Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Rich Cohen book : The Sun & The Moon & The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:06

Too funny!
bv
Well after I read about this book I will become a munk and drink trappist beer and think about life only, no more Stones for me, at least not for the rest of today.

Re: Do you think this new book (May 10)
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:11

There already are a couple of threads about that book, the bromance one had good links to extracts, seemed like an updated version of German"s book

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:21

Can someone pick out the juicy bits for me to comment on?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:36

35love
Well, say what you want, but Mick's dating the most beautiful gal on the planet:
[www.wmagazine.com]

Erm, no.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 19, 2016 20:58

The RS article was dull? Well most of them in the music press are, they seem to be PR items, so don't offend the stars, please.
In the UK the best rock journalism is found in papers like The Guardian or Times.
Not many people in the UK will have a clue who Rich Cohen is, can't see the book troubling the best seller list, imo.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 19, 2016 21:12

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 19, 2016 22:12

Yet another Stones book?

I read a partial review from a London tabloid whereby some info was revealed...nothing new, it seems. There's no way I'll be purchasing a copy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-19 22:14 by nightskyman.

Date: April 19, 2016 22:24

Why do they give an all access pass to a gossip-writer?

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 19, 2016 23:01

detroitken
those monks make some great beer....

Yes I have heard the same!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 19, 2016 23:25

an attempt to profit from his time among the Stones.

cheap treatment it looks like, in the excerpt..

too bad, could have been a good one, like Stanley Booth's, with all the access he had.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 20, 2016 01:36

Stoneage
Why do they give an all access pass to a gossip-writer?

He was working with Jagger on the screenplays for Vinyl. So he used that access for a different purpose -- kinda underhanded, imo.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 08:12

I believe I owe Richard Cohen and his customers an apology. Having read that sensationalized trashy article in the Daily Mail I assumed that Rich was a bottom-feeder and that his new book was targeting the cretins from the supermarket book club. Good gravy, I couldn’t have been more wrong. The reviewers on Amazon assure me that owning this book is a matter of absolute necessity. Here are several choice quotes from the shills who received free copies.

Shill #1: Me? I don't particularly like biographies or often read books about rock bands. But, when I was offered a chance to read a review copy of this book, being a lifetime Rolling Stones fan, I jumped on it. Then I wondered why. It's not like I've had any interest in reading about them before.
Well, I'm glad I did pick up this book. I couldn't put it down!

Shill #2: I am obsessed with this book, crave it when I have to put it down to do other things.

Shill #3: I was not sure that the world needed yet another biography starting with "The meeting of Mick and Keith" and focusing on the golden years.
I was wrong. The world does need this book.

Shill #4: Although Rich toured with the band in the 90's, he sure filled the gaps of the early years very well.... which I found fascinating. Seems we all knew the Beatles beginnings, but not the Stones...
...and me personally? I'll never look at a Mars Bar the same way again EVER!

Shill #5: So the question is: do we really need another book about the Rolling Stones after so much has already been written about them…including the autobiography Life by Keith Richards in 2010? After racing through the pages of The Sun and The Moon and The Rolling Stones, I must enthusiastically say, “yes!”

Shill #6: This may be the best book ever done on the Rolling Stones.
anyway, this book will stay on my coffee table forever... a great conversation piece for rock fans (most all of my friends and family).

Former professional guitarist, now complete moron: I used to be a professional guitarist. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get Keith Richard's simple sounding lead lick near the beginning of Honky Tonk Women quite right. I came real close, but never got it. Here I found out why: Richards plays it in open tuning; I would have never dreamed of that!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 08:15 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: April 20, 2016 08:26

Date: April 20, 2016 08:32

Well after I read about this book I will become a munk and drink trappist beer and think about life only, no more Stones for me, at least not for the rest of today.

That one gave me a very nice guffaw!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: April 20, 2016 08:39

This may be the name of the next book some kid dreams about writing...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 08:41 by jambay.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 20, 2016 13:52

Like most here, I am well acquainted with the Stones' history. I am much more interested in the glimmers relationship today, which I suspect is vastly different. I'll probably take a look at this book anyway, and then join Bjornulf for a tappist beer. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 13:54 by latebloomer.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 14:18

Will sit in a well known London bookstore on a rainy day and read all of most of if. Have done this a few times beforesmiling smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 20, 2016 23:13

desertblues68
Will sit in a well known London bookstore on a rainy day and read all of most of if. Have done this a few times beforesmiling smileysmileys with beer

Yes Waterstones is great for that. Some very comfy chairs.I once thought of asking one of the assistants to bring a coffee, but thought maybe that was taking the mickey too far.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 20, 2016 23:15

I think all the sentiments here are in agreement.
It's all been said before. He violated his relationship with
a guy that trusted him to print what very little might not have
been talked about already for years. A money grab while the Stones
are super in the news for the past few years. CUBA, Totally Stripped, new album, Exibitionism, a potential of more live shows...The Stones couldn't be any hotter right now. If I want to read Stones bashing, I'll come to IORR.ORG! SAD SAD SAD....is all I can
say.

