Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: No Security
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:54

DandelionPowderman
Olly
DandelionPowderman
...Live Licks... the infamous edit on Rocks Off.

Which edit?

Try to find «the sunshine bores the daylight out of me» on that version. Good luck smiling smiley

That edit caused me physical pain and is the main reason I can't listen to Live Licks.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: March 11, 2016 15:57

I didn't think that was an edit (why edit that part out?), rather presumed Jagger got the lyrics wrong.

If it's an edit wouldn't it have been done better? You can hear Fischer start 'The sun-'.

Olly.

Date: March 11, 2016 15:59

Exactly, Olly. But put on Four Flicks from Twickenham. Then you can hear Mick sing it, and not that poorly either. The edit is a mystery..

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 11, 2016 16:10

Dandelionpowderman
I don't think it was that common (even in 1998) to release whole shows as live albums. I might be wrong, though.

...I think Paul Simon's "Concert in the Park" was the first live double-CD I ever bought. Back in 1991... A great live album by the way...

Date: March 11, 2016 16:15

Is it known which performance the version of Rocks Off is taken from?

Perhaps Jagger made the mistake but the version was thought overall to be the best one to put on the album.

Therefore no mystery - the song is heard as it was performed.

Olly.

Date: March 11, 2016 16:19

Olly

Perhaps Jagger made the mistake but the version was thought overall to be the best one to put on the album.

It's the very same version you'll find on Four Flicks from Twickenham, isn't it?

They might have seen the need to edit late in the process, to get as many songs as possible on the record. That's the only explanation I can think of (apart from unfathomable sloppiness).

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 11, 2016 16:22

DandelionPowderman
Olly

It's the very same version you'll find on Four Flicks from Twickenham, isn't it?

They might have seen the need to edit late in the process, to get as many songs as possible on the record. That's the only explanation I can think of (apart from unfathomable sloppiness).

Yes, it's exactly the same recording from Twickenham that also features, unedited, on "Four Flicks".
From Zentgraf: Rocks Off (MJ/KR) -Twickenham 24.8.2003.
The edit is sloppy and painful. You would have got a better result if you'd used a chainsaw.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-11 16:24 by Deltics.

Date: March 11, 2016 16:26

It is quite painfully obvious that "Rocks Off" from Live Licks does not appear as it was performed.

I don't know how it could be any more obvious.

"The su .... click" >>>> fast forward to a completely different part of the song.

Seriously.

The version was not the best overall to put on the album if they had more than 1 performance recorded.

Date: March 11, 2016 16:34

Just re-watched the Four Flicks version.

Hadn't remembered but I presume now that the reason it was edited on Live Licks is that Jagger missed out 'Chasing shadows':

[youtu.be]

Mystery solved.

Olly.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 11, 2016 16:36

DandelionPowderman
I don't think it was that common (even in 1998) to release whole shows as live albums. I might be wrong, though.

Maybe not, but GYYO, Love you live and Still Live have in common that they start with
the show openers and end with the finals. That at least gives the impression we're listening
to (a very compressed) concert. I miss that when listening to No Security.
Nevertheless, the individual quality of most songs on the album is great.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: March 11, 2016 19:43

Stoneage
the infamous edit on Rocks Off
---

Big T

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-29 12:17 by JustinCaseBandDK.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 11, 2016 23:10

I really like "the last time" even if it may be heavily overdubed, great energy and weaving, boy !

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 12, 2016 00:19

Agree about the cover.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 12, 2016 03:59

tk421
Was there ever a high rez or lossless version of the Japanese No Security available? My CD is long gone and been dying to listen to this again. It's the one album I misplaced and the one album they never made available when they went to UMC. Always loved it. Might be in the minority but Flip The Switch was fantastic.

No (official) download available but you can find it here : [www.discogs.com]

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 12, 2016 05:23

This album's concept is pretty good, but in case they're going to re-release it I wish and hope for - no, I actually demand a tracklist like this:

No Security Revisited - Track list:

You Got Me Rocking
Gimmie Shelter
Flip the Switch
Memory Motel (without Dave Matthews)
She's A Rainbow
19th Nervous Breakdown
Saint of Me
Waiting on a Friend
Sister Morphine
Live with Me
Respectable
I Just Want to Make Love to You
Thief in the Night
Crazy Mama
Little Queenie
Out of Control

Could have been a classic with a tracklist like above. As it is now, it's not bad, but a mixed bag of hits and misses and as such, a missed opportunity to produce something really worthwile.

