Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Tax Returns
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: January 11, 2016 22:53

Although not a fan of OT posts, I just had to say that whoever created the UK self-assessment tax form should be punished severely, physically and publicly.

A good kicking just to start things off would be rather jolly.
I hope his or her screams would be louder than mine (if that's possible) while I attempted this hideous task.

Re: OT Tax Returns
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 11, 2016 23:19

I used to work for them; do you need any help ?

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: January 11, 2016 23:37

tomcasagranda

Actually, I do know an accountant but right now I need the help of a doctor to calm my nerves!

How kind of you to offer, tomcasagranda. I guess I just wanted to shout out my frustrations.

You don't know the name and address including post code of the person responsible for this torture do you?

Date: January 11, 2016 23:51

I know they're exasperating.

I last worked there in 2007, and was glad to get out: I found it way too institutionalised for a free spirited classics graduate like myself. I find working for the private sector, albeit far removed from tax, a lot more fun nowadays.

I actually hate getting sick nowadays, but the sick leave at HMRC was me topping up the holiday leave.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 12, 2016 01:04

Try dealing with Comcast.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 12, 2016 01:12

Ask Sir Michael. He knows everything about avoiding taxation. Maybe you should consider leaving your country and move to the Cayman Islands or something?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 12, 2016 01:47

Harlem Shuffler
tomcasagranda

How kind of you to offer, tomcasagranda. I guess I just wanted to shout out my frustrations.

[Smile] I'm an alumnus of the Canuck system myself and we are actually a helpful lot once released from the pillory! Maybe a stiff drink (Paulywaul would likely be good company if you can round him up, just climb on a rooftop and howl "British Airways and Touts are the spawn of Satan" and he should appear). Once your nerves are settled, someone can likely lead you through it.

In the meantime, enjoy some Tax Humour. It makes some Dudes around here giggle...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 12, 2016 01:56

Put if off for as long as I could before writing two humongous checks to the feds right before the new year. Broke again, courtesy of Uncle Sam.

I feel your pain.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 12, 2016 02:57

Your system seems obsolete. Here in Sweden you'll get a code with which you can log on to the net and acknowledge your declaration (which is already counted for). It takes roughly five minutes to do so.
This is the way 90 percent of Swedish taxpayers do their declarations. The last decile are the Jagger types who spends hours and hours trying to avoid their taxes...

Date: January 12, 2016 13:57

Stoneage
Your system seems obsolete. Here in Sweden you'll get a code with which you can log on to the net and acknowledge your declaration (which is already counted for). It takes roughly five minutes to do so.
This is the way 90 percent of Swedish taxpayers do their declarations. The last decile are the Jagger types who spends hours and hours trying to avoid their taxes...

It ain't Jagger that spends hours and hours trying to avoid taxes; Mick is worth millions and would have the best accountants, best financial advisors, able to assist in avoiding tax where necessary. If you had the same amount of money that Jagger has, you'd do likewise.

Date: January 12, 2016 14:07

Stoneage

If it's similar to the norwegian system you don't have to do anything if the information is correct. You have to read and check, that's it.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 12, 2016 21:07

If you want hideous with regards to tax forms, please come live in the USA. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 13, 2016 01:41

...I think I had better keep my mouth shut on this one...grinning smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 13, 2016 02:13

BluzDude

Yes, you probably should...busy time of year for you now, eh? winking smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 13, 2016 04:43

BluzDude

But did you giggle?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 13, 2016 15:20

that time of the year to pay the piper

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 13, 2016 17:16

tomcasagranda
Stoneage

It ain't Jagger that spends hours and hours trying to avoid taxes; Mick is worth millions and would have the best accountants, best financial advisors, able to assist in avoiding tax where necessary. If you had the same amount of money that Jagger has, you'd do likewise.

Well, not everyone would.
Macca and many other celebs, some with higher incomes and tax demands than Mick have chosen to stay in the UK and just pay up.
Charlie (less income agreed, but still substantial) has been a UK resident since 1977,so he only took a 6 year tax break.

It is galling though to us mere mortals. The group left the UK in 1971 owing huge amounts of back tax, which they and their Advisers/Managers must have been aware needed paying. Ad it happened, according to Prince Rupert's book, in the end they only had to pay back a fraction.

I, mere mortal have just been advised of a £168 tax credit debt which dates back to 2004/5..and HAS to be paid!

Date: January 13, 2016 17:23

jlowe
tomcasagranda
Stoneage

Well, not everyone would.
Macca and many other celebs, some with higher incomes and tax demands than Mick have chosen to stay in the UK and just pay up.
Charlie (less income agreed, but still substantial) has been a UK resident since 1977,so he only took a 6 year tax break.

It is galling though to us mere mortals. The group left the UK in 1971 owing huge amounts of back tax, which they and their Advisers/Managers must have been aware needed paying. Ad it happened, according to Prince Rupert's book, in the end they only had to pay back a fraction.

I, mere mortal have just been advised of a £168 tax credit debt which dates back to 2004/5..and HAS to be paid!

After 1977 he didn't have to pay over 85 percent tax, which was the case when they fled..

Date: January 13, 2016 17:48

latebloomer
BluzDude

Yes, you probably should...busy time of year for you now, eh? winking smiley

That's what most people think, Actually it can be quite the opposite because tax preparers are too busy doing tax returns, they don't want to be bothered by "us".

Date: January 13, 2016 17:49

SomeTorontoGirl
BluzDude

But did you giggle?

You know it!grinning smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 13, 2016 18:02

Really? I find them rather easy, and I'm not Brit. Usually it takes me 30 to 40 minutes (I have no accountant). The most annoying thing, I find, is the digital seal, or whatever you call it, that works only with Internet Explorer.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 13, 2016 18:52

I rather enjoy doing other peoples taxes.
Especially complicated stuff with cross border issues is fun.
I guess im the only one who views it like this

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 13, 2016 20:24

Whale

Maybe because it makes you richer, while your customer gets poorer

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 13, 2016 23:21

The Joker
Whale

Maybe because it makes you richer, while your customer gets poorer
I only do it in my spare time. Not for money.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home