Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 91
Re: Stones 1981-1982 Wardrobes
Date: April 18, 2016 03:38

exilestones

Yes, so I love Charlie, but man what a look on his face in just about every picture with his wife, LOL. Now that's not nice.

Charlie Watts and daughter Seraphina Watts at Joanna's Restaurant.                  Charlie Watts, wife Shirley Watts and daughter Seraphina.
     Ron Galella

New York City, October 26, 1981

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 18, 2016 19:44

Date: April 18, 2016 19:50

Nancy Emerson 1982

Date: April 19, 2016 18:48

CHICAGO

Philip Kamin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 19:32 by exilestones.

Date: April 19, 2016 18:52

CHICAGO

Philip Kamin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 02:31 by exilestones.

Date: April 19, 2016 19:02

CHICAGO

My "Milwaukee Rock and Roll" book came out last November, and at a Boswell Books author appearance,
I mentioned that I’d seen the Stones 20 times. A man in the audience asked which show was my favorite.
I get asked that a lot, and the answer is always the same: The Rosemont Horizon, Chicago, November 24, 1981.

It was one of those nights when the cosmic tumblers just click into place, and for a short time,
you’re granted access to another world. The seats were in Row 16, center. The security guards failed
to find the camera body and telephoto lens I had duct-taped to my legs. And the band was absolutely
on fire. The sound, estimated at 82 decibels, was loud as hell but crystal clear. No swampy mix by
some pothead roadie THAT night, no sir. The floor was vibrating, and Charlie’s drum beats were bouncing
off my chest. You could hear all the vocals, and the guitars were completely separated so

as to reveal
the magnificent, if not telepathic, way that Ron and Keith threw the leads back and forth.

CHICAGO AD

Larry Widen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-19 19:03 by exilestones.

Date: April 19, 2016 19:28

BOSTON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 02:28 by exilestones.

Date: April 20, 2016 19:15

HANNOVER

Dirk Oliver Thoms

-------------

John Hamilton

arthur thill

------

Dietrich Dethmann - originally posted by open-g

ROLLING STONES in Concert - HANNOVER, Germany 06.06.1982: Die Rock Band mit Sänger Mick JAGGER, Guitar Keith RICHARDS and Ron WOOD, Drums Charlie WATTS - European Tour 1982 - Music - Entertainment , Musik, Rock & Pop , Unterhaltung - Konzert - Rock Band - Copyright mandatory: © ATP Arthur THILL Set - Songs performed - das Musik Programm auf der Bühne. On stage . Under My Thumb, When The Whip Comes Down, Let's Spend The Night Together, Shattered, Neighbours, Black Limousine, Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), Twenty Flight Rock, Going To A Go Go, Chantilly Lace, Let Me Go, Time Is On My Side, Beast Of Burden, Let It Bleed, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Little T & A, Tumbling Dice, She's So Cold, Hang Fire, Miss You, Honky Tonk Woman, Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Encore:, (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Date: April 20, 2016 19:18

Philip Kamin Philadelphia 1981

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 19:33 by exilestones.

Date: April 20, 2016 19:25

Philip Kamin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 19:26 by exilestones.

Date: April 20, 2016 19:35

unknown

Date: April 20, 2016 19:43

Date: April 20, 2016 19:58

TORINO, domenica 11 Luglio 1982

+

------

Silvio Canini

[www.silviocanini.it]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 20:03 by exilestones.

Date: April 20, 2016 20:17

For rock and kick sick, there are days that remain indelible in the memory and
heart. One is certainly that of 11 July 1982, the national football final World
Cup of Spain against Germany and the Rolling Stones in Italy after 12 years, with
the tour that kicks off from Turin. An incredible cross of emotions and passions.
To avoid overlap in that Sunday in July the show of "rolling" stones in the old
Municipal Stadium is advanced one hour really unusual for a rock band!

A bit of background - Turin in those years was still singled out (because in part
it was) as a "sad and gray city, all linked to the Fiat."

The large international concerts, after the long black out of the seventies to the
violent protests of self remained extraordinary events. The rock was still being
presented as a damned music ( "Here come the barbarians" some newspaper headline).

And the Stones, after twenty years of career, had become superstars even though
But at that time too many personal stories affected the group. Understandable
then the expectation and excitement which makes getting to the stadium sixty
thousand people!

The crowd was fascinated as Jagger danced and shrieked for two hours in the heat,
ecstatic, almost "devilish!" The lasting memory remains Mick prophecy wrapped in
the flag "will win 3-1." Ah, yes, the final. This is history.

