Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live At The Tokyo Dome 1990
Date: February 19, 2016 10:30

Live At The Tokyo Dome 1990:

Released by: Eagle Vision
Release date: October 30, 2015

Track list:

Start Me Up
Bitch
Sad Sad Sad
Harlem Shuffle
Tumbling Dice
Miss You
Ruby Tuesday
Almost Hear You Sigh
Rock and a Hard Place
Mixed Emotions
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Can't Be Seen
Happy
Paint It Black
2000 Light Years from Home
Sympathy for the Devil
Gimmie Shelter
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash

What are your thoughts on this live album?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 10:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Live At The Tokyo Dome 1990
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 19, 2016 10:43

Sorry to say next to Flashpoint it's the least played live record in my collection. Actually I never played it all the way through. Shame on me I know. Also, it doesn't help with the guitar channels being switched. Feel like I should add a opinion disclaimer here as I'm sure some people like or even love this one. To each is own as they say. But David Bowie would correct me with "Jump they say" pun intended, ha-ha. Hope that's funny to somebody.

Date: February 19, 2016 10:49

It's a very good show, imo, if we can look past the channel switch and Keith being low in the mix.

The DVD, however, is excellent. Different mix and correct channels.

The moment of the show is right after 2000 LYFH, where Keith highjacks Matt Clifford's synth guitar-solo. It's hilarious! Keith plays VERY LOUD right over him, with a distorted sound. It's incredible that they kept that in the mix.

It's almost like he said: «That's enough, boy, we're doing a rock'n'roll show here!»

Great stuff grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-19 10:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 19, 2016 10:52

I agree with you about the DVD. I've watched the 2000 LYFH segment a couple of times. I love that part most in the tour.

Date: February 19, 2016 10:56

Shows like Atlantic City and 7th Of July (London) are much better than Tokyo, imo, but I'm happy they released it. The Almost Hear You Sigh-version is nice to have in great quality.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 19, 2016 11:57

I saw their Concert in Gothenburg 1990 and then I was pretty sure it's got to be the last tour.. Jagger were 47 that summer and the band sounded lazy...Then 1998 it was smashing again...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: February 19, 2016 12:28

Keith has some tremendous moments during this show. His solo on Almost Hear You Sigh and Sympathy are perfection. Some great weaving on the solo of Start Me Up too. Love this show.

Date: February 19, 2016 12:55

Yes, Almost Hear You Sigh is a real winner. Always loved it since first listen. Has a 70s feel to it. Maybe that's the connection I feel towards it. My other top favorites are Mixed Emotions, Slipping Away and Can't Be Seen. But when it comes to studio versions I would have to say the monitor mixes blow the official release out of the water. This would be a great release from the vault series.

Date: February 19, 2016 14:34

frankotero
Yes, Almost Hear You Sigh is a real winner. Always loved it since first listen. Has a 70s feel to it. Maybe that's the connection I feel towards it. My other top favorites are Mixed Emotions, Slipping Away and Can't Be Seen. But when it comes to studio versions I would have to say the monitor mixes blow the official release out of the water. This would be a great release from the vault series.

Will probably be ruined during the production process again winking smiley

Date: February 19, 2016 18:25

Oh no, not again! Or, just maybe it could be better. I choose that.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: February 19, 2016 19:02

Fantastic live album. It was one of the best tour ever for the Stones.

Have a nice day!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 19, 2016 21:14

Good live album. I prefer the sloppy charm of LA Friday, or the 1981 Hampton, and 182 Leeds gigs though.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 3, 2016 17:11

The beginning of the Vegas era. I agree with Dandelion that Atlantic and 7th of July would have been the better choice. In general a tremendous decline from Leeds 82. A large portion sounds like Chuck Leavell and Mat Clifford featuring The Rolling Stones. A sampled version of SFTD, what a shame! Tokyo 90 is better by far than Flashpoint, but it's the Vegas Stones, too, and not the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 17:12 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:35

RobertJohnson
The beginning of the Vegas era. I agree with Dandelion that Atlantic and 7th of July would have been the better choice. In general a tremendous decline from Leeds 82. A large portion sounds like Chuck Leavell and Mat Clifford featuring The Rolling Stones. A sampled version of SFTD, what a shame! Tokyo 90 is better by far than Flashpoint, but it's the Vegas Stones, too, and not the Rolling Stones.

Yes, the start of the "slick" era...but having just listened to some of this and comparing it with Hyde Park Live 2013, it has a lot going for it. The arrangements are too professional for my taste, but there's still a lot of spunk and energy there, and Keith was still playing very well. On Hyde Park Live, which I do enjoy, Keith's playing has really slowed down. The ramshackle years of taking risks onstage were over on Steels Wheels / Urban Jungle but they were still playing well. Like many, I could have done without all the keyboards and samples, etc. That ruined SFTD for me. It used to be my favorite live song from 1969 - 1976. 1989....a loop? I couldn't believe the Stones would use a loop....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:25

How is "2000LYFH"?