Date: March 12, 2016 11:46

Would be cool. But were those versions of Crazy Mama and She's A Rainbow worthy of release? I'm not sure..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-12 12:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: March 12, 2016 12:05

Pretty good album indeed.
Memory Motel without D.M. would be appreciated.
Personally do not like Thief In The Night, Saint Of Me & Out Of Control. These songs bug me everytime.
Corrina should be replaced with ...whatever. The other stuff is really great.

What´s wrong with the cover art? Something different, I like it. They should start their shows with YGMR, it´s a perfect opener and a modern Stones-classic.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: March 12, 2016 12:07

First new Stones release I didn't bother with, looking at the sales figures nor did too many others

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 12, 2016 12:51

DandelionPowderman
Would be cool. But we're those versions of Crazy Mama and She's A Rainbow worthy of release? I'm not sure..

Well, I have heard some pretty good versions of Crazy Mama and She's A Rainbow back then. Even if I probably was a bit overwhelmed by the excitement of hearing these rarities live, I would accept some doctoring to bring this stuff up to par as long as it's not too obvious.

My attitude has changed over the years (decades...) - whatever purist I've been a long time ago, now I simply don't want to hear "warts 'n all" on official releases, leave that to the bootlegs!

The realization that YaYas has some studio doctoring on certain tracks which don't spoil me at all has probably helped in becoming a bit more generous...

Posted by: gimmedanger ()
Date: March 13, 2016 17:29

send me an email tk421 and I might be able to help you out winking smiley

Posted by: tk421 ()
Date: March 13, 2016 20:09

gimmedanger
send me an email tk421 and I might be able to help you out winking smiley
its all good. Found it last night. Thanks for the offer!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 14, 2016 00:06

Compared with Flashpoint it's really a fine live album.
Unfortunately Memory Motel is ruined by Dave Matthews and Out of Control somehow butchered.

Posted by: gimmedanger ()
Date: March 14, 2016 04:04

No worries!

I've been listening to the album quite a lot recently and it's grown on me. I was initially unimpressed with 'The Last Time' but I kinda like it now. I'm looking forward to hearing more from this era, should a deluxe Stripped come out.

Date: March 14, 2016 11:25

shortfatfanny
Unfortunately Memory Motel is ruined by Dave Matthews and Out of Control somehow butchered.

How?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 14, 2016 13:31

DandelionPowderman
shortfatfanny

How?

If I remember correctly the original from Buenos Aires '98 has been shortened .
But now that you ask I might be mixing it up with something else...

Date: March 14, 2016 13:37

Thanks, I didn’t know that smiling smiley

However, the edit on NS sounds good to me.

Posted by: swaymusik ()
Date: March 14, 2016 14:45

Enjoyable album featuring selections which mostly don't appear on previous official live albums.
...except for the Dave Matthews part...

cool smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:02

DandelionPowderman
If you take your time listening through it, you'll find that these are some of the greatest live performances of those tracks ever. Especially for songs like Out Of Control, Waiting On A Friend, Flip The Switch, You Got Me Rocking and Memory Motel.

Your description of the album is way more fitting with Live Licks, imo, where there are two open G-guitars on the verses on CYHMK (only one of them played by Keith!) and the infamous edit on Rocks Off.

THAT was an album they probably hadn't listened to. NS was something they selected for the fans and worked on themselves.

CYHMK has Keith playing 2 tracks in open G? Now why are you saying that Ronnie's playing is Keith in open G when it's Ronnie in standard?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:06

You can even tell that it's a Strat and not a Tele, the other guitar.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 13, 2016 19:34

Funnily enough, it's Dave Matthews' involvement that is holding up the reissue of this album by Universal. I would prefer a non-Dave Matthews version of "Memory Motel." I'd settle for the STRIPPED COMPANION version with audience noise dubbed over it in true Andrew Oldham fashion. I'd settle for the Jagger-Dave Stewart version that's been bootlegged. Anything but Dave Matthews sounding like Keith's great-grandfather warbling on half the song.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1558
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home