[www.outsidersmusica.it]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 20:21 by exilestones.

Date: April 20, 2016 20:18

originally posted by Mack Jagger                              Turin 1982 - Denis O'Regan

some photo taken from Big Cecco  - originally posted by Stone610 [www.iorr.org]

11 Luglio - Torino, Stadio Comunale
12 Luglio - Torino, Stadio Comunale
17 Luglio - Napoli, Stadio San Paolo

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 20:46 by exilestones.

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 20, 2016 21:11

Man, these '82 shows look like they were so much fun to be at...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 20, 2016 21:18

Loving this thread! Thank you Exilestones

Date: April 21, 2016 18:04

I'm glad to see people are enjoying my research and hobby! Thank you.

The Rolling Stones performing at Stadio Comunale Vittorio Pozzo, Turin, 12th of July, 1982 

- Angelo Deligio /Mondadori Portfolio

------------

Date: April 22, 2016 20:36

Rolling Stones, J. Giles, George Thorogood and Prince, LA 1981 shirt

The 1981 USA tour by The Rolling Stones was the highest grossing tour event that year. The L.A.
Coliseum show featured on this vintage concert jersey t-shirt included a little known artist on the bill - Prince.

The LA show is different from all of the rest that I've ever seen. The Coliseum pictured on the front is intact. On others that I've seen, the dragons talons have crunched down, on a raised roof with bits of concrete is flying, and there is a crowd running out of the building.

Rolling Stones 1981: bootleg or forgery?

LA 1981

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 20:49 by exilestones.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 22, 2016 20:43

This is a great thread which brings back so many good memories! I was 21 in 1981 and had a blast seeing the Stones right up front in a very packed stadium. A great time was had by all!

Date: April 22, 2016 21:04

Seeing Prince Open For The Rolling Stones At Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
By Larry Morgan

October of 1981 – a city of people, 100,000 they say, crowded into Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for the Rolling Stones and their Tattoo You tour. The opening acts were the kind you’d expect – George Thorogood…J. Geils Band…but the very first artist to come up was an exception; a funky dude named Prince who had only really one radio hit at that point, “I Wanna Be Your Lover” – a strong, danceable tune with some disco overtones which would only hint at what was to come. And what was to come was more than hinted at when The Artist that took the stage that day in L.A. with a very different, more confident strut. This guy was ready to show a sea of people something they had never experienced before.

My memory is telling me that the Stones hand-picked him as the opening act for this show, which doesn’t surprise me. Mick, Keith and the boys were always open to new sounds from new artists and it makes sense that Prince’s unique vision, expert musicianship and flamboyant stage presence would appeal to their renegade sensibilities. The crowd, though, was less receptive. They were there to rock…and this strangely androgynous, funk-meets-Hendrix enigma that came on stage was…well…too weird. The music wasn’t the straight-ahead blues-rock of Lonesome George, J. Geils or the Stones. The lyrics were provocative and explicit. The antics onstage – well, let’s just say they had never seen anyone be quite that intimate with a guitar neck before. Prince only made it through 5 songs before he left in a bit of a huff. Yes…this was that Prince set; the notorious one where objects were thrown – I want to say at least one can or bottle, a shoe or two – and the boos were loud and vehement. Prince had NOT won over this crowd.

Well, that is except for my college roommate Pete and I. We had raced through our classes at USC, just a couple of blocks over (I earned a very substandard C+ on my Oceanography quiz due to the excitement and distraction of getting to the venue early). About 3 songs in to Prince’s set we leaned in to each other and compared notes; Pete: “I actually thought that was pretty damn good!” Me: “I know, me too!” Pete: “Why are all these people so mad? ”Me: “I don’t know…!”

I can honestly say the rest of the show was just okay. After a while all of Thorogood’s tunes sounded the same. The attempt at riling up the crowd with their extended jams earned J. Geils some cheers. And the Stones were the Stones. But the most memorable moment of the day was the intriguing, mysterious and truly mind-blowing force of nature that blew through 5 crazy, funkified tunes the likes of which I had never heard. I went and bought the “Controversy” album the next day and, of course, by the time “1999” came out I was totally in.

