Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: LIVE ALBUM TALK: Some Girls Live In Texas '78
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 15, 2016 17:53

Fantastic album! An amazing time when The Rolling Stones actually felt their new album was a strong hard hitting statement that needed to be played live, and they played all the songs live on that tour (except Some Girls! Don't know why! Probably because Jessie Jackson being pissed about the black girls line!). They are on fire. Totally locked in and playing hard hitting raunchy rock n' roll without the big fanfare. Amazing! Great quality too and sounds great on vinyl!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 16, 2016 00:05

Watching this now, it's so good.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 16, 2016 00:32

It's brilliant.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 27, 2016 14:54

Been on a kick of watching this a lot lately as well as Let's Spend The Night Together. I guess I have to say that the 1978 and 1981 tours were my favorites, even if they weren't always the pinnacle of the band's live playing; the shows of that era just had a super fun vibe to them. I know that LSTNT doesn't have the greatest sound but I think it does a great job of capturing the vibe of the huge stadium shows of the time, whereas SGLIT captures the vibe of the smaller shows. I'm stuck home recovering from hernia surgery and just love passing the time with these shows!

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 27, 2016 15:39

For me this is the best Stones release ever. They were on the very top of the game. Wild. Competent. Inspired. Pure rock'n'roll.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 27, 2016 17:23

whitem8
they played all the songs live on that tour (except Some Girls! Don't know why! Probably because Jessie Jackson being pissed about the black girls line!).

I've never thought much about it, but I always assumed they just thought the song was too slow and not commercial enough for live playing, especially behind all those great (semi-)hit songs on the same album. Historically, I believe they censored themselves less live than they had to do on albums, radio stations, tv shows, etc. (One example being Starfvcker.) But who knows. They could have played the song on at least a few shows, I would have loved hearing it on boots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-27 17:24 by LieB.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: April 27, 2016 17:44

HMS
Could be great if there werent so many SG-songs. Imo, most live albums songwise and musically are better than this one, even YaYa´s is better. Glorious L.A. Friday sits on top of all live albums, followed by extremely powerful and vital Shine A Light.

Shine a Light???

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 27, 2016 17:57

HonkeyTonkFlash
... I have to say that the 1978 and 1981 tours were my favorites, even if they weren't always the pinnacle of the band's live playing; the shows of that era just had a super fun vibe to them...

Totally agree, that era of tours was great, but still, I like '69/Yayas thru '73/Brussels as my top favorite 'live' Stones era.

The main reason is that I could easily listen to the live shows and they are just as good, or better, than the studio albums. '78 to '81 is close, but any other era, not so much.

Date: April 27, 2016 18:11

LeonidP
HonkeyTonkFlash
... I have to say that the 1978 and 1981 tours were my favorites, even if they weren't always the pinnacle of the band's live playing; the shows of that era just had a super fun vibe to them...

Totally agree, that era of tours was great, but still, I like '69/Yayas thru '73/Brussels as my top favorite 'live' Stones era.

The main reason is that I could easily listen to the live shows and they are just as good, or better, than the studio albums. '78 to '81 is close, but any other era, not so much.

Yes - we're pretty much on the same page here! 1969 - 1973 is probably musically superior for live Stones, but I guess I'm partial to the 1978 and 1981 tour because they were the first tours I got to witness firsthand as a wide-eyed Stones fanatic. You never forget your initiation into the live Stones experience!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 27, 2016 18:37

HonkeyTonkFlash
LeonidP
HonkeyTonkFlash

Yes - we're pretty much on the same page here! 1969 - 1973 is probably musically superior for live Stones, but I guess I'm partial to the 1978 and 1981 tour because they were the first tours I got to witness firsthand as a wide-eyed Stones fanatic. You never forget your initiation into the live Stones experience!

'81 JFK for me! I wrote every song they played on my arm, so that I would make sure, if i came across a bootleg, it would be complete!

Date: April 27, 2016 18:37

Leeds or the Marquee 1971 are not musically superior to Live In Texas 1978, imo.

The Roundhouse is, however, and that's the Stones in a nutshell...

Date: April 27, 2016 18:43

LeonidP
HonkeyTonkFlash
LeonidP
HonkeyTonkFlash

'81 JFK for me! I wrote every song they played on my arm, so that I would make sure, if i came across a bootleg, it would be complete!

Cool! My first was JFK, 1978. 1981 at the same venue was my second!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-27 18:44 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: April 27, 2016 18:47

DandelionPowderman
Leeds or the Marquee 1971 are not musically superior to Live In Texas 1978, imo.

True, but I think when a lot of people refer to 1969 to 1973 as being musically superior they are really talking about the whole Taylor vs. Wood debate. As a guitarist, I'm well aware that Taylor was the technically better musician, but what can I say? I'm still partial to Woody!

