've read almost all of them, prizing Bill's and Keith's (part of the time) the most. I am absolutely glutted on books about Brian, the end of the Stones, Mick & Keith, blah, blah, blah. After the 80s they became a new creature, pretty much settled down old gangsters, playing the hits for the rubes. (Like me, until fairly recently when I finally said goodbye to them as a live act). You can't convince me that some guy wrote a book that's going to have more insight about the band when he wasn't even around when they were relevant. The only other book that ever needs to be written about the Stones is about 30 years from now when they're gone, almost all of us are gone, and someone can wrap it all up into a nice package. (And those endless hours of tape from Bill Wyman's Crossfire Hurricane Interview).

Re: Do you think this new book (May 10)
Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: May 12, 2016 23:16

with sssoul
Well, it messed up my browser anyway. The wonders of technology!

Same problem here. Some strange script problem.

Date: May 12, 2016 23:28

24FPS
Good God, I've been reading Stones books since my first, David Dalton's 1972 unauthorized biography (which was great). Since then I've read almost all of them, prizing Bill's and Keith's (part of the time) the most. I am absolutely glutted on books about Brian, the end of the Stones, Mick & Keith, blah, blah, blah. After the 80s they became a new creature, pretty much settled down old gangsters, playing the hits for the rubes. (Like me, until fairly recently when I finally said goodbye to them as a live act). You can't convince me that some guy wrote a book that's going to have more insight about the band when he wasn't even around when they were relevant. The only other book that ever needs to be written about the Stones is about 30 years from now when they're gone, almost all of us are gone, and someone can wrap it all up into a nice package. (And those endless hours of tape from Bill Wyman's Crossfire Hurricane Interview).

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I felt the same way (long time super fan, I've read a ton, too)
but the style here, and fresh interviewed feedback/ access the author has/ had,
makes this very enjoyable to me. And the intelligence.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 12, 2016 23:32

Cristiano Radtke
Here we go again:

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards can't stand each other

i like the way the media try to make a story out of this time and time again... as if their history is news

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 13, 2016 00:35

alieb
Cristiano Radtke
Here we go again:

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards can't stand each other

i like the way the media try to make a story out of this time and time again... as if their history is news

Mick and Keith just let it go by, knowing conflict only brings them more publicity. Long as they spell the name right.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 13, 2016 01:11

That's a grade-school-worthy summary of the book. Typical rocket-propelled-grenade of a NY Post headline. Smith is an occasionally interesting culture writer, but more often a rightwing hack.

Date: May 13, 2016 07:37

Alright I'm up to page 267 I'm going to stay up and finish it (this is how decadent I am these days) I've been worried Cohen's gonna hammer me at the ending but I will forgive it now so enriching I'm finding this book, and our shared amazement at 'there is always something strange and new/surprising' in the RS story and history (when I think I've read it all)
page 266 Exile house-

rich cohen on 'Satisfaction'
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 12, 2016 19:11

on Slate today...

[www.slate.com]

Re: rich cohen on 'Satisfaction'
Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 12, 2016 19:24

Interesting, thanks for the post. True the song has been around for ages, but I do not think anything is blase about it. It still jumps out of your speakers in a way the great RnR songs do. The underlying rhythms in the recording are terrific. It was something the band did really well in those days.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 12, 2016 19:26

Thanks!
Great read, I'll have to read the book now.
Interesting the role of Nietzche and Stewart.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 12, 2016 20:51

Thanks much Duke, cool article!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 13, 2016 11:04

Yep, an interesting new take on the ol' satisfaction story ! The Wenner intereview he mentions must be the one from 1995 ? Didn't remember Mick mention his "Thirty Days" theory in there though.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 13, 2016 11:20

gotdablouse
Yep, an interesting new take on the ol' satisfaction story ! The Wenner intereview he mentions must be the one from 1995 ? Didn't remember Mick mention his "Thirty Days" theory in there though.

Yes it was in 1995 :
WENNER: Who wrote “Satisfaction”?
JAGGER: Well, Keith wrote the lick. I think he had this lyric, “I can’t get no satisfaction,” which, actually, is a line in a Chuck Berry song called “30 Days.”

Chuck Berry - 30 days
it's at 1m40s

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 13, 2016 13:56

can somebody provide details about the claims in Cohen's book that Keith almost died in 1987 from heroin ?