I’d be willing to bet some of the same goofballs who booed and threw stuff are now, today, saying “I was there! I saw him open for the Stones!” with giddy pride. And that’s okay. Because that’s Prince – he challenged, he surprised, he broke the mold and he changed what people believed music should be. Even when it was hard and he was misunderstood and told in no uncertain terms that he didn’t fit, whether it was a record exec or a crowd of 99,998 Stones fans. Prince proved that being small, weird, quiet and honest didn’t mean you still couldn’t be big, cool, loud and crazy. And brilliant.

RIP Prince Rogers Nelson. Long Live Prince.

Date: April 22, 2016 21:13

When relatively unknown Prince was booed off LA Coliseum stage in 1981

By Pete Stella

In October of 1981, the Rolling Stones played a pair of shows at the LA Coliseum to promote their latest album 'Tattoo You'.

To accommodate the USC football game set for Saturday, Oct. 10 (an eventual 13-10 loss to Arizona), the band played their concerts on Friday, Oct. 9 and Sunday, Oct. 11.

A relatively unknown artist named Prince was part of the Stones' opening act lineup, which also included George Thorogood and The J Geils Band.

When it was his turn on to perform on Oct. 9, Prince, who would release his fourth studio album 'Controversy' just days later, did not fare well. Within 15 minutes, he was booed off stage.

Despite being pelted with food and homophobic slurs, Prince returned to open the Oct. 11 show as well.

Within the following two years (1982-1984), Prince would release '1999' and 'Purple Rain' and catapult himself into the realm of superstardom as one of the greatest musical artists of a generation.

On Thursday, Prince was found dead at his home in Minnesota. He was 57.

It's not an easy task to open for the Rolling Stones - especially when you're a
largely unknown guy wearing bikini briefs and singing a song called "Jack U Off."

Prince was pelted with vegetables and yelled out homophobic slurs. He left the
stage 15 minutes into his set on the first night, but he had the balls to return
for night two. (There's no video of the sets, but check out this 1981 complete
show from New York that same year.)

Rolling Stone

Date: April 22, 2016 21:31

Rolling Stones opening act 1981
Why was Prince "booed" at the Rolling Stones opening act performance?

I heard a bootleg of the October 11th (1981) show-- I'm NOT going to say WHERE I heard it (and I HOPE NO ONE ELSE WILL, because some things need to remain hush-hush)-- but I do want to discuss the content of the recording and the incident.

It is worth noting that Prince was not the ONLY opening act-- he is sandwiched between J Geils Band and George Thorogood, who as far as I know are two "white rock" bands that the Rolling Stones crowd was probably more familiar with.

Prince performs his songs without falsetto, which was not customary for him at the time. The guitars are turned way up, it sounds like he is trying to appeal to a "macho" crowd. By performing "Bambi" without falsetto, he sounds more like Mick Jagger.

But the audience is not that into it-- at the start of the second song, someone--presumably the taper, says "One more song, and that'll be ENOUGH for THIS band!" The second song is "When You Were Mine," another hard rocker with no falsetto. Then comes "Jack u Off," the taper yells, "LOOK AT ALL THE TRASH!"-- I guess the stage was being pelted. As the song ends, a loud chorus of "boo's" can be heard from the audience. Dez graciously thanks the crowd and continues playing. Prince seems to have disappeared-- there are no vocals at all during "Uptown," but a lot of lead guitar soloing (presumably by Dez). I think, at this point, Dez was the "seasoned veteran" of the band, while Prince was still new to rowdy audiences.

Prince returns to sing "Why You wanna Treat Me So Bad"-- and it's hard for me not to imagine the lyrics being addressed directly to the crowd-- but the taper yells, "ENOUGH!" someone next to taper in the audience continues booing, and the taper stops the tape. Clearly, the taper did not know that Prince bootlegs would one day be in high demand.

Again, I am discussing this only to shed light on the content of the performance and the audience's reaction. What was their problem with Prince? He had already proven himself to critics with the "Dirty Mind" album and tour-- but I guess this Rolling Stones crowd was a different circle altogether. They seem to have never heard of Prince. Were they THAT offended by the lyrics to "Jack U Off"? Did they have a problem with a black man in front of a multi-racial, multi-gendered band? Why such a hostile reaction? I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

