Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Walking The Dog
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 1, 2016 10:50

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Walking The Dog

Written by: Rufus Thomas (Release date Rufus Thomas September 1963)
Recording date: 3rd and 4th January 1964
Recording location: London, Regent Sound Studios

Line-up:
Lead vocal: Mick Jagger
Rhythm electric guitar: Brian Jones
Lead electric guitar: Keith Richards
Bass: Bill Wyman
Drums: Charlie Watts
Harmony vocal: Brian Jones
Handclaps: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards & Brian Jones
Whistle: Brian Jones

Walking The Dog

Baby back, dressed in black
Silver buttons all down her back
High hose, tipsy toes
She broke the needle and she can't sew

Walking the dog
I'm just walking the dog
If you don't know how to do it
I'll show you how to walk a dog

Come on now, come on

I asked my mother for 15 cents
See a elephant jump the fence
It jumped so high, it touched the skies
Didn't get back 'til a quarter to 5

Walking the dog
I'm just walking the dog

Tell me, Mary, what's your trip?
How does your garden grow?
What with silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row

Walking the dog
I'm just walking the dog

Come on now, come on

Baby back, dressed in black
Silver buttons all down her back
High hose, tipsy toes
She broke the needle and she can't sew

Walking the dog
I'm just walking the dog

Come on now, come on

Yeah... j-j-j-j-j-just a-walking
J-j-j-j-j-just a-walking
J-j-j-j-j-just a-walking
Now if you don't know how to do it

Come on now, come on

Come on now

Producer: Andrew Loog Oldham
Sound engineers: Bill Farley

First released on: THE ROLLING STONES (LP)
UK Release date: April 17, 1964 “THE ROLLING STONES” DECCA
US Release date: May 29, 1964 “ENGLAND'S NEWEST HIT MAKERS” LONDON

Note: Info taken from NicoS, TIOMS and NZentgraf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-08 11:00 by NICOS.

Re: Track Talk: Walking The Dog (New)
Date: February 1, 2016 11:00

Love it! Swinging and rocking version, with very nice husky backing vocals from Brian thumbs up

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 1, 2016 11:27

I always liked this song. Clearly, the song is a bit of a joke, but they play it very well, it's very exciting and unpolished and rough and one of those early examples of what a great band they were.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 1, 2016 12:09

Brilliant hand clapping by the Edith Grove inhabitants.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 1, 2016 12:26

Splendid cover of the classic Rufus Thomas ditty. Love Brian’s harmony vocals and whistles. The perfect conclusion to their perfect debut.

Drew

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 1, 2016 12:33

Was an unexpected No 1 in North and South Korea in 64 but locals there heard it as Wokking The Dog.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 1, 2016 12:38

Another great example of how easily the Stones appropriated r'n'b (as well as rock'n'roll and the blues). The Beatles, The Who, The Yardbirds, The Animals and Pretty Things - never sounded as authentic as this.

Hearing this for the first time and not knowing who the band were you'd have thought they were American, not a band of London boys who'd probably never been overseas in their lives.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 1, 2016 14:04

with very nice husky backing vocals from Brian thumbs up

He sounds like a chain-saw to be honest...this song is one of their weakest on Decca...

2 1 2 0

Date: February 1, 2016 14:31

Come On

He sounds like a chain-saw to be honest...this song is one of their weakest on Decca...

LOL! Well, better put on Suzie Q, Congratulations, The Singer Not The Song or I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys instead, then? winking smiley

Date: February 1, 2016 14:37

DandelionPowderman
Come On

LOL! Well, better put on Suzie Q, Congratulations, The Singer Not The Song or I'd Much Rather Be With The Boys instead, then? winking smiley

Jeeze..3 of my absolute favorites...Honestly...Suzie Q is Fogertys song...grinning smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: February 1, 2016 15:05

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

Jeeze..3 of my absolute favorites...Honestly...Suzie Q is Fogertys song...grinning smiley

Creedence CR's version is way better than the Stones's smiling smiley

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 1, 2016 15:19

A marvelous R&B workout and a fitting way to end such a fabulous debut long-player. Keith's biting-guitar, Brian's backup vocals and Jagger's casual delivery go together pefectly to mould a genuine early classic.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 1, 2016 16:50

Come On

I'm with DandelionP on this one, I always loved Brian's backup on this, and love the cover! Far better than Suzie Q, one of their weakest covers.

Date: February 1, 2016 16:54

LeonidP
Come On

I'm with DandelionP on this one, I always loved Brian's backup on this, and love the cover! Far better than Suzie Q, one of their weakest covers.

Brian's backup vocals work well, here. Perhaps not elsewhere; though I cannot recll specifics on what he vocalises on elsewhere. He was preferable to Bill, anyhow! I do agree about Suzie Q. Rather a weak rendition.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 1, 2016 19:32

Not one of their worst covers, but it lacks the heart and soul of the Rufus Thomas original.

And dare I say, Aerosmith did a decent cover, but again inferior to the Rufus original.

Date: February 1, 2016 20:24

Hairball
Not one of their worst covers, but it lacks the heart and soul of the Rufus Thomas original.

And dare I say, Aerosmith did a decent cover, but again inferior to the Rufus original.

