Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk: What A Shame
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 29, 2016 11:03

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

What A Shame

Written by: Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
Recording date: November 1964
Recording location: Chess Studios, Chicago, USA

Vocal: Mick Jagger
Electric guitars: Keith Richards & Brian Jones
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Harmonica: Mick Jagger
Piano: Ian Stewart

What A Shame

What a shame, nothing seems to be going right
What a shame, nothing seems to be going right
It seems easy to me that everything will be all right

What a shame, they always want to start a fight
What a shame, they always want to start a fight
Well it scares me so, I could sleep in a shelter all night

All right

What a shame, you all heard what I said
What a shame, you all heard what I said
You might wake up in the morning and find your poor self dead

Producer: Andrew Oldham
Sound engineer: Ron Malo

Release date: 16th January on THE ROLLING STONES. LP ‘No. 2’
Label: Decca LK 4661

Note: Info taken from TIOMS, NZentgraf and the WW-Internet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-07 10:45 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: What A Shame (New)
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 29, 2016 11:08

Interesting little number as it kinda falls between r'n'b and that southern fried soul sound they pursued so well on the Rolling Stones No 2 record which for me is one of their most overlooked albums.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 29, 2016 11:22

Very nice guitarplaying on this one...and Micks singing of course...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 29, 2016 12:04

One of the tracks I recorded off the TV when they did it live on Ready Steady Go in 1965. I posted those songs here & DAC "borrowed them & released them as part of "Animal Duds DAC-064". If you listen carefully it's the rest of my family finishing tea in the background, mum rattling plates etc. Ah what memories....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 29, 2016 13:39

vox12string
One of the tracks I recorded off the TV when they did it live on Ready Steady Go in 1965. I posted those songs here & DAC "borrowed them & released them as part of "Animal Duds DAC-064". If you listen carefully it's the rest of my family finishing tea in the background, mum rattling plates etc. Ah what memories....

Thanks is a great story - would love to know more, what did you use to record?

As for the song, it's part of the charm that makes those early albums so great, just done perfectly. Not many words, but not needed. Agree: "it kinda falls between r'n'b and that southern fried soul sound", with "Micks singing of course."

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 29, 2016 13:53

Solid track.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: February 29, 2016 13:59

Filler.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 29, 2016 14:00

A pedestrian blues number that suddenly comes to life with that magnificent harp playing. Nice guitar-weaving too.

Drew

Date: February 29, 2016 14:44

Nice blues, with some cool guitar sounds.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: February 29, 2016 14:58

LeonidP
vox12string

I have told the story when I originally posted these here but it does bear repeating.

I was a mere lad of 15/16 in 1965/66 living in Ealing (where I passed the Ealing Club twice a day on the bus to & from school). There wasn't much music on the official media but two TV show were must go-to's. Top of the Pops, which was on a Wednesday night, but the fave with Cathy McGowan (who we were all in love with) was Ready Steady Go on friday nights. All the bands & performers who were on the charts got to perform, usually miming (lip-sync) to their hits, then there was some bands performing live, & then everything was live. A small studio, maybe 50 in the crowd, no sitting down, everyone danced, the band was right in your face.

It was always exciting when the Stones were on live, LOTS of publicity, ALL of us watched. I didn't have a record player but for some reason my parents had a reel-to-reel Phillips tape recorder, a domestic model with a little microphone to go with it. Every time the Stones were on I would set up the mic on a chair maybe 6 inches away from the TV speaker & then wait for the Stones to perform. My starting wasn't very flash so I usually missed the first second or so, & in the background my family going around their business, not drastically, but there.

I recorded a total of 10 songs between 1965-66 & when I joined up here 10 years ago found out that all but two were not in circulation so I posted them. Lo & behold, DAC took them fixed up one tiny tape glitch, speed corrected them ever so slightly & released them as part of their "Animal Duds" 2CD set of early Stones material. My tracks are on side 2, tracks 1-6, 11-13.
They duplicate "The Last Time" on track 7, mistakenly giving it a different date of performance, but it's definitely the same as mine but from a different source. They also duplicate "Everybody-Pain in my Heart" as track 8 with, again, a different date.

I have a soft spot for these recordings. They're not like the other TV shows that the Stones did, being on a stage with an audience half-a-mile away. Everything was in a small studio, I've read a reference that when the Stones played, the producers made sure that lots of girls were there & yup, Mick was mobbed twice on my tapes, it made for great TV & publicity, & a great memory 50 years on.

Some of the later Stones Ready Steady Go stuff is on Youtube, Satisfaction & a couple of others, but I missed those as we moved to Canada in Nov. 1966.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 04:51 by vox12string.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 29, 2016 15:19

HMS
Filler.

grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 29, 2016 15:43

One not highlighted song from their R&B era that to me compares in delight with any not highlighted song from all periods of the Stones existence and many of their highlighted songs as well. The band's long instrumental coplay towards the end works absolute magic with this listener.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 29, 2016 16:04

B-side of the Heart of Stone single.

Somehow the version in The Rolling Stones Now! is 4 seconds longer than the version
on The London Years, and it seems to me the reason is that it's because it is a bit
slower, but I've not tested it.

