Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: No Security
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 26, 2016 04:00

shortfatfanny
Elmo Lewis
Please re-release with a Stones only version of MM

Best idea !

thumbs up cool smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 26, 2016 13:17

Something is not working on this album. Sure, there are fine moments, but the production and mix sucks the lige out of it. It sounds too polished.
The playing, however, is quite strong, though they were better on the VL tour.

The most annoying thing, is that the tremendous version of "I Just Want To Make Love To You" are only a japanese bonus track. It towers as a great live track.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 26, 2016 20:52

The production and mix are very slick; you don't get a good sense of the energy of a live audience. Having said that, though...the performances are very good. Just don't like the way they sanitized Respectable; it looses it's punky edge here.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-27 22:57 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 27, 2016 18:00

Aside from that little muppet ruining Memory Motel (which otherwise is excellent) the only track on this live album that doesn't work is Respectable and that's because it's one of those tunes, like Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) and Sway and Neighbours, that is great on the studio album but they just can't play it live.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 27, 2016 19:00

I agree on Memory Motel being ruined unfortunately but Respectable on NS is one of the Stones´ best renditions of that song. They did a wonderful version of Sway on SF Live btw. Heartbreaker is indeed very difficult to perform live (just like Rocks Off).

Date: July 28, 2016 17:39

HMS
Respectable on NS is one of the Stones´ best renditions of that song.

You really need to keep up with the rest of us serious Stones fans and get the SOME GIRLS LIVE IN TEXAS release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-28 17:40 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 28, 2016 21:07

Meanwhile the BTB/No Security tour seems to be the only one since 1969 without any stuff from the vaults,either audio or footage.
I hope they will close that gap.

Date: September 15, 2016 02:50

HMS <Respectable on NS is one of the Stones´ best renditions of that song.>

HMS, ya gotta be pulling our leg! I love reading your posts for the sheer WTF factor. No Security's Respectable is a lifeless drone compared to the rocking versions of 1978. But your posts can't be serious are they? I've been noticing so many that defy belief. Dirty Work better than Exile...No difference between Wyman and D. Jones, a band's bass player isn't that important, etc, etc....Please tell us you're joking just to elicit responses.

Date: September 15, 2016 12:40

HonkeyTonkFlash

HMS, yBut your posts can't be serious are they? I've been noticing so many that defy belief. Dirty Work better than Exile...No difference between Wyman and D. Jones, a band's bass player isn't that important, etc, etc....Please tell us you're joking just to elicit responses.

honestly I ain´t joking. I´ve never said DW is better than Exile, I´ve said both are very good albums and that Exile could have been great if it was shorter.

I just dont notice any difference between Wyman and Jones, mostly because I dont notice their playing. All I notice is something at the bottom end, more felt than heard. So for me it makes no differnce who plays the bass. Yesterday I listened to a homemade comp of the best KR/MJ-solo-tracks and after all this bass-discussion I tried hard to focus on the bass on every song. What can I say: On most songs I simply did not detect the bass playing. I cannot put my finger on it and say "that sound comes from the bass". I can hear the bass when it´s loud in the mix (like John Entwiste´s bass) but in a "normal" mix I just don´t hear the bass at all. To me it rather feels like a part of the drumming, it has always been that way.

Surely a bass player is important for a band but if he isn´t audible, it isnt important for me who´s actually playing. If JJF today sounds different to me than in 1981 or 1989 or whenever, not because of Darryl playing instead of Bill, but because of tempo changing, differnet guitar approach, different vocal approach. So all this saying "They lost their sound when Bill left" makes me scratch my head because they still sound great to me on a lot of songs recorded after his departure.

Date: September 15, 2016 13:28

HMS
HonkeyTonkFlash

HMS, yBut your posts can't be serious are they? I've been noticing so many that defy belief. Dirty Work better than Exile...No difference between Wyman and D. Jones, a band's bass player isn't that important, etc, etc....Please tell us you're joking just to elicit responses.

honestly I ain´t joking. I´ve never said DW is better than Exile, I´ve said both are very good albums and that Exile could have been great if it was shorter.

I just dont notice any difference between Wyman and Jones, mostly because I dont notice their playing. All I notice is something at the bottom end, more felt than heard. So for me it makes no differnce who plays the bass. Yesterday I listened to a homemade comp of the best KR/MJ-solo-tracks and after all this bass-discussion I tried hard to focus on the bass on every song. What can I say: On most songs I simply did not detect the bass playing. I cannot put my finger on it and say "that sound comes from the bass". I can hear the bass when it´s loud in the mix (like John Entwiste´s bass) but in a "normal" mix I just don´t hear the bass at all. To me it rather feels like a part of the drumming, it has always been that way.