Date: May 13, 2016 14:55

The book is looking more tempting. The guy seems to have a credible CV.
Both Stanley Booth and Robert Greenfield wrote great books on their time with the Stones, but as far as I am aware neither were able to follow up.
Talent? Motivation? Substance problems?

Also, I don't think its fair to say a writer can't produce a good book on the band because of their age, as has been suggested earlier in this thread.
The best book may come out in 20 to 30 years time by which time the members will have departed the scene and any fear of litigation will probably be over.
Of course, no publisher may want to take it on, although there has been quite a bit of interest in the recent Sinatra bios.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 13, 2016 16:24

35love
Alright I'm up to page 267 I'm going to stay up and finish it (this is how decadent I am these days) I've been worried Cohen's gonna hammer me at the ending but I will forgive it now so enriching I'm finding this book, and our shared amazement at 'there is always something strange and new/surprising' in the RS story and history (when I think I've read it all)
page 266 Exile house-

Any stories, in the book, that you haven't read before?

Date: May 13, 2016 17:04

MingSubu
35love
page 266 Exile house-

Any stories, in the book, that you haven't read before?

Hi, yes, great insights/ actual recent interviews/ quotes, a few that seemed to never have been mined before and yet the person was present in situations/were there- so definitely yes. And the author traveled himself to lands and places of events.
ETA: He had access, people opened up and spoke to him.
Another thing: it seemed he's read every single mag article, books nooks and crannies available, and was able to cherry pick hidden gems, which don't seem possible, right, but it filled in beautifully, I thought.
End of my review, won't give anything away, thanks Rich Cohen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-13 17:13 by 35love.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 13, 2016 18:13

TheGreek
can somebody provide details about the claims in Cohen's book that Keith almost died in 1987 from heroin ?

On what page are you finding that? It talks about Wyman believing he was going to die in '77. And the fall in Fiji being a "near-death" experience. But I didn't find anything about '87.

I've dipped in and out of the book, and I'm finding it to be same-old, same-old. The stuff about open-g and Cooder is particularly painful. He could have consulted a number of us on this board and gleaned better insights!

And the suggestion that Wyman's scandalous marriage to Mandy Smith may or may not have led him to retire?

How about *definitely* did not!

The scandal had blown over by that time of the Steel Wheels tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-13 18:13 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 13, 2016 18:43

I have the book and am starting it now.
From the excerpts I don't see much except warmed over stories.

He did spend time with the band during one tour and with Mick when developing Vinyl but I don't think his insights necessarily hold out over time. He is an interesting writer, on the whole, and he has a superb publicist, apparently.
I imagine Mick is not happy about this guy printing parts of their conversations.

Oh, at the book's beginning he states that his view is from a Gen X perspective, for what that's worth, from someone
born in a particular generation, as someone stated above.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-13 18:58 by angee.

Date: May 13, 2016 19:13

The OP with the link for the Dailymail.co UK

Date: May 13, 2016 19:29

Altamont and Keith's long time in Switzerland.

Date: May 13, 2016 20:21

Angee, you mentioned the authour has a Gen X perspective which might not be probably would be a unfavorable perspective because the Gen X people i know from work all rag on the Stones esp.Mick Jagger , but then to someone else that could mean they would have a un biased perspective .

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 13, 2016 21:37

Ah, interesting, thanks, TheGreek. Yes, some might consider them unbiased and yet, with what you know, they may have a negative bias.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 16, 2016 06:02

Secrets of the “Exile” sessions: Drugs, sex and madness as the Rolling Stones took over France
Behind the scenes with the Rolling Stones - and all the women, musicians and hangers-on - as they stormed Paris

[www.salon.com]

Date: May 16, 2016 11:08

Uum....another scissors and paste job? The wrting flows, however.
Bill Wyman:Renaissance Man?!

Some mistakes, I think:
-From what I recall Bianca did not come from a rich family
-Eric Clapton, in his heroin period, did not use needles.

Date: May 16, 2016 12:28

24FPS

Much of this could be me writing. Books on RS is one of the things I love; and I started with Dalton's great grey book. How many times did I read that book? But all the great Stones book; even the data books. Read Aeppli,Hoffmann, Karnbach cover to cover. There's been too many books on them by now. So I did't even give this book a second thought. But what 24FPS lists as a liability, I see as an asset. That the book is written by a generation that was not even alive when the Stones began. They are alive, out there digging the Stones - but coming at it from a completely different perspective.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home