+++++++++++++

I remember vividly when this happened. Being out here in So. Cal, where these concerts were taking place, it was heavily advertised about the Stones. But it was never mentioned who the opening acts were. I liked the Stones and had wanted to go, but all of the best seats had been long gone. At this stage, I had no idea Prince was even on the bill. Anyway, about a day or so before the first concert out here, my girlfiend at the time, her father was going with some friends of his. So he was telling me who all was on the bill. That's when I learned that Prince was one of the opning acts. Her dad didn't know who Prince was. So I was telling him about Prince. At this stage, the single Controversy had been out and the album was to be released later that week. I clearly remember this cuz I had checked with the record stores on the release date of the album. Anyway. her father told me that he would make sure to keep his eye open for this Prince because the way I described him was interesting. Well, news broke out all over L.A. before the end of the first concert had even finished that Prince got the shit booed out of him. It was all over the radio. R&B stations were talking about it and of course rock stations were having a field day over it. KLOS, a legendary L.A. rock station which is still going strong, were actually playing bits and pieces of P's set. They were talking about how people were throwing things and how Bill Graham, the famous rock promoter came out on stage and basically cussed out the audience for doing this. It had gotten so much publicity that by the time for the next show, people were bring serious shit to throw at Prince. My girlfriend's father told me the next day what had happened. He said that P was onstage for like 20 minutes and everything seemed cool. He thought the band sounded good. And then he noticed that a few things started flying up on stage, but he didn't see where it was a big deal. People throw shit on stage all the time. But then it got a little more heavy and folks started booing. Then it just spreaded like wildfire and P just walked off stage. Leaving his band up there. I was so surprised that it happened and was let down that it went down like that. So by the next concert, P didn't even get through nearly as many songs as he did the first set, the boos were so strong. Folks now were throwing gallons of orange juice, shoes, whole chickens, the works. Yeah, it made big news out here in the newspapers, t.v. and the radio stations. The dj's on the rock stations were totally laughing, making fun of the situation. People were calling in saying that they had attended the shows and what they had thrown. It was a big circus.

++++++++++++++++

Live chickens or grocery store chickens?

++++++++++++++++

[prince.org]

Date: April 22, 2016 21:38

Rolling with the Stones

I first saw the Stones when they played the Los Angeles Coliseum on October 11th, 1981. It was an infamous concert because Prince was one of their opening acts.

That particular concert was stadium seating, which means you get a ticket but not a seat. My boyfriend at the time would have been happy to get out on the field and stand for hours and hours. I made it clear that wasn’t going to happen and we sat in the stands, about 2/3 of the way back. Even though it wasn’t a particularly hot day they kept spraying the crowd on the field because the people were so packed together they had to be cooled off so no one would faint from the heat. Fun times!

The Stones had three opening acts: J. Geils Band, Prince, and George Throughgood. At the time Prince was still fairly unknown, at least to those of us in the Coliseum that day. That was back in the days before giant screens were ubiquitous at concerts so we, of course, had a pair of binoculars with us, standard equipment for large concerts back then.

I still remember when that tiny little man who was Prince came out on stage and started singing. I looked at my boyfriend and asked “Who is that?” But he didn’t know either. I grabbed the binoculars and looked at the singer. I couldn’t believe what I saw! I told my boyfriend, “He is wearing thigh high black boots, a long black leather coat, and a black leather g-string!” At that point I was done.

In these days of Lady Gaga, that outfit may seem tame but in 1981 I (and many others in the audience) were not impressed with the little guy in the g-string! Some people started booing and then the whole audience began booing. Prince eventually ran off the stage and the promoter came on to chastise us, saying something about “What if that was your friend?” I remember telling the boyfriend, “The guy in the g-string would not be my boyfriend!” And that is the story of the time I helped boo Prince off the stage!

Anyway, many hours later after the sun set the Stones finally took the stage. Remember, no screens or jumbotron, just bright lights and our trusty binoculars. And that was when I discovered the magic of Mick in concert. Even back where we were sitting in the Coliseum, you could still see Mick strut and wave his arms and it was so so so Mick! No one knows better than he does how to play to a really big room, or stadium!

If you have been to a concert anytime in the last 10 or 15 years you will laugh at this. But the big moment of the concert was when Mick sang Jumping Jack Flash and went up in a cherry picker. Yep, whoo hoo, a cherry picker! I remember talking about the concert with people the next week, still breathless over Mick in that cherry picker! That was high rock and roll drama back then!

It was at that concert that I fell in love with the Stones. I have seen them a few more times since then but I will tell you about those experiences later.

[womaninthemid.com]

Date: April 22, 2016 21:57

What It’s Like Opening For The Stones?
by Greg Kihn

The Greg Kihn Band opened several shows for the Rolling Stones back in 1981, at the behest of Bill Graham, who called at the last minute to see if we could replace Prince who opened the shows in LA a few days earlier.