Date: May 3, 2016 20:41

Elmo Lewis
How is "2000LYFH"?
Caught me contradicting myself! Oops, gotta say that on a tune like 2LYFH the keyboards definitely helped it along. But maybe if I had ever heard them do a guitar-driven version in earlier years (which they never did) I wouldn't have liked the 1990 version as much. I was a junkie for the way they played SFTD in 1969 and to a lesser extent in 1975-76; that guitar-based sound. If I wanted to hear a version with a drum loop, I'd rather put on the album.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 4, 2016 17:22

I've listened to it one time. I only got it because of Almost Hear You Sigh, Bitch (the horns are nice), Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions. Other than that, whatever. I have the boot 7th OF JULY which is pretty good. And of course, FLASHPOINT.

It seems like they played better on the European tour. Overall not very inspiring, although still better than anything from 2005-07.

Date: May 5, 2016 02:19

GasLightStreet
I've listened to it one time. I only got it because of Almost Hear You Sigh, Bitch (the horns are nice), Harlem Shuffle and Mixed Emotions. Other than that, whatever. I have the boot 7th OF JULY which is pretty good. And of course, FLASHPOINT.

It seems like they played better on the European tour. Overall not very inspiring, although still better than anything from 2005-07.

It seems the Bigger Bang Tour gets trashed a lot here but I saw two great shows on that tour, both at Giants Stadium in 2005 and 2006. Maybe I got lucky. I must admit the 1989 show I saw at Shea was pretty spectacular.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 5, 2016 04:32

HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet

It seems the Bigger Bang Tour gets trashed a lot here but I saw two great shows on that tour, both at Giants Stadium in 2005 and 2006. Maybe I got lucky. I must admit the 1989 show I saw at Shea was pretty spectacular.

Aside from the additional musicians and production on the Steel Wheels tour, I thought the Stones as a whole played well. Rather than Tokyo Dome, however, a better choice might have been the pay-per-view Atlantic City show. IMHO, that particular concert was a better show-case of the Steel Wheels tour. I thought the Stones turned it up a notch and played great versions of many of their songs. In particular-Midnight Rambler smoked...

Date: May 5, 2016 13:54

Sighunt
HonkeyTonkFlash
GasLightStreet

Aside from the additional musicians and production on the Steel Wheels tour, I thought the Stones as a whole played well. Rather than Tokyo Dome, however, a better choice might have been the pay-per-view Atlantic City show. IMHO, that particular concert was a better show-case of the Steel Wheels tour. I thought the Stones turned it up a notch and played great versions of many of their songs. In particular-Midnight Rambler smoked...

Yeah - I recorded the AC show on VHS and played the crap out of it for years. Loved that show and it would be great to have an official release!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 5, 2016 16:20

DandelionPowderman
It's a very good show, imo, if we can look past the channel switch and Keith being low in the mix.

The moment of the show is right after 2000 LYFH, where Keith highjacks Matt Clifford's synth guitar-solo. It's hilarious! Keith plays VERY LOUD right over him, with a distorted sound. It's incredible that they kept that in the mix.

It's almost like he said: «That's enough, boy, we're doing a rock'n'roll show here!»

Replacement discs were offered with the channels switched to it's original position. I'll bet it's still offered if you contact Eagle Rock.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 5, 2016 16:23

the blu ray audio is tremendous......makes the show worth revisiting

Date: May 8, 2016 13:59

Listened to this last night and it's way better than I remember. Yeah, I get the complaints that it's the start of the Vegas era, etc, but the band is playing with tons of spunk and energy. Even SFTD with the damn loop sounds alive and feisty. Rambler is smoking! And Keith has ferocious chops here! IORR and GS cook! The warhorses sound fresh and invigorated; love it! More life here than on Flashpoint, I think.

Date: May 8, 2016 14:16

Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

Replacement discs were offered with the channels switched to it's original position. I'll bet it's still offered if you contact Eagle Rock.

For vinyl as well?

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 10, 2016 00:59

DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

For vinyl as well?

Don't know about that. Try and contact Eagle Rock. They normally answer quite quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-10 10:16 by Blueranger.

Date: May 10, 2016 01:28

Blueranger
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

For vinyl as well?

Din't know about that. Try and contact Eagle Rock. They normally answer quite quickly.

The dvd had the correct channels. I just ripped a CDs off that one. Switching the cords for the vinyl smiling smiley

I heard from some friends that Eagle Rock suddenly went silent when they asked for replacement vinyl discs..

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: May 10, 2016 16:48

DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

For vinyl as well?

Din't know about that. Try and contact Eagle Rock. They normally answer quite quickly.

The dvd had the correct channels. I just ripped a CDs off that one. Switching the cords for the vinyl smiling smiley

I heard from some friends that Eagle Rock suddenly went silent when they asked for replacement vinyl discs..

I contacted them twice about replacing the vinyl....No reply.

sc uk

Date: May 10, 2016 17:02

straycatuk
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

For vinyl as well?

I contacted them twice about replacing the vinyl....No reply.

sc uk

Yeah, that's what I heard people say...

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 18, 2016 18:00

Oh dear someone needs to change my iTunes password and keep it secret,
just bought the flick for $14.99
I'm gonna give it a run thru.

Date: May 18, 2016 18:05

35love
Oh dear someone needs to change my iTunes password and keep it secret,
just bought the flick for $14.99
I'm gonna give it a run thru.

I actually just watched this for the first time this morning and was very impressed. I've always criticized the Steel Wheels tour for having too many bells and whistles but at the heart of it - at least in Tokyo - they were playing fantastic! Bitch and Rambler were great! And Keith was on fire!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1575
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home