Surely a bass player is important for a band but if he isn´t audible, it isnt important for me who´s actually playing. If JJF today sounds different to me than in 1981 or 1989 or whenever, not because of Darryl playing instead of Bill, but because of tempo changing, differnet guitar approach, different vocal approach. So all this saying "They lost their sound when Bill left" makes me scratch my head because they still sound great to me on a lot of songs recorded after his departure.

I respect what you're saying and I sort of get it but I would challenge you to do this: try to listen to some live recordings (with good headphones) of songs in different versions with both Wyman and Jones and try to hone in on the bass. I'll bet you'll be in for some pleasant and revalatory surprises.

Date: September 15, 2016 13:29

HMS
HonkeyTonkFlash

I respect what you're saying and I sort of get it but I would challenge you to do this: try to listen to some live recordings (with good headphones) of songs in different versions with both Wyman and Jones and try to hone in on the bass. I'll bet you'll be in for some pleasant and revelatory surprises.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 15, 2016 13:56

DandelionPowderman
NO SECURITY

Virgin Records
Release date: November 2, 1998

Track list:

You Got Me Rocking
Gimmie Shelter
Flip the Switch
Memory Motel
Corinna
Saint of Me
Waiting on a Friend
Sister Morphine
Live with Me
Respectable
Thief in the Night
The Last Time
Out of Control

The japanese issue includes the following bonus track:

I Just Want to Make Love to You

What are your thoughts on this live album?
I like this live release a lot .Right from the start of You Got Me Rocking, to Corinna, to the Chuch Gem of Saint Of Me with his bigger than life Hammond B3 organ and some mighty fine licks from Keith and Ronnie to Live With Me with a mighty Bobby Keys gem of a sax solo (miss Bobby's horn so much )to the highly hipnotic Keith gem of Thief In the Night and the always pleasing The Last Time .A good and pleasureable later era live release .Thank you Glimmer Twins !

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 15, 2016 21:22

Today, outside, thanks to utube, I gave spin.
And to RS bank, you've all (music industry) made it too convoluted
for us busy, no attention span left, impatient internet introverts
who need audio privacy to actually purchase easily so stop moving around stream services/ on off.

You Got Me Rocking YES.
Gimmie Shelter Yes, except, and I am sorry MJ, it sounds at the very end you are mocking GS, bored. Just at the very end. But if you don't put out, neither can I. Love you.
Flip the Switch NO
Memory Motel NO and Why? Why get the guest? Cannot get past the guest. You and Keith alone. Keith's back up vocals, this is sacred to us 'she's got a mind...'
Should have respected that/ had the confidence.
Corinna No.
Saint of Me No.
Waiting on a Friend Strange and surreal. My God the last 30-60 seconds tho, Keith and Mick singing, whew. But unlike Tumbling Dice last minute pure transend to bliss, it's not carried in this live version/ too bloody weird, I dunno. Catches ya totally off guard.
Sister Morphine No, But, I have never liked this song.
Live with Me No, this can never be done again after hearing any live 1970's version.
Respectable No, not for me.
Thief in the Night No.
The Last Time YES.
Out of Control YES.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: September 16, 2016 13:03

shortfatfanny
Meanwhile the BTB/No Security tour seems to be the only one since 1969 without any stuff from the vaults,either audio or footage.

What about the Bridges To Babylon Live In Concert DVD?
And there is no from the vault Release from the 1976 Tour.

Date: September 16, 2016 13:50

35love
Today, outside, thanks to utube, I gave spin.
And to RS bank, you've all (music industry) made it too convoluted
for us busy, no attention span left, impatient internet introverts
who need audio privacy to actually purchase easily so stop moving around stream services/ on off.

You Got Me Rocking YES.
Gimmie Shelter Yes, except, and I am sorry MJ, it sounds at the very end you are mocking GS, bored. Just at the very end. But if you don't put out, neither can I. Love you.
Flip the Switch NO
Memory Motel NO and Why? Why get the guest? Cannot get past the guest. You and Keith alone. Keith's back up vocals, this is sacred to us 'she's got a mind...'
Should have respected that/ had the confidence.
Corinna No.
Saint of Me No.
Waiting on a Friend Strange and surreal. My God the last 30-60 seconds tho, Keith and Mick singing, whew. But unlike Tumbling Dice last minute pure transend to bliss, it's not carried in this live version/ too bloody weird, I dunno. Catches ya totally off guard.
Sister Morphine No, But, I have never liked this song.
Live with Me No, this can never be done again after hearing any live 1970's version.
Respectable No, not for me.
Thief in the Night No.
The Last Time YES.
Out of Control YES.

