Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: New Clapton Album - produced by Glyn Johns!!
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:23

Just read on Facebook there will be a new Clapton album, it will be released in May. And it's produced by GLYN JOHNS!!!
So he's still available, imagine how great it would be if he would work with the stones again.

Re: OT: New Clapton Album - produced by Glyn Johns!!
Date: February 18, 2016 22:24

Date: February 18, 2016 22:25

Hopefully Clapton Tours

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:37

"Stones In My Passway", maybe a collaboration with the boys?? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:45

Glyn seems like a very cool guy, but also a cantankerous, grumpy old bastard based on The History of the Eagles documentary. He doesn't like to waste time and doesn't tolerate drinking or drugs, so my guess is he wouldn't be too keen on working with the Stones again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 23:01 by keefriff99.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: February 18, 2016 22:51

What? We won't get another polished Simon Climie produced Clapton album??

That's great news ! thumbs up

Tom

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 18, 2016 23:12

I hope he is able to make Clapton less boring.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 18, 2016 23:27

jumpontopofmebaby
Hopefully Clapton Tours

Actually the article is wrong on one point.
Eric has 5 dates scheduled in April in Japan.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: February 18, 2016 23:34

Single most boring rock guitarist ever.

This is how "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was supposed to sound :

[www.youtube.com]

( Peter Frampton )

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 18, 2016 23:46

Bungo

[www.youtube.com]

( Peter Frampton )

That's just Frampton's version, isn't it? He never recorded it with the Beatles, did he?

Possibly it would be more accurate to say "this is how it could have sounded" as opposed to "was supposed to sound". Somehow I have a feeling that if the Beatles had wanted Frampton on the track, they could and would have gotten him to play on it. I'm thinking that the Beatles version sounded the way they wanted it to even though you may have preferred a version with Frampton instead of Clapton.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: February 19, 2016 00:45

Clapton and The Who are in competition to see who can do the most farewell tours.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: February 19, 2016 03:52

Oh my, another Clapton album. Used to love his playing but he became boring. Saw him on the tour with Knopfler (did I spell that right?). No fire, no juice (unless Eric was drinking it), no nothing. Fell asleep during the show it was so exciting. But, I digress. Love Frampton's take on WMGGW, but it's his take. There's a feel in it that's not in the Beatles version, but that's the way it goes. My fave version of WMGGW is this one. Poetic and soulful as can be. Would love to hear Clapton or Frampton do it this way.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 19, 2016 03:56

Bungo

[www.youtube.com]

( Peter Frampton )

Great version indeed but it's always easier to drive down the road after it's been graded and paved by the true innovators. Harrison and Clapton did a fine job all those decades ago and this is more of a tribute to them than anything else. But thanks for the post, pretty cool.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 19, 2016 06:47

New Eric Clapton album features George Harrison

Due out May 20, ‘I Still Do’ reunites guitar legend with producer Glyn Johns. It will be Clapton’s third release in association with Encinitas-based Surfdog Records.

Eric Clapton has announced that his 23rd studio album, “I Still Do,” will be released May 20.

It features his versions of such blues classics as Robert Johnson’s “Stones In My Passway” and Leroy Carr’s “Alabama Woman Blues,” along with Clapton’s rendition of “Little Man, You’ve Had a Busy Day,” a 1934 chestnut previously recorded by Paul Robseon, Perry Como and Eddy Arnold. (The full track listing for “I Still Do” appears below.)

The album also contains “I Will Be There,” a song of unknown vintage, which features vocals and acoustic guitar by one Angelo Mysterioso (a musical nom de plume used in previous decades by the late George Harrison). The former Beatle and Clapton were close friends who were married, in succession, to the same woman, Patti Boyd. Clapton first used his Mysterioso alias on the 1969 Cream album, “Goodbye.”

“I Still Do” is being released by Clapton’s own Bushbranch label, in association with Encinitas-based Surfdog Records. It is the English blues-rock guitar legend’s third consecutive U.S. release through Surfdog.

Launched 31 years ago, the plucky independent label in nothern San Diego County counts Glen Campbell, former Stray Cats’ guitarist Brian Setzer and San Diego’s The Burning of Rome among its roster of artists.

“I Still Do” reunites Clapton with veteran producer Glyn Johns, whose previous production credits include such classics as The Who’s “Who’s Next,” the Rolling Stones’ “Sticky Fingers,” Joe Cocker’s “Mad Dogs & Englishmen,” the Eagles’ “Desperado.” Johns also was the audio engineer for landmark albums by Led Zeppelin, the Steve Miller Band, Humble Pie, The Clash, Rita Coolidge and many more.

Clapton and Johns last collaborated on the guitarist’s 1977 album “Slowhand” and its 1978 sequel, “Backless.”

“This was a long and overdue opportunity to work with Glyn Johns again, and also, incidentally, the 40th anniversary of ‘Slowhand!” Clapton said, in a statement released Thursday. The cover art for “I Still Do” is a portrait of Clapton by Sir Peter Blake, who is best known for creating the iconic cover of The Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” album.

Claptons two previous albums for Surfdog are 2013’s “Old Sock” and 2014’s “They Call Me The Breeze (An Appreciation of JJ Cale).” Clapton discussed the latter album and his longtime friendship with Cale in this 2014 Union-Tribune interview.

[www.sandiegouniontribune.com]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 19, 2016 08:21

MKjan
I hope he is able to make Clapton less boring.

Hate to say it but I agree. Hope it's very electric and dirty. Blues and rocking! That would get my vote.