Aerosmith's MTV unplugged version is probably the best of them all.

Date: February 1, 2016 23:41

Big Al
LeonidP
Come On

Brian's backup vocals work well, here. Perhaps not elsewhere; though I cannot recll specifics on what he vocalises on elsewhere. He was preferable to Bill, anyhow! I do agree about Suzie Q. Rather a weak rendition.

I paid no attention to 'Walking the dog' back in -64, and Suzie Q from Stones 2 I can't even remember I Heard among songs like 'Off the Hook ' and such...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 1, 2016 23:50

I've loved this since I was nine years old - this song was to me like maybe your mother and father were to you
No no, I mean: This track sounds great, chainsaw and all. Unkempt and lively. Just like the Rolling Stones

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 2, 2016 18:22

I enjoyed this track at the time and still do, great Keith guitar solo

Date: February 2, 2016 18:34

runaway

Indeed; in fact their debut is littered with great Keith solo's. I shouldn't think their were too many lead-guitarists in the beat-music scene who could quite match Keith. He was definitely one of the hottest lead-guitarists, part of a group. He's thought-of as the 'riff-master' and rhythm-guitarist extraordinaire; yet, pre-Jumpin' Jack Flash, it was about those solos: Route 66, Little By Little, Bye Bye Johnny and She Said Yeah. In fact; too many to mention!

Date: February 2, 2016 18:43

Big Al
runaway

Indeed; in fact their debut is littered with great Keith solo's. I shouldn't think their were too many lead-guitarists in the beat-music scene who could quite match Keith. He was definitely one of the hottest lead-guitarists, part of a group. He's thought-of as the 'riff-master' and rhythm-guitarist extraordinaire; yet, pre-Jumpin' Jack Flash, it was about those solos: Route 66, Little By Little, Bye Bye Johnny and She Said Yeah. In fact; too many to mention!

Big Al - thank you for your great text, and yes Keith was a driving force and it's amazing he did a lot of great guitar parts by himself on some tracks, to name one: "Gimme Shelter" for me their greatest song

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: February 3, 2016 03:59

DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Indeed .....[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 3, 2016 05:24

ultimaterocker
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Hmmm...gotta go with the electrified studio version which is better in every way, but I suppose it's a matter of personal preference.

Not a huge Aerosmith fan by any means, but their first few albums had a few nice tunes on them.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 10:54

Love it

Rod

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: February 3, 2016 12:13

Love it

Date: February 3, 2016 12:15

Hairball
ultimaterocker
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Hmmm...gotta go with the electrified studio version which is better in every way, but I suppose it's a matter of personal preference.

Not a huge Aerosmith fan by any means, but their first few albums had a few nice tunes on them.

Walking The Dog included smiling smiley

Date: February 3, 2016 18:09

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
ultimaterocker
DandelionPowderman
Hairball

Walking The Dog included smiling smiley

Indeed. thumbs up

My best friend was the ultimate die-hard Aerosmith fan back in those days, so I'm familiar with their catalogue up until Night in the Ruts.
He had a car before I did when we were 16 , and it was nearly non stop Aerosmith full blast...I had to endure it to get rides to high school, etc.
Could have been much worse I suppose, but then again he wouldn't have been my best friend had it been lol.
On the bright side, it was crap like Aerosmith c.79 that led me to explore punk rock and reggae, so thanks and praises to them. thumbs up

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 3, 2016 18:46

smiling smiley

Rory Gallagher & Frankie Miller

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 3, 2016 21:00

Big Al
runaway

Indeed; in fact their debut is littered with great Keith solo's. I shouldn't think their were too many lead
-guitarists in the beat-music scene who could quite match Keith. He was definitely one of the hottest lead-guitarists, part of a group. He's thought-of as the 'riff-master' and rhythm-guitarist extraordinaire; yet, pre-Jumpin' Jack Flash, it was about those solos: Route 66, Little By Little, Bye Bye Johnny and She Said Yeah. In fact; too many to mention!

thumbs up Yes back when Keith fancied himself a lead guitarist. grinning smiley I often wonder what it was that kept him from further developing those skills since it seemed such a big part of his early persona. Perhaps it was guitarists like Clapton, Jeff Beck and Hendrix or perhaps it was just when his songwriter persona took over and he realized the importance of the rhythm and groove.

Date: February 3, 2016 23:08

Naturalust
Big Al
runaway

Indeed; in fact their debut is littered with great Keith solo's. I shouldn't think their were too many lead
-guitarists in the beat-music scene who could quite match Keith. He was definitely one of the hottest lead-guitarists, part of a group. He's thought-of as the 'riff-master' and rhythm-guitarist extraordinaire; yet, pre-Jumpin' Jack Flash, it was about those solos: Route 66, Little By Little, Bye Bye Johnny and She Said Yeah. In fact; too many to mention!

thumbs up Yes back when Keith fancied himself a lead guitarist. grinning smiley I often wonder what it was that kept him from further developing those skills since it seemed such a big part of his early persona. Perhaps it was guitarists like Clapton, Jeff Beck and Hendrix or perhaps it was just when his songwriter persona took over and he realized the importance of the rhythm and groove.

Keith's power are his riffs he learned from: "The Great American Blues Musicians" and made his own.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home