No?

Date: September 16, 2016 13:52

RockingLonestar
shortfatfanny

What about the Bridges To Babylon Live In Concert DVD?
And there is no from the vault Release from the 1976 Tour.

Is the B2B DVD still available? I used to have it on VHS but would like a DVD. Also, to me the 1975 and 1976 tours were basically the same except for the B&B songs in 1976, so there is LA Friday.

Date: September 16, 2016 16:52

B2B DVD can be found at amazon.
There´s hardly an improvement compared to VHS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-16 16:54 by HMS.

Date: September 16, 2016 17:30

HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS
HonkeyTonkFlash

I respect what you're saying and I sort of get it

HonkyTonk, you've lost your mind. HMS is the definition of a troll.

Date: September 21, 2016 14:55

GasLightStreet
HonkeyTonkFlash
HMS
HonkeyTonkFlash

I respect what you're saying and I sort of get it

HonkyTonk, you've lost your mind. HMS is the definition of a troll.

Ha Ha....I was trying to be nice. What I was saying is that I "get it" that some people don't have the ears to notice the bass. If that's the case, it's a shame because he's missing a vital component of the music....or he may just be a troll. Either way it's fun to respond. drinking smiley

Date: September 21, 2016 18:12

Honky Tonk, it seems that you and I should listen to that needs-life-support version of Respectable and make bunk assessments that fit in with the trollguity that peppers this board like a kid that's had too much Coca-Cola and owns an Uzi pellet gun.

Date: September 21, 2016 18:27

GasLightStreet
Honky Tonk, it seems that you and I should listen to that needs-life-support version of Respectable and make bunk assessments that fit in with the trollguity that peppers this board like a kid that's had too much Coca-Cola and owns an Uzi pellet gun.

After hearing various lively, hard-rocking version of Respectable from 1978...and then hearing it again on NS....what a letdown! Flat, uninspired, boring bass line, robotic singing. I love the Stones but I can't help but dislike that horrible version on NS. Kind of like the DOA version of Neighbours on Live Licks compared to the romping, stomping versions from 1981.

Date: September 21, 2016 18:29

But, but... you don't like ANY version of Respectable, GLS? smiling smiley

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 21, 2016 22:20

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-15 17:36 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: September 21, 2016 22:35

I wonder why they had to put that awful Memory-Motel-version on it. They played it more often than once during BTB-tour. What a wasted opportunity. Sacrificing glorious MM for the possibility of a few Dave-Matthews-fans buying a Stones-release, what nonsene.

St. Louis should see an official release.

Date: September 21, 2016 22:37

HMS
I wonder why they had to put that awful Memory-Motel-version on it. They played it more often than once during BTB-tour. What a wasted opportunity. Sacrificing glorious MM for the possibility of a few Dave-Matthews-fans buying a Stones-release, what nonsene.

St. Louis should see an official release.

Gotta agree with you here. I love the song but DM kind of craps all over it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 21, 2016 22:41

I wish there were full-show live albums for both the B2B and No Security tours. Both tours featured some of their best ever playing for post-'89 tours.

Date: September 21, 2016 23:13

keefriff99
I wish there were full-show live albums for both the B2B and No Security tours. Both tours featured some of their best ever playing for post-'89 tours.

Those tours would be ripe fodder for another "From The Vault" release!

Date: September 22, 2016 00:58

Corrina is not a bore.

Date: September 22, 2016 02:51

DandelionPowderman
Corrina is not a bore.

No, it's not...but for me, I've never really liked the idea of "special guests" with the Stones. I like my Stones pure and unadulterated! Of course there have been some exceptions; Clapton in 1989 on Rooster was good. Mick and Sheryl Crow had a very good sexy chemistry on Honky Tonk Women in 2002 at MSG, and on All Down The Line in 2013. There are others but I generally like the Stones to be just the Stones.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 22, 2016 08:31

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman
Corrina is not a bore.

No, it's not...but for me, I've never really liked the idea of "special guests" with the Stones. I like my Stones pure and unadulterated! Of course there have been some exceptions; Clapton in 1989 on Rooster was good. Mick and Sheryl Crow had a very good sexy chemistry on Honky Tonk Women in 2002 at MSG, and on All Down The Line in 2013. There are others but I generally like the Stones to be just the Stones.

Agreed, I listened back to Corrina and it's not as boring as I remembered it to be, Charlie really got the groove down. But overall there shouldn't any guest artists on live albums with The Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-22 08:31 by TheBlockbuster.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1846
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home