I mean shit...."The Stones are great, but let me let you in on a little secret, sometimes Mick and Keith hate each other, and they are doing what they do best for money, AND if you can't keep up with them you'll be let go." Somebody send me some @#$%& money.

Date: April 20, 2016 23:31

Bloomer
I'll probably take a look at this book anyway, and then join Bjornulf for a tappist beer

Trappist monks, Bloomer. They produce holy beer. And, not least, raise the lambs
whose wool is used to make the pallia of new metropolitan archbishops...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 20, 2016 23:38

Stoneage
Bloomer
I'll probably take a look at this book anyway, and then join Bjornulf for a tappist beer

Trappist monks, Bloomer. They produce holy beer. And, not least, raise the lambs
whose wool is used to make the pallia of new metropolitan archbishops...

HAH HAH!! Typos are my middle name these days, Stoneage...been spending too much time with my keyboard and he's starting to ignore me and take me for granted. grinning smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 20, 2016 23:54

Swayed1967
I believe I owe Richard Cohen and his customers an apology. Having read that sensationalized trashy article in the Daily Mail I assumed that Rich was a bottom-feeder and that his new book was targeting the cretins from the supermarket book club. Good gravy, I couldn’t have been more wrong. The reviewers on Amazon assure me that owning this book is a matter of absolute necessity. Here are several choice quotes from the shills who received free copies.

Shill #1: Me? I don't particularly like biographies or often read books about rock bands. But, when I was offered a chance to read a review copy of this book, being a lifetime Rolling Stones fan, I jumped on it. Then I wondered why. It's not like I've had any interest in reading about them before.
Well, I'm glad I did pick up this book. I couldn't put it down!

Shill #2: I am obsessed with this book, crave it when I have to put it down to do other things.

Shill #3: I was not sure that the world needed yet another biography starting with "The meeting of Mick and Keith" and focusing on the golden years.
I was wrong. The world does need this book.

Shill #4: Although Rich toured with the band in the 90's, he sure filled the gaps of the early years very well.... which I found fascinating. Seems we all knew the Beatles beginnings, but not the Stones...
...and me personally? I'll never look at a Mars Bar the same way again EVER!

Shill #5: So the question is: do we really need another book about the Rolling Stones after so much has already been written about them…including the autobiography Life by Keith Richards in 2010? After racing through the pages of The Sun and The Moon and The Rolling Stones, I must enthusiastically say, “yes!”

Shill #6: This may be the best book ever done on the Rolling Stones.
anyway, this book will stay on my coffee table forever... a great conversation piece for rock fans (most all of my friends and family).

Former professional guitarist, now complete moron: I used to be a professional guitarist. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get Keith Richard's simple sounding lead lick near the beginning of Honky Tonk Women quite right. I came real close, but never got it. Here I found out why: Richards plays it in open tuning; I would have never dreamed of that!

There organizations/companies whom are hired to write
such glowing reviews and promote the same on social
media. Usually pretty easy to spot and this seems to
be the case here.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 21, 2016 00:02

jlowe
desertblues68

Yes Waterstones is great for that. Some very comfy chairs.I once thought of asking one of the assistants to bring a coffee, but thought maybe that was taking the mickey too far.

Our local Barnes & Nobel bookstore actually has a Starbucks location inside it now... Too bad for me that I can't stand Starbucks.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 21, 2016 00:06

Maybe... the book's been sanctioned okay? Publicity? Not sure what would turn me off more: treachery, or being made a fool with publicity marketing for selling, okay'd by corporate RS.
Which is why I initially asked/ wondered/ started the thread to see if anyone heard of Cohen's true motivation.
Maybe he alludes to it in a preface.
If anyone cares, I'll check back in here with some thoughts after I read the book.

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: April 21, 2016 18:52

the guy met the stones in the 90s, but is going to tell us "inside stuff" from the 60s and 70s??

Sounds like just it'll be just a bunch of rehashed tales we've all read already.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 21, 2016 20:24

Rockman
I was making love last night
To a dancer friend of mine.
I can't seem to stay in step,
'Cause she come ev'ry time that she pirouettes over me.