Apparently, Prince stripped down to his black thong underwear and pranced around the stage, much to the chagrin of Stones who fired him from the tour on the spot.

Prince, who was relatively unknown at the time.

In his heart of hearts, Bil Graham knew I’d keep my pants on during the show. Professionals that we were, we did as we were told, and here’s the punchline- Bill liked it so much he let us do an encore! That’s unheard of by an opening act. We were later replaced on the tour by George Thorogood.

I wish I had a poster of that gig, but alas, I do not. However, the T-Shirt of that gig still exists.

So we jumped on a plane and flew to Seattle for the first of two shows at the Kingdome (which has since been torn down.) I remember doing the soundcheck in the huge stadium. We went out there with out little club-sized amplifiers and we were absolutely dwarfed by the size of the stage.

The Stones were staying at several hotels around Seattle- and we found out that Keith Richards was at our hotel. I figured, we gotta party with Keith but nobody would tell us his room number.

The Stones travelled to and from the gig in a pair of white non-descript vans. We, on the other hand, got limos. There were a gaggle of groupies and Stones fans hanging around the limo assuming it ws Keith’s. Imagine their surprise when my guys stepped out.

The gig itself was insane. My heart was pounding so hard I thought I might hyper-ventilate on stage. From the vast reaches of the Kingdome we appeared as ants, far away and nearly invisble. I can’t tell you what it’s like to be staring down the barrel at 80,000 people in a giant indoor stadium. All I can say is, adrenaline takes over, and the next thing you know it’s over and you’re bathed in sweat and high as a kite.

We hung out at the hotel bar hoping to meet Keith but he never showed up. There were a ton of high-classed groupies waiting for the Stones. We struck out with each and every one of them and wound going back to our rooms to smoke a fattie and watch reruns of Columbo.

After the second show, I looked for Bill Graham (who was the promoter of the Stones tour 1981) to thank him for the gig. My mother always told to thank big Bill after every gig. So, I went looking for him. I found him wandering around backstage. He grabbed my arm and said, “Follow me.” I didn’t argue.

He lead me through 5 layers of security, deep into the bowels of the old stadium, through one checkpoint after another. Until, at last he opened a door and…

There were the Stones! We had breached their inner sanctum. I was standing in the Stones dressing room! There was Keith and Ronnie tuning guitars, Mick and Jerry Hall sat on the couch, and Charlie Watts chain smoked. I sat down between Mick and Charlie and struck up a conversation.

Greg Kihn 1981

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-22 22:15 by exilestones.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: April 22, 2016 22:35

What a fantastic thread.

The pictures are evoking some wonderful memories from my first Stones tour where I saw several gigs. London, Bristol and Newcastle.

Thanks for posting them!

Date: April 22, 2016 22:36

Greg Kihn Band Opens for the Stones in Seattle

Setlist

Roadrunner (Jonathan Richman cover)

Can't Stop Hurtin' Myself

Womankind

Reelin' and Rockin' (Chuck Berry cover)

The Girl Most Likely

Magic Bus (The Who cover)

Cold Hard Cash

True Confessions

The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)

Encore:
For Your Love (The Yardbirds cover)

GREG KIHN BAND-"THE BREAKUP SONG"(THEY DON'T WRITE 'EM)

A #15 hit on the U.S. Billboard Charts in 1981. "The Greg Kihn Band is an American band that was started by frontman Greg Kihn and bassist Steve Wright. Their most successful singles include "The Breakup Song (They Don't Write 'Em)" (Billboard Hot 100 #15) and "Jeopardy" (Billboard Hot 100 #2). Greg Kihn began his career in his hometown of Baltimore, MD, working in the singer/songwriter mold, but switched to straightforward rock & roll when he moved to San Francisco in 1972.

More:

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com] (live)

Date: April 22, 2016 22:45

Rolling Stones Seattle 1981

VIDEO: [www.youtube.com]

Date: April 22, 2016 22:48

SEATTLE

Lanna Harri

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 23, 2016 18:12

I remember on the radio Greg Kihn telling the story of meeting the Stones back Stage and he said that Mick Jagger gave him his pack of cigarettes. He smoked all of them. Then later when he was telling one of his band mates about it, they couldn't believe he smoked the pack that Mick gave him. And then he asked him "Did you at least save the butts??"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-23 18:16 by ryanpow.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home