Date: April 27, 2016 22:15

HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

True, but I think when a lot of people refer to 1969 to 1973 as being musically superior they are really talking about the whole Taylor vs. Wood debate. As a guitarist, I'm well aware that Taylor was the technically better musician, but what can I say? I'm still partial to Woody!

Musically, to me, means how the whole band performs - together.

Date: April 27, 2016 22:51

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

I agree with you! However, it seems like a lot of people get hung up solely on the lead guitarist. I see a lot of that whenever the Taylor vs. Wood stuff comes up. I disagree with that mentality but I see a lot of it in Stonesland. For example, I think the Stones operate as an excellent musical BAND on Some Girls Live in Texas, but there are people who sadly think that music is inferior to anything the band did with Mick Taylor simply because MT isn't playing leads. I'm with you, though. I like to appreciate a band as something greater than the sum of it's parts.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 27, 2016 23:07

DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

My opinion is that Wood is not inferior to Taylor, this is just the opinion of some, are two completely different guitarists ...

Date: April 27, 2016 23:12

Testify
DandelionPowderman
HonkeyTonkFlash
DandelionPowderman

My opinion is that Wood is not inferior to Taylor, this is just the opinion of some, are two completely different guitarists ...

From a guitarist's perspective, Taylor is - or was capable of playing things that may have been too difficult for Wood's abilities. Then again, while Wood's style is generally simpler, he can pull off some pretty flashy stuff when he wants to! But yes, they are two very different musicians, each with his own style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-27 23:17 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 30, 2016 09:38

Not being a completist I have until now resisted purchasing - though I did see the movie and yes it's great - but this thread has whet my appetite for it. Sold!

Date: May 20, 2016 06:49

Can anyone tell me whether it's worth the extra money to get this on blu-ray? I have it already on dvd and it's still sealed. I'm wondering if the audio will be better on blu-ray?

Charles Baudelaire
1827-1867

Date: May 20, 2016 06:53

Ditto the "Ladies and Gentlemen..." video. Anyone out there have the blu-ray? Is it worth the extra dollars to get the blu-ray of this one?

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 20, 2016 12:08

charlesbaudelaire
Ditto the "Ladies and Gentlemen..." video. Anyone out there have the blu-ray? Is it worth the extra dollars to get the blu-ray of this one?

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

I have very little experience from bluray, but all recent editions of the Ladies & Gents movie are known to have a pretty bad sound mix, so a bluray of that film is probably a waste. Sadly.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 20, 2016 16:33

HMS
Could be great if there werent so many SG-songs. Imo, most live albums songwise and musically are better than this one, even YaYa´s is better. Glorious L.A. Friday sits on top of all live albums, followed by extremely powerful and vital Shine A Light.

Then to your illogic there are too many new and recent songs on LA Friday and therefor it sucks.

Extremely powerful and vital Shine A Light... for the smell of a portalet. So you really do like bad things.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 12, 2018 15:34

Listened to it again thiz morning after quite a while - superlative stuff indeed! That last 3 or 4 minutes of JJF is astonishing; a band firing on every visceral cylinder. The film for me was one of the greatest Stones releases in my 25 years as a fan. Seeing a full 1978 show in such quality and with the band so on fire was revelatory.

The live catalogue is so extensive now, I love having it. I find myself listening to the live albums (official and boots) more than the studio albums.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: August 12, 2018 19:25

My favorite live release. A truly inspired show. When the Whip comes down, Love in Vain and JJF are highlights for me.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 12, 2018 19:33

Favorite music video. Top of their game in 1978 there. Even if I favour 1969.
But the video/audio quality is better here.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: August 12, 2018 20:04

This is for me: TOP!
And especially the Japanese metal box with included: DVD, Blu-Ray and CD.
One missing is the LP's for the price you had to buy it.
I've put the Lp's into the box the "compleet" it in my way.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: August 13, 2018 09:15

HMS

LA Friday is ruined by Jagger's Angry dog barking vocals.

Date: August 13, 2018 09:50

Perfection! And the "oldies" (ADTL, HTW, BS and JJF) sound fantastic thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 13, 2018 11:24

I love it and i sort of agree about the overall group sound being great but if i have to prove a slammer wrong I pick 1972 or 1973 anytime. I love 75 and 76 as well but im not going to win anybody over with LA Friday.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 14, 2018 03:35

tioms
This is for me: TOP!
And especially the Japanese metal box with included: DVD, Blu-Ray and CD.
One missing is the LP's for the price you had to buy it.
I've put the Lp's into the box the "compleet" it in my way.

Good idea. Doesn't it also include a t-shirt? I think so.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1660
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home