........................... Rocks Off - Jagger Richards

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 7, 2016 00:46

The Rolling Stones’ Guide to Business Success

The band is among the most dynamic, profitable and durable corporations in the world. Five lessons for CEOs and entrepreneurs

By Rich Cohen
May 6, 2016 10:24 a.m. ET

The greatness of the Rolling Stones—that stunning library of guitar licks and lyrics, the decades of tabloid feuds and imbroglios, the packed stadiums—obscures a more interesting fact: For the past 50-plus years, this band, formed in a London pub in 1962, has been among the most dynamic, profitable and durable corporations in the world. In the course of my lifelong study of the world’s greatest rock band, I’ve come away with five lessons—strategies that any CEO or entrepreneur should keep in mind while playing the long game.

Choose the right name. The band was originally called Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys. It was Brian Jones, the band’s lead guitarist and first public face, who, on the eve of their first real gig, gave the band the name we know. His eyes fell on the cover of one of his favorite records, “The Best of Muddy Waters,” side one, track five, “Rollin’ Stone.”

It was the band’s early manager, Andrew Oldham, who completed the transformation some months later. “How can you expect people to take you seriously when you can’t even be bothered to spell your name properly?” Thus the Rollin’ Stones became the Rolling Stones, a name that told aficionados everything they needed to know about where the band came from and the sort of music they played.

Know what the market wants from you. When the Stones heard the Beatles first single, “Love Me Do,” on the radio, they were still living in the London dump where they slept three to a bed for warmth. By the time they broke through with a single of their own, the Beatles had already staked out the high ground as the cute, lovable, nonthreatening boys next door. It closed off one avenue but opened another.

“By the time we came along, the Beatles were wearing the white hats,” Keith Richards explained. “So what does that leave us?” Rather than trying to become new Beatles, as many other bands did, the Stones became their opposite: wholesomeness from the Beatles, sleaze from the Stones; love from the Beatles, sex from the Stones. They recognized a niche in the market and filled it.

Beg, borrow, steal. At a time when the British pop charts were filled with bubble gum, Brian, Keith and Mick Jagger turned to Chicago blues. The Stones started as a cover band, playing bastardized versions of the songs they loved. They tried to copy them exactly but couldn’t help dirtying them up with their own experience.

The first real composition by Mick and Keith shows this process in action. Recorded in 1965, “The Last Time” has all the elements that would become characteristic of their best songs: the opening riff, the groove, the lowdown subject matter. It closely follows a version of the gospel song “This May Be the Last Time” by the Staple Singers, but Keith reworked it, adding steel, speed. The biggest change was lyrical. A hymn about Jesus and the Judgment Day became a pop song about girls and teenage comeuppance.

Cut the anchor before it drags you down. The Stones were the creation of Brian Jones, who blew away Mick and Keith when they first heard him play in a London dive. But by the late 1960s, Jones was in trouble, an early drug casualty. He didn’t turn up for sessions, vanished on the road. On June 8, 1969, Mick, Keith and Charlie Watts drove to Brian’s country home and fired him. He’d be dead within a month, laden with booze and pills, drowned in his own pool.

Why have the Stones lasted while all others faded? Whenever I asked an old-timer, I got the same answer. It’s Mick—his clearheadedness, his lack of sentimentality. Kind people don’t make it.

Never stop reinventing. The Stones have gone through at least five stylistic iterations: cover band, ’60s pop, ’60s acid, ’70s groove, ’80s New Wave. At some point, they lost that elasticity and ability to reinvent—they got old—but the fact that they did it so well for so long explains their inexhaustible relevance.

The Stones have lived and died and been reborn again and again. It means that, for many different generations of adults, the sound of high school was the Rolling Stones. Though the Beatles probably surpass the Stones in hits, they don’t come close in reinvention. The Beatles reinvented themselves once, maybe twice. The Stones have reinvented themselves so many times that they might as well be immortal.

—Mr. Cohen’s new book is “The Sun & The Moon & The Rolling Stones,” published next week by Spiegel & Grau.

[www.wsj.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 11, 2016 02:47

I got my old fashioned paper copy today, only up to page 42, but
I Love It.
I figured out, Mr. Cohen's true motivation: He's a writer. Prolific, producing, a calling. The marketing of this book turned me off, I am not sure why, but the product itself sustains hard work, effort, quality.
I thought to myself before starting the book: 'oh no, another same beginning, boring start; met on the train, carrying the records, my God how many times can that be told'
It's very different to me. Fresh. And the quotes, from alive people who were there, none I've read before/ different slant/ easier to grasp/ it's a bigger picture, it's 2016.

Date: May 11, 2016 04:44

The STP '72 book was my favorite. I just found Allen Klein's bio on amazon for $1.99 or so I think- Ill wait for this one as well. A Prince Among Stones was also cheap at some point.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 11, 2016 04:51

Rockman

Wow there must be at least 23 bucks there!!!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home