Anyway, it's always a pleasure to hear this song, with one of their most hillarious
lines: "You might wake up in the morning and find your poor self dead."

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: February 29, 2016 16:09

On some compilations some songs are sped up and/or edited.

They did both to Miss You (long version) on Rarities..

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 29, 2016 18:08

It has some nice guitars playing

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 29, 2016 19:16

This is how I remember What A Shame released in Holland on an incredible great EP.........great guitars...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 29, 2016 19:24

marcovandereijk
B-side of the Heart of Stone single.

Somehow the version in The Rolling Stones Now! is 4 seconds longer than the version
on The London Years, and it seems to me the reason is that it's because it is a bit
slower, but I've not tested it.

Anyway, it's always a pleasure to hear this song, with one of their most hillarious

The track was edited to 2m 50s for single release.
[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 29, 2016 19:37

YEAH always loved that line and the way Mick pronounces DEAD...
But hey yeah a jet engine could come pilin' through ya ceiling at
anytime or something bad like kidney cancer could wipe ya out while ya dreamin'... now that'd piss ya right off wouldn't it

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 29, 2016 20:06

Another one of those 'burbling' guitar sound songs that only seemed possible during the early Brian years. There's an authenticity to their blues and r&b in those times that they weren't able to achieve later on.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: February 29, 2016 20:48

NICOS
This is how I remember What A Shame released in Holland on an incredible great EP.........great guitars...

Nicos great sleeve, thanks for posting, Great bluesy song and sounds so off the cuff, that at the time they could have produced many songs like that without thinking too hard. Now it seems it's too hard too think. but not meaning to be critical I just wish they could go out where they came in.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 29, 2016 22:06

..one of the first mick/Keith composition...a good track...fine debut..

Date: February 29, 2016 22:41

vox12string
LeonidP
vox12string

I have told the story when I originally posted these here but it does bear repeating.

I was a mere lad of 15/16 in 1965/66 living in Ealing (where I passed the Ealing Club twice a day on the bus to & from school). There wasn't much music on the official media but two TV show were must go-to's. Top of the Pops, which was on a Wednesday night, but the fave with Cathy McGowan (who we were all in love with) was Ready Steady Go on friday nights. All the bands & performers who were on the charts got to perform, usually miming (lip-sync) to their hits, then there was some bands performing live, & then everything was live. A small studio, maybe 50 in the crowd, no sitting down, everyone danced, the band was right in your face.

It was always exciting when the Stones were on live, LOTS of publicity, ALL of us watched. I didn't have a record player but for some reason my parents had a reel-to-reel Phillips tape recorder, a domestic model with a little microphone to go with it. Every time the Stones were on I would set up the mic on a chair maybe 6 inches away from the TV speaker & then wait for the Stones to perform. My starting wasn't very flash so I usually missed the first second or so, & in the background my family going around their business, not drastically, but there.

I recorded a total of 11 songs between 1965-66 & when I joined up here 10 years ago found out that all but one were not in circulation so I posted them. Lo & behold, DAC took them fixed up one tiny tape glitch, speed corrected them ever so slightly & released them as part of their "Animal Duds" 2CD set of early Stones material. My tracks are on side 2, tracks 1-6, 11-13.
They duplicate "The Last Time" on track 7, mistakenly giving it a different date of performance, but it's definitely the same as mine but from a different source. They also duplicate "Everybody-Pain in my Heart" as track 8 with, again, a different date.

I have a soft spot for these recordings. They're not like the other TV shows that the Stones did, being on a stage with an audience half-a-mile away. Everything was in a small studio, I've read a reference that when the Stones played, the producers made sure that lots of girls were there & yup, Mick was mobbed twice on my tapes, it made for great TV & publicity, & a great memory 50 years on.

Some of the later Stones Ready Steady Go stuff is on Youtube, Satisfaction & a couple of others, but I missed those as we moved to Canada in Nov. 1966.

That's a great story, thanks for sharing (i never read it from when you posted previously).

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 28, 2016 02:55

Here's the live RSG version (originated from vox12string)
Kinda proves my notion posted elsewhere that there is no slide on the studio version, but that Keith solo's using tremolo/whammy bar.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Track Talk: What A Shame
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2016 03:06

What a shame, they always want to start a fight ....ain't that the truth...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 28, 2016 03:28

vox12string

I have a soft spot for these recordings.

Thanks so much for posting them here originally!

I've just downloaded and listened to them tonight. This is, in essence, a great live album! Such wonderful recordings of an amazing band!!!

I love the little moments of cutlery clinking and the odd voices in background, it just adds to it... Moments in time captured.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: March 28, 2016 10:05

Rockman
Yeah but in 1964, it's about thé cold war.

Date: March 28, 2016 16:40

His Majesty
Here's the live RSG version (originated from vox12string)

Eggcellent!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 28, 2016 20:46

A great track.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 28, 2016 20:54

Christian
Rockman
Yeah but in 1964, it's about thé cold war.

Doesn't matter who "they" are - it's always true, alas.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 29, 2016 08:36

I loves it!!

Rod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1917
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home