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: February 19, 2016 08:48

the only concert ever, during which I fell asleep, was one by Eric Clapton. He was playing great, and I do respect him, but after three tunes he had me snoring. What is it with him? I guess, when he gave up the booze, he lost his devil at the crossroads. Some guys don`t seem to get along with leaving clean, others do. Good luck to him, though. Maybe it`s - just my imagination

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: February 19, 2016 08:59

...LIVING clean ,is what I mean, not leaving. Sorry. Leaving now

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: February 19, 2016 09:38

Clapton can still be a fiery proposition live, as his albums with Cream reunited in 2005, Winwood, and Wynton Marsalis, prove. Studio-wise, the last few albums, produced by Simon Climie, proved to be a bit jack of all trades, and had something lacking.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: February 19, 2016 11:52

He's doing five nights at the Budokan in Tokyo this April.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 19, 2016 16:43

The Cream reunion, much to my dismay, was one of the most boring concerts I've ever seen.

I love Clapton, I'm always rooting for him and sometimes he can KILL it. His best work IMO is Blind Faith, as well as the Layla album where he destroys it with Duane Allman. Most other times he's overrated, but he has his killer moments, as Cream is also, without a doubt, excellent. And I can't forget his superb playing, all without rehearsal, at my beloved Concert For Bangladesh!

Hope its a good album, but I see no reason for it to really show me a new side of Clapton.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 19, 2016 18:15

Given the context of rock music in 1966, there's a reason Clapton was God.

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers w/Clapton - Steppin' Out

Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, the Domino's, and some of his solo stuff - the man is a legend without question.
And like the Stones (and other bands from that era), he has put out some inferior stuff - especially in the latter part of his career. Nobody's perfect.
Glad he's still alive and well recording and touring, looking forward to what's next! thumbs up

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: February 19, 2016 19:06

I guess it's official then :

Eric Clapton declared "most boring guitarist ever" by overwhelming majority of IORR members.

( BV might want to change the title of this thread )

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: February 19, 2016 20:03

Clapton has great talent but it was Jack and Ginger who really elevated him. Jack Bruce imo was the most talented member of Cream.

Date: February 19, 2016 20:23

I just cannot understand how someone can think Clapton is boring. He's one of the greatest guitarists ever, for me personally definitely the greatest. And I think he got better and better as he became older. I could listen to his solos for hours. The art of clapton is the art of simplicity. He does not need to show he can play extremely fast, though of course he can. But when Clapton does a Solo it's like telling a story. He does not just play the pentatonics up and down like most other guitarists. He builds his solos up more and more till the absolute orgasm.
What i can understand is if you dont like the Studio stuff of him. But espencially live he is absolutely incedible. I also don't like those polished Simon Clime produced albums too much, but that's why I am really looking forward to this one.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 20, 2016 03:21

Really enjoy Clapton live, on almost all occasions. I thought the Winwood collaboration in concert worked well.

Hairball, so true.
StonedRambler, excellent stuff on the story-telling he does.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-20 03:22 by angee.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 21, 2016 04:15

To see Eric Clapton at full throttle is amazing.

True there were some dull gigs every often when he was trying very hard to
get off drugs and get back to being "Eric C" as Hendrix who admired him immensely, generally referred to him.

Once Eric got over the shock of hearing Jimi play in 1966, he became a true
friend. Often, Eric took him to nice places in London. Jimi's meals in the
struggling days from childhood on were "not very good and not much of it," he
told me once. True, once Jimi became someone he went out to dinner but when
I asked him about it. He laughed and said, everyone always has the waiter
give me the bill. Dinner with Eric was always an occasion and even better
if they stayed up late and went to the Speakeasy to jam.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 3, 2016 14:32

StonedRambler
I just cannot understand how someone can think Clapton is boring. He's one of the greatest guitarists ever, for me personally definitely the greatest. And I think he got better and better as he became older. I could listen to his solos for hours. The art of clapton is the art of simplicity. He does not need to show he can play extremely fast, though of course he can. But when Clapton does a Solo it's like telling a story. He does not just play the pentatonics up and down like most other guitarists. He builds his solos up more and more till the absolute orgasm.
What i can understand is if you dont like the Studio stuff of him. But espencially live he is absolutely incedible. I also don't like those polished Simon Clime produced albums too much, but that's why I am really looking forward to this one.

His studio stuff is really boring.
'Old sock' is soporific!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 3, 2016 15:18

KRiffhard

His studio stuff is really boring.
'Old sock' is soporific!

I'd say his studio stuff is USUALLY boring. His Robert Johnson one is enthralling, and From The Cradle (pseudo live) are both good.

Live he's astonishing.

The difference has bemused me for years.

I'll just throw in that Frampton's version of "While my guitar...." seems to owe a lot to the Concert for George version.

Finally, one of my all time favourite moments in a Stones concert video is from Atlantic City 89 when Eric finishes his solo on 'The Red Rooster' and as he walks back from the front of the stage Jagger gives him such a wonderful grin of thank you for a great moment!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 4, 2016 13:47

taste is in the ear of the listener, to the naysayers i suggest you listen

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 4, 2016 17:50

I saw Clapton twice. In 1979, with Muddy Waters opening. Eric was still getting high, and had a car accident on the way to the concert. I had 5th row seats. That addicted, suffering bastard blew me away with long blues runs. Incredible.

Next time was my birthday, 1994, at the House of Blues (now defunct) in L.A. Sat within 20 feet of Clapton in a relatively small club. He was promoting some Robert Johnson inspired work. He was technically clean, and drug and alcohol clean. Not a missed note